Birchbox August 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I am new to this forum and have only been receiving subscription services for a few months now. I was really excited to try the BB and received Aug as my 1st month. I recv box #25.

But I didn't receive thebalm stainiac. I did receive a clear cap that appears to belong on a brow pencil, but NO pencil! lol   And a larabar which I will not eat.  This box is no where near what I expected even for a low price of $10.  I felt it was very skimpy especially since I didn't get the stainiac.  I did email them and it took 5 days to get a reply. They said they would mail a replacement stainiac and I emailed back expressing my disappointment in their box.  I will give this box 1 more month and then most likely I will be canceling if nothing changes.  There is no comparison for the quality and quantity you get with Sample Society vs this box. Even though it does cost $5 more I have never been disappointed even if I didn't like the items at least they were a deluxe sample size.

I agree, everyone is different and some people may love their boxes but I think it says a lot when the majority of your customers are not satisfied with their box and have to question if the contents are even valued at the $10 cost.  I would have used the razor so of course that was not one of my items! :) 

Here is the reply I received:

Audrey, Aug 28 11:12 am (EDT):

Hi Angela,

Thanks so much for being in touch and I'm so sorry to hear you were disappointed with your Birchbox delivery.

The idea behind our business is that you get to try an amazing array of products before you consider buying them. We always strive to send our members products that they'll love, but we are also happy to know we are fulfilling our goal of helping you navigate through the cluttered beauty world to suss out products. This is part of the inherent value of your $10 subscription.

With Birchbox you are also paying for a service. The value of your membership is that you don't have to navigate through the aisles, find the products you want to sample, and do all this while feeling pressured to purchase a full-size product. For the customers who do have a makeup counter nearby, we are thrilled to provide you with access to new and exciting brands that you won't find there.

Additionally, please don't forget about our Birchbox Points program. Every month by leaving feedback on your samples, you earn back 40-50 Birchbox points--which is half the cost of your monthly Birchbox. 100 Birchbox points is equal to $10 in our shop.

I hope my email assured you of the value of your purchase, the care that goes into selecting samples, and our appreciation of all of your feedback. As a new company we're always looking to grow and make improvements. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with further questions or concerns.

xo

Audrey
Birchbox | Operations Associate
230 Park Ave South, 12th Floor | New York, NY 10003
p. 877.487.7272

So essentially you got an empty box?! Wow. What's going on with Birchbox's warehouse lately?

Not a great way to welcome a new customer that's for sure
sadno.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I FINALLY got my hands on an eyeko liner thanks to the BB trade thread, and I just wanted to say that I love this eyeliner and I wish they would make one in brown. I am thinking about getting the purple one, but at the same time, I am not sure I would even use it. And I wont get the turquoise or the olive. I wish they had more colors!
I caved and bought one, I love it.  The application was flawless, and it stayed on my skin well. (I think that is a skin type issue with some people)  I got the purple and it is pretty subtle.  It's dark enough that I can use it like I would a black one, but is less harsh on my pale skin.

On the other hand, I HATED the Amika mask that I ordered after seeing everyone like it.  My hair felt brittle after using it (my routine is daily co-wash, biweekly clarify+deep condition, I used it as part of the latter)  I am a huge fan of the smell though.

I keep buying things I didn't get to sample, maybe that is their trick all along, ha.

Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I FINALLY got my hands on an eyeko liner thanks to the BB trade thread, and I just wanted to say that I love this eyeliner and I wish they would make one in brown. I am thinking about getting the purple one, but at the same time, I am not sure I would even use it. And I wont get the turquoise or the olive. I wish they had more colors!
I caved and bought one, I love it.  The application was flawless, and it stayed on my skin well. (I think that is a skin type issue with some people)  I got the purple and it is pretty subtle.  It's dark enough that I can use it like I would a black one, but is less harsh on my pale skin.

On the other hand, I HATED the Amika mask that I ordered after seeing everyone like it.  My hair felt brittle after using it (my routine is daily co-wash, biweekly clarify+deep condition, I used it as part of the latter)  I am a huge fan of the smell though.

I keep buying things I didn't get to sample, maybe that is their trick all along, ha.

Lol I had the same exact experience with both products. I loved the eyeko (omg I soo love that it doesnt budge AT ALL). I also purchased that Amika mask (last month) and hated it. It did nothing for my hair.

On the other hand, I got the KVG caviar shampoo and conditioner this month and I love that as well. KVG is up there with Kerastase for me. I like the Kerastase shampoo better than the KVG, but the KVG conditioner better than the Kerastase. KGV is about half the price of Kerastase, and I love that its just as good but at a more reasonable price.

So I contacted Birchbox for a missing item... over two weeks ago. They said they were sending it out and I have yet to receive it.

It's out of stock now in the shop. Is this normal? I'm getting frustrated.

I sent birchbox an email and I got the typical 'we're trying to give you variety' type of email. Uh...

Well, it's possible that my Glossybox will arrive before my August Birchbox.  This isn't BB's fault, it is definitely the USPS.  My box went on a round the world tour to California, then back to Florida (!!!), and it made its way back to Cali on the 18th...

But it hasn't moved since then and hasn't arrived yet.   :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

I contacted BB Support to see if or how they want to handle it.  It isn't their fault really...but bummer for moi.  Maybe it'll show up one day, and usually I've read they'll send a replacement - we'll see!

-L

Originally Posted by petitamour /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I contacted Birchbox for a missing item... over two weeks ago. They said they were sending it out and I have yet to receive it.

