From The Lab Subscription Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some pictures and highlights for you ladies. I tried to compact the info as much as I could, but if you want you can find an extended version of this review in my blog [is saying this against TOS btw? I could never figure that out].

My box came very fast - only two days after I received the shipment email. The packaging, as you can see, is pretty unique: it doesn't have your typical tissue paper and shredded cardboard for cushioning, and the products were securely set in place to prevent leaking, spilling, and rolling all over the box.

This month's box contained two products labeled Face Primer #327 and Eyelift Primer #328, and you could find more information such as ingredients, what makes them special, and recommendations for use in your member dashboard. For those of you wondering about their cancellation process, you can also do it in your dashboard, which is nice for anyone that hates having to call companies to cancel.

The face primer was the first product I tried in my box, it came packaged in an air-tight glass pump bottle, which is refreshing because just the other day I was criticizing a moisturizer for not being in one. It has a lightweight runny texture and a pleasantly fresh grassy fragrance. According to the dashboard, this primer provides anti-aging, pore-minimizing and color correcting-properties. The anti-aging part seems to be working wonderfully, because my skin felt instantly smoother and more moist. The color-correcting part is very mild and barely noticeable - it made my face a teeny bit whiter and eliminated some of the redness on my cheeks. The claim to shrink the pores also seems to be true, they definitely looked somewhat smaller.   

This eye shadow primer comes in a nice tube with a velvety wand applicator, and kind of looks like a liquid eye shadow. The formula includes coffee extract which provides anti-oxidant properties, increases the skin's natural defenses and depuffs the upper lid area [that last part wasn't mentioned on the site, but it's common sense anyway]. The unique ingredient in this primer is the para cress flower extract, which provides several anti-ageing benefits - it stimulates collagen production, makes the eye area smoother, and reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This primer promises to keep the makeup intact for 12 hours, well, I didn't quite let it sit there for that long, but it withstood at least 6 hours [three of them were spent at the beach] without melting or flaking off. I should also add that my eye shadows didn't crease at all. The shade can be described as an opaque champagne shimmer, and because of the shimmer I would only recommend using it on your upper lids.  

Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here are some pictures and highlights for you ladies. I tried to compact the info as much as I could, but if you want you can find an extended version of this review in my blog [is saying this against TOS btw? I could never figure that out].
Thanks for your review. I went ahead and signed up and hope I get this same package! Sounds really nice.

I'm going to sub for a month or two- just for the heck of it.

They do ship to Canada for $8.95 , so not too bad overall I guess!

I'm "wasting my time" today and I think the face primer is Eva Garden as I entered in google "Peruvian Rhatany Root Extract " and got back that it has Sarcosine and Tomato extract as listed in the ingredients.

-guess university somehow pays off for something?? LOL.

I've used some Eva Garden stuff before a few years ago and it was good, but expensive.

http://www.evagarden.com/SchedaProdottoL/68/30/228/24/Revolution_Primer.html

I feel like a terrible enabler! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have high hopes for this subscription, because it doesn't seem to be some scrubby startup operated from someone's garage (a-la Red Carpet Box).

Quote: Originally Posted by EmGee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm "wasting my time" today and I think the face primer is Eva Garden as I entered in google "Peruvian Rhatany Root Extract " and got back that it has Sarcosine and Tomato extract as listed in the ingredients.

-guess university somehow pays off for something?? LOL.

Giirrrllll, I'm sitting on a Master's degree and all I have is this lousy blog, lol!

On a related note, I've never heard of Eva Garden before :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have tried their concealer or foundation a few years ago when it was sold at a salon store I used to shop at (still shop there but not same location as I moved).
I know it is a European line sold at some spas and quite expensive.

I had bought something of theirs at Envirotrends- but I do not think they carry that line any more and might have seen their stuff recently at a spa or somewhere when I got a haircut I think?

Not too much of an enabler- I only have 2 subs right now.

I've lost a bit of money on other things so trying to be more careful.

I had a dance school membership- prepaid and the place went under.
I did get some of my money back, but now can not find any other affordable classes for adults :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My only subs are Topbox and Seasonsbox and I have 1 "season" left on my prepaid beautyfix (if you prepay for the year you get a extra season, so pay for 3 and get one free and does not renew.....).

Ugh, I just totally caved thanks to your beautiful blog, Anastasia!  I've yet to find a face primer that doesn't irritate my skin, but the ingredients and texture you described have me hopeful that this might work!

Originally Posted by Andi B /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ugh, I just totally caved thanks to your beautiful blog, Anastasia!  I've yet to find a face primer that doesn't irritate my skin, but the ingredients and texture you described have me hopeful that this might work!
Have you tried DHC Velvet Skin Coat?

I think it does not have any fragrance in it and has never bothered my skin and does not feel greassy.

