Worst products of 2012?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Organix does not work for me either. I got the Mocha Espresso shampoo and conditioner and it turned my hair to straw and smelled like playdoh. So disappointed. I tried another "flavor" last year and can't even remember which one, but also straw. I will not buy it ever again, too many good shampoos out there to waste money hoping it will work next time.

I'm surprised about Color Club. I love Funky Fingers nail polish and have no problems with it and they are made by Color Club. I have two CC nail polishes but haven't used them yet. (My nails are in sad shape, must file them down, and heavily moisturize before nail polish again). I'll report back when I do and see if there is a difference.

I tried the new Mongongo & Banana shampoo from Shea Terra and I hated it.  It said use 1-3 pumps, I have shoulder length, thick hair and 8 pumps wasn't enough. I get that it doesn't foam up, but it instantly dried my hair out.  I ended up re-washing it but it ended up in a ponytail because I don't think that was even enough.

Burt's Bees Volumizing Pomegranate and Soy Shampoo - new formula. 

I never had the opportunity to try the original formula but this shampoo was the absolute worst shampoo I've ever tried. I have thin shiny hair and I wanted a little bit of volume. After drying my hair, I had this waxy residue in my scalp. It made my hair feel sticky and notty. The comb would have this dust-like particles caught in the brissles. Just terrible. I went back to my L'oreal Sulfate free shampoo.

Also, the bouncy blush stuff was crap. No pigmentation whatsoever.

There's more but apparently I can only think of one at a time =P

Staniac. I couldn't get it to work. Fortunately, it was just the BB version so I technically only paid something like $1-2 for it.

Oh man, let me sit and think about my beauty fails of 2012.

1. Clear brand shampoo and conditioner - supposedly helps the scalp but has given me terrible dandruff/residue.

2. Maybelline bouncy blush - lol, no pigmentation

3. Maybelline Great Lash Lots of Lashes mascara - crazy shaped brush, same terrible formula that doesn't work

4. Senna Cosmetics dual-ended lipgloss - horrifying sticky mess that I cringe to remember

5. Jordana Easyliner pen-style liquid liner - dried out in about 3 days even when stored upside down with cap tightly on.

6. Boscia BB cream - I'm a MAC NW20, not an NC45. Even after it color adjusted, I looked like an oompa loompa.

7. MAC Big Bounce eyeshadows - horrific formula, doesn't last, creases easy, what were they even thinking?

I tried the new Mongongo & Banana shampoo from Shea Terra and I hated it.  It said use 1-3 pumps, I have shoulder length, thick hair and 8 pumps wasn't enough. I get that it doesn't foam up, but it instantly dried my hair out.  I ended up re-washing it but it ended up in a ponytail because I don't think that was even enough.
Ooh thanks for sharing about this shampoo! I've been interested in trying this for my thick/coarse hair and it looks great on paper (and I like Shea Terra). But, since it's new, I've been waiting to hear reviews so I'm glad I saw this.

It seems like the only people that like Great Lash are the ones that advertises it...

828764.JPG

Amore Pacific Moisture Bound Hydro-Gel

I received this in one of my Glossyboxes and this was one of the better products but just wasn't right for me. Being stupid ole me, I used it on my face the first time thinking everything is fine. A couple hours go by and my face starts to get dry; almost flaky and this was in the summer. So me, thinking that I've been in the sun too long (which is what the product is aimed to resolve), I applied more of this "Hydro-Gel". Same thing happens for a couple days and I start panicking. By then, my face was red, burning/inflaming, and still flaking. I decided maybe Amore Pacific wasn't working out for me so I started using my old facial lotions and creams again. Then I tested the Hydro-Gel on both of my forearms and what did you know? My face stop burning after a couple of days and returned to normal after a week. My forearms on the other hand, began to burn and flake like crazy!! I concluded that I was probably allergic to something used to make this product. After some intense research, I found that I was sulfate sensitive (all the symptoms matched) but the weird part is that Amore Pacific does not list sulfate as one of its ingredients. I swear, it must've gotten in somehow..unless there's a better explanation... 

