Skin care brands, the best and the worst

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I like most of Clinique's cosmetic lines, I too have had bad experiences with their skin care products. They are very harsh! In particular, one of their toners that I used felt like it was burning my skin off and didn't do much to improve my complexion (I was a teen at the time).

I've tried a lot,Nivea and dove lotions dried my skin. Aveeno skin relief moisturizing lotion is the best I've tried so far,lush is good too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've had 3 different dermatologists tell me the same thing for both me and my daughter. Cetaphil and aveeno. I personally don't like the way aveeno smells so we use cetaphil. It started out just using cetaphil for my daughter. Then she used my shower and left her cetaphil in it and my husband used it. I heard him yelling, " hey! I really like this soap, what is it?" now it's just easier that we all use it. So we got cetaphil for the house.

For me i love Jurlique without a doubt. It's 100% organic, but has the science to back it up too.  They have products to address any skin concern, such as oily skin, dry skin, loss of elasticity, uneven skin tone etc.. And the ones i've used so far really work.  I tried PAD night lotion and eye cream, but also heard great things about their other products too. Long term effects from these creams are good too, as some other creams with harsh chemicals will have bad long term effects on your skin. Check out their FB page, cz they have a promotion giving away free products..

I really love Philosophy products - Purity and Hope in Jar. Some people don't like the smell but I love it! Reminds me of my childhood lol

For pimples I put a very small amount of Clearasil Vanishing Acne Treatment Cream and it usually gets rid of the whole pimple, redness and all within the night while I'm sleeping. Hope it helps:)

i may be one of the few that used Proactiv for years and didn't have dried out skin.  i had horrible, painful cystic acne and Proactiv was the only thing that worked. i used the 3-piece cleansing/treatment set as well as the oil-free moisture and tinted moisturizer. i only stopped using it because i'm now approaching 40 and want to find something to help with my "aging skin". 

i'm very curious about the products from dr. brandt, but haven't tried them yet as i've got a cupboard full of samples from my beauty subs.

I am all about Clarins in terms of an all-around great product line.  Active Youth Night Cream and Day Cream, BB Cream, Lip Conditioner, Pure Melt Cleanser w/Marula Oil, and Toner w/Peach Water are all a part of my daily routine.  The Pure Melt in particular is perhaps the best, most relaxing, and most luxurious feeling cleansing experience I've had.  This is the stand out product in my opinion. 

Arbonne. I swear by it. The only other product I will use as a substitute is Roc. Its not just your skin care products tho- need to also make sure you're drinking enough water every day, use products that contain sun screen, don't smoke (creates wrinkles around your mouth :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and makes your skin dry and dull besides constricting blood flow), and wash your face before going to bed. It's the whole process that makes you not only look and feel better, but allows your product do the best job! A person doesn't have to spend hundreds of dollars to look like a million bucks!

I use Suki foaming exfoliating scrub or Skinceuticles clearifying cleanser, depending on the day. For moisturizer I use Benefit Total Moisture Facial Cream (I LOVE this stuff. Not only does it come in the cutest package ever, but it's the perfect balance of moisture for my face) When I need a mask I use Bliss Steep Clean Pore Purifying Mask.

I have pretty good skin, with an occasional pimple. When I get a breakout I use Clean and Clear Spot Treatment. Clears things up quite well. I used to use Say Yes to Tomatoes roller ball, but I find it's no longer effective.

The entire Kiehl's skincare line is really effective and gentle. I have sensitive skin and the Ultra Facial line (moisturizer, face wash, and even toner) have been a favorite for a while. While the moisturizer and toner are amazing, the face wash, while great, isn't anything you can't find at the drug store. Burt's Bees for sensitive skin has an amazing face wash that is so gentle and really moisturizing. I've been wanting to try out the rest of the line so if anyone has, let me know what you think.

Originally Posted by amstern /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The entire Kiehl's skincare line is really effective and gentle. I have sensitive skin and the Ultra Facial line (moisturizer, face wash, and even toner) have been a favorite for a while. While the moisturizer and toner are amazing, the face wash, while great, isn't anything you can't find at the drug store. Burt's Bees for sensitive skin has an amazing face wash that is so gentle and really moisturizing. I've been wanting to try out the rest of the line so if anyone has, let me know what you think.
I wanted to buy the Kiehl's moisturizer but it's made with almond oil and I'm allergic. :-( I LOVE their hand lotion though. It's the only thing that works on my hands!