If you order a DHC catalog I think they send a sample packet of it along w 2 other samples.

It is a line from Japan.

Originally Posted by EmGee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you tried DHC Velvet Skin Coat?

I think it does not have any fragrance in it and has never bothered my skin and does not feel greassy.

If you order a DHC catalog I think they send a sample packet of it along w 2 other samples.

It is a line from Japan.
Thanks for the recommendation!  I've never tried theirs, but I've heard good things about some of their other products.  I'll eventually have to try them out!

I have to say I'm very satisfied with this sub so far.  I really like both of the products in the first box. 

The face primer seems to be agreeing with my skin, and it's very moisturizing.  It definitely gives me a more flawless look and I do think I'm seeing some slight improvements in my skin.

I don't know that the eye primer is really much better than other products on the market, since there are several with caffeine and para cress, but I do like it a lot.  I would definitely buy it again if it's reasonably priced.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they deliver next month!

I decided to give this a try and signed up. I was expecting some kind of quiz or profile to fill out, because the video mentions cosmetics and shows a sample item of pressed powder. I was wondering how they'd know what colours to send out, so I asked on live chat:

Not really helpful, so I tried the 800 number, but I think they are using generic overseas phone support for that too. The person who answered was friendly and understood my question, but said that I'd need to let them know what skintone I have, since everyone is different. She offered to take down my information and 'escalate' the request to their head office. Surprised, I asked if every subscriber would have to contact them about this, and she said yes! Since the teaser for the next box isn't cosmetics, I told her it was ok and she didn't have to take down my info just then.

How bizarre! I really hope that she was mistaken. If it's this difficult to get basic information, I can only imagine how hard it would be to deal with a real customer service issue.

Update: I decided to email to confirm if this is true, and the email [email protected] bounced. I wrote to [email protected] instead, which is the email on the website. I'm kind of put off by this. 

I'm curious about how to buy the products that I've received. Usually, it seems like subs are sampling services that encourage you to try products and then buy said products. I can't seem to find how I can reorder what I've received. I really do love the two products from June and would like to know how I can get more.

Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm curious about how to buy the products that I've received. Usually, it seems like subs are sampling services that encourage you to try products and then buy said products. I can't seem to find how I can reorder what I've received. I really do love the two products from June and would like to know how I can get more.
This is what I see in my member dashboard, looks like they don't have the purchase option available right now, but plan to add it in the future.

Members can purchase the Face Primer No. 327 and Eyelift Primer No. 328 kit. Supplies are limited.

Only

$29.95

+ Shipping & Handling
Purchase Options Coming Soon

I got a very nice response about the colours; I'm putting it behind a spoiler because it has the teaser for July mentioned earlier:

[SIZE=medium]The color cosmetics we are currently choosing for our subscribers are suitable for all skin types and skin colors. We endeavor to please everyone (though we know we can’t always) and are discovering more and more products that can be used by a vast majority of women. We search all over the world for new and innovative products that will, hopefully, allow our beauty lovers to explore and try new products without “color matching†any particular skin tone. For example our June products - were both exciting and novel primers for face and eye respectively and can be used by anyone. I see that you signed up for July –  those selections are in the skincare category from Switzerland, and just lovely.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]We are now looking at make-up products in colors that are a “must†(with a twist) for every woman’s make-up collection - I can assure you more beautiful products are on their way…[/SIZE]
I'm curious to see what they send out, and am feeling more optimistic about this sub than I was earlier. 

The customer service is amazing! My face primer came leaky and without hesitation, they sent a new box express. Love this already!

The site says boxes are shipping, and my July status updated to 'warehouse'. Anyone get a shipping notice yet?

The June box is also for sale on the site for $30 + shipping. For the people who got it, do you think it's worth buying for that price? I'm more interested in the face primer than the eyelift primer, but both look nice. I currently use Pixi face primer (meh) and UD eye primer. 

Update: I received a shipping notice!

I received my shipping notice today too. Based on last months shipping time, I expect it to be delivered by Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

The primers are amazing! If I hadn't received the replacement of both for the leaky one, I'd buy another months worth. It is silky on the face. The eye primer is thicker, not my favorite but it does the trick. I have to put it on really lightly or my shadow creases.

I agree about the primers.  I LOVE the face primer enough that I just reordered a 30-day supply.  I don't want to run out, and I figured it was still a good deal to get both primers for $35.90.

By the way, I also got my shipping notice on Sunday, but when I went on the website to reorder the primers, I saw a notice that said the email we received was delayed. The July products actually shipped on Friday, so that just means we're a little bit closer to seeing spoilers!

Oh, they also said on the website that shipping times have been faster than they expected, and they've been seeing deliveries as quick as 2 to 5 days!

Back