Worst products of 2012?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2. Skin79 Gold BB cream--Led to serious cystic acne on my chin that has taken months to clear up!
Someone recommended this BB cream to me after I complained every other BB cream I tried was too pink or too dark and I fell in love with it. I have acne-prone skin and didn't have any negative reactions to it at all (was worried about this though) - so sorry it didn't work for you! :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> it's my favorite product at the moment.

I have to agree on Baby Lips. I got mine in Cherry Me Baby and it didn't do anything special for me, in addition to leaving awful chemical aftertaste.

I ended up throwing it away.

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agree! I really didn't care for the Baby Lips at all.
I also absolutely hated Sebastian Color Ignite shampoo and conditioner I got in my July Glossybox. They completely dried out my hair and it will take me another week or two to recover :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Edit: Forgot to add Color Club polishes to the fail list, their formulas are thick and streaky.

Also Maybelline Great Lash. I've tried it several times, never have had any luck with it. It just doesn't coat my lashes at all no matter what I do. I hate it.

Ugh, I second the hate for Great Lash! I used to buy it once in a while just to see if anything's changed, and also because it's always topping several Best Of Beauty lists, but I will be suckered no more! Luckily, Maybelline has other mascaras that work great for me: Full 'N Soft, and their Lash Discovery. I'll be bummed if they ever get discontinued just because they've been reliable options over the years.

I'm not too keen on the elf eyeshadows either.  Elf is really hit or miss with me, and they were chalky and didn't have great pigmentation.  If they worked how they were supposed to, I'm sure that it would be my go-to product.

Originally Posted by Anneke V /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thankfully all samples:

Supergoop face sunscreen: Irritating. I had to wash it off immediately. Ouch. I'll stick w/ my Oil of Olay daily sunscreen.

Algenist anti-aging something or other. Extremely irritating to my skin.

Lancome foundation - also extremely irritating.

My search for foundation goes on. I have pretty good skin and it doesn't act up except when I try to use an "anti-aging" product.
Which foundation was it?  I have the Teint Miracle and I love it! Just be careful if you have dry skin because it is slightly drying.

I find this list so interesting because many of the things mentioned are some of my favorite products this year haha. I absolutely adore Stainiac as a natural looking cheek stain and Skin79 bb cream has literally been all I use since I first tried it out. I had really bad cystic acne and my skin has never been clearer since I switched from normal foundations to the bb cream. I also got a color club polish in Blue Ming that I really love so I'm surprised to hear about so many having bad formulas. 

As far as my worst products go....the new Maybelline and L'oreal BB creams take the cake by far. One was the color of man n cheese and the other made me look like a burn victim

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find this list so interesting because many of the things mentioned are some of my favorite products this year haha. I absolutely adore Stainiac as a natural looking cheek stain and Skin79 bb cream has literally been all I use since I first tried it out. I had really bad cystic acne and my skin has never been clearer since I switched from normal foundations to the bb cream. I also got a color club polish in Blue Ming that I really love so I'm surprised to hear about so many having bad formulas. 

As far as my worst products go....the new Maybelline and L'oreal BB creams take the cake by far. One was the color of man n cheese and the other made me look like a burn victim

I still can't get over how BAD those are. Man.. It's a good thing you have a sense of humor about terrible beauty products.

funny reading how some peoples favs are others nightmares, I happen to like baby lips, it serves the purpose, I use it when I feel a bit dry usually when I am not going out, my 12 year old uses it too and its a lip balm so no high expectations there. I do however have to share that the bh cosmetics blush palette was not a fav for me, not the worst but it is worth the price. I may give it to my daughter to put in her makeup kit (she has one just to play with, she doesnt wear it out the house:) )

Originally Posted by Roni917 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

funny reading how some peoples favs are others nightmares, I happen to like baby lips, it serves the purpose, I use it when I feel a bit dry usually when I am not going out, my 12 year old uses it too and its a lip balm so no high expectations there. I do however have to share that the bh cosmetics blush palette was not a fav for me, not the worst but it is worth the price. I may give it to my daughter to put in her makeup kit (she has one just to play with, she doesnt wear it out the house:) )
Agreed. Posts like this make me realize WHY the makeup industry is such a BIG business. We all have different needs, like different things, etc. So it's good that there's such variety.

