Makeup packaging

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have a gold crab (zodiac) powder compact I received as a gift in High School.  The powder stunk, but I've never been able to throw away the compact because the packaging was so beautiful.   It's in storage though, so I don't remember who it's by, Estee Lauder maybe?  I recall the powder being full of sparkles in a translucent powder though.  
Yes! Estée Lauder is selling them. I want this really bad, I'm a cancer too, but $70 is a little too much maybe some lone will buy it for Xmas

Originally Posted by dheartsmac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the queen of de-potting, I can honestly say packages never sway me to purchase, but they will make me not purchase something.
This may sound stupid but what is de-potting? And I agree, packaging can make me not purchase as well

it's when you remove a makeup pan (e.g. pressed eyeshadow) from a palette, usually to put in your own DIY palette. I like de-potting my favorite shadows into little pill bottles to stick in my purse:

<-- matte cream for the browbone, shimmer as a highlighter, and black to smoke out my eyeliner

I take this, some eyeliner, brushes, and a mini mascara when I don't have time to put my makeup on.

Originally Posted by leah970 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This may sound stupid but what is de-potting? And I agree, packaging can make me not purchase as well

Originally Posted by lilsxkitten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It is probably Dubarry (same as my compact).  They did a zodiac line.  and it is probably the same product as well.
I just did an image search and it's Estee Lauder, but not their current Zodiac packaging.  I received my compact in the mid-late 90's sometime (when I was in HS) 

These are the only images I could find of it:

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm so sad! It's a Spring 2012 limited edition collection.
scared.gif
Asos still has this on their site:

Asos always have free shipping and coupon codes that they email out so often! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Oh I could glomp you! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Dalisay /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm so sad! It's a Spring 2012 limited edition collection.
scared.gif

Asos still has this on their site:

Asos always have free shipping and coupon codes that they email out so often! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh I could glomp you! Thanks!
yw. It's on sale today for 25.51 rather than yesterday for 36.94.

Back to the topic. I do admit that packing does make a big impact on my purchases but not entirely. Usually when I buy something that looks cute, it's mainly only for show/display and occasional use. I do like to collect :] Other than that, I based my purchases of reviews and what the product promises to do.

Pretty packaging draws me in but it ultimately comes down to the product. However, I have to say that I am absolutely loving the Marchesa Perfume packaging (which only makes sense because their dresses are stunning) and I am hoping that I love the fragrance, I have a sample to try. Hoping!

I saw those on the Birchbox site MissLindaJean...always nice when you can use your points for the pretties!

I saw those on the Birchbox site MissLindaJean...always nice when you can use your points for the pretties!
Absolutely! I just thought it was funny where this thread had gone regarding animals and saw that, so why not share?

They are cute but I don't think I would want to carry around 3 little compacts...wish they had put it all in one!

I'm big on packaging for things I want to keep out. I agree benefit has some cool packages, but I usually keep all that stuff in my makeup bag, especially since their bronzers and such are those cardboard boxes. Cheeky, but not always the prettiest!  I'm really loving the Dior holiday nail polish packaging, I've been eyeing that red for awhile! I might buy just to keep on my dresser :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Dior Grand Bal Collection for Holiday 2012

(photo from Beautyzine)

Generally speaking I buy products after research or if I am looking for something specific and did not get to research or just need to see it in person I will tend to ask the salesperson and/or do a swatch of the tester. Cute packaging might be a deciding factor if two products seem to have similar reviews. That happened when I was choosing my first eyelid primer and bought the Urban Decay Primer Potion because I liked the style of package. But it already had great reviews. I definitely would not have dropped that kind of money had I not researched it first.

However, if something has cute packaging and is inexpensive I will occasionally try it, but I usually stick to items like lip glosses that I know I can use even if the pigment is not that great.

OOoohhh Paul & Joe is the worst! They make such amazingly cute makeup, how can you possibly use it? Sometimes I think that the packaging gets in the way of the actual product...P&J, for example, could be the best lipstick in the entire World, ever, but who would want to destroy the kitty to find out? I want great makeup with packaging that's to the point.

I am usually not a sucker for packaging. But Jill stuart's packaging is soooo princessy that I caved in and bought the blushers when I was in Taiwan and Japn. And they come with a cute retractable blush brush too... Not to mention the blusher colors are so sweet and pretty. Otherwise generally I dun really care about packaging as long as the product as good

This is the picture of the loose powder blush.... and the mixed compact blush packagin is super duper cute too

Originally Posted by geeko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am usually not a sucker for packaging. But Jill stuart's packaging is soooo princessy that I caved in and bought the blushers when I was in Taiwan and Japn. And they come with a cute retractable blush brush too... Not to mention the blusher colors are so sweet and pretty. Otherwise generally I dun really care about packaging as long as the product as good

This is the picture of the loose powder blush.... and the mixed compact blush packagin is super duper cute too
I've been wanting to try Jill Stuart since forever ago! But I just can't choose between Jill Stuart and Les Merveilleuses de Ladurée. The only two brands that i actually want based on packaging. I know for a fact that I'm going to buy one or the other as a bday gift to myself next month. 

The Les Merveilleuses de Ladurée cosmetics looks too cute too... argh... now I have additional lemming for another brand lol!

Back