It's out of stock now in the shop. Is this normal? I'm getting frustrated.

I sent birchbox an email and I got the typical 'we're trying to give you variety' type of email. Uh...
I had a missing sample in my BB in August (the DF Brightening Cleanser).  I called them and let them know--I also told them of the three boxes I'd received that July was late so I've had problems with 2 of the 3 boxes.  They sent it out right away.

I found their phone associates more helpful than their email (which I used in July).

Aww, I am one of the folks that raved about the Amika mask. I actually used it this morning and my hair is incredibly soft and silky right now. I am sorry it didn't work out for you ladies. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Auntboo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aww, I am one of the folks that raved about the Amika mask. I actually used it this morning and my hair is incredibly soft and silky right now. I am sorry it didn't work out for you ladies.
frown.gif
It smells really really good, and it works well as a conditioner, but it's too expensive for every day use for me! Still looking for my HG mask!

It smells really really good, and it works well as a conditioner, but it's too expensive for every day use for me! Still looking for my HG mask!
Have you tried Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque? You can usually get a sample size at Ulta for around $4 and you can get 3 or 4 uses out of it. It usually lasts through a few washes for me too.

I tried out my razor on my arms so today I tried my legs (my very very sensitive legs). I thought it went okay (I even exfoliated/ used lots and lots of shaving cream), but tonight after taking off my pants I realized my legs are covered in a rash. Egads! It's bad bad bad! I put some Shaveworks cool fix on my legs so hopefully by tomorrow they'll be looking a lot better. I used the razor twice and that is generally my limit of usage for a razor, so I think I will trash it. It was just fine for my arms, but I don't think I'd spend money buying it just for that. My venus breeze works just as well on my arms, but also leaves my legs smooth and rash free.

Hello. No idea. I basically told them they need to do some quality control there and that not sending out products is unacceptable. After two months of missing samples in my box, I'm tired of being nice about it. Plus my missing sample this month was a full size Pixi item, not happy!

This morning, I tried the Leonor Greyl shampoo and mask.  It seemed to do a decent job, but the SMELL.  It's like old ladies' handbags--faded floral and old cigarettes.  Um, not for me.

My HG hair mask is actually Joico K-Pak Reconstructor--I just am broke and am trying to only spend using points.  People love or hate that one too--different strokes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My HG hair mask is actually Joico K-Pak Reconstructor--I just am broke and am trying to only spend using points.  People love or hate that one too--different strokes :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Ah, my hair hates protein for the most part so the Joico doesn't work for me at all. There is a ton of variation in hair types so I suppose that is why sample sizes are such a nice idea!

Just a heads up for anyone who liked their Miss Jessies stuff this month. On their website they are offering a coupon code that will take FIFTY percent off anything/everything PLUS free shipping. The coupon is for today only. It's school50

I thought I'd order mine from BB but I can't resist the sale plus free shipping!

Originally Posted by mallomar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just a heads up for anyone who liked their Miss Jessies stuff this month. On their website they are offering a coupon code that will take FIFTY percent off anything/everything PLUS free shipping. The coupon is for today only. It's school50

I thought I'd order mine from BB but I can't resist the sale plus free shipping!
It's a great deal! I got a shampoo, conditioner and the silkening cream. I already have Pillow Curls and love it!

BB support contacted me back about my MIA box.  I guess they are out of replacement boxes...boo!  So I'm hoping my box eventually appears.

All they offered was to comp my next box (Sept).  I'm not sure how that'll work since I'm an annual subscriber - I'll have to make sure my subscription goes an extra month I guess?  I think I would have preferred some points...

-L

Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know you probably wanted to use your point for those glosses, but if you are super desperate, you can get them at Bath & Body Works. They are my favorite glosses ever. You probably already knew you could get them at B&BW, but I thought I'd offer the information just in case. Hope you get this issue sorted out; it's really weird how inconsistent they are... do they not have any official policies in place, or are the people managing them just not following policy correctly? Either way, it's happening so often... I hope they get their stuff together!

Yeah, I specifically wanted to use my points for these.  But I went to B&BW today (buy 2 get 1, plus i had a 20% off coupon on the B&BW iPhone app, and as a side note, the clerk had no clue about that app and thought it was a Groupon, but the code worked, and that's all she really cared about) and bought a bunch of glosses anyway -- including the Mentha Supreme but not the lemon one -- because my not-so-inner magpie is on a sparkly lip gloss kick, and she fell in love with the Lip Diamonds glosses yesterday when I went with a coworker to get her sister-in-law's birthday present.  I wanted to get a Halloween gloss, too, but I wasn't in love with any of those, so I just stuck with the non-seasonal ones.  Six glosses for $25.60.  Not too bad for enough sparkle and shine to last at least a year.  I've still got a limeade Liplicious (more sparkles!) that I must have bought at least five years ago that I've barely made a dent in, although it's usually hiding in purses unknown, which makes using it a tad difficult.  

And Birchbox only refunded $2.50, so I need to get that WTF email sent to them tomorrow (I was absolutely *slammed* at work today and barely got a chance to look at my work-related email other than the stuff directly related to what I was doing, but tomorrow's workload will be about an eighth of today's).  I'm just cranky about it because, dude, why did they deduct points int he first place, and where did they come up with 30 points?  And, again, they did something completely different on an account that had almost the exact same thing going on.  So weird.

Latest posts

Back