POPSUGAR Must Have - October 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last months box was great This months is a major disappointment-  Anyone who wanted to read Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling bought it when it came out,  gummy candy & popcorn for a toddler , Breast Cancer edition or not, the pink glitter nail polish shouldn't be worn in public by anyone even a 5 year old, cheap shampoo, an ugly candle with an unpleasant scent and socks that can only be worn if you have a size 12 foot...........horrible box absolutely horrible.   

I loved the box. Dont usually buy books, but was excited to receive this one because its one I did actually want to read. Candy and food was a nice extra and could be enjoyed immediately upon receiving the box. I loved both colors of the nail polish.. wearing the pastel pink currently and love glitter polishes - even if just as an accent nail or for a fun french manicure. candle was nice and something I wouldnt buy for myself. Even if I dont burn it, its a nice decoration piece. Socks are also great today for the storm and doing my kinect workout inside lol. Agree that the shampoo/conditioner werent great but theyre just a small percentage of the box and can be used when travelling. i guess to each their own regarding personal value.

Originally Posted by Beauty-Flawed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Very cool of them to offer that, I think. Thanks for emailing them and clearing it up!
You are much welcome.

For those who wants some help on their October Boxes:

I got my box today. The only two things I was really disappointed with was the socks and gummy bears. Socks were huge! I wear a size 5... :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

i got the candle in japanese peony :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

December is now sold out.  Looks like they may not need to give out discount codes for awhile!

This is insanity! I got the 3 month thing -- not sure if I'm subscribing for Jan yet :-/

Originally Posted by Kyleyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

December is now sold out.  Looks like they may not need to give out discount codes for awhile!

Thats super nice of them. I honestly don't care about it but thats nice of them to offer

Originally Posted by iPretty949 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I emailed the CS of Popsugar and they said that :

I hope this would answer our questions. To those who wants to rectify the situation, they acknowledge its their mistake.

I just got my box. My candle is the rose one. If anyone with gardenia, jasmine, or even peony wants to trade, let me know. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just painted my nails and toenails with 'I think in pink.'

Looking forward to reading the new book and eating my snacks tonight.

Edited to add: I did indeed get full sized shampoo and conditioner. It smells sooooo good, that I am considering breaking my sulfate and silicone ban.

This is insanity! I got the 3 month thing -- not sure if I'm subscribing for Jan yet :-/
Same here. I wonder how quickly January is going to sell out now - my goodness!

Originally Posted by Kyleyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that's crazy! I was thinking of subbing but I guess I took too long to think lol oh well it wasnt meant to be :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by snowtigr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Last months box was great This months is a major disappointment-  Anyone who wanted to read Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling bought it when it came out,  gummy candy & popcorn for a toddler , Breast Cancer edition or not, the pink glitter nail polish shouldn't be worn in public by anyone even a 5 year old, cheap shampoo, an ugly candle with an unpleasant scent and socks that can only be worn if you have a size 12 foot...........horrible box absolutely horrible.   
I totally disagree! I eat popcorn and gummy candy and I'm not a toddler! I also wear pink glitter polish all the time and I'm not 5. I use "cheap" shampoo all the time, and I love candles. So for me the box is awesome.

I just don't really want the book. But I'll still end up reading it.

If anyone doesn't want the socks, you can donate them to clothing drives and stuff.

Originally Posted by CaliMel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally disagree! I eat popcorn and gummy candy and I'm not a toddler! I also wear pink glitter polish all the time and I'm not 5. I use "cheap" shampoo all the time, and I love candles. So for me the box is awesome.

I just don't really want the book. But I'll still end up reading it.

If anyone doesn't want the socks, you can donate them to clothing drives and stuff.
I wear pink glitter polish too! I didn't think it looked childish but to each their own

I loved the box! The socks are fantastic for me, I'm excited about the book! The candle is so fun and one of the very reasons I subscribe to this box: a super fun thing that I wouldn't buy for myself. This is actually the first box where I felt like it was a surprise picked out for me by someone who knew me, and knew I would use every item. I would love ore socks if anyone doesn't like theirs... I guess I'm lucky to have large feet.

