Skin care brands, the best and the worst

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of my samples, I really enjoyed the seaweed night cream and will probably purchase that. I don't know if it'll hold up in the fall and winter months, but I did like the texture and my face felt well and moisturized after using it. It also seemed to sink in pretty fast.
 That's good to hear that the seaweed night cream has been working for you! I didn't get it in my sample pack but my mom will be getting it when her package arrives.

I have been taking care of my skin since I was 20 years old I started with Estee Lauder, then Dior, Guerlain, Clarins, Guinot and Olay.  Like all because my skin is sensitive and a little dry Dior worked the best. But know that I'm 45 I've found that Guinot is best for mature skin. Depending on what I can afford or what good offers I find is what I buy.

For the price and the quality and the excellent personal service, I am really loving The Dream Products line. It is mailorder, but the service is fast and the owner works with you to get the right formulation (I have normal to oily skin). Also, most of the products are under $10.

I've noticed that nobody has mentioned Mary Kay. For acne, there is the line called Velocity, which is good for sensitive skin as well, I used velocity for a long time to control my acne. For super sensitive skin, there is the botanical line, which has an amazing mask, and moisturizer as well For anti aging/blemish control/breakout prevention, there is the TimeWise Miracle set. This is the one that I use, it has a 3 in 1 cleanser, moisturizer, and day and night solution, with collagen, and it is SO AMAZING. Protects against UVA and UVB rays that damage our skin, the miracle set is designed to freeze the hands of time, and prevent further wrinkling. Then finally, there is the TimeWise Repair set, which is made to "turn back the clock" on our faces, getting rid of wrinkles, lifts, and protects. Now let me be honest for a minute, I have NEVER had luck with any other brand of skin care. Proactive made me break out really badly, everything else dried my skin out. When I started using Mary Kay, I about croaked I was so excited/impressed. I also have a problem with bags/dark circles under my eyes, not anymore! Swear. If I knew how to post pictures i would post a before and after picture of myself because its unbelievable. And I noticed a difference in only 2 days. A few weeks later, bags are gone. I highly highly recommend Mary Kay to all of you ladies. It's astonishing how far that company has come. I use nothing else. Even with all their makeup products don't even get me started on that! Lol. Good luck :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />)

I actually used the Mary Kay TimeWise line before, but I didn't have as much luck with it. I do love some of other Mary Kay products though (lip balms especially). I'm still bouncing around between brands right now - I just ordered the acne wash from Philosophy, the Clear Days Ahead cleanser, and I can't wait to try it! I will follow up on my experience with it, but I have to wait for it to arrive at my house...

Right now I use a lot of Bona Clara products, (https://www.bonaclara.com/), and I have had a nice experience thus far. Good products for my sensitive skin, and I actually enjoyed reading the educational material they provide on their site and with products. I recommend you check it out. They just announced a new makeup remover for pre-order. As far as I can tell, this is their first product launch in a long time, and I hope it's a sign of more to come. I would love them to expand their items a little bit more, but until then, I will continue to try new things!

I have also have good experience with the Say Yes to Clear Skin line and the Alba Acnedote line..

I ran out of my usual toner and moisturizer several weeks ago (have been using just a basic cream since) and started breaking out yesterday; I had purchased the Ole Henriksen Three Little Wonders set around the holidays so decided to try it yesterday after the Boscia Black Mask. My skin felt really oily by the end of the day but by golly, my breakouts are almost all gone today...go figure. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I just tried a new mascara called Blinc  and I like it.  Has anyone else tried it?  it coats the lashes instead of painting... A delicate waterproof.

Shiseido works very well personally for me. I notice improved evenness and my skin even gets a little brighter (I had never expected skin care products to improve my skin tones, normally I would be glad if they work to smoothen my skin). 

For night cream, Origins High-Potency NightAmins works very well, enriching and moisturizing without being greasy. It has both vitamin C and E. 

The best high-end moisturizer I've used is UV Essentiel SPF 50 by Chanel. It's perfect for summer, very light and never greasy, never feel too thick under makeup.

THe very best cleanser recommended by my derm is purpose, and it comes with a pump or soap version! I have used high end cleansers and I keep going back to that!

I love this thread! I think it's really usefull! I'll say my best products, those products that I don't want to change anymore:

- The best cream for my body is Ureadin from Isdin. My skin is really moisturized for all the day and more!

- The best products for my face are from "Y-en effect"...My face skin has improved incredibly!! moisturizing and anti-wrinkels effect. A general change of my skin.

- The best Mascara is from Dior, Diorshow: I get natural black eye lashes.

I really recommend you these products! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I use Mary Kay 3 in 1 cleanser along with the moisturizer. For my acne I used the Neutrogena Yellow back every other day.

Has anyone tried Lavera products? They are great and really affordable:)

Last edited by a moderator:
My favourite brands are BIODERMA (famous micellar water and Sébium series), LUSH and BODY SHOP ( natural cosmetics that works and smells good) and korean brands such as TONYMOLY, Etude House or SkinFood.
I don´t like Garnier (my skin suffers), Avon ( a lot of money and poor quality).

I recently switched up my skincare routine. I've used clinique cleanser and moisturizing gel for years and I will continue to use them. Here is my current routine: 

Morning: 

cleanse: Clinique 

toner: eau roma water from lush 

moisturizer: Clinique moisturizing gel 

Evening: 

remove eye makeup with makeup wipe

cleanse: philosophy purity made simple 

toner: clarins 

treatment: philosophy clear days ahead pads (love these so far!!) 

moisturize: clinique moisturizing gel 

**If my skin feels particularly dry I use Michael Todd hyralonic acid serum mixed with Clinique moisturizer** 

This seems to be working great so far! I have combination acne-prone skin 

Best: Alpha H, Emma Hardie, Omorovicza (but all pretty £££), La Roche-Posay

Worst: Origins (really don't get them? everything I've tried has been disappointing!), Clinique (supposed to be science-based, but their ingredients are awful!) 

I think my favourite at the moment is Alpha-H, I've been raving about it on my blog, but it really depends on particular products. Moisturisers-wise I'd say Kate Somerville is up there. 

Paula's Choice is very nice. The most important product you can use on a daily basis is sun screen!

You can also look into a Vitamin C serum that includes Ferulic Acid, which is known to increase protection from UV-induced skin damage. The most affordable solution available online, hands down, is the Hydra Select Vitamin C 17% Serum. Only $27 on Amazonhttp://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00IPKIZRW

Good luck!

Paula's Choice is very nice. The most important product you can use on a daily basis is sun screen!
PC's Resist line for dry skin/anti-aging has become my HG. It's gentle but very effective -- my skin is glowing and so soft now. I've used all sorts of things along the way: Shiseido, Clarins, Caudalie, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Olay, Aveeno, Simple, you name it, high or low, I've probably tried it. I loved Shiseido best until I tried PC. I do still use my Truffle Therapy serum alternated with the PC serum, but I think the PC serum does more. 

I still use Aveeno's sunscreen as well as Supergoop, but neither one is OMGawesome. 

Back