Worst products of 2012?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ladies , for those out there with streaky nail polish, I bought a nail polish thinner at Sally Beauty Supply that works fine. I think I bought it for about $5.00 All it takes is a few drops and it works !

A few months ago I bought a Les Senteurs Gourmandes set on Hautelook, in Vanille Bourbon. I thought I was getting a great deal: cologne, shower gel, and lotion for maybe $25, and perhaps I would have if Vanilla was what I got. Instead I received a box full of gross. It smelled like a synthetic caramel-cotton candy mess. The lotion was more like baby lotion than a moisturizer and left a sticky, greasy film that it was hard to scrub off. The scent was hard to get off, too. I smelled it in my sleep; it is in almost 35 years of perfume appreciation the only fragrance that has ever made me sick to my stomach, and kept me awake at night. I put a double serving of bath salts in my tub the next morning so I could soak the stench away. I remembered this stuff from b-glowing.com where it was promoted as a luxe, exclusive French brand. A little research and a few questions to my European Facebook friends, and it turns out that Les Senteur Gourmandes products are cheaper than a bottle of Charlie! Where Americans tend to buy cheap products in drugstores, I have been told the French sell theirs in supermarkets, like you find Secret body spray two aisles down from the toilet paper. The average retail price in most of the French stores runs to the equivalent of roughly $12 USD. At least that's what I have been told, and very likely by a Frenchman whose nostrils hopefully have a vendetta against this product for damaging the reputation of real fine French parfumerie.

Originally Posted by tevans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ladies , for those out there with streaky nail polish, I bought a nail polish thinner at Sally Beauty Supply that works fine. I think I bought it for about $5.00

All it takes is a few drops and it works !
I tried some, But It was the quality of the polish

Originally Posted by Katie-Gaslight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

- organix moroccan  oil shampoo (blue bottle) - left my hair greeeeeasy.. didn't like it at all. 
So glad I'm not the only one who didn't care for it; I still have more that I'm (eventually) going to give a proper test run, as opposed to just a couple of days....We'll see if I like it better then.

Hmm, I can think of 5 items that I've pretty much hated...

1. Sugar Rose Lip Treatment--I know that lots of people LOVE this product, but for me, it doesn't live up to the hype. It reminds me of Cherry Coke lipsmackers, but with a horrid aftertaste.

2. Skin79 Gold BB cream--Led to serious cystic acne on my chin that has taken months to clear up!

3. Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum--It did absolutely nothing for even my smallest breakouts!

4. Stainiac by the Balm--Gives me crazy blackheads on my cheeks. Although it works for me as a lipstain...

**Received as a Birchbox sample

5. Masquelogy masks--these are disgusting and slimy. There is no other way to explain them, plus I felt like it did nothing to brighten my skin.

**Also received as a Birchbox sample

Also, I agree about the CoverGirl Flatblast lipstick. The color totally fooled me, and I got a hot pink when I was expecting red. It looks crazy on my lips!

I had a horrid experience

L’oreal Go 360 Clean Cleanser Deep Facial Cleanser

Gave me the worst skin reaction of my life! I had to wear my hair like cousin it for days...went to the dermatologist and ever since been using Hydrocortisone cream.

It was that rubber piece to scrub the face...never been the same since..

Staniac...Hate it...hate it as a lipstain and a blush..so gooey....still have it, now that I think about it I am going to give it away.

It's interesting to see what people think, I love the juice beauty blemish clearing serum, I was shocked it cleard up my chin. And I love exfolikate. I was disappointed with Boscia's BB cream.. I used my Sample Society code earlier this year and bought a tube of it plus something else.. Before it came in the mail, I got a deluxe sample of it from a Sephora in-store promo (when they gave out the umbrellas). It totally makes my chin break out. Now I have a brand new tube and I can't use it. :-S anyone want to buy it from me??

For me, the biggest disappointment was the Tarte Lipsurgence.  I was so excited to finally try it but it has mint in it and mint irritates my lips something awful.  It makes them red and they sting and peel for days after using anything with mint/menthol in it. And, the color I had was Amused and it was gritty.  Not a great feeling on the lips. 

