31 Day Nail Art Challenge

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Day 6: Violet

Has it been a week almost already since this madness began?  Today has been a rough one for me physically but I knew exactly what I wanted to create.  Here is my take on the "evil" minions from Despicable Me 2.  I made the error of trying to use a dotting tool with thickened polish under my blowing AC.  Not my finest hour but I can do googly eyes like nobody else!!!  Well everyone except maybe Donna D and her infamous squid eyeballs!  Anyway, to make me feel better about showing this I included yet another cat picture.  That's 4 of my brood I have managed to sneak onto this forum in one fashion or another for anyone who is keeping track.  This is Zelda.  (yes I have cats named Link & Zelda)

Actually the reason I chose this pic was because it was the only room in the house where these didn't look blue!!! 

Closer up.  So what I used was Color Club Pucci-licious from the Poptastic collection.  I love a blue toned violet but this was damn near blurple in some lighting.  I wore this shade on my fingers before I did the art for a few hours and I have to say it's amazing.  Applied like butter.  For the art I used the same black and white from Sinful Colors I have for all the art previously.  From here on out I will not make reference to it unless I use another shade for simplicity sake.  The glasses frames were China Glaze Holographic in Cosmic Dust and the pants were also from that line in Galaxy Gray.  I liked it for sure just didn't turn out as well as I would have liked.  I couldn't think of anything to do with the hair. 

I am getting slightly discouraged as day 6 approaches.  I think now that the "color" challenges are over even with the idea of one based on a color and rainbow, I think I can step up my game a little and am looking forward to the next few challenges.  I really want to think outside the box.

Too cute! I have not attempted nail art yet, lol. I just today used a brush for the first time to do a freehand french tip. It didn't turn out "horrible", but I still have lots of practice to do!

Quote: Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I love this! So did you use a base coat then add a color on top of that and then use the plastic wrap to pick up the top color? I really want to try this!

Tell me more about this fan brush! Are you dragging a new color on top? or are you dragging paint off? This looks so awesome!

Quote: Originally Posted by Christa W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Very pretty.  What colors did you use?

Oops, forgot to list my polishes....it's been a hell of a day,I only got 2 hours of sleep last night,and have the head cold from hell, and i had a massive blowout on the highway this morning..i've had blowouts before (i'm the queen of popping tires) but this was the first one where i've ever lost control of the car, luckily it was 4am and no one was beside me as it took two lanes to recover control, and i'm pretty good at regaining control...so the only damage was the wheel and my pride,just a little shaken up...and spending over an hour by myself in the dark at 4 am on the most remote,un-lit part of the highway in the middle of nowhere didn't help...needless to say i didn't make it to work, i went home and went back to bed.

anyway, i used essie play date as my base color, and used the fan brush to very lightly drag pure ice in no means no from the tip almost all the way up the nail. i used a light hand and a small fan brush ( i use art brushes not nail art brushes) and small amounts of polish so there was very little paint anywhere but the nail, a small brush in some polish remover took care of the few stray lines i had.

Thank you for the idea DonnaD and i hope you feel better soon, being sick stinks!

Quote: Originally Posted by lissa1307 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oops, forgot to list my polishes....it's been a hell of a day,I only got 2 hours of sleep last night,and have the head cold from hell, and i had a massive blowout on the highway this morning..i've had blowouts before (i'm the queen of popping tires) but this was the first one where i've ever lost control of the car, luckily it was 4am and no one was beside me as it took two lanes to recover control, and i'm pretty good at regaining control...so the only damage was the wheel and my pride,just a little shaken up...and spending over an hour by myself in the dark at 4 am on the most remote,un-lit part of the highway in the middle of nowhere didn't help...needless to say i didn't make it to work, i went home and went back to bed.

anyway, i used essie play date as my base color, and used the fan brush to very lightly drag pure ice in no means no from the tip almost all the way up the nail. i used a light hand and a small fan brush ( i use art brushes not nail art brushes) and small amounts of polish so there was very little paint anywhere but the nail, a small brush in some polish remover took care of the few stray lines i had.

Thank you for the idea DonnaD and i hope you feel better soon, being sick stinks!

WOW!  I had my right front tire literally sheer off the bolts while I was driving and flew 60 yrds.  It was a busy road too but I was lucky and smart enough to get over and there was a small hill in front of a shopping center so nobody was near me on that side.  I am glad you are safe and thanks for listing the polishes.  I was going to ask but thought maybe you had them on a blog somewhere!

Quote: Oops, forgot to list my polishes....it's been a hell of a day,I only got 2 hours of sleep last night,and have the head cold from hell, and i had a massive blowout on the highway this morning..i've had blowouts before (i'm the queen of popping tires) but this was the first one where i've ever lost control of the car, luckily it was 4am and no one was beside me as it took two lanes to recover control, and i'm pretty good at regaining control...so the only damage was the wheel and my pride,just a little shaken up...and spending over an hour by myself in the dark at 4 am on the most remote,un-lit part of the highway in the middle of nowhere didn't help...needless to say i didn't make it to work, i went home and went back to bed.

Oh my goodness! I'm glad you're ok...I hope your head cold feels better soon. 

Thanks for the polish info!

Here are my first three entries :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I still need to make 3 more to catch up, but I'm working on it.

Polishes used: Zoya Chyna, Zoya Dahlia

Polishes used: Bondi Chasing The Sun, essie Bikini So Teeny, Julep Leighton, MASH nail design pen in Black

Polishes used: Color Club Mod in Manhattan, Bondi The Limelight, Lime Crime Crema de Limon, nail art gems

Quote: Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Here are my first three entries :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I still need to make 3 more to catch up, but I'm working on it.

