Birchbox August 2014 - Spoilers!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so excited about these options! I'll go with the eyeshadow on my main account because I'm a sucker for cream eyeshadows. If I decide to resub my second account (which means I would have to get a July box and an August box so I can use the points codes that are out right now), I will get the Stainiac. I originally planned on the bronzer, but I have two full size bronzers in my stash, and I don't care for the shimmer. I have a half-empty Stainiac sample that I used today, and I realized that I love it and would like a backup.

Not too thrilled with the options this month. I'm not into shimmery bronzers as I only use them to contour so I need a matte or almost-matte for it to work well. Also I'm super pale and proud of it! ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I suppose I'll choose the eye shadow because I'm drowning in black liner and already have the stainiac. I don't really use cream shadows but maybe it won't crease (one can dream!) and I can wear it when I need to get ready quickly.

I canceled one of my 3 boxes because I was so disappointed with the "choose your sample" stuff from last month. All 3 of my boxes were missing nail polishes that I chose, and they said they would send them to me, and they only sent me one. Just feel sampled-out with Birchbox lately, which I guess can happen quickly when you have 3 boxes lol

I really really want to try the LG eyeshadow. It looks like the perfect color.

I have way too much eyeliner, most bronzers are too dark for me, and Staniac in Beauty Queen is oddly unflattering on me. I know they said it flatters everyone, so I must be no one. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

BTW, I have read that Mindy Kaling book, and it is pretty funny, although not always in a laugh out loud kind of way, more of a thoughtful funny. I thought it was better than Tina Fey's book. Fey's book was very LOL funny, but IMO got a little too political for my taste. Both are worth the read.

Not really excited for any of these products.  Maybe there will be the "surprise me" option again. 

I liked last months options so much more.
This month's options are a total snoozefest, imo. I may skip the email altogether and let the chips fall where they may.

I kind of wish that instead of all make up products they had thrown a skin or hair care product in there to choose from!
I would have much preferred my choice of skin or hair products over these options! There have been so many products that I would love to try but never get sent.

I kind of wish that instead of all make up products they had thrown a skin or hair care product in there to choose from!
Who knows maybe that'll be the next PYS??

I really like this system... but I can see it getting old pretty quick if they do it every month. Maybe they're using us as a test study to perfect the logistics/ etc and then cool it down to a couple times a year, for example about as often as they do LE boxes.

Personally, I prefer PYS over monthly add-ons. unless they knocked the prices down quite a bit more, then I might be torn... ha ha

I am going to try to game the system with my 2 accounts and try to figure out which PYS will get me the best other samples.  I really would love the purple laqua, but am not sure that will still be sampled.  One of my accounts is a classic 20-something, the other is an adventurous, trendy 30-something.  I'll probably pick the staniac for the 20 something and the cream eyeshadow for the 30 something.

So I'm curious - say you already received Staniac and loved it, would their system allow you to pick the sample of it?
I was wondering the same thing.  HOWEVER, if someone decided to pick it to see if they could get points for a repeat - they can always say, "Tough cookies kiddo - you picked it."

What is the best way to apply cream shadow so it actually stays on and doesn't crease?  That has always been my biggest problem.  Part of me is curious now about the shadow.

Last edited by a moderator:
@@Kimb3rly Yes! I would be totally okay with the Mindy Kaling book in my Birchbox.
Great book. Seems strange it's their book club book though considering how long ago it came out.

Regarding the PYS... Still torn on if I will choose a second item or not. I'm definitely going to try for the eyeshadow.

Someone mention it's watched really bright - I believe they mentioned it's build able and probably used a lot to show how intense it can get.

Not sure yet what I am going to choose, but so happy they are allowing us to choose again!  I do not wear eye shadow, so maybe I will try the other three--thank goodness we have time to decide!  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Assuming I catch the emails while I'm travelling, I'm going to try for the cream shadow on my yearly sub, and the Staniac on my new sub.  Cheek/lip stains are the one thing I wear practically every day, so I don't mind building up a stock of them.  Cream shadows, especially with shimmer, I just like :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm not interested in any of the choose your own samples so I think I'll cancel again.  Love staniac but I already have 2 of those samples and a full size, plus they last a LONG time.  I use it several times a week and it's still like 1/2 full.  I wish we could choose another Ruffian lol.

Latest posts

Back