Why do people think ear gauges are so gross?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like them, I have mine done. They are small but im still going. I need to find some nice ones though that are the next size up.

That lady was kind of rude and working at VS or not, if it was me I dont wanna here about another chicks private parts, I dont even talk about my own lol
biggrin.gif

i'm not a fan of ear gauging for many reasons, and I'd personally be hesitant to put a hole through my ear that probably would not close up in the future if I wanted to take it out. I mean I leave my earrings out for months...and they never close..I can't imagine having holes not closing up on me. lol

everyone is entitle to their opinion i guess. maybe she thinks piercing down her private part is less "gross" as oversized earlobe? not sure. =/

but personally i hate either. one time i saw a woman sitting in front of me with the giant earlobes it instantly gave me a chill down the spine - it was painful to look at and i can only imagine the pain that people go through to stretch their earlobes that big..but that's just me though. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

First off, it's referred to as stretching when it deals with the act of. Saying your gauging your ears is like saying your burritoing something. It makes no sense.

That aside, I've had a decent amount of both tattoos and piercings. The total count for piercings was 14 at one point but it's dwindled down to *counts* 8 as of now. That being 4 lobe piercings, 1 conch, 1 helix, 1 nose and 1 septum. I'm currently stretching my first ear piercings myself. My goal is 4 gauge but I'm now considering 2. It really isn't painful nor should it ever be, but a lot of people make mistakes or are simply impatient. I've read some stories that would give me nightmares about people rushing the process. The most you should feel is a slight tingling/tightness and slight soreness for a few days, nothing more and you never skip sizes. 8 to 6 is said to be a bit difficult, and 4 to 2 is quite a jump. The main importance is to listen to your body and follow the suggested period of healing and after care. When stretching you do use a tool called a taper and steel is the best material to use. It's actually a very gentle process. The worst I've had was when I went from 20 gauge to 12 gauge in one jump, but I trusted my body piercer. Since, it's been so effortless it's really taking me off guard. I'll be stretching my septum as well to allow for more jewelry options. Sadly it's not removing my desire for a new hole.
wink.gif

That aside, I've never once received any slack due to my body modifications. Maybe I'm just someone that pulls them off well but I get complements instead. When I first got my septum done, I was really worried about the publics reaction as it is quite in your face, but it's the piercing I get the most complements on. Although being an avid supporter of body modification I do feel that there is a time and a place and the individual does it needs to take into account the repercussions of said decision. You'd be surprised at how easy it is to hide larger holes with nice plugs, or hide piercings with either retainers or say with the septum, flipping it up inside the nose. Getting it down is a bit comical and awkward though.

I find it refreshing seeing a business person with modifications. Granted, I have more freedom as I'm in a creative career and I'll often times turn down the job if they request I take out the small stud in my nose. It's really more of a personal thing, I've worked at places that expected their creative design team (whom of which never deal with clients and sit behind their computers all day) to put on a business professional image. The atmosphere at the places were so fake it made me want to crawl out of my skin.

From my personal experience though, I will be avoiding anything from the neck down. Been there, done that, that stuff just gets in the way!! It looks pretty (in my opinion) but it's not functional.

What I DON'T agree with is allowing kids under the age of 16 to get pierced or allowing anyone under the age of 18 to get a tattoo. Too often kids approach these from a trendy point of view, not knowing the proper care, what could happen if they either don't care for the new modification or if they don't do their research and go to just any old studio. Don't get me into what I've seen when kids have gotten ahold of piercing supplies..... or some of the hair brained ideas they have to get around their parents rules.......

i used to have mine stretched to 8. they got really gross though, so i just let them go back to normal size. when i say gross i mean the holes were literally leaking out crap. it was gross. not for me! but i agree. you do have to be VERY patient. the only thing i don't like is that the more you stretch, the smellier it seems to get. blehhh.

Originally Posted by alexxx! /img/forum/go_quote.gif i used to have mine stretched to 8. they got really gross though, so i just let them go back to normal size. when i say gross i mean the holes were literally leaking out crap. it was gross. not for me! but i agree. you do have to be VERY patient. the only thing i don't like is that the more you stretch, the smellier it seems to get. blehhh. You do have to clean it daily. That's part of the upkeep. The ear cheese is just dead skin cells collecting. Yeah, it's a bit gross but cleaning things is really no big deal. I suspect it gets easier when you get into things like plugs name from natural materials. Those do tend to require more upkeep. I'm personally into styles like this:
golden_Floraltwist.gif

Mine got ear cheese even when I wore the crappy studs you buy at jewelry stores. The stuff is nasty if you let it collect.

I think they are alright. What I find gross is when they take the jewelry out and it is just a saggy misshapen hole.

Originally Posted by bellagia /img/forum/go_quote.gif lol @ ear cheese.
there goes my breakfast..

i know! it sounds sooo gross.

my ears were just horrible though. it wasn't a matter of not cleaning them because i did everyday. it would just hurt like hell because the goopy stuff would just like pour out of the hole and dry and ugh. i don't even like to talk about it.
sick.gif

I gauged my ears up to a 2g but i took them out and now i barely fit a 14g. I think it was fun at the time but it would be unsightly as you get older and have these gaping holes in you ears. I actually prefer my earlobes unpierced...but i do love my cartilage piercings.

My oldest cousin gauged his ears out to 00, they look good but I personally wouldn't go any bigger than that. I don't have my lobes gauged but I can fit a 14g in easily, don't know why though.

IMO it's a personal thing. I don't have piercings, but think they can look really good. It's pretty rude for someone to tell you that they think something about your appearance is gross.

OMG...I changed my mind. lol.

I used to like when people had them, but I'm not down with ear cheese! LOL! Gross!!!

j/k.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Manda /img/forum/go_quote.gif Have any of you seen that Dr. 90210 episode where the guy stretched his lobe out so much that it ripped?? *shudders* eewwww, now thats when it gets gross! I think 0g is fine, but when they get TOO big it starts looking funky, but hey if that's what you're [they're] into, go for it, ya know? yea i agree when i think of it that kinda comes to mindbut it looks good on some people honestly

but i must say it doesn't look good on everyone

Originally Posted by han /img/forum/go_quote.gif yes i saw that episode and YES it was gross, after he got his ears fixed he wanted to stretch them out again
wtf.gif
i do like ear gauges and genital piercings as long as its done in moderation.

That's it for me, too.I DO have a genital piercing (so ya'll can be grossed out now whenever you see my posts, lol!!) and also had both nipples and navel for many years (but the down below was the best, so I've kept that one for 12 years
add_twinkle.gif
); I think too much of ANYTHING is gross.

I don't think millions of piercing is attractive and I don't think that huge ear-holes are attractive- within moderation and not to the point that it is the ONLY thing anyone sees when they look at a person. Just like any other accessory, lol!

Just because I have a piercing doesn't mean I must think any and all modifications are appealing.

The coworker wasn't wrong in her opinion; she was wrong in voicing it.

She was guilty of bad manners, no class, bad upbringing, etc.

And she was stupid.
roflmao.gif

Back