It kind of explains my sensitive skin too. Many products give me a "burning" feeling on my face which is why I can't use a lot of products. I still use a couple of facial cleansers which gives me a burning feeling... 
sdrop.gif
 Luckily, I'm only sensitive to sulfate so it doesn't really do any serious harm excluding my experience with Amore Pacific which was much more intense than any product I have ever tried.

Anyway, this is just my horror story. I doubt anyone else who received the product had any problems. I'm pretty sure most people loved the product. I ended up giving my tub (even though I loved the packaging) to my best friend. She loved it and had no problem using it. 
icon_rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooh thanks for sharing about this shampoo! I've been interested in trying this for my thick/coarse hair and it looks great on paper (and I like Shea Terra). But, since it's new, I've been waiting to hear reviews so I'm glad I saw this.
I love Shea Terra, but this just didn't work.  If you have have thick hair I wouldn't bother.  I'm giving it to my friend with fine hair to see if it works for her.

The worst product I have used in 2012 was the 12-hour wear Smashbox foundation!  I LOVE Smashbox but this foundation was awful!  It dried so fast that I couldnt even blend it out and it just stuck to my face in patches and the coverage is supposed to be medium and buildable but I barely noticed any coverage at all!  Also the Tarte eye primer is ridiculously awful!  Maybe it's so watery for a dryer type lid but it didnt hold any eyeshadow at all!  It actually made it worse!

I find this list so interesting because many of the things mentioned are some of my favorite products this year haha. I absolutely adore Stainiac as a natural looking cheek stain and Skin79 bb cream has literally been all I use since I first tried it out. I had really bad cystic acne and my skin has never been clearer since I switched from normal foundations to the bb cream. I also got a color club polish in Blue Ming that I really love so I'm surprised to hear about so many having bad formulas.  As far as my worst products go....the new Maybelline and L'oreal BB creams take the cake by far. One was the color of man n cheese and the other made me look like a burn victim
Weird, my maybelline doesn't look like that. I love it. Looks like you chose the wrong color or got a bad one...?

Nobody like the Maybelline Bouncy Blush! It's my favorite!!  I guess its one of those things that works for some but not others... It's pretty nichey, but the color looked awesome with my skintone!  I know I'm going to repurchase mine.

Philosophy mini peel pads:   What a let down this was! All it did was leave a weird sticky residue on my face that eventually turned greasy.

Philosophy Take a deep breath gel moisturizer:  This did absolutely nothing for me! It was like moisturizing with cold water!

Needless to say I will never buy another, Philosophy product ever again.. lol

Mine would be MAC. It was really disappointing on my part. It was a lip balm and did nothing to moisturize my lip. From that on, I am not buying any products from them.

Originally Posted by Wida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me, the biggest disappointment was the Tarte Lipsurgence.  I was so excited to finally try it but it has mint in it and mint irritates my lips something awful.  It makes them red and they sting and peel for days after using anything with mint/menthol in it. And, the color I had was Amused and it was gritty.  Not a great feeling on the lips. 

The next big disappointment was Wen.  I like my hair to feel clean and soft but the Wen left so much buildup in my hair that it just felt gross and almost crunchy.  I had the cucumber melon one and I even tried just using it as a conditioner and a leave-in, but it didn't work that way either.  I got both the Tarte and the Wen in QVC's test tube in April. 

I haven't been impressed with any BB cream that I've tried either.  I've tried Dr. Jart Waterfuse, Skin79, and Boscia.  I've found them to be to heavy for me and I usually end up oily within a couple of hours.  I had such high hopes, but I think I'll be sticking with my powder foundations.
BB Creams tend to be thicker imo (specially Dr. Jart) so it would be better if you wear them in Winter. I love my Dr. Jart black label and I wear it during winter :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> But if you have oily skin you'd want to avoid BB Cream.

I am kinda sad to see most people don't like Baby lips. I am not super crazy about them but they actually saved my chapped lips. I have been using it daily ever since, on the other hand, EOS was a meh for me besides the delicious smell.

Back