Worst Ipsy products?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh god, I actually bought the body wash, perfume and lotion. It smells grate in the bottle, but to me smells kind of like diapers when it's one. I can't stand it.

That blood orange though. It's awesome.
Oh no! I had a similar experience when I placed a Demeter order. Everyone was always seemingly raving about them when Ipsy sends them out so I figured I'd place an order. Everything I ordered from them was a huge NO!! Horrible. So horrible.

Pacifica bronzing butter whatever crap it was. I love pacifica but anything bronzing lotion is just no. Nope. I was actually so mad I got that. I tried it and orange city. Ive had 15 bags and other than Ive like pretty much everything. Oh....no. I forgot. I just do not like zoya. My last one was ok, but my 1st two were so gloopy. I hated them.

-Jcat honey crisp.

-Lashes!!!

-Chella blue liner only because I was so excited for it and it dried up.

Someone mentioned they felt the Pacifica Indian Coconut body butter smelled like Play-Doh, I feel like my sample was wonderful, as was the full-size I ordered, however the hand lotion in that scent definitely had a Play-Doh smell! Also, I bought a small size of the vanilla island body butter and I don't care for it, it has a peppery scent to it :-(.

Also, lots of people who say the Pacifica BB cream and bronzing butter is too orangy, I must have the right complexion for both those products.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone mentioned they felt the Pacifica Indian Coconut body butter smelled like Play-Doh, I feel like my sample was wonderful, as was the full-size I ordered, however the hand lotion in that scent definitely had a Play-Doh smell! Also, I bought a small size of the vanilla island body butter and I don't care for it, it has a peppery scent to it :-(.
I agree, I adore the Pacifica Indian Coconut Nectar lotion. I'm on my second tube of it, it's one of my all time faves. I have a friend who has been wearing that lotion for about 3 years and every time she walks by she smells so good. I also use the Blood Orange and think it's amazing. I have the Island Vanilla and the Malibu Lemon Blossom too, I like them enough but they're not my favorites.

• The Chella Eyeliner pen didn't work out.  Even with an eye shadow base it didn't stay in place and looked like blue eye shadow on my eyelids by the end of my workday.

The One Stick was a poppy red which isn't a good look on eyelids.  It was too dark even when used extremely sparingly as blush and drying when used on my lips.
PopBeauty lip gloss smelled bad - I refuse to purchase anything from PopBeauty now.
Demeter Jasmine perfume smelled earthy in kind of a gross way which made me sad because I usually like Jasmine and I wanted to like it.
Starlooks Gem eyeliner pencil seemed to be imprecise.

Funny you should mention Play-Doh lotion, because one of my coworkers had some Burt's Bees lotion at work the other night, and it smelled so identical to Play-Doh that by the end of the night I was convinced someone had hidden a jar of Play-Doh somewhere to screw with me. I wonder what causes that?

Weirdly, while I've swapped away some of my ipsy stuff, I haven't yet gotten anything I would have hated to keep. Worst of the bunch was the UD liner, I suppose, because my prior experience with their liners has not been great, but I didn't even try it because I don't generally wear black. It looks like hell on me, generally. 

Of course, I've only been subbed to ipsy for three months.

My worst were May's Pacifica eyeshadow which is worse than the crappiest eyeshadow I've ever used - it barely shows up on me, and I'm super pale - and the ProActiv pads from a while back, which I just threw away immediately, because they're mostly alcohol, and I do not need to put that on my face. (Plus ProActiv is such a shady company.) Oh and that Be A Bombshell stick! I don't even know what to do with it. It's gross. I've actually liked all the other things from BaB they've sent me - I guess I've been lucky.

I got my first bag in October 2013, after 2 months on the waitlist. So far, every bag has only had 1 - 2 items I would actually use and the rest I have no interest in. (I rate everything and I've tried tweaking my quiz many times trying to figure out the algorithm so I won't receive anymore lashes, nail polishes, hair products or lotions, but no luck so far.) I maintain my subscription in hopes that one day they'll send what turns out to be an amazing product that I would never have been able to chance spending that much on just to try it and see if I like it. 

There have been a lot of products I didn't particularly like or want, but only two stand out as inherently BAD:

- Be A Bombshell One Stick, which I couldn't even apply because of the texture

- Mica Beauty Tinted Lip Balm had no tint and didn't hydrate, though it was very greasy

I've also received a few broken and/or unusable (i.e. dried up) products, but it's not really worth the time and effort to complain and try to get replacements or refunds.

What would make me a happy customer is is if we could further customize our bag preferences, but it's my understanding that Ipsy doesn't have the resources for that

I do wonder if I would be more satisfied with another subscription box. I'm sure I will eventually get fed up and take the plunge.

I almost forgot... the J.Cat lashes in February 2014 were supposed to contain glue.  The glue in my lashes was rock-hard and that wasn't a unique problem.

I love the Demeter fragrances so much because no matter which one you get, it always smells exactly like the name, even if you re not expecting it to! Whenever I've been gifted/purchased weird ones, I just re-gift them as goofy party gifts and everyone gets a kick out of them!

The worst item I've gotten so far (only been subbed since Oct '13) was the Be a Bombshell The One Stick. I got the lighter pink color and it was too light for blush but too pink for highlighting. Plus there are so many bad ingredients in that brand that even I couldn't justify using it. Yuck.

May 2013- yaby concealer

June 2013- jcat glitter palette

July- coola spf moisturizer. It stung so bad.

Sept- Jcat fantabulous lipstick in honey crisp. What were they thinking?

Nov- kiss lashes

Dec- BaB the one stick- just awful.

Feb 2014- pop beauty gloss: TOXIC, jcat lashes

April- mary Kay gloss- Ipsy why you hate me? :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

May- avene thermal water- useless, ck perfume

June- real tree perfume, BaB mascara

Nov- BaB eye base- creases badly

May 2015 bring better samples and better beuty quiz samples.

Skone eyeliner-I thought my sample was dried out, requested replacement, also dried out

Nicole by OPI -On a Gilt Trip- hideous color

BaB eye base- creases and the color is gross on me

Hang Ten Tanning Oil

JCat lip paint- red potion- I really wanted to like this but it's too messy

Temptu highlighter- does nothing for me

Other items were great products just tiny samples or weird colors. No pale brunette wants bubble gum pink colored lip products. 

Back