FabFitFun Spring 2014 Box *Spoilers*

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever heard of or have experience with LULU in the SKY?? She has an etsy store full of "turbands". I'd really like to know how similar they are before I jump the gun.

I'm pretty disappointed with this.  It's my first box and I got 8 items.  I'm one of those people who is very diligent about "stated value" to make sure my boxes are worth what the companies say they are before I decide if the box was worth it.

The Kai perfume oil isn't bad, sort of a generic feel of oil scents, but retails for $48?  It's very close to an Avon scent my grandmother wore for church (which I'm blanking on the stinking name).  Maybe I'm cheap, but I can't see spending $48 for that tiny little roller of oil of 1/8th an ounce.  To give a comparison price, a full ounce would cost $384.  Either way, I found it online for as low as $30.

The shower bombs smell great... they attracted me before I even opened the box.  $8 seems about right for the market, though there are a few spots I saw $6 or so.  One word of caution that doesn't usually come with these - keep away from small children.  Eucalyptus and menthol are irritants in small children and can cause respiratory problems.  Even more so with children with asthma.  These are incredibly strong so I'd definitely flip the exhaust fan on when I was done or open a window if a little one needs a bath soon after.  They also expressly caution against bathing with them because they are too strong (which means they'll cause reactions or chemical burns with the human body if you even laid in the water with it). 
bigeyes2.gif

The mini exercise ball and DVD - $29?  That ball is as low as $2 and I can find free videos on YouTube but even DVDs to buy for it are as low as $8.

The Cover FX primer is stated at $38.  Sephora has it at that price.  I found it online for as low as $30 and some coupon codes for the stores that sell it.  It's also flooding eBay even cheaper, my guess is because everyone is selling it from their boxes.
icon_biggrin.gif

Exfoliating mitt is stated at $20.  It's not sold anywhere else but through Dermasuri however identical items with better reviews and quality are as low as $8.

Oscar Blandi Dry Shampoo is listed at $25.  Right price, market price for similar items as well.

Kale Chips - not my favorite snack, the market price seems fair but holy cow!  130 calories!  Guiltless my foot! 
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Now for the Turbands... first, I wouldn't pay $48 for any hair accessory except my wedding veil.  That's why I like these boxes because I do get the items cheaper than high retail prices but have on occasion bought a full price item later.  That said, turbands are the "hot" thing right now and you can find literally 100's of different makers for far cheaper, some with the exact same wire and material type.  They are actually fairly easy to make yourself too and there are thousands of DIY and how-to's available if you are slightly craft-inclined.  It's a few seams and you are done.  There are even DIY's using fabric glue that make it that much easier.  This value will be up to you, but the average price of the same type is around $13.  Without the metal, as low as $6.  You can make it yourself for as low as $1.50 if you make at least 4 total.  (Length of wire or glue will make several, you can get fabric ends sold at clearance in the leftovers bin!)  One of the cheapest ways you can do it is buy a cheap, wire headband and just slip it in and sew or glue it.

So retail from FFF states $218 for my items.  I found the exact items online for $178 (excluding eBay prices) and sale, similar or better for about $116 (again, excluding eBay which brought this box down to around $90).

So my final verdict on this box?  When I remove the cost of items I wouldn't purchase anyway, the value came out to the price I paid so no loss, no gain.  Since I wouldn't buy the items, I don't need the coupon codes.  If you buy more with the coupon codes, it could really bump up the value of the box for you!  I will definitely give it another go because stated value wasn't too far off for the exact items (about 12%) and maybe this just wasn't "my" type of box this quarter.

My second box came today.  I ordered a second thinking maybe my sister would like it for her birthday.  The first box (mine) has the floral turband.  The second box(my sisters) is white with black polka dots.  I hope she likes it.

Has anyone received a turband in any print other than black or navy polka dot, black or white cherries, or floral? The original "value" in the spoiler email was $48-$135, but I think we've only seen $48 ones going out, not that I'm complaining as I still think it's a great value. I don't really mind the fact that the turbands cost $48 because they are made in the USA and I personally find the quality to be nice. I understand that you can DIY them but some of their more interesting prints are probably pretty expensive fabric on their own (I'm looking at the palm leaf one that's making me drool, ugh).

