31 Day Nail Art Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Day 4 green.  I used a fan brush.

I love this effect! It's a green I'd be happy wearing.

Quote: Originally Posted by lissa1307 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Day 5...blue!

Did a sponge painting mess of blue goodness with bondi blue skies as the base, salon pefect sugar cube, and pure ice in french kiss,smoothed out with seche vite.

It's so interesting how this combination creates not 'blue skies' but a smoky blue that looks like there's a storm coming!

Day 5...blue!

Did a sponge painting mess of blue goodness with bondi blue skies as the base, salon pefect sugar cube, and pure ice in french kiss,smoothed out with seche vite.

It is so beautiful it looks like stone.

Day 5: Blue.  If anything today's manicure has taught me perseverance and patience.  My final attempt is attempt number 5!  I knew in my mind what I wanted and wasn't going to stop until I was satisfied.  It's not exactly what I wanted but it was pretty enough to post.  I was inspired by a manicure done by More Nail Polish and I will eventually recreate it.  I will link that one below. 

Here is the final result.  Sorry the pictures sucks but I am stuck only using my iPhone still.  I think I might run out later and find a new card reader.  I think my point and shoot Sony got some good pics.  It really does look awesome in person.

What I tried to do was create an underwater jelly sandwich.  It looks so flat in the pictures but there is a bit of depth in the design.  Nowhere near what I wanted to do.  I know what I did incorrectly and will be doing this again soon to fix.  This version started with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Blue-Away.  I then added a layer of LA Colors Flurry glitter.  I then did a layer of my own Franken Jelly which consisted of some Color Club clear polish, L'Oreal Miss Pixie and LA Colors Atomic.  Then I stamped on Mash 48 for the "seaweed" both Perfect Molten and Hot Like Lava from the Color Club Foil collection.  On that layer I added a "sand" tip using Antiquated also Color Club Foil.    Next I added a layer of my jelly water then stamped on the two seahorses in Color Club's Foil Me Once also from the foils and plate from the Salon Express kit.  I hand dotted a few fish using Lumin-iecent from the Color Club foil line as well.  Those did not work so well.  Lastly I topped it all off with my jelly water again.

Initially when I tried this I used Essie Bouncer it's me because that was the only blue jelly I had.  I got frustrated because it was gorgeous but so dark that I googled blue jelly's and found some people saying Miss Pixie was super sheer so I literally ran out after work in a torrential downpour to Walgreens and coughed up my last cash to buy it (well and the last 3 of the Sinful Leather Luxe collection but those were only .99 each.  Miss Pixie was $5.99!!)  When I got home I redid it and it was still to dark.  My next attempt was using OPI Get Your Number textured polish as the base thinking if I had the glitter already in it maybe it would stop it from being too hard to see.  Too dark again.  Version 4 was more of the same using a solid background of the Blue Away but using Miss Pixie at full strength.  I got so defeated then re read the post from More Nail Polish and realized she said she made her jelly.  Since I don't yet have any pigments but I do have 3 extra bottles of clear Color Club top coat I never use, it dawned on me to try my first franken.  I am pretty proud of it.  I added the Atomic because I wanted a bit more "oceany" look.  I enjoyed this process despite how annoyed I got.  I really pushed myself to be creative and to not be undone by my own hands. 

Here's attempt 1.  I had stamped turtles and dolphins too but proportionately they looked stupid. 

And here's the franken jelly with it's parents.  I think I want to name it Atomic Pixie.  LOL!!

Ooops forgot the link.  Here's my inspiration http://www.morenailpolish.com/2013/05/under-sea-3d-stamping.html

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Day 5: Blue.  If anything today's manicure has taught me perseverance and patience.  My final attempt is attempt number 5!  I knew in my mind what I wanted and wasn't going to stop until I was satisfied.  It's not exactly what I wanted but it was pretty enough to post.  I was inspired by a manicure done by More Nail Polish and I will eventually recreate it.  I will link that one below. 

Here is the final result.  Sorry the pictures sucks but I am stuck only using my iPhone still.  I think I might run out later and find a new card reader.  I think my point and shoot Sony got some good pics.  It really does look awesome in person.

