Why is MAC so popular?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Month ago I would ask the same question.

Here in Poland, MAC started to get attention only less than a year, but I have noticed that it's extra-popular in other countries.

I was wondering all the time why their products are so hyped-up, so I tried to check it.

And I was so amazed by the results... First off all, MAC products are able to survive a whole day on my face and I always had a problem with keeping the make-up, especially powders, for longer. I also love a colour range they offer.

I only wish prices were lower, like everybody I think...

well, i haven't used any of their foundations since i'm more of a tinted moisturizer person (i use Bobbi Brown in Medium tint). i really like the concealers that comes out in a pot, and i tried the blot powder and so far i really like it, but i ran out of it and i need to buy another one.

i like MAC because of their extensive shade collection, whether it'll be for the eyes, cheeks, or lips, yet they are good quality makeup. i also like their back-2-mac program. i got like 2 free l/g.

what i like about MAC more is their makeup brushes. its best to spend on a brush with good quality.

with all the stuff i've bought at mac, so far none has disappointed me yet.

I'm a more natural look [bobbi Brown] person, but I still like MAC for its wide color range and excellent lipsticks. Their lip pencils are also excellent.

I like M.A.C for the followin reasons:

1. Range and variety of eye colors and blushers

2. Lasting power

3. Pigmentation

I have a renewed appreciation for MAC.

I had a terrible experience with a concealer that was sold to me by a MAC associate. From then on, I tried other brands and my staples have been Cle de Peau and Shu Uemura and other japanese brands (Majolica Majorca's mascaras are to die for).

I gave MAC another try this year due to this forum. And I'm glad I did.

The eyeshadows work well if combined with my Shu, Kanebo & Cle de Peau eyeshadows.

The mineralized eyeshadows are fun!

The color variety is just amazing. It caters to all skin of color.

MAC is a truly FUN makeup line. Some colors are just too bright and colorful for me, but am sure some people's personality can pull that off.

I love MAC's unique colors that I just can't find anywhere else. That, and on a shallow note, some of my best friends are MAC makeup artists and the customer service is incredible-better than anyone else in my opinion.

Personally the reason why i love MAC so much is the colors are just great! There is no other cosmetics company that makes e/s this bright or in so many different colors/shades

Mac is a great line,like Stila.. Just too expensive, there are knock-offs of cheaper lines like:Wet and Wild,Prestige,Milani;just to name a few.

You are just paying for the label. I would be just as happy to make my own label. Cheap Makeup Rules!!!

It is affoarable compared to most brands, great color payoff, and it caters to all. The selection of colors are so wide. They have one of the best eyeshadows out there.The products are versitle and last a long time. The makeup also has great staying powder.

Come to think of it, the only make-up that I don't wear of MAC is my eyeliner, which will change very soon since I've brought it to my attention (and I'm not pleased with my current pencil)! In the past, I've only worn eyeliner occasionally, but I'm starting to wear it almost daily; I need a pick-me-up.

As I've stated in other posts about MAC, the staying power is phenomenal; the colors are dashing; and I feel like a million bucks when I'm wearing it. I was in the doctor's office the other day, and a woman all of 67 years old said, "Your face looks flawless!" I got all blushy. It was MAC Studio Fix (Stick) too, with Blot Powder. I always spread it thin, though. I also had on Select Cover-up Concealer and Matte primer.

Mac is a great line. I don't like everything in it but they do have some great products.

The price point of mac is great which I think is why a lot of people flock to it. The colors have a lot of pigment which is great. What you see is what you get rather than buying a color you like only to get it home it is nothing like what is in the pan.

Yes, there are a lot of people who wear a lot of makeup who love mac but most of them do a hell of a nice job with their artistry. Also, mac has so many colors. A soft natural look is easily acheiveable.

It is just a very nice artist line. Colors and formulas are outstanding. But as I said there are things in the line I don't care for. I am not loyal to one line so I pick out what works for me from each of them.

Originally Posted by Scarlette /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hello guys and gals...
I have a question to ask of everyone. Totally honestly, openly. What's so great about MAC?

I've talked to a wide range of people over the years about why they like or dislike MAC.