The Kiehl's hand lotion is AMAZING. Every time I buy a bottle my mother or someone steals it from me because it's addicting.

I've just gotten into skin care. I don't get acne, thankfully, and my skin is 'normal' with a bit of oil on the T-zone. I got a tiny tube of Murad's Essential-C daily moisturizer with SPF 30, I like it because it doesn't over-grease me, has sunblock, and doesn't mess with whatever makeup I put over it. I don't know if I'll take the plunge and buy a large one when I run out, though. It's pricey.

I just started using Korres' under eye treatment, whole eye treatment, and Neutrogena's whole face treatment at night. It hasn't been long enough for me to tell any difference. I am going to take weekly barefaced pictures in the same lighting to see if there are any noticeable differences after a while.

One thing I really love is Queen Helene's Mint Julep Mask. I've been using it forever, it really helps soften my skin and seems to grab on to dead stuff and slough it off. 

I have a lot of things to try.

The best:

- Sulwhasoo (I love love love this brand! I use the concentrated ginseng cream, rejuvenating eye cream, and revitalizing serum)

- Skin79 (I use items in their AC Clinic line and it has really helped keep my acne-prone skin at bay)

- Mario Badescu (I had ordered the samples a few months back and fell in love with the healing and soothing mask... I'd love to try their other masks! any recommendations?)

- Cetaphil (the cleanser is AMAZING... I tried it after reading so many great reviews online and never turned back)

The worst:

- Clean and Clear (bah! I have acne-prone skin and have tried a lot of different brands to help with that... I remember this brand breaking me out! it just wasn't for me)

- Ole Henriksen (I have tried a couple of this brand's products - truth serum and roll on blemish attack - but they just didn't work for me)

Originally Posted by lovelywhim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The best:

- Sulwhasoo (I love love love this brand! I use the concentrated ginseng cream, rejuvenating eye cream, and revitalizing serum)

- Skin79 (I use items in their AC Clinic line and it has really helped keep my acne-prone skin at bay)

- Mario Badescu (I had ordered the samples a few months back and fell in love with the healing and soothing mask... I'd love to try their other masks! any recommendations?)

- Cetaphil (the cleanser is AMAZING... I tried it after reading so many great reviews online and never turned back)

The worst:

- Clean and Clear (bah! I have acne-prone skin and have tried a lot of different brands to help with that... I remember this brand breaking me out! it just wasn't for me)

- Ole Henriksen (I have tried a couple of this brand's products - truth serum and roll on blemish attack - but they just didn't work for me)
I've heard a lot of other ladies here rave about Mario Badescu's strawberry scrub..maybe you could try that? I'm currently going through a few of their samples and received the enzyme cleansing gel, hyaluronic eye cream, seaweed night cream, and already finished the collagen moisturizing day cream with SPF 15. I will say, they send generous samples and the little packet of info/usage tips is nice. Definitely a company I'd purchase and like to do repeat business with!

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've heard a lot of other ladies here rave about Mario Badescu's strawberry scrub..maybe you could try that? I'm currently going through a few of their samples and received the enzyme cleansing gel, hyaluronic eye cream, seaweed night cream, and already finished the collagen moisturizing day cream with SPF 15. I will say, they send generous samples and the little packet of info/usage tips is nice. Definitely a company I'd purchase and like to do repeat business with!
Ooh! A strawberry scrub sounds delightful! I tend to be a sucker for anything that smells like strawberries (as evidenced by the row of strawberry scented Bath and Body Works Pocketbacs sitting on my shelf ready for use! haha I really am hopeless =P ). Thanks for the heads up!

And Mario Badescu was definitely super generous with the samples. I wrote them a thank you email letting them know that I'm going to be buying the healing and soothing mask as soon as my sample runs out!

Originally Posted by lovelywhim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooh! A strawberry scrub sounds delightful! I tend to be a sucker for anything that smells like strawberries (as evidenced by the row of strawberry scented Bath and Body Works Pocketbacs sitting on my shelf ready for use! haha I really am hopeless =P ). Thanks for the heads up!

And Mario Badescu was definitely super generous with the samples! I'm going to be buying the healing and soothing mask as soon as my sample runs out.
Of my samples, I really enjoyed the seaweed night cream and will probably purchase that. I don't know if it'll hold up in the fall and winter months, but I did like the texture and my face felt well and moisturized after using it. It also seemed to sink in pretty fast.

Back