What I tried to do was create an underwater jelly sandwich.  It looks so flat in the pictures but there is a bit of depth in the design.  Nowhere near what I wanted to do.  I know what I did incorrectly and will be doing this again soon to fix.  This version started with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri in Blue-Away.  I then added a layer of LA Colors Flurry glitter.  I then did a layer of my own Franken Jelly which consisted of some Color Club clear polish, L'Oreal Miss Pixie and LA Colors Atomic.  Then I stamped on Mash 48 for the "seaweed" both Perfect Molten and Hot Like Lava from the Color Club Foil collection.  On that layer I added a "sand" tip using Antiquated also Color Club Foil.    Next I added a layer of my jelly water then stamped on the two seahorses in Color Club's Foil Me Once also from the foils and plate from the Salon Express kit.  I hand dotted a few fish using Lumin-iecent from the Color Club foil line as well.  Those did not work so well.  Lastly I topped it all off with my jelly water again.

Initially when I tried this I used Essie Bouncer it's me because that was the only blue jelly I had.  I got frustrated because it was gorgeous but so dark that I googled blue jelly's and found some people saying Miss Pixie was super sheer so I literally ran out after work in a torrential downpour to Walgreens and coughed up my last cash to buy it (well and the last 3 of the Sinful Leather Luxe collection but those were only .99 each.  Miss Pixie was $5.99!!)  When I got home I redid it and it was still to dark.  My next attempt was using OPI Get Your Number textured polish as the base thinking if I had the glitter already in it maybe it would stop it from being too hard to see.  Too dark again.  Version 4 was more of the same using a solid background of the Blue Away but using Miss Pixie at full strength.  I got so defeated then re read the post from More Nail Polish and realized she said she made her jelly.  Since I don't yet have any pigments but I do have 3 extra bottles of clear Color Club top coat I never use, it dawned on me to try my first franken.  I am pretty proud of it.  I added the Atomic because I wanted a bit more "oceany" look.  I enjoyed this process despite how annoyed I got.  I really pushed myself to be creative and to not be undone by my own hands. 

Here's attempt 1.  I had stamped turtles and dolphins too but proportionately they looked stupid. 

And here's the franken jelly with it's parents.  I think I want to name it Atomic Pixie.  LOL!!

Ooops forgot the link.  Here's my inspiration http://www.morenailpolish.com/2013/05/under-sea-3d-stamping.html
That is really cool I like it!!!! I think I need to get some jelly polishes

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Day 5: Blue.  

Wow. That is all...just wow! I actually like yours better, BTW.

Quote: Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Wow. That is all...just wow! I actually like yours better, BTW.

Awe thank you!  That's makes all my hard work worth it.

Day 5 Blue.  It's not actually dented or flattened...it's some weird trick of the light.

Day 5 Blue.  It's not actually dented or flattened...it's some weird trick of the light.

OMG I love the edges.  That is fantastic.  I adore this!

Ooh, I love the choice of blue - the whole effect is so crisp!

Day 3: yellow

Bondi Brick Road and sally hanson lightening along with some gold square nail studs

(not like you can tell,its barely visible irl,but the accent is half each color vertically separated by the studs)

and yes i am aware my nail lengths keep changing( i'm wearing artificials for the challenge then i will be taking a break to let my nails recover)
Yes, I definitely can't see the difference in the two yellows, but I love the effect with the studs!

Day 6: Violet

Has it been a week almost already since this madness began?  Today has been a rough one for me physically but I knew exactly what I wanted to create.  Here is my take on the "evil" minions from Despicable Me 2.  I made the error of trying to use a dotting tool with thickened polish under my blowing AC.  Not my finest hour but I can do googly eyes like nobody else!!!  Well everyone except maybe Donna D and her infamous squid eyeballs!  Anyway, to make me feel better about showing this I included yet another cat picture.  That's 4 of my brood I have managed to sneak onto this forum in one fashion or another for anyone who is keeping track.  This is Zelda.  (yes I have cats named Link & Zelda)

Actually the reason I chose this pic was because it was the only room in the house where these didn't look blue!!! 

Closer up.  So what I used was Color Club Pucci-licious from the Poptastic collection.  I love a blue toned violet but this was damn near blurple in some lighting.  I wore this shade on my fingers before I did the art for a few hours and I have to say it's amazing.  Applied like butter.  For the art I used the same black and white from Sinful Colors I have for all the art previously.  From here on out I will not make reference to it unless I use another shade for simplicity sake.  The glasses frames were China Glaze Holographic in Cosmic Dust and the pants were also from that line in Galaxy Gray.  I liked it for sure just didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.  I couldn't think of anything to do with the hair. 

