Drugstore Gems!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll have to try this one. I got the white one a while back and it's awful and does nothing, but I've seen a couple of people recommend the almond!
The Almond Cream is the only Milani pencil I tried and I love it.  I did try the NYX Jumbo eye pencil in Milk and didn't like it much.  I definitely prefer the Milani almond.  It's much more natural looking and covers any discoloration or veins on the lids.  At least for me, it works great as a primer.

The Almond Cream is the only Milani pencil I tried and I love it. I did try the NYX Jumbo eye pencil in Milk and didn't like it much. I definitely prefer the Milani almond. It's much more natural looking and covers any discoloration or veins on the lids. At least for me, it works great as a primer.
I want to try those milani ones so bad! Unfortunately the cvs by my house has the most tiny and most poorly stocked sad little Milani display ever, and my target ditched the entire line :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> my walmart just got a shiny new milani display though so I'm hoping they pop up there!!

1. Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask: $3.99

I recommend using this mask once a week, or whenever you feel like your skin is going to break out. It does a great job of halting breakouts without drying out your skin. It is very cooling and feels awesome! 

2. St. Ives Apricot Scrub: $4.29

This exfoliator works far better than any high end exfoliator I have ever tried. Everyone raves on Kate Sommerville’s “Exfolikate” ($22), but I find this scrub to be much more effective at removing dead skin. Use 1-2 times weekly. 

Next, let’s talk about body care.

3. Olay Ultra Moisture Body Wash with Shea Butter: $4.79

This is the only body wash I have ever used that makes me feel like I can skip lotion and still have silky, hydrated skin after my shower. Great stuff. 

4. Tree Hut Shea Sugar Body Scrub in Coconut Lime: $6.99

Body scrubs can get very pricey if you start looking at high end brands. And if you want my opinion, there’s no reason to shell out all that extra money on something that you’re going to rinse down the drain anyways. I use this scrub as an all-over exfoliator as well as on my legs before I shave. 

The drugstore has a lot to offer when it comes to good hair products. I don’t use a lot of product in my hair, but the products I’m mentioning are things I use on a very regular basis, and have been part of my routine for about a year now. 

5. Tresemme Heat Tamer: $5.99

If you're someone who heat styles your hair often, a great heat protectant is a must. This one gets the job done and leaves your hair feeling nice and smooth. 

6. L’oreal Evercream Shampoo and Conditioner: $5.99 each

I'm obsessed with this stuff. It works as well as salon products that I've tried and is a fraction of the price! I have naturally dry and course hair, so taming it can be somewhat of a beast. If you have similar hair, give this stuff a try. You won't regret it. 

And now to the good stuff- makeup. 

7. Burt’s Bees Pomegranate Chapstick: $3.99

I have tried TONS of lip balms and, aside from straight vaseline, this is the only one that improves the overall health of my lips. A lot of other lip balms feel great when you first use them, but leave my lips feel dehydrated by the end of the day. 

8. Maybelline Great Lash Mascara- Clear: $6.79

I know what you’re thinking. But, let me stop you right there. I don’t actually use this as a mascara. Instead, I use it as a brow gel. It works just as well as any high end brow gel at a fraction of the cost. Save your splurges for fun stuff like eyeshadow or blush. 

9. Real Techniques Powder Brush: $9.99

I’m not gonna say that expensive brushes aren’t awesome. I know as well as the next girl that good brushes can completely change the appearance of your makeup. But, we don’t all have $50 to shell out for a powder brush. If you’re like me, try this brush. It’s super soft, applies powder evenly, and holds up very well. I’ve washed mine countless times and it still looks brand new. 

10. Rimmel Stay Glossy Lipgloss: $3.79

My favorite shade is called “Non-Stop Glamour.” This lipgloss is perfect if you’re someone who can’t stand super sticky glosses. It applies beautifully and has just enough color to brighten up your face. This gloss pretty much lives in my purse. 

I'll have to try this one. I got the white one a while back and it's awful and does nothing, but I've seen a couple of people recommend the almond!
Could you explain what you mean when you say "it's awful and does nothing"?

I ask because it would be easier to recommend something more to your liking if we knew exactly what you didn't like about the Milani Shadow Eyez 12 Hour Wear eye pencil in Winter White. Unless what you didn't like about it was the color/finish itself, then chances are you won't like any of the other colors, either, because they all utilize the same formula except for the pigments.

Jordana and Milani are related companies, and Jordana released 12 Hour Made to Last Eyeshadow Pencils, and surprise! Those pencils use the *exact* same formula as the Milani pencils.

However, the Milani ShadowEyez Winter White pencil is a pearl finish, isn't it? Is the problem you're not getting even coverage with the Milani pencil because it's pearl?

