Worst Ipsy products?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the moxie lipstick and lip gloss last month were good universal colors for the most part.   Some people may not have liked them, but I didn't think they were weird colors. 

I think some folks got some nice colors in the Nov bag with the EM lipstick - I got nude :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Why does ipsy continue to send me NUDE lipsticks when I state I loathe the color?  Anyway, they have, since I've joined, done a couple of nice lip products, but for the most part - yeah - they are weird colors.

I did like the Jcat lip pencil.  I thought that was nice.  But Jcat is on my list of vendors to avoid.  I do not find them to be that great.  Now, Jesse's Girl is a cheapo brand I DO like!!   And they never send me those products - lol

Quote: Originally Posted by beautygroove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  What do you think is the worst product that Ipsy has ever sent you?

For me it was in December 2013 bag, the Be A Bombshell One Stick. I gave it a chance by swatching it and wearing it on my cheeks. However, the color I got was terrible. It was like rubbing clear, pink glitter on me. Too glittery and sticky. I never wore it and tossed it a month later. It was just awful and smelly.

Some honorable mentions are the Pixi bronzer and proactiv mark fading pads from past January. *shudder* 
I love my pixi bronzer. It is the lightest bronzer I could find and that is perfect for me. 

As far as things I actually used (not sold/swapped because I didn't want to try them) here is my list of hated items:

Zoya Gie Gie/Jacqueline - formula was awful.

Pacifica BB cream - gave me an orange, dirty face.

Starrily bzz bzz polish - so ugly on, gloppy city.  Bought more polishes with the discount and they are the worst formula I have ever tried.

Starlooks bare lip pencil - the freaking cap does not stay on, it drives me crazy.

Starlooks gem pencil - hated the way it looked on me.

Pop gloss - only because of the smell, I really loved the color.

Coola everything - I truly hate everything this brand makes.

I'm sure I would have a lot more if actually tried everything!

I've only been a subscriber for three months.

Things that bummed me out:

February: Those JCat lashes were just awful. The glue was a mess and didn't stick, and the lashes were a shape unlike any I've ever tried before.

March: I wasn't really crazy about anything that month. The Be A Bombshell eyeshadow quad was a huge letdown. Terrible texture and pigmentation. The whole thing just felt cheap. The Roughies polish got traded -- no way I want my nails looking like light blue sand.

April: Cailyn balm in Apple Pink is orange on me. Not even coral, but a brownish orange. Gross. I'm also not crazy about the Urban Decay liner. The consistency of mine seems off.

What do you think is the worst product that Ipsy has ever sent you? For me it was in December 2013 bag, the Be A Bombshell One Stick. I gave it a chance by swatching it and wearing it on my cheeks. However, the color I got was terrible. It was like rubbing clear, pink glitter on me. Too glittery and sticky. I never wore it and tossed it a month later. It was just awful and smelly. Some honorable mentions are the Pixi bronzer and proactiv mark fading pads from past January. *shudder* 
Wow, the BaB one stick and the Pixi bronzer are two of my all time favorite ipsy products! The bronzer is definitely my HG. I got the one stick in girl crush, the shimmery light pink. I dab a little on my fingers and then tap on my cheekbones for the perfect highlight.

Be a Bombshell lip gloss in Hot Mess. I think it was December 2011. The name is appropriate--a sticky, goopy mess on the lips, very thick. All you can see is lips, even if you put on an inch of eyeliner. This is a rare red lip color I didn't like.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  As far as things I actually used (not sold/swapped because I didn't want to try them) here is my list of hated items:

Zoya Gie Gie/Jacqueline - formula was awful.

Pacifica BB cream - gave me an orange, dirty face.

Starrily bzz bzz polish - so ugly on, gloppy city.  Bought more polishes with the discount and they are the worst formula I have ever tried.

Starlooks bare lip pencil - the freaking cap does not stay on, it drives me crazy.

Starlooks gem pencil - hated the way it looked on me.

Pop gloss - only because of the smell, I really loved the color.

Coola everything - I truly hate everything this brand makes.

I'm sure I would have a lot more if actually tried everything!

I traded to get the Starrily Bzz Bzz polish for the sole purpose of painting my nails for the Pittsburgh Penguins playoff run.  I used Essie in Blanc for a white base, then used the Bzz Bzz so I had black and yellow over it.  The glitter made the polish shrink and it was gross looking in two days. 

Definitely forgot to mention that Pacifica Alight BB cream.  It was just so gross looking on me!! 

Like several people have already said, that J Cat honeycrisp lipstick was the worst. When I think of nude lipstick, I think of it being lip-colored, not skin-colored.

I actually liked the BAB one stick, J.Cat lip pencil and honeycrisp lipstick. I don't use them all often, but definitely not on my worst list.

Mine, to repeat others, the J.Cat glitter palette. I mean, the Pop Beauty lip gloss was deadly but at least I knew where it was intended to go (on my lips). Never did figure out the glitter palette. Warnings against use on eyes. Pictures of it glittering up tatoos posted on Facebook...

