Why do people think ear gauges are so gross?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a pretty large amount of tattoos and I started stretching my ears ten years ago.  I have 3/4 inch plugs.  But that being said, my tattoos aren't below my wrists or above my neck, and with flesh-colored silicone plugs in most people don't even notice the ears without me mentioning it.  My friend has 2 1/2 inch plugs, but they're so big, she will take them out and drape her lobes over the tops of her ears and it just looks like she has tiny ears... there's lot's of ways to hide em.  In my opinion, It's all a matter of personal taste and not impossible to disguise these things in a professional setting.  But I can definitely see how it can be off-putting.

There is nothing unprofessional about them. I have gauged ears and I am very successful. This is the 21st century and sometimes you have to realize there are many people that seem to think that what other people like to do have some kind of effect on them. I find that gross.
smile.gif

Okay, I think that gauged ears are unattractive, however I think that people should be free to express themselves as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else...even in a professional setting. What matters is how well you do your job. And yes, sometimes customers are repulsed by certain forms of personal body art...like tattoos and gauged ears, and you have to understand that just because a social stigma seemed stupid, it's still a reality. So...yeah it was rude of the girl to say that to you, but you can't expect everyone to appreciate the same things you do. I personally don't like facial piercings of any kind, but my ex had a pierced tongue and trust me, it was not a bad thing.

Ok so I'm 14 and if I were to have a label I would be classified as "Scene". To the point ok so I have my ears up to a 10 and I am going for a 0g. I really love them!!
heart.gif
 But I live in a small town and I am the ONLY one in the whole town who has them..I am always made fun of because of them so I know how it feels.... I hate it when people are like "Oh you're ears are going to hang to your shoulders!!" or "Ewww they are never going to go back!". It bothers me because they don't know anything about them and they are tying to tell me what's going to happen!! Well they can go f*** themselves because I really don't care about waht they think...Oh well. Well there is my speech....

I had 3/4" ear grommets and comfortably wear 1/2" (they shrunk when I put in the smaller jewelry) and have worked office jobs for the last 5-6 years with them. I've had my ears gauged for nearly 11 years now and it hasn't been a block to me. I am a licensed banker sitting on the 8th floor of a beautiful office in south Orange County. Re: that means I'm in finance, one of the more conservative industries and I'm doing just fine. For anyone that already has earrings that are gauged.. don't be so discouraged by what others say. I'm 25 and doing extremely well. I do wear long sleeves to cover my tattoos and no longer wear any lip piercings. I don't come from money so I'm organically grown.

My point is, gauged ears are accepted here in southern California and It's never been an issue for me professionally so I don't want anyone to get overly scared or have too much anxiety when interviewing/networking whatever.. Work on yourself, your skills more specifically, and don't worry about ear piercings so much.

Lip piercings are another story...

well i have 8s in tappers and going to gauges when i go to 6s and 4s.but i dont like 1inch thats fugly.and to look at someone with every big gauges is gross.you know they stank right well after a while.

Dear Darla. You think you can't be taken seriously in the buisiness and hospital world with guages? Im a male and I worked at a Hospital and helped the elderly with 3/4 guages in my ears and a tattoo on my wrist. My residents loved me and didn't care that I had big holes in my ears and a tattoo. My boss and all my coleges were more than acceptable with the way I look because I'm a good person. Everyone that came to see there loved ones liked me. I had to put in my two weeks to move to phoenix and continue my EDUCATION. There are many people sucessful in buisinesses and high up that are covered in tatoos and have all sorts of percings includeing big guages. Look on Facebook tattoo acceptance in the workplace. There you will see evidence of all the employed and owners of major corporations. Next time do your research before you mouth your concerns. Thanks. And I'd hate to live where you do where everyone DISCRIMINATES over self beautification. Any concerns email me at ***Email REMOVED-BY-ADMIN*** (I also had my own automotive detailing buisiness if you were woundering from my email.) Have a nice day!

Originally Posted by aceman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Dear Darla. You think you can't be taken seriously in the buisiness and hospital world with guages? Im a male and I worked at a Hospital and helped the elderly with 3/4 guages in my ears and a tattoo on my wrist. My residents loved me and didn't care that I had big holes in my ears and a tattoo. My boss and all my coleges were more than acceptable with the way I look because I'm a good person. Everyone that came to see there loved ones liked me. I had to put in my two weeks to move to phoenix and continue my EDUCATION. There are many people sucessful in buisinesses and high up that are covered in tatoos and have all sorts of percings includeing big guages. Look on Facebook tattoo acceptance in the workplace. There you will see evidence of all the employed and owners of major corporations. Next time do your research before you mouth your concerns. Thanks. And I'd hate to live where you do where everyone DISCRIMINATES over self beautification. Any concerns email me at ***Email REMOVED-BY-ADMIN*** (I also had my own automotive detailing buisiness if you were woundering from my email.) Have a nice day!
Removed your email address.  against our TOS

Back