Polishes used: Bondi Chasing The Sun, essie Bikini So Teeny, Julep Leighton, MASH nail design pen in Black

Polishes used: Color Club Mod in Manhattan, Bondi The Limelight, Lime Crime Crema de Limon, nail art gems

These are so pretty!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So very jealous of your creativity and nail art skills!

Quote: Originally Posted by lissa1307 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  These are so pretty!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So very jealous of your creativity and nail art skills!

Thank you ladies, you are too sweet :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I used Lakur in Purple Reign then seche vite on top to get it to dry fast.  Then I painted one coat of Lush Lilac from Madison Street.  I immediately painted one coat of Monarch Purple (also by Madison Street) and then immediately dabbed small pieces of plastic wrap to lift off some of the top two coats.  I used a very light hand.

For the fan brush, I paint a few colours onto some foil as you would on a sponge if you were sponging.  One stripe above the next.  Then I swipe the fan brush through all 3 (4, 5...however many polishes) colours at once then sweep it over the base coat.  I'm pretty heavy-handed about it.  I like a lot  of colour to show up on the nail.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jesemiaud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I love this! So did you use a base coat then add a color on top of that and then use the plastic wrap to pick up the top color? I really want to try this!

Tell me more about this fan brush! Are you dragging a new color on top? or are you dragging paint off? This looks so awesome!

OMG!  These are so so freaking cute!  Great job!

Quote:

Originally Posted by OiiO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I clean up with a brush.  I have a lamp with a magnifying glass in it which makes it really easy to not get polish on your cuticles in the first place and easier to clean off what does.  If I did not have that magnifying glass, I shudder to think how horrible my cuticles would look.  I'm old now...for real, sigh...and I have bifocals but they do not cut it for up close work.  The lit up magnifier makes all the difference in the world.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monika1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Two manis to go! Just made this one for the Green day.

Polishes used: Sally Hansen Jaded, Nailtini Mai Tai and  Zoya Ziv

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thats a great idea, even for the younger ones...i don't have the greatest vision myself, near sighted, but my glasses make it hard to see up close so i have to take them off anyway..a lighted magnifier would help alot...i have a birthday in november i think i know what to tell hubby now,lol

I have two.  A lamp that attaches to the edge of my desk if I'm doing my nails at the desk and a floor lamp by my chair in the living room in case I'm too lazy to get up.

The desk lamp:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029ZBKX0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (wait for it to go on sale.  I got mine for $15)

The floor lamp...I got mine years and years ago but they still sell it.  http://www.marymaxim.com/easyflex-natural-spectrum-floor-lamp-1.html

Thanks!! i'm showing these to hubby when he gets home and telling him "birthday"

oh i got a head start on tomorrow's black and white mani...lol...

i smeared the dots with the topcoat so i might need to redo them, buuuut probably not cause its only going to be on a day and they aren't noticeable irl..not to mention tomorrow is my son's bday so i'll be busy and not giving a hoot about my nails.

all done in sally hanson xtreme wear in black out, and salon perfect in sugar cube, plus a few silver nail studs randomly added to the dots cause it just needed a little something more..

I have two.  A lamp that attaches to the edge of my desk if I'm doing my nails at the desk and a floor lamp by my chair in the living room in case I'm too lazy to get up.

The desk lamp:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0029ZBKX0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (wait for it to go on sale.  I got mine for $15)

The floor lamp...I got mine years and years ago but they still sell it.  http://www.marymaxim.com/easyflex-natural-spectrum-floor-lamp-1.html

That floor lamp is awesome.  I need something like this to start painting my Warhammer 40k miniatures too!!

Day 7 black

This is OPI Black Spotted which apparently a major witch to get but I got it when Zulily had it's last OPI sale.  I feel like it's kind of cheating since it's not technically nail art but OMG this stuff is gorgeous!  It's not like those horrid crackle polishes everyone hates.  After I did this, I was searching for info on it and came across a site that explains how you can get various effects out of it.  My base coat wasn't completely dry which is why I have the thin lines.  You can see her excellent swatches and explanation here: http://www.nailderella.com/2012/06/opi-black-spotted.html

I just thought it looks seriously cool.  You can get Black Spotted on Amazon for some ridiculous price...20+ dollars.  I got it with another OPI both together for $7.  If you want it, keep an eye on Zulily.  Maybe they'll put it on sale again.

This is adorable!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lissa1307 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  oh i got a head start on tomorrow's black and white mani...lol...

i smeared the dots with the topcoat so i might need to redo them, buuuut probably not cause its only going to be on a day and they aren't noticeable irl..not to mention tomorrow is my son's bday so i'll be busy and not giving a hoot about my nails.

all done in sally hanson xtreme wear in black out, and salon perfect in sugar cube, plus a few silver nail studs randomly added to the dots cause it just needed a little something more..

Day 7 black

This is OPI Black Spotted which apparently a major witch to get but I got it when Zulily had it's last OPI sale.  I feel like it's kind of cheating since it's not technically nail art but OMG this stuff is gorgeous!  It's not like those horrid crackle polishes everyone hates.  After I did this, I was searching for info on it and came across a site that explains how you can get various effects out of it.  My base coat wasn't completely dry which is why I have the thin lines.  You can see her excellent swatches and explanation here: http://www.nailderella.com/2012/06/opi-black-spotted.html

I just thought it looks seriously cool.  You can get Black Spotted on Amazon for some ridiculous price...20+ dollars.  I got it with another OPI both together for $7.  If you want it, keep an eye on Zulily.  Maybe they'll put it on sale again.
Wow! That is really impressive. Cool effect!

Back