Things I don't like about it:

Most of the time, you can tell someone is wearing MAC just by looking at their face. Heavy pigmented eyeshadows, some very matte, dramatic, powdery look. Studio Fix is a dead on giveaway when I look at the skin. The lipsticks are always in odd colors, some are just too matte and dry looking. I've found lipsticks that I LOVE From MAC, but the texture isn't comfortable. I believe MAC is great for going out, pictures, stage, etc, but not for everyday. My dermotologist does not recommend MAC at all, she's heard too many stories about facial breakouts. Eyeshadows do crease easily, even with a good base. Stuff is always discontinued. Don't know about your local MAC stores, but the employees are very snobby and rude. I worked at MAC today for one hour and I wanted to cry. I couldn't believe how the customers were treated.

Things I do like:

They always have something new, but that causes discontinuation of some good older products. I look forward to the new "looks" and going through the look book is always fun. A lot of variety as far a color goes. Pretty colors with a lot of glittery effects. Recycle programs and charity programs. The eyelashes are great quality.

I honestly wish that MAC didn't feel so heavy. I like a lot of the colors and the coverage of the powders, but seems too thick for someone with sensitive skin like me! I would totally be a MAC girl for life if I didn't feel every speck of makeup on my face.

I am just curious to know other opinions about this brand and why it's so popular. Please chime in!

I absolutely love MAC makeup. I love it for going out, or any time of the day. The products are amazing!! If you feel like its to heavy try the other foundations that they have availabe. Try the select cover up concealer, use that very lightly on your face. It gives you such great coverage and still feels light on your skin. If you want something even lighter than that try the spf 15 tint. Some people might have an allergic reaction to the products because they contain TALC. Talc helps your skin by making it look more refreshed. A common reaction to this would be small bumbs on the skin.. and many confuse this for breakouts. Another reason why people might break out is because they are not washing their face properly. If you are going to wear silicone based products like studio tech or stidio fix fluid then you have to wash your face with something that is silicone based as well like our wipes and our cleanse off oil (which is absolutely amazing) to deeply cleanse the skin. Also, its important to clean your brushes properly....

I recommend the strobe cream mixed with your foundation to make it a little lighter and it gives you such a healthy glow.. spray some fix plus on top.. its gorgeous!!!!

Just found this thread. I have to say I am not a MAC fan, I have tried the primer & foundation, & even though my skin almost never breaks out after wearing it 3 times and having really bad breakouts each time, I am going to take the greasy products back.

Some of the colours might be great for parties/the pm but I like more natural looking colours for the day/most of the time. The sizes of e/s etc are really small & $$$ o/side the USA.

Also I had a MAC MUA do my makeup for a wedding & the foundation/powder were the wrong colour & the lip gloss was so gloppy it was running/bleeding had to keep wiping it all the time. The makeup looked so bad, it was horrible. The bride's foundation looked unnatural too & the makeup came out so flat/dull looking & unpretty in the photos. I could have done a better job myself.

Originally Posted by weavee /img/forum/go_quote.gif Just found this thread. I have to say I am not a MAC fan, I have tried the primer & foundation, & even though my skin almost never breaks out after wearing it 3 times and having really bad breakouts each time, I am going to take the greasy products back. Some of the colours might be great for parties/the pm but I like more natural looking colours for the day/most of the time. The sizes of e/s etc are really small & $$$ o/side the USA.

Also I had a MAC MUA do my makeup for a wedding & the foundation/powder were the wrong colour & the lip gloss was so gloppy it was running/bleeding had to keep wiping it all the time. The makeup looked so bad, it was horrible. The bride's foundation looked unnatural too & the makeup came out so flat/dull looking & unpretty in the photos. I could have done a better job myself.

Ooops forgot to say it was Strobe that made me break out & I do wash my face & brushes properly.

Originally Posted by jbirdjr /img/forum/go_quote.gif Personally the reason why i love MAC so much is the colors are just great! There is no other cosmetics company that makes e/s this bright or in so many different colors/shades Mattese NYC has colors that are just as vibrant as MAC and the same assortment of colors.
sheep.gif

Originally Posted by L281173 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I think that MAC is so popular because of its strong marketing stratetgies and the campaigns that are forcasted to the mainstream public. It also boasts the ideals of diversity which appeals to my women worldwide especially women of color.
sheep.gif
BINGO! Somebody finally said it. ^
applaus.gif

A company does not get high accolades for merely providing good products. There were other companies out there who have probably produced better stuff than MAC who went under because they rested upon the simple fact that their makeup line was "better". It doesn't work that way.

It is 100% about active advertising, marketing, campaigning, endorsements. If you never saw it, you would never buy it.

You only find out if something is of good use when you buy it. And you only buy something, if you see it. Excellent advertising and subsequent word of mouth is what gets MAC the sales.

Back