The next big disappointment was Wen.  I like my hair to feel clean and soft but the Wen left so much buildup in my hair that it just felt gross and almost crunchy.  I had the cucumber melon one and I even tried just using it as a conditioner and a leave-in, but it didn't work that way either.  I got both the Tarte and the Wen in QVC's test tube in April. 

I haven't been impressed with any BB cream that I've tried either.  I've tried Dr. Jart Waterfuse, Skin79, and Boscia.  I've found them to be to heavy for me and I usually end up oily within a couple of hours.  I had such high hopes, but I think I'll be sticking with my powder foundations.

Originally Posted by Wida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me, the biggest disappointment was the Tarte Lipsurgence.  I was so excited to finally try it but it has mint in it and mint irritates my lips something awful.  It makes them red and they sting and peel for days after using anything with mint/menthol in it. And, the color I had was Amused and it was gritty.  Not a great feeling on the lips. 

The next big disappointment was Wen.  I like my hair to feel clean and soft but the Wen left so much buildup in my hair that it just felt gross and almost crunchy.  I had the cucumber melon one and I even tried just using it as a conditioner and a leave-in, but it didn't work that way either.  I got both the Tarte and the Wen in QVC's test tube in April. 

I haven't been impressed with any BB cream that I've tried either.  I've tried Dr. Jart Waterfuse, Skin79, and Boscia.  I've found them to be to heavy for me and I usually end up oily within a couple of hours.  I had such high hopes, but I think I'll be sticking with my powder foundations.
I know what you mean about the wen. I dont care for it either. And as for the bb creams, jart and skin79 dont match my skintone, so it ends up looking gray and gross. I want to try boscia but with all this bad luck with bb creams, I don't think I would try it.

Originally Posted by Jazbot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Gave me the worst skin reaction of my life! I had to wear my hair like cousin it for days...went to the dermatologist and ever since been using Hydrocortisone cream.

Staniac...Hate it...hate it as a lipstain and a blush..so gooey....still have it, now that I think about it I am going to give it away.
Originally Posted by becarr50 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmm, I can think of 5 items that I've pretty much hated...

1. Sugar Rose Lip Treatment--I know that lots of people LOVE this product, but for me, it doesn't live up to the hype. It reminds me of Cherry Coke lipsmackers, but with a horrid aftertaste.

2. Skin79 Gold BB cream--Led to serious cystic acne on my chin that has taken months to clear up!

3. Juice Beauty Blemish Clearing Serum--It did absolutely nothing for even my smallest breakouts!

4. Stainiac by the Balm--Gives me crazy blackheads on my cheeks. Although it works for me as a lipstain...

5. Masquelogy masks--these are disgusting and slimy. There is no other way to explain them, plus I felt like it did nothing to brighten my skin.

**Also received as a Birchbox sample

Also, I agree about the CoverGirl Flatblast lipstick. The color totally fooled me, and I got a hot pink when I was expecting red. It looks crazy on my lips!
Originally Posted by Missglammygirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hmmmm, I have a bunch

Benefit sugarbomb blush-Too light

Tarte Frisky blush-Too dark

Benefit erasepaste- couldnt find a match

Elf powder foundation- It broke me out

Bareminerals pure transformation- $60 and not much help

Bably lips- Barely stays on and no benefits for my lips.

Elf concealers-They didnt work. The tone correcting and the coverstick and all over concealer

Tarte lipsurgence in amused- Gritty and the color was a bright cotton candy that didnt look right on me.

Staniac- Hardly noticable and it doesnt really stay on

Tarte bouncy maracuja blush- The color was pretty and pigmented, but I couldnt blend it to make it work, It always made me look bright red.

Color club nail polishes- Hate the formula, way too streaky
I completely forgot to add "Stainiac" from The Balm to my list of things I dislike! I got a sample in my Birchbox not that long ago, and it is absolutely terrible. I've tried it on my cheeks and my lips and it did absolutely nothing for me. It has a very bizarre texture and hardly any pigmentation. (I've used other stains before and liked them, but this one was horrible!)