The plain black, white, or navy with polka dots is listed on their site for $38. Most of them are $38 actually, except the leather ones. I'm not sure whete they came up with those values.

I've got a white and black polka dot band with cherries on it that I would love to swap for a different pattern. I also have the kai perfume that I don't want. I'm posting this in the swap thread too, but just in case!

Jus coming in with a friendly reminder to please keep all trade talk in the trade threads, per our Terms of Service. We want to make sure that you all have a safe and happy trade experience!

I've had to contact FabFitFun's CS three times lately, and the last time they were eventually helpful. If anyone has not gotten their boxes yet (I ordered a few, and they forgot to send one until I called them) they are waiting to have enough to do a shipment. I was told they'd ship my missing box out last Saturday, but when it hadn't shown up by yesterday I called them. They said they would expedite my shipping, but there are still several ppl who they won't be shipping out to yet. IMHO this is completely nuts. So if you haven't even gotten a shipping notification yet, phone them at the CS number. I actually just realized that not only did they forget to send my box, but they refused to send it for a week after they'd already told me it was on it's way to me. Makes me concerned about their CS but I love their boxes so much I don't know if I care, lol.

Quote: Originally Posted by nectarbean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Anyone ever heard of or have experience with LULU in the SKY?? She has an etsy store full of "turbands". I'd really like to know how similar they are before I jump the gun.

I just went and looked at them because I'm obsessed with the turband. The reviews seem odd, almost fake. All the ones I read said "must buy" Idk, it just seems wierd that a lot of the reviews are written the same. However, they're only $11 and a heckuva lot cheaper than Cult Gaia. I'm really digging some of the prints in her store. 

I love this subscription. It's my absolute favorite, but I have to share this to give you all a heads up on how awful their CS is if you have an issue. I ordered several boxes, and they admitted that they forgot to send one of my boxes, but would get it right out to me. This was my first phone call about the issue. This was a Friday two weeks ago. The CS rep told me that they were putting together a shipment, and that if would be on it's way the very next day which was a Saturday. One week later, when the box hadn't arrived, I called them a second time. Another CS rep told me that their supervisor had decided that they didn't have enough to do a full shipment so they were waiting. They didn't notify me of the change. I told them that per our previous conversation is expected my box by then and was planning on using some of the items for my friend's bday which is today. The CS rep said no problem, they'd expedite shopping, and get it to me by Tuesday. Keep in mind, I ordered this box over a month ago. So today I called them bc they still hadn't sent me tracking, and was told by the CS rep that she had indeed sent it two day shipping, but her supervisor had OVERRIDDEN the two day shipping bc she thought that it wasn't necessary. The CS was apologetic, but basically they have now screwed up one single box shipment three times, and intentionally screwed me over when they thought making me happy as a customer wasn't worth an extra couple of bucks after numerous mistakes on their part. The worst part is I ordered FOUR boxes from them, bc they've always been my favorite, and since it included my perfume it was such a great deal. I have never encountered this many issues from a subscription service before. It's like they don't even care about us as customers. Bottom line- watch them to make sure you receive your box, and if you have an issue that they caused, expect multiple screw ups on their end before they can get it right.

I have similar feelings about their CS. My box was missing an item, and they said they would send it right out...2 weeks later I have heard/received nothing. I will wait a little longer before sending another email, but seriously...we should not have to go chasing after them like this.

Great. My box was delivered today...in another state! WTF? I emailed them, hopefully they can send another one give me a refund.

Posting for fun to get my post count up so I can post in a trade/swap board. How silly.
I'll have a conversation with you. How are you today? How many posts do you have to have to swap? What is your favorite sub? Please answer the 3 separate questions in three separate message. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by skyflower /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How many posts do you need? I am still unable to post in the swap thread
When I signed up it was 15 posts and a member for at least 5 days...not sure if that has changed though. Maybe a mod can answer.

Back