If that's the case, then you might want to try the Jordana 12 Hour Made to Last Pencil in Eternal White, because it's a matte white instead of pearl.

Also, both Milani and Jordana make the almond shade (Milani is "Almond Cream" and Jordana, "Continuous Almond". Both are matte finish.

Just trying to save you some money in your quest to find a base that works for you. If the Milani pencils aren't your thing, and you happen upon the Jordana pencils somewhere, know they're the Milani pencils in a Jordana package (but retail for 3.00 less per pencil than the Milani version).

It was just everything I didn't like about it...other pencils/crayons leave a good base...the white one goes on me invisible, does not enhance the shadow color or make it stay longer like others do...it basically looks like I put my shadows on bare lids. It's the only one I've ever tried that has been like that for me. It might be the pearl finish, though I've used others...but yeah. I'd try the Jordana but it isn't sold anywhere near me. I'll probalby just stick with NYX. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Could you explain what you mean when you say "it's awful and does nothing"?

I ask because it would be easier to recommend something more to your liking if we knew exactly what you didn't like about the Milani Shadow Eyez 12 Hour Wear eye pencil in Winter White. Unless what you didn't like about it was the color/finish itself, then chances are you won't like any of the other colors, either, because they all utilize the same formula except for the pigments.

Jordana and Milani are related companies, and Jordana released 12 Hour Made to Last Eyeshadow Pencils, and surprise! Those pencils use the *exact* same formula as the Milani pencils.

However, the Milani ShadowEyez Winter White pencil is a pearl finish, isn't it? Is the problem you're not getting even coverage with the Milani pencil because it's pearl?

If that's the case, then you might want to try the Jordana 12 Hour Made to Last Pencil in Eternal White, because it's a matte white instead of pearl.

Also, both Milani and Jordana make the almond shade (Milani is "Almond Cream" and Jordana, "Continuous Almond". Both are matte finish.

Just trying to save you some money in your quest to find a base that works for you. If the Milani pencils aren't your thing, and you happen upon the Jordana pencils somewhere, know they're the Milani pencils in a Jordana package (but retail for 3.00 less )

Last edited by a moderator:
It was just everything I didn't like about it...other pencils/crayons leave a good base...the white one goes on me invisible, does not enhance the shadow color or make it stay longer like others do...it basically looks like I put my shadows on bare lids. It's the only one I've ever tried that has been like that for me. It might be the pearl finish, though I've used others...but yeah. I'd try the Jordana but it isn't sold anywhere near me. I'll probalby just stick with NYX. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
In my neck of the woods (Rhode Island), Milani is sold (for the most part) in CVS stores, while Jordana is sold at Walgreens. Typically, in Walgreens the Jordana display is on the counter at the beauty department checkout (not "on the wall," like the other brands).

According to the Jordana website (http://www.jordanacosmetics.com/locations.aspx), Jordana products are sold at Duane Reade(?), Save Mart Supermarkets (?), Kmart, and Walgreens. You can also order directly from their website.

I was perusing the internet trying to find a good article describing the difference between an eyeshadow primer and an eyeshadow base, and found THIS:

http://accidentalbeauty.com/makeup/makeup-tips-tricks/eyeshadow-primers-vs-eyeshadow-bases/

I think it's an excellent article and it might help you narrow down what's offered and aid you in selecting a product that does what you want it to do. The ONLY part of the article I disagree with is:

"If I wear a cheap eyeshadow without a base, it’ll start to crease on me and the color will fade. If I wear a more pricey eyeshadow without a base (such as MAC, NARS, MUFE), I wont get creasing or dull color pay-off at all. So yes, your eyeshadows play a big part in all of this too. If you’re using a cheap product without a good primer/base, expect cheap results."

There are really good inexpensive eyeshadows offered in what we usually call "drugstore" brands <waves at the Wet n' Wild 8-pan palettes>.

Likewise, there are some high end brands that have come out with some real duds. It's simply not true anymore that in terms of cosmetics, price always determines quality.

The problem with both the Milani ShadowEyez and the Jordana 12 Hour Made to Last pencils is both products dry. Once you've applied them to your lid, you've got enough time to smudge/spread them, but they do not remain sticky like an eyeshadow base would (think NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil in Milk - which has become a cult favorite). So, while both the Milani and Jordana pencils will help with creasing and with "neutralizing" the color of your skin to make any powder shadow you apply over them more "true", neither product will adhere the powder shadow to your lid in the same way a sticky base would.

Last edited by a moderator:
4. Tree Hut Shea Sugar Body Scrub in Coconut Lime: $6.99

Body scrubs can get very pricey if you start looking at high end brands. And if you want my opinion, there’s no reason to shell out all that extra money on something that you’re going to rinse down the drain anyways. I use this scrub as an all-over exfoliator as well as on my legs before I shave. 