Thankfully all samples:

Supergoop face sunscreen: Irritating. I had to wash it off immediately. Ouch. I'll stick w/ my Oil of Olay daily sunscreen.

Algenist anti-aging something or other. Extremely irritating to my skin.

Lancome foundation - also extremely irritating.

My search for foundation goes on. I have pretty good skin and it doesn't act up except when I try to use an "anti-aging" product.

Staniac. Stuck more to my fingers than cheeks, and basically rolled off my lips and made me look like I was bleeding.

Also not a fan of the Manna shimmer stuff from bb. It did nothing. Didn't show up, didn't highlight anything, just kind of made a mess.

I'm madly in love with the Suki scrub, but their balancing day lotion was awful. Smelled kind of like citronella bug spray stuff.

Originally Posted by becarr50 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thought I was in the minority when I found myself so underwhelmed by Stainiac. Guess not. I think I may have been spoiled by a similar Beaute product that worked fabulous on my lips. The Stainiac was just yuck.

Hmm...I have been coveting the Skin79 Oriental Gold, but you are not the first person I have encountered who has has this problem. Perhaps I should stick with my Dr. Jart+ for my dewy-look days and Missha Perfect cover when I want to use Matte. So far so good.

I have limited experience with ELF products, but I actually threw away the eyeliner I tried this year by them after a few uses. It was a pretty color and self-sharpening but it just ran and streaked all over no matter what. I was actually able to wear the Eyeko Fatstick in Petrol without that problem and that product has a *known* issue, so that just underscores that the ELF liner reached the highest level of suckage for me.

Tossed some Maybelline shadow that seemed like a good idea at the time but horrible color and pigment coverage. Won't fall for that again.

I was unsuccessful with a Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation sample, but I fear my inexperience and the age of the sample may have been factors. I really need to learn how to use a foundation brush.

I am one of those curly girls who goes through a crazy number and combo of hair products (sometimes mixing cocktails from several) in search of the perfect curl. I have found a few great products but unfortunately my hair sucks product and they don't really fit within my budget. So I guess I am in search of the best solutions that are also inexpensive. *sigh* I tried a few that were actually cheap (like around a buck), and they did not work at all. Hey, at least I tried. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Interesting what works for some and not for others--I love my Baby Lips that I've purchased! For me, my worst products (so far) have to be some Nick Chavez hair products I purchased during their St. Patrick's day sale. They smell absolutely terrible, like the worst, most chemical-filled salon you can possibly imagine. I tried them a couple of times, but I ended up getting rid of them because the stench was so strong and putrid. 
I agree on both points. I thought the baby lips were decent. I also bought the Nick Chavez products on st Patrick's day, and I am unimpressed, both with the strong smell and the weird sticky feeling in my hair. My single most disappointing product so far this year has been the Almay Wake Up Blush. Such a pretty color in the pan, but seriously no color payoff. Yeah it was just $10, but still that's $10 I had to throw out. I have also been disappointed by several Hard Candy lip products, so I just won't buy any of their lip stuff anymore. It all has either an odd texture or it smears horribly at the slightest touch. If those are my only disappointments though, I think I am doing pretty well.

Originally Posted by Jazbot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, that sucks about the L'Oreal cleanser! I bought that exact same one (the kind in the green bottle?) and I love it, especially the scrublet - I plan to keep it after I'm out of the cleanser to use with other stuff. Something in it must have just reacted badly with your skin, an allergy or something. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't care for the Josie maran felt pen. I haven't tried it on the mouth, but I tried it on my daughter's cheeks (at hm, just to sample), and it didn't blend at all. It was like a crayola marker.

I got a sample (twice!) of Guerlain's Super Aqua-Serum. It smelled like a raided my Grandma's skincare products. It smelled really strong and like something my Grandma would have used. Ugh! I don't know the full-size price but even if it was $5 I wouldn't get it. I didn't see anything oh-ah happening to my skin either.

I was pretty disappointed with Maybelline Baby Lips... Not very good pigmentation or hydration.  I'm going to stick with EOS

Back