I actively wanted that glitter polish, but I DID NOT WANT the pink polish (I hate pink nail polish on me.  I may be a 40-year-old who works in corporate finance, but my nails do *not* reflect either of these things.  Fortunately, I live in Portland, the land of eternal twentysomethings, even when the bodies are fortysomething, and the grunge era is coming back, so no one bats an eye when I show up for work with skulls all over my nails or concrete-colored polish), so I was unwilling to buy the set.  I'm absolutely thrilled that they sent this set even if I will not use the pink polish:  If something is sent in one of my subscription boxes, I don't have to feel guilty about acquiring something I will never use.  I can just throw it up on my swap page and see if I get any takers.  If not, it's not like I'm out any money.

One thing that occurred to me when I read the book jacket:  They probably picked this book partially because it was JK Rowling** but also partially because it's about an *election*.  Very timely pick in that sense.  I'm washing the socks right now (I hate wearing *anything* that hasn't been washed first due to skin irritations), and then everything is going to be tucked away for Monday, aka the first day of my vacation -- aka the day before the US general election.  This is very much a staycation-in-a-box for me, although I have to add my own tea, blanket, and kitties.  It's so synchronic I can't believe it actually happened!

Overall, I could count the ways that this box might as well have been custom-assembled for me, but I'll save that ramble for my blog.  I will say that I was initially bummed to get a rose candle because I'm not really a huge rose fan, but I just remembered that I'm in (and a native of) the City of Roses, so even *that* is right for me.  I'm really looking forward to breaking out everything in this box next week!

**  Regardless of how you may feel about the book or what the reviews say, it's currently third on the NYT hardcover fiction bestseller list.  It was just released on September 27th.  We're not talking about some piece of crap book that has been languishing in the warehouse for so long that they can't even remainder it, so they just want it *out the door*, and this is the *current* list, so people are still buying it like crazy.  Last week -- when these boxes were still shipping/arriving -- it was number one.  Dismissing the book because "anyone who wanted to read [it] bought it when it came out" just doesn't make sense because a lot of people are still buying it, and then there are people like me who won't buy a hardcover because they're far more expensive than paperbacks, and even then, I prefer to get my books from the library so I can spend my money/storage space on other things, like Cherry Bomb Whisky, horror movie t-shirts, and more deep purple eyeliner than one person will ever be able to wear.  I read *far* too much to be willing to buy every book I want to read.

LOL, Meganola, I was just wondering which candle you got, because if you'd have wanted to trade, we could do it in person, but you got the same one as me! We got different colored scarves, but the same candle. I think I will take back my offer of trading it, simply because the shipping would be a little spendy after packing it properly. It does smell very nice, I just have a lot of Pacifica rose from when the outlet was still open.

You bring up a very good point about this book (and a lot of the things they send us) is a hot item. I really appreciate that, because I don't really keep up with the cultural trends as much as other people seem to do. But not because I don't want to. I feel like I'm being included.

The workout dvd was also very on trend.

I love this pink nail polish. It's very classy. I really want to wear the glitter one on my toes.

Originally Posted by CAPSLOCK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I loved the box! The socks are fantastic for me, I'm excited about the book! The candle is so fun and one of the very reasons I subscribe to this box: a super fun thing that I wouldn't buy for myself. This is actually the first box where I felt like it was a surprise picked out for me by someone who knew me, and knew I would use every item. I would love ore socks if anyone doesn't like theirs... I guess I'm lucky to have large feet.
I totally agree and feel the same way about the box. And I've been trying to do more yoga so the socks will give me an incentive to do it more just so I can wear the socks. I would never buy a candle like that either but I like having it even if I will gift it.

I want to know how many of us have the pink nail polish on right now! I was thinking of doing a black or dark color in honor of Halloween but the pink totally won.

I also like that we got the JK Rowling in a hard book form because I have been reading on my kindle for the last few months and to have a book in the old fashion form just feels so fresh and fun again.

Wow, I can't believe December is sold out, but I guess they do have to count all of us as continuing to be subscribed so not to oversell boxes.

Originally Posted by Moonittude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You bring up a very good point about this book (and a lot of the things they send us) is a hot item. I really appreciate that, because I don't really keep up with the cultural trends as much as other people seem to do. But not because I don't want to. I feel like I'm being included.
Yeah, um, to be perfectly honest, I did not even know that JK Rowling had written a book "geared toward adults" or whatever!  haha.  

at first i wasn't thrilled about the box, it was ok, not great or not awful either, but i ended up LOVING the socks, the gummies and popcorn were a great afternoon snack at work, and eventually i might get to read the book too.  I loved the polish (im a junkie though) and i dont plan to get rid of this sub for awhile, they keep me intrigued with what they will send next!

Im not much into my rose scented candle, but i'm sure i can regift that! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back