What hit the trash can today?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tossed my lip brush from Luxiva (Merle Norman's brand).  It was about 8 years old and honestly just sat in my case for many years, but I went to use it today (trying to use up my many lip glosses!) and it was shedding like crazy.  That wasn't even the part that bothered me the most.  What was worse was that the part that wasn't falling out somehow kept getting pushed back into the handle whenever I pushed it up against my lips (lol hopefully that makes sense).  Just ended up being more trouble than it was worth.  Guess I need to start looking for a new lip brush, although I've never really had one I've liked... 

I just tossed a whole bunch of lip liners and mascaras last night, mostly samples from subs. I find myself tossing more and more stuff lately, at least once a month, and it's starting to really bother me cause it definitely means I have too much crap, yet I just keep amassing more.

I just tossed a whole bunch of lip liners and mascaras last night, mostly samples from subs. I find myself tossing more and more stuff lately, at least once a month, and it's starting to really bother me cause it definitely means I have too much crap, yet I just keep amassing more.
Same here- but overall I am buying less, doing more research on what I buy, and double checking I don't have dupes or even similar products first

This morning I threw out the make-up bag from my January Ipsy.  It has a strong plastic smell and I was trying to "air it out".  Well, after a week it still smells like toxic-chemicals & plastic.  Bye-bye Ipsy bag, you will not be missed. 

Good thread. 

Quote: Originally Posted by LuckyMoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  This morning I threw out the make-up bag from my January Ipsy.  It has a strong plastic smell and I was trying to "air it out".  Well, after a week it still smells like toxic-chemicals & plastic.  Bye-bye Ipsy bag, you will not be missed. 

Good thread. 
OMG my bag smelled SO bad too! I was excited to get it, and thought it was a cute bag......but my God when I opened that puppy up it reeked! 

Tossed a Sonia Kashuk limited edition kabuki brush....it shed like crazy and despite washing it properly, it left hair in my products and on my face...no thanks! (Love their black line of brushes, but I'll never buy the limited edition ones again.) Versache Bright Crystal rollerball...not by choice, but accident. I dropped it and it shattered everywhere. It was a sad moment! And planning on tossing some of my NYX jumbo eye pencils. They crease horribly, and I prefer other formulas to them. I had Lasik to correct my vision a few months ago, and don't want to risk using them. I held on to them after sanitizing them, thinking I'd use them, but I honestly hate them. I kind of held on to them out of guilt because I hate to toss them but...they're just not as good as they were hyped up to be. And planning to "back to MAC" my old foundation that I've had forever, and two paint pots that have dried up. Honestly, I'm irritated the more expensive MAC pain pots dry out more quickly than the Maybelline color tattoos, so I'll be sticking to those from now on. I also have some BH cosmetics lipglosses that I'm planning to give my mom. I don't love it hate them; they're ok. But makeup goes bad and I prefer other formulas to them, so I'd rather see them used up than wasted, so gonna give those away. Tossed a Sally Hansen Diamond Shine top coat that dried out, and plan to toss an old fingerprints polish and an old NYC one that is super old.

Over the last week, I've tossed quite a bit of stuff.  I tossed out old Urban Decay and Covergirl Shadow pencils - the UD because they were 3 or 4 years old and I have several newer, similar colors.  The Covergirl ones I tossed because I just never really liked them.  They were too glittery, not pigmented enough and they had a weird sticky feeling.  I tossed empty sample bottles of the Beauty Protect Shampoo and Conditioner from Birchbox which I loved but I don't see myself spending the money to buy the full size.  I've tossed old sunscreens and a ton of almost empty body lotions.  For some reason, I never use the last little bit of lotion but keep the bottle around.  It's a weird, hoarding habit like I'm afraid to "run out" of a particular lotion, so I keep the little last bit forever.  I'm trying to get over it, haha.  I've tossed a Be A Bombshell blush that I got from Ipsy as it was too shimmery and I didn't like it, but I had used it enough that I wouldn't want to trade it or give it away.  I tossed an old LORAC face powder as it had been sitting in the back of my drawer for I don't know how many years now.  I threw out old cuticle oils and balms that are old and didn't smell quite right and some really old nail polishes that completely separated and gross looking.

I'm trying to declutter but I hate throwing things away as it feels like I'm just throwing money away.  However, it's an oddly satisfying feeling to toss the products that I just haven't liked instead of seeing them every day thinking that I should probably try them again. 

Yeah, there's something empowering (and kind of sad) about throwing stuff away. It's kind of like saying "I had high hopes for this relationship, but it's not meeting my needs and it's time to move on." I used to keep all my makeup forever, but it's impossible after picking up a few subscription boxes. I think it's good, though, because cosmetics really do have a shelf life and I have been worried about being buried alive under an avalanche of samples.