The drugstore has a lot to offer when it comes to good hair products. I don’t use a lot of product in my hair, but the products I’m mentioning are things I use on a very regular basis, and have been part of my routine for about a year now. 

5. Tresemme Heat Tamer: $5.99

If you're someone who heat styles your hair often, a great heat protectant is a must. This one gets the job done and leaves your hair feeling nice and smooth. 

9. Real Techniques Powder Brush: $9.99

I’m not gonna say that expensive brushes aren’t awesome. I know as well as the next girl that good brushes can completely change the appearance of your makeup. But, we don’t all have $50 to shell out for a powder brush. If you’re like me, try this brush. It’s super soft, applies powder evenly, and holds up very well. I’ve washed mine countless times and it still looks brand new. 
(whoops, screwed up the quote, but you know...)

I'm so with you on these!

Except I like the Tree Hut in the mango scent best :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

The Tresemme is my most used heat protectant, it is great, smells good, and I prefer it to several more expensive ones I've tried!

And the Real Techniques brushes are my favorite ones, I have quite a few of them and they're my most used brushes, and I DON'T generally think that expensive brushes are a must for most people, because some less expensive ones, like these, are really good quality and do the job so well! 

Other drugstore things that are NOT makeup that I love right now:

Burt's Bees blemish stick - it has tea tree oil, juniper, willow bark...it's in a roll on form so it's easy to use...takes care of my breakouts without drying me out. 

Simple Oil Balancing Wipes - I don't use wipes instead of washing, but I use them all the time between washings or to freshen things up..these are just as good as expensive ones. I like to use them when I get home from work (I wash my face later right before bed)...and sometimes in the morning when I'm running behind.

Freeman Charcoal and Black Sugar polishing mask - It's a scrub/mask hybrid. Super cheap but really nice!

Freeman Anti-stress mask (the one with dead sea minerals) - It's blue, it smells great, and it makes my face feel clean and soft.

Burt's Bees Pink Grapefruit lip balm - I'm a sucker for grapefruit.

Aquaphor Healing Ointment - I use it on feet, heels, knees, elbows. Nothing fancy, but it works, man!

For me it's the Rimmel Apocalips glosses that were so big last summer (we had a huge, multi-page thread dedicated to finding JUST THEM).  It was awesome.  Solstice (a shimmery, perfect pink) is still my go-to gloss when I'm out, because it has good color payoff, but it's just light/nude enough that I can put it on without looking in a mirror and not be worried that I look crazy if I mess it up a bit.

Sinful Colors nail polish - polish chips on me no matter what I do, so I love that they're about $2 each AND come in a lot of amazing colors.  I'm trying to expand my solid-color cream polishes as bases for my fun indie glitters/topcoats, and they're awesome for that!

Darn my low-buy.  A Walgreens just opened up in my tiny town and now I want to go buy things!

<snip> 

Sinful Colors nail polish - polish chips on me no matter what I do, so I love that they're about $2 each AND come in a lot of amazing colors.  I'm trying to expand my solid-color cream polishes as bases for my fun indie glitters/topcoats, and they're awesome for that!

Darn my low-buy.  A Walgreens just opened up in my tiny town and now I want to go buy things!
Love Sinful Colors!

Just bought the color "Spitfire" (#1232) and it is pastel Radiant Orchid, for those of you who have embraced the Radiant Orchid color trend.

Just lovely!

Suave body washes. They smell terrific, are not drying, and the bottles are nice and huge.

Queen Helene Cocoa Butter hand cream. I find nice-sized tubes in the trial-size aisle at Walmart and they are perfect for my purse. This stuff was a godsend after my carpal tunnel surgery--very soothing right around the incision area!

Pure Ice nail polishes, also at Walmart. They are less than two dollars a bottle and wear remarkably well. I like to go after these when I want to mess with a new color or try my hand (so to speak) at stuff like ombre.

Love my drugstore makeup!  Especially the Maybelline Color Tattoo cream eyeshadows.  I noticed that they start to get kind of dry towards the 2nd half of the shadow, BUT if you mix it up, it turns into a soft creamy mousse consistency. It's awesome!

I love Milani (Luminoso blush) Maybelline (The Rocket mascara, dream powders, baby lips) and a ton more! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ooh I have to add to the list my new HG mascara, Maybelline the rocket. It's love!

Hahaha! Right?! Let's go haul together.
Yes! I think I'm high ended out too. Tomorrow I'm officially breaking the no buy and I keep thinking why would I buy like 2 things at sephora when I can get like 10 things at the walmart?

Latest posts

Back