I am getting slightly discouraged as day 6 approaches.  I think now that the "color" challenges are over even with the idea of one based on a color and rainbow, I think I can step up my game a little and am looking forward to the next few challenges.  I really want to think outside the box.

That's adorable!  I did a dot mani with a fan blowing on me once and it made the polish stringy but I went with it and it actually came out cute...but that was flowers, I can't imagine it working as well with eyeballs...squid or no.  lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Day 6: Violet

Has it been a week almost already since this madness began?  Today has been a rough one for me physically but I knew exactly what I wanted to create.  Here is my take on the "evil" minions from Despicable Me 2.  I made the error of trying to use a dotting tool with thickened polish under my blowing AC.  Not my finest hour but I can do googly eyes like nobody else!!!  Well everyone except maybe Donna D and her infamous squid eyeballs!  Anyway, to make me feel better about showing this I included yet another cat picture.  That's 4 of my brood I have managed to sneak onto this forum in one fashion or another for anyone who is keeping track.  This is Zelda.  (yes I have cats named Link & Zelda)

Actually the reason I chose this pic was because it was the only room in the house where these didn't look blue!!! 

Closer up.  So what I used was Color Club Pucci-licious from the Poptastic collection.  I love a blue toned violet but this was damn near blurple in some lighting.  I wore this shade on my fingers before I did the art for a few hours and I have to say it's amazing.  Applied like butter.  For the art I used the same black and white from Sinful Colors I have for all the art previously.  From here on out I will not make reference to it unless I use another shade for simplicity sake.  The glasses frames were China Glaze Holographic in Cosmic Dust and the pants were also from that line in Galaxy Gray.  I liked it for sure just didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.  I couldn't think of anything to do with the hair. 

I am getting slightly discouraged as day 6 approaches.  I think now that the "color" challenges are over even with the idea of one based on a color and rainbow, I think I can step up my game a little and am looking forward to the next few challenges.  I really want to think outside the box.

Day 6- violet

This is that whole take away polish with plastic wrap thing using 3 colours.  I did tomorrow's and Sunday's tonight as well and I have no idea what will happen after that.  I've been feeling "off" for 4 days now thinking maybe allergies are killing me.  But no.  I've got a sore throat and a heavy chest now...I feel the plague coming on.  I'm pretty sure it's the bird-equine-swine flu with a touch of mad cow disease.   If I don't survive, it was nice knowing you all.  I totally do not exaggerate lol.  Hopefully I can finish out the 31 days.

Really loving everyone's nails!

I decided to join in starting today, too, so I have a lot of catching up to do :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Luckily, I'm only 5 manis behind so I think I can do it in a couple of days.

Wow! These violet combinations are both so beautiful. It makes me think that I maybe need more of a stash to work from!  I'll have to make use of both of these techniques in my slower-paced attempts! How did you each minimize clean-up with these?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Day 6- violet

This is that whole take away polish with plastic wrap thing using 3 colours.  I did tomorrow's and Sunday's tonight as well and I have no idea what will happen after that.  I've been feeling "off" for 4 days now thinking maybe allergies are killing me.  But no.  I've got a sore throat and a heavy chest now...I feel the plague coming on.  I'm pretty sure it's the bird-equine-swine flu with a touch of mad cow disease.   If I don't survive, it was nice knowing you all.  I totally do not exaggerate lol.  Hopefully I can finish out the 31 days.

Told you i was going to "borrow" the fan brush technique,lol

here's my violet

here's my violet

Very pretty.  What colors did you use?

Day 6- violet

Awe!  Hope you feel better!!!  This looks awesome.  I first used the saran wrap technique on my orange manicure and kept it in my office not the kitchen because I am definitely going to do it again.  I love the gradient feel to it too.  If someone said I could only wear one shade ever again it would be purples.  I did my first gradient ever with purple and my first dotticure with purples on gray. 

Day 2: orange

Orange jelly sandwich (marmalade nails)

OPI fresh squeezed and spoiled shaken snow globe

I forgot to mention how awesome these are.  Perfect representation of orange.  Makes me thirsty for a glass of OJ!!!

Help the Nail Polish newbie:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Day 6- violet

I love this! So did you use a base coat then add a color on top of that and then use the plastic wrap to pick up the top color? I really want to try this!

here's my violet

Tell me more about this fan brush! Are you dragging a new color on top? or are you dragging paint off? This looks so awesome!

Back