IPKN BB Cream. In no universe was that a fair or light skin tone. The cream may have been nice, but it was shockingly dark and orange.

Maybe I'll be able to try it when summer comes around. 

My first bag was in September 2013.

Worst items:

Pop Beauty Lip Pencil: I got the rose color? It made me look like a corpse.

Starlooks Lip Pencil: Tipsy. Seriously? It made me look like a CLOWN.

Pop Lip Pout: GROSS SMELL

I also didnt like the proactiv wipes, the dr brandt, the cailyn balm I got this month, or the lashes, but I traded everything but the cailyn.

Another not a fan of the J.Cat glitter person here. Or lashes. 

I actually really like the BAB stick though, the texture doesn't bother me at all and the pink is really flattering on my skin tone. I use just a little bit on my cheeks and blend it in real well :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ooooooooo, tough question! But I like it! Hmmm....let's see....I've been subscribed to Ipsy since November of 2012, so I have to think back a bit. I'm usually very easy going, and try to find some way to use or wear it regardless but I'm going to have to go with these being the worst:

Juice Beauty Hydrating Mist (March 2013) - hate the smell, didn't hydrate much at all

Pixi Beauty Lash Booster Mascara (Aug 2013) - did nothing for my lashes, smudged

Style Sexy Hair Spray Clay (October 2013) - made my hair feel dirty and felt unmanageable

Ole Henriksen Truth Creme Advanced Hydration (October 2013) - hate the smell

I feel kind of sad making this list, because I absolutely ADORE my Ipsy sub, but can't love everything I guess! LOL

Jcat honeycrisp. I put it on and my face disappeared.

Jcat lashes. I hate all fake lashes, but I actually tried to put these on, and the glue was black and left black goo that wouldn't come off my eyes. Gross.

Pop plump mini. Horrid smell.

Mark fading pads. I tried them, and he didn't fade one bit.

Be a Bombshell lip crayon (November 2013) and The One Stick (December 2013) ... both sent to me in unflattering colours.

BH Cosmetics baked eyeshadow (November 2013) they sent me RED shadow.

J.Cat lashes (February 2014)

They also sent me a Mirabella lipstick to make up for the pop gloss, the colour was in Bellarina... which looks nice in the tube, but once applied its a gold and glittery. No thanks.

Mostly what others have already said...

BAB One stick - weird smell, texture and colour. I feel bad throwing it out as it's so massive!

Lashes - only got them once, but once was enough. Have not used.

Pixi mascara - lord, this was awful. Dry and flaky, no visible effect on my lashes.

Elizabeth Mott mascara - goopy and the brush sucked.

Nyx eyeshadow and blush - I got blue eyeshadow and "sand" blush. Probably nice enough in other colours...

The "coconut" lotion that smelled like baby vomit - can't recall the name but it was something Organic...

Pacifica BB cream - this was orange and shimmery. Just NO!

Nailtini in Mai Tai - gross orange coral. Can't wear it on my fingers, looks dirty on my toes. This made me sad as I love polish.

BH Cosmetics California eyeshadow trio - no pigmentation.

And most recently... The UD black velvet liner was a huge let down. Flakes so badly. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been with ipsy for a year now,

May: Loved it all, fantastic first bag!

Jun: eyelashes, a dirty looking cream nyx blush, and that awful jcat glitter pallette.

Jul: The sexy hair beach spray, made my hair look & feel dirty & unmanageable.

Aug: No compliants, great bag

Sep: The whole bag, it would have been better if I actually got colors that worked for me.

Oct: Didn't care for the blow dry gel.

Nov: The Em lip balm, no color pay off and tastes like burnt plastic.

Dec: The NYX lipstick, only because I got it in an awful color that reminded me of my time in Middle School during the early 90's!

Jan:The Elizabeth Mott shadow pencil & proactiv mark fading pads.

Feb: More eyelashes & phyto-c gel.

Mar: Another perfect bag!

Apr: The UD liner and Cailyn lip balm, both items I was excited to try, but end up being disapointed with.

I also nominate the JCat glitter palette. I totally regret even swatching that product, as it left glitter EVERYWHERE long after it hit the trash can.

MK At Play gloss in Teddy Bare -- terrible shade on me, and pooled more opaque in my lip lines. Not a good look.

Pop Beauty Plump Pout -- still haven't received a response/replacement for this defective product from Pop

Elizabeth Mott Smooth Shadow Pencil -- I had high hopes, but glitter fallout is a deal breaker for me.

Proactiv Mark Fading Pads 

Be a Bombshell One Stick in Flustered -- I can't believe they suggest you wear these shades on your eyes

JCat Lip Crayon in Rosebud -- Had high hopes as I rarely meet a lip crayon I don't like, but this one was orange-red and opaque

Be a Bombshell Lip Crayon in Shameless -- Had high hopes again, but the glitter in the formula looks cheap.

Pop Beauty lip crayon in Rose Romance -- High hopes again, but the color was chalky and opaque.

On the other hand, I LOVED the Yaby concealer mini pan and the Glam Rx palette. In fact, I still carry around the Glam Rx palette daily.

Back