Birchbox December 2013 (SPOILERS!)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who were lusting over the Happy Socks from birchbox - my TJ Maxx had them at $6/pair or $20 for a box of 4.

Well my first box finally arrived. I LOVE the ChapStick, the detangler smells amazing and same with the perfume sample. I can't wait to try the chocolate, I ate far too much holiday junk today, so it will have to wait for another day. The nail polish color was so-so on me and while I like the feel and smell of the lotion it's just sooo tiny to be able to use it for any period of time to tell how well it works.

Well my first box finally arrived. I LOVE the ChapStick, the detangler smells amazing and same with the perfume sample. I can't wait to try the chocolate, I ate far too much holiday junk today, so it will have to wait for another day. The nail polish color was so-so on me and while I like the feel and smell of the lotion it's just sooo tiny to be able to use it for any period of time to tell how well it works.
I actually got quite a few uses out of the Embryolisse since my face doesn't require a lot of moisturizer. A little goes a long way, so I hope you're pleasantly surprised and that it lasts longer than you expect! I love that flavor of Chuao too...probably my favorite from them! Beauty Protector is a Birchbox exclusive, and tons of people swear by it. That is a really nice, well-rounded box. Six items, too! Score!

Quote:Originally Posted by normajean2008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is irritating, especially since it is the first box, but I agree it is probably because the holidays.  Everything is backed up and taking longer.  I've also received better customer support from BB than what you were told-you must have gotten one of the "lesser" agents replying.  Things aren't usually this bad on a regular basis though.

Does your online account show your box contents?  (when you log in, the "box" tab across the top, choose women's box)  I'd raise a stink at this point if it hasn't shipped and you were charged on the 6th.  I'd demand points instead of the box, since it is so late and January's box is about to charge/ship soon. But I'm short fused on this type of stuff, I don't have tolerance for run arounds, lol.

No, when I click on women's box it doesn't show my box contents. Instead there is the following message "Your box is shipping soon! I replied to the original email and pointed out that the 10 days processing time that they mentioned has already passed and that I would like to receive my December box before I am charged for January because I am not certain that I even want another box from them. If I don't get a satisfactory answer, I'll wait a few days to try to call them again. I imagine they're swamped right now with calls from people panicking because their Christmas orders haven't arrived yet.

Got an answer already! It must have been the mild threat to cancel. She said that I should receive my December box soon. Since it hasn't shipped yet, I don't know how that's going to happen, but whatever. She's also going to give me the January box for free. I'll have to check my credit card statement and make sure that's true. So I guess I'll be a customer at least through January.

I'm actually a little disappointed with my box this month....I'm just....eh...meh....hmmm.....iono.....LOL

I do actually love the Nuxe Body Fondant Firming Cream, although, blegh, foils.
rolleyes.gif
I do appreciate they're large, but if I'm going to receive THAT much product, I'd rather it be in a jar or bottle, than two large foils. The hairspray, I won't use, just because I don't like non-aerosol hairsprays, it makes my hair too wet. It will go to good use at my dance studio though, they're perfect for slicking back hair into a performance bun! The Truffle Serum is interesting, but I haven't noticed any changes after almost 2 weeks of daily use. Typically serums don't provide a LOT of change but I'd like to see a little something. The lipgloss is another OK item for me but not amazing. It's in a color I have WAY too much of and I usually don't use lip glosses....then there's the hair tie...of which I have a gazillion of...and I'm not a fan of purple.....alas LOL....but it looks simply STUNNING on Miss Reindeer:

Ain't she snazzy?
patches.gif
It's like a fancy winter scarf LOL I may let her keep it
rolleyes.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This is really odd - I received my box yesterday and the Laqa lip pencil was completely extended and jammed into the cap. Did anyone else receive theirs like this? Also, is this the full size lip product or a deluxe sample? I don't think would spend this much on a lip pencil with such a poorly made tube. 

This is my third red lipstick in nine months from BB. Maybe time for a little profile changing :) 

I just got my box today with the Laqa pencil and mine is the same way.  I'm wondering if it's supposed to be shrink wrapped, because mine isn't.

My friend got a gift sub for her mom and the laqa arrived the same way, my mom's in her gift sub didn't though.

I just got my box today with the Laqa pencil and mine is the same way.  I'm wondering if it's supposed to be shrink wrapped, because mine isn't.
They don't come shrink wrapped. I bought the duo several months ago and they were not wrapped.

Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm actually a little disappointed with my box this month....I'm just....eh...meh....hmmm.....iono.....LOL

I do actually love the Nuxe Body Fondant Firming Cream, although, blegh, foils.
rolleyes.gif
I do appreciate they're large, but if I'm going to receive THAT much product, I'd rather it be in a jar or bottle, than two large foils. The hairspray, I won't use, just because I don't like non-aerosol hairsprays, it makes my hair too wet. It will go to good use at my dance studio though, they're perfect for slicking back hair into a performance bun! The Truffle Serum is interesting, but I haven't noticed any changes after almost 2 weeks of daily use. Typically serums don't provide a LOT of change but I'd like to see a little something. The lipgloss is another OK item for me but not amazing. It's in a color I have WAY too much of and I usually don't use lip glosses....then there's the hair tie...of which I have a gazillion of...and I'm not a fan of purple.....alas LOL....but it looks simply STUNNING on Miss Reindeer:

Ain't she snazzy?
patches.gif
It's like a fancy winter scarf LOL I may let her keep it
rolleyes.gif

Too cute! She looks darling :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I got the same box, didn't notice much of a change from the truffle serum either...the smell is a little odd too. It did make my skin soft though. 

Weird question ... I gifted my mom a 3 month subscription and her welcome box shipped on December 9th and came in on December 12th, but today she told me that she received another box, and I looked at her account and saw she received box 71.... what? I'm so confused... she shouldn't have received 2 boxes in one month, right?

Her welcome box included an eyeko liner, chocolate, a perfume, and something else that she doesn't remember, but she never got to review those products because her second box came in 10 days later! This is really confusing... also, she filled out her profile and box 71 definitely doesn't reflect her profile.

Do you think it was a mistake? How can I tell how many months are left on her gift subscription? 

Quote: Originally Posted by cherienova /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Too cute! She looks darling :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I got the same box, didn't notice much of a change from the truffle serum either...the smell is a little odd too. It did make my skin soft though. 

Yeah! It did smell interesting, didn't it? I guess that's the....erm....truffle scent? I need to look up the ingredients and see what's possibly causing it to smell that way LOL .....

It appears to have an Irish moss extract, horsetail extract (plant, not really horsetail LOL), hydrolized hibiscus extract, TUBER MELANOSPORUM EXTRACT (the truffle), a climbing rose extract, and parfum but it doesn't say what. I'm guessing that these particular ingredients give it that slightly earthy scent that I'm detecting. It's not too bad, though, I've tried worse!
smilehappyyes.gif
It hasn't changed the softness of my skin yet, but then again, my weather keeps changing so it could just be a funky time to try out a product that could soften skin without it being a heavy cream. I'm going to keep using it though!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For those who were lusting over the Happy Socks from birchbox - my TJ Maxx had them at $6/pair or $20 for a box of 4.
I saw the Echo Design mSoft Touch gloves at Nordstrom Rack. I don't recall the price, but substantially discounted.

Quote: Originally Posted by CheshireCookie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah! It did smell interesting, didn't it? I guess that's the....erm....truffle scent? I need to look up the ingredients and see what's possibly causing it to smell that way LOL .....

It appears to have an Irish moss extract, horsetail extract (plant, not really horsetail LOL), hydrolized hibiscus extract, TUBER MELANOSPORUM EXTRACT (the truffle), a climbing rose extract, and parfum but it doesn't say what. I'm guessing that these particular ingredients give it that slightly earthy scent that I'm detecting. It's not too bad, though, I've tried worse!
smilehappyyes.gif
It hasn't changed the softness of my skin yet, but then again, my weather keeps changing so it could just be a funky time to try out a product that could soften skin without it being a heavy cream. I'm going to keep using it though!

Irish Moss is an algae so it can have a fishy-ish smell, or a seaweed like smell.. it's used in beer brewing to clarify beers!  Never knew it was also a face ingredient.. so that might be what's making it smell funky!  Yay for weird knowledge!

Irish Moss is an algae so it can have a fishy-ish smell, or a seaweed like smell.. it's used in beer brewing to clarify beers!  Never knew it was also a face ingredient.. so that might be what's making it smell funky!  Yay for weird knowledge!
I haven't smelled it yet, but if there's an earthy smell, I would lean towards chalking that up to the truffle. Those usually smell/taste like roots and dirt to me.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't smelled it yet, but if there's an earthy smell, I would lean towards chalking that up to the truffle. Those usually smell/taste like roots and dirt to me.

Ah that's a good bet- I didn't get the oil but I thought it was interesting that Irish Moss was on the list for a truffle oil.  I have some Irish Moss at home, but I don't tend to actually smell it when I use it.. maybe tonight's a good night to open that up and see what it smells like..

Well, I finally got around to trying the Beauty Protector detangler, and I am in love with it. It makes my hair soft and manageable, it's not sticky, doesn't weigh my hair down and smells fantastic, too bad it's almost $22 for the full-size :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

Well, I finally got around to trying the Beauty Protector detangler, and I am in love with it. It makes my hair soft and manageable, it's not sticky, doesn't weigh my hair down and smells fantastic, too bad it's almost $22 for the full-size :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
I felt the same way!! I wasn't a fan of the shampoo and conditioner, but I did love the smell. Would be happy to purchase this... If it were less expensive.

I felt the same way!! I wasn't a fan of the shampoo and conditioner, but I did love the smell. Would be happy to purchase this... If it were less expensive.
It's a good thing we get points to spend!

Back