Senna lip gloss (from Glossybox). THE WORST LIP GLOSS EVER. Applying it seriously feels like what I imagine it would feel like to smear superglue all over your lips, and the color I got is hideous, as well. Terrible, you could get better at the dollar store.

COLOR CLUB NAIL POLISHES. I've tried metallics and cremes and both have worse formulations than the $1 ELF polishes I've tried. Thick and gloppy and apply unevenly, and they chip within an hour.

Cargo tinted moisturizer. Cargo is probably my favorite brand of makeup, but the TM runs so dark, and oxidized horribly on me. 

And I agree - Great Lash mascara sucks, and I have no idea how it tops lists.

I'm surprised to see that so many of you hated Staniac! I love it! May be one of those things that works best on super pale skin?

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, and Simple Pleasures lip gloss - oily, runny, and smells like gasoline. Ick.
ew. that is NOT what you want in a makeup scent!!!

Agree with all 3! I loved Stainiac, I guess it just works well with my skin somehow. Color Club and Senna lip gloss were absolutely terrible, I actually threw away both because there's no point in them laying around if I will never ever use them.

Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Senna lip gloss (from Glossybox). THE WORST LIP GLOSS EVER. Applying it seriously feels like what I imagine it would feel like to smear superglue all over your lips, and the color I got is hideous, as well. Terrible, you could get better at the dollar store.

COLOR CLUB NAIL POLISHES. I've tried metallics and cremes and both have worse formulations than the $1 ELF polishes I've tried. Thick and gloppy and apply unevenly, and they chip within an hour.

I'm surprised to see that so many of you hated Staniac! I love it! May be one of those things that works best on super pale skin?

Originally Posted by Fairest of all /img/forum/go_quote.gif

DANG!!!!  You might want to try a different store because the one I have is one of my holy grail products.  They're really worth driving to another store.

I wasn't crazy about the baby lips. I loved staniac! haha. I haven't used the josie maran as a cheek stain, just the lip stain but I love it. Great Lash SUCKS.

Another bad one for me - but it probably works great for others - is AHAVA's Mud Mask. It wasn't compatible with my skin and no where on the tube does it say do not use if you have hypersensitive skin, in fact the tube says it's for sensitive skin. I'm probably going to use it on my hands or feet but will never use it on my face again.

Interesting what works for some and not for others--I love my Baby Lips that I've purchased! For me, my worst products (so far) have to be some Nick Chavez hair products I purchased during their St. Patrick's day sale. They smell absolutely terrible, like the worst, most chemical-filled salon you can possibly imagine. I tried them a couple of times, but I ended up getting rid of them because the stench was so strong and putrid. 
I thought Baby Lips was ok, worth a few bucks, but eh. I so agree about the Nick Chavez products. Took advantage of the same sale, but it wasn't even worth the cost of shipping. All of the products are sticky and just ick. I don't even understand what they are supposed to do, because a couple of the products have vague descriptions and all of them do pretty much nothing for me except leave my hair yuck. Also agree about the smell. Almay Wake Up Blush was also a disappointment. No pigmentation, even on my pale skin. Sad. On the same drugstore topic, the L'Oreal anti-redness primer does nothing for me. It's just green liquid that melts into my skin. On the more expensive side, I got the Tarte inner rim eyeliner or something like that in a Sephora points set. Can't remember the correct name. It's a little dry, not a smooth line, and doesn't have great staying power. Glad I didn't technically pay for it.

Ugggh, Color Club Nail Polish, which was a sample from Birchbox. Other than that, I've liked everything I've purchased over the past year, even Baby Lips--I really love the Peach Kiss!
shy.gif

I've had two fails I didn't expect: Benefit Porefessinal is HORRIBLE for me!  Within an hour, my pores are huge shiny caverns.  And Bad Gal Lash leaves me with major under-eye smudges every time I use it.  (Last year I had the same issue with L'Oreal Carbon Black, waterproof
frown.gif
)  I got the items in a Benefit kit for my birthday.  It also had Benetint, which I just plain don't like, and Highbeam, which (thank goodness for 1 in 4!) I like a lot.

Back