Birchbox August 2014 - Spoilers!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I will get the cream eyeshadow - it looks to be a nice taupey-shimmer shade that I would wear.
I think that's what I'm going to go with too. It seems like the lesser of the evils as far as usefulness. I mostly just want to ensure that I won't get the bronzer.

I'm not really interested in any of these choices. I like the Stainiac, but I've sampled that before through Birchbox and would kind of prefer to try something different.

I bought that CS palette w/ the brushes.. I LOVE it! I'm pretty fair so I like the option to blend the darker bronze shades with the lighter "highlighting: shades to custom my own. Some days I just want a little, sometimes I want a more dramatic look! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Great choice!

Even still... I'm torn between the bronzer and the eyeshadow... taupe-y silver is my main color!
Thanks!  It's good to know that it is a good palette.  I love their brushes too.

So, if you do a 'surprise me', you don't get one of the 4 choices, just something else that fits your profile? I guess I'll go for that.

I'm bummed. I got a Stainiac sample sometime in the fall/winter, and hated it.  I was so excited to get it and really wanted to like it, but it irritated the heck out of my lips and made them look all cracked and creased. Didn't show up on my cheeks at all.  Turned me off stains completely.  

I don't use bronzer or eyeliner pencils, and the glittery silver eyeshadow just isn't my taste.   Though I really love cream eyeshadows, I would have been happy if it was matte, or at least a neutral.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, I only have 1 active account right now...Debating if I reopen another one or not. I want the bronzer (I've been a bronzer junkie lately) & the cream eyeshadow. I could also get on board for the lipstain too....

That's fair - at least you kind of want the eyeshadow. I think I'm just irritated because by the time I got to pick for July there was only one choice, and it wasn't my top choice, and I kept seeing posts here and elsewhere on the web saying things like, "I picked four Ambrosia but I think it's really ugly and don't want any of them. I hope it trades well."

For what's it worth, I think that most (but not all) people who didn't pick (including myself - I was only able to pick on one account) ended up with a box with neither the lip stain nor the polish.

I think my point is if you have a preference, even if it is only slight, and want to pick then go for it, but picking is not a requirement, and Birchbox will not send you a "punishment box" just because you didn't pick.
 YES, I was kind of annoyed when I saw those posts, too - when I was able to pick (I work until 6 most every day, and not an an office or someplace I can do that online for the most part) all that was left was Relic. I really wanted Ambrosia or a lip stain!

Relic ended up being pretty, but this month there's only one thing I even KIND of want, so if that's gone when I go to pick, I will be picking "Surprise me" and hoping that I don't get a bronzer or black liner or stainiac.

So, if you do a 'surprise me', you don't get one of the 4 choices, just something else that fits your profile? I guess I'll go for that.

I'm bummed. I got a Stainiac sample sometime in the fall/winter, and hated it.  I was so excited to get it and really wanted to like it, but it irritated the heck out of my lips and made them look all cracked and creased. Didn't show up on my cheeks at all.  Turned me off stains completely.  

I don't use bronzer or eyeliner pencils, and the glittery silver eyeshadow just isn't my taste.   Though I really love cream eyeshadows, I would have been happy if it was matte, or at least a neutral.
I think there's still a CHANCE you could get one of those 4 products...it seems like it just means they'll choose a box for you like they normally do (be it "profile matching" or what I suspect they actually do, which is mostly random choosing). The box you get might have one of those things in it, or it might not.

So excited for the sample pick-your-own choices this month. I'm definitely going with staniac on one account and the eyeshadow on the other.

The products are mostly meh to me but I do love bronzers so I will go with that one.  Also I've loved all the Model Co products I've received in the past, still rocking my party proof lipsticks 

I think I'm going to ignore the pick a sample e-mail for August and see what happens.  I have enough black eyeliners, Stainiac is so not worth it, the eyeshadow is the only thing I might want, and the other sample was so boring that I already forgot what it is.  

ETA: Bronzer.  Duh.  I'm an airhead.  I don't use bronzer, either, so it's not exciting for me.

I'm not sure if I'll pick one of the four.  I have a stainiac and tons of eyeliner.  Also thanks to my FGM I have bronzers and all the eyeshadow a gal could want.  I might roll the dice with "surprise me" if that's an option.  

Here's the wordage from last month's PYS on choosing "Surprise Me":

By selecting “Surprise Me” you'll let your Beauty Profile do the talking, which means we'll find something customized to your liking. (Don’t worry: You’ll still receive your usual four to five samples—they just may not include this particular product.)

I did the mystery sample last month and I got this box, I have no idea what was my mystery sample is/was

image.jpg

I'm debating on whether I want to do the shadow or surprise me.  It's mostly because I *don't* want any of the other choices and would be super disappointed to see a box with them (though I wouldn't get the staniac because I've already received - and hated- it, so at least there's that.)  

...eh, kind of disappointed.

I want that bronzer!!!

I just broke down and got an elf studio stipple brush after hearing all the hype on YouTube. I want to use it!!

But now I think I need to break down and get the blush brush that emilynoel83 says is awesome. Hope hubby can understand....haha.

Regarding the video:  More black eyeliner.  Woop.  The Stainiac is ok, but I already have the full size and atleast a dozen Benetints.  I was excited about the cream shadow until it swatched as an almost disco silver.  Then there's the bronzer.  I was like, "YES!" until she said shimmer.  I am Debbie Downer about this.  I am glad they're letting us pick again though.  I hope they continue to do that.

Edited to say:   I wish they'd just send me the Mindy Kaling book.  I love her!

Back