My depotting rampage continues, and I depotted 6 eyeshadows from a Sephora black smoky eye/brown smoky eye palette that I never ever use because I never think of opening it up. I'm hoping that having them in a mag palette will mean that I use them. I also depotted a NYX eyeshadow in Nutmeg from Ipsy, a travel sized Tarte blush in Thankful (why don't they include mirrors in their mini compacts? Argh.), and a MUFE ProFinish sample. There was one depotting casualty; a black matte shadow from the Sephora palette cracked and got tossed. The Emite shadow is actually a nice matte black, so I'm not devastated. To make room in my now full palette, I tossed my previously depotted Pixi bronzer and an Ulta GWP blush in Sunkissed that was a little too glittery for my liking.

I feel like that guy in the booze ads..."I don't wear bronzer often...but when I do...I don't wear Pixi."

Quote: Originally Posted by panicked /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My depotting rampage continues, and I depotted 6 eyeshadows from a Sephora black smoky eye/brown smoky eye palette that I never ever use because I never think of opening it up. I'm hoping that having them in a mag palette will mean that I use them. I also depotted a NYX eyeshadow in Nutmeg from Ipsy, a travel sized Tarte blush in Thankful (why don't they include mirrors in their mini compacts? Argh.), and a MUFE ProFinish sample. There was one depotting casualty; a black matte shadow from the Sephora palette cracked and got tossed. The Emite shadow is actually a nice matte black, so I'm not devastated. To make room in my now full palette, I tossed my previously depotted Pixi bronzer and an Ulta GWP blush in Sunkissed that was a little too glittery for my liking.

I feel like that guy in the booze ads..."I don't wear bronzer often...but when I do...I don't wear Pixi."

I laughed so hard my sides hurt... I don't know why I found that so hilarious, but there you have it.

Loooove the look of the palette! I might have to go on a depotting rampage soon too because when I have singles, I don't even think of using them. 

Quote: Originally Posted by jaylilee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I laughed so hard my sides hurt... I don't know why I found that so hilarious, but there you have it.
Me too! I loved that.  HAHAH!

Also, seconded on the nice look of the palette. I bet you'll get so much more use out of it now!

Ha, thanks! It still needs some rearranging, as having a pigmented matte black eye shadow next to my blush could make for an interesting look one morning when I'm applying blush in a hurry.

This morning I threw out the make-up bag from my January Ipsy.  It has a strong plastic smell and I was trying to "air it out".  Well, after a week it still smells like toxic-chemicals & plastic.  Bye-bye Ipsy bag, you will not be missed.  Good thread. 
I seriously hate most of the ipsy bags that I get. One, because of that strong chemically smell like you said, and two because they're never big enough for the amount of stuff that I tote around, besides which I have the most adorable TokiDoki bag that holds everything and brushes so why even bother?

Ha, thanks! It still needs some rearranging, as having a pigmented matte black eye shadow next to my blush could make for an interesting look one morning when I'm applying blush in a hurry.
You could start a new trend...almost black blush? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by Prtylitlesyko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You could start a new trend...almost black blush?
smile.gif

I was imagining some accidental contouring that made me look like a chimney sweep on closer inspection... 
roflmao.gif

hmm... 

-Empty container of my Holika Holika BB cream. Repurchasing.

-YSL Rouge Volupte Lipstick in Peach Passion (so pretty!! definitely getting more when I can)

-some Neutrogena pressed powder. Didn't even finish it. It made me look sickly and cakey :/

- sample of gucci perfume samples :/ all bad lolol

- japanese eyeliner (forgot brand but it was surely one that didn't budge *__*)

- Proactive fading mark pads... I got them in my ipsy bag, couldn't use them because of allergies... and no one in my family wanted them >_<

- Empty bottle of Nourish Organic face lotion sample also from Ipsy ;D bought a full sized bottle yesterday so I can't wait for it to come on Tuesday <3

-various eyeshadows that were tucked away in my drawers...poor things never stood a chance.. thought about giving them to my little bro as ghetto finger paint but those suckers had NO pigmentation 

-empty bottle of Organic coconut milk hair moisturizing stuff. Makes me feel exotic when I smell it in my locks as i sway them like a model :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Ha cha cha~

My favorite hand mirror. I left it in the floor and stepped on it in the middle of the night. Hopefully that 7 years bad luck stuff is just a superstition. But I'm still kinda bummed. It wasn't anything special, but I was accustomed to it.

I tossed my Pixi mascara from my August Ipsy bag. I was keeping it in my backpack for random touch-ups, but the wand broke and I decided it wasn't worth trying to fix.

Quote: Originally Posted by beautybybrett /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My favorite hand mirror. I left it in the floor and stepped on it in the middle of the night.

Hopefully that 7 years bad luck stuff is just a superstition. But I'm still kinda bummed. It wasn't anything special, but I was accustomed to it.

Aww,,,do you know the brand? Maybe you could pick another one up on eBay.

Honestly, it's nothing special. I could probably find a replacement at the dollar store. I'm more mad at myself for leaving it in the floor. That was silly of me!

Back