April 2012 No-Buy Support

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about (just as a suggestion), instead of a no-buy, do a project 10 pan or something like that - you might not feel that you're restricting yourself quite so much as you'll have a different focus :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I think a lot of us actually are doing project pans, we're just not very good at it, lol. Also, I thought with a project pan, you couldn't buy anything either? I'm not totally certain, but that's how I've seen a lot of them go down.

I thought about making a minor change, and giving myself a little allowance of $25 ish to spend at the end of every month (if I wanted). That way, I could curb some serious lemmings without breaking the bank and I would have a month to really, really think about whether or not I wanted something. Then, after I finish my massive project 25 pan, I'll buy a "big" item or something. I dunno. Still trying to find the balance of what works and what doesn't. 

Originally Posted by Makeup-Pixi3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How about (just as a suggestion), instead of a no-buy, do a project 10 pan or something like that - you might not feel that you're restricting yourself quite so much as you'll have a different focus :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Uh oh. JCP just increased my credit limit by 500%. That's a lot of Sephora inside JCP/sephora.com. Will resist.

Oooh, stay strong! You can do it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Also, kudos to anyone with a credit card that doesn't go absolutely nutso with it! 

Originally Posted by amberlamps /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Uh oh. JCP just increased my credit limit by 500%. That's a lot of Sephora inside JCP/sephora.com. Will resist.

A budget is a really good idea, if you think you can stick to it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah with a Project Pan you basically go on a no-buy too - but it's not restricted to a timeline, so you could find yourself purchasing again in 3 weeks for example.  Usually from what I see people tend to pick items which are already just hitting pan on but still need a fair bit of usage to be totally used. That way, you don't feel like you're picking something from scratch too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by ladygrey /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think a lot of us actually are doing project pans, we're just not very good at it, lol. Also, I thought with a project pan, you couldn't buy anything either? I'm not totally certain, but that's how I've seen a lot of them go down.

I thought about making a minor change, and giving myself a little allowance of $25 ish to spend at the end of every month (if I wanted). That way, I could curb some serious lemmings without breaking the bank and I would have a month to really, really think about whether or not I wanted something. Then, after I finish my massive project 25 pan, I'll buy a "big" item or something. I dunno. Still trying to find the balance of what works and what doesn't. 

I think I'm going to do that! I'm going to not spend any more this month, and go sell some old clothes, shoes, books, etc so I can have a little bit of spending money. I really want to get some of the MAC Hey Sailor collection when it comes out, and if I restrict myself a bit and save up, I think I can justify it. Plus, it would be a non-impulse buy that I saved up for, and those don't come with all of the bad feelings that my impulsive, rash buys usually do. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Makeup-Pixi3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A budget is a really good idea, if you think you can stick to it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah with a Project Pan you basically go on a no-buy too - but it's not restricted to a timeline, so you could find yourself purchasing again in 3 weeks for example.  Usually from what I see people tend to pick items which are already just hitting pan on but still need a fair bit of usage to be totally used. That way, you don't feel like you're picking something from scratch too :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been thinking about selling some lots on eBay to get rid of unused items and make a little money.. but I don't know. I'm a super procrastinator.

I've considered that, but I had such a crap experience the one time I sold something there. I sold a lot of old VS Pink sweatpants, and the girl who won them claimed that they never arrived because she had put in the wrong address. I dunno if she was actually telling the truth or not, since I didn't get delivery confirmation, and I didn't say anything about no refunds under any circumstances when I listed the auction. I ended up giving her money back because she threatened to give me crap feedback and report me. So, I'm probably going to start making little goodie bags of stuff to send to people once a month or something to help clear out my collection. I've got two big boxes headed to my mom and my best friend, lol. 

I've been thinking about selling some lots on eBay to get rid of unused items and make a little money.. but I don't know. I'm a super procrastinator.

Yeah, that's one of my concerns. Someone lying about not receiving a package and giving me negative feedback. I guess if I do it, I'll have to make sure to use delivery confirmation.

And make sure you say something on the auction page about no refunds! Gotta protect yourself from hoodlums and thieves on the interwebs. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Yeah, that's one of my concerns. Someone lying about not receiving a package and giving me negative feedback. I guess if I do it, I'll have to make sure to use delivery confirmation.

After work I went to Ross and bought a few summer scarves. My cousin called me "diseased" and told me I shop too much 
icon_cry.gif

Awww, that's mean! 
icon_cry.gif
 I hate it when people make condescending and judgmental remarks about the way others spend their money!

Originally Posted by aleeeshuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

After work I went to Ross and bought a few summer scarves. My cousin called me "diseased" and told me I shop too much 
icon_cry.gif

Seriously! Way to take away the fun of shopping. I heard a lot of similar comments from my mom, and I still do. She thinks I have too much makeup, and tells me all the time, even though I'm 23 and don't live at home anymore. What she doesn't know is that there is no such thing as too much makeup lol. 

Originally Posted by aleeeshuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i agree! now i know who NOT to go shopping with. my money my choice!

As I posted on Facebook earlier, it MIGHT be a bad sign when I walk into Nordstrom and the salesgirl greets me with "OOOOH, it's my best friend!" 

Then again, all the girls in the local thrifts know me by name.

But I did ok today: Went to two TJ MAXX, two Ulta, Target, Walmart, Nordstrom, Burlington, and Ross. I DID buy a pair of Betsey Johnson earrings, but wasn't even tempted by any of the beauty products in the stores.

As I posted on Facebook earlier, it MIGHT be a bad sign when I walk into Nordstrom and the salesgirl greets me with "OOOOH, it's my best friend!" 

But I did ok today: Went to two TJ MAXX, two Ulta, Target, Walmart, Nordstrom, Burlington, and Ross. I DID buy a pair of Betsey Johnson earrings, but wasn't even tempted by any of the beauty products in the stores.
Good job!

Originally Posted by calexxia /img/forum/go_quote.gif

lol I want to go shopping with you...those are all my fav stores hahaha, just add Macy's. 

Ditto! And Betsey Johnson is my FAVE.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops /img/forum/go_quote.gif

lol I want to go shopping with you...those are all my fav stores hahaha, just add Macy's. 

Hi, I'm new and started no-buy on April 1st with a fellow addict and friend. So far so good! It's April 17th and I haven't bought anything. I do have subs to BB and MG but I don't count that. Good luck everyone.

I successfully resisted the Cargo sale on Hautelook, even though there were some serious temptations there! I just reminded myself that if I really want stuff from the hey sailor collection, then I have to restrain myself for the next month. 

Latest posts

Back