Birchbox August 2014 - Spoilers!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh.  I hate and refuse to use black eyeliner, bronzer just makes me look dirty, and I received Stainiac that month when *everyone* received it.  I liked it, but I always want something *new*.  I'm going to try for the eyeshadow.  Maybe on all three accounts (I don't have a cancel button on my two monthly accounts, so I think I might have pre-paid August on those two when I wasn't paying attention), just to increase the chance that I'll actually receive it.  It looks like it would be good under pigments, and that's pretty much all I wear shadow-wise.

I love Mollie's nail polish, though.  Too bad that's not an option.
I was thinking that about Mollie's top.  =)  I think it's so cute!

I got Staniac in the first box I tried several years ago.  Didn't care for it.  I have too much bronzer, and am also in the no-black-eyeliner camp.  I'd either get the eyeshadow or surprise me - not sure which yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. Yeah, not too excited. I don't use bronzer (and I have two that I already never use), don't need another black liner, and I have a full sized Staniac. I guess I'll try for the shadow!

And I think this is a big part of why I'm not digging it. They're staples, and I'm full up on staples.

The thing is that I *really* don't want black eyeliner or bronzer. I feel like picking the one I'm least meh on is the lesser of the four evils. Getting the shadow in all three boxes will make me less angry than getting bronzer and/or eyeliner. I didn't pick on one of my July accounts because I didn't want lipstain (I already had both shades) or polish on that one (and by the time I found out that there was a "surprise me" option, all options were sold out, so I didn't even have that option to begin with), and I ended up with lipstain.
That's fair - at least you kind of want the eyeshadow. I think I'm just irritated because by the time I got to pick for July there was only one choice, and it wasn't my top choice, and I kept seeing posts here and elsewhere on the web saying things like, "I picked four Ambrosia but I think it's really ugly and don't want any of them. I hope it trades well."

For what's it worth, I think that most (but not all) people who didn't pick (including myself - I was only able to pick on one account) ended up with a box with neither the lip stain nor the polish.

I think my point is if you have a preference, even if it is only slight, and want to pick then go for it, but picking is not a requirement, and Birchbox will not send you a "punishment box" just because you didn't pick.

Did anyone do the surprise item? What was it? I was afraid of that option because I had no idea what it could be, more of something I really didn't need? People were posting they thought it would be left overs from previous boxes, so i was leery. I think I will go with the eyeshadow this time. Hopefully I get the email...I never got the one for the ad ons.

Staniac for me! I got it in my first ever Birchbox and really enjoyed it so I'm definitely down to get another one without having to buy the full size. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Since I have three accounts, will probably get staniac, eyeshadow, and eyeliner. I have no use for bronzers. XD

I guess it's eyeshadow for me, I have way to many eyeliners, I just got a bronzer with ipsy this month, and I hardly ever use lip tint, I have several samples I can use right now, no need for another.

And I think this is a big part of why I'm not digging it.  They're staples, and I'm full up on staples. 
This is true. I think I'm having such a hard time deciding because I already have my holy grail blushes/stain (not to mention I have have several samples of stainiac), black eyeliner, and bronzer. The only thing I don't have a holy grail of is the cream eye shadow. But I don't use them very often. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought last month's "surprise me" option actually meant you would get a normal BB without any of the "pick your sample" options? I could be wrong, but I thought I read a few posts when people were frustrated for not recieving ANY of the "PYO" options when they chose "surprise me". Or maybe it was a "you MAY or MAY NOT" thing..
I'm not sure they fully clarified that.  Fingers crossed that they do in fact have a surprise-me-with-none-of-the-above option!  Either way, by the time I was able to get to my account that ended up with the lipstain, everything had sold out, so the option to say surprise me wasn't even available.  I was actually *happy* at that because I thought it meant I wouldn't get the polish or stain, and that was my preference:  None of the above.  I was seriously bummed when that didn't happen.  I *did* get a box with no stain or polish on the account that was specifically confirmed (to receive Rosary) by CS, though.  Of course.

In utterly unrelated news, RIP, James Garner. 

Did anyone do the surprise item? What was it? I was afraid of that option because I had no idea what it could be, more of something I really didn't need? People were posting they thought it would be left overs from previous boxes, so i was leery. I think I will go with the eyeshadow this time. Hopefully I get the email...I never got the one for the ad ons.
I think the surprise me option was that they would just assign you a box based on your profile - if your profile matched you with a polish or lip stain you would get one, but otherwise you would just receive other items.

Last month I didn't see my email in time, so I didn't get to pick & I got neither the stain nor the polish! I'm stalking my email already, even though it was the 25th last month from what I read around here. I donotwant 3/4 of the options for August, I'm a cream shadow lover & layerer (am I making up words? sorry) so I'm stoked for the Laura Geller.

hmm...I don't need bronzer. I have a full size too faced chocolate one, plus a mini nars in Laguna. Black eyeliner - nope. Stainaic - no way, I don't do those. the cream eyeshadow might be nice, but if it is only in silver, I will pass on that one, I think.

I would need to look at a swatch or something first.

hmm...I don't need bronzer. I have a full size too faced chocolate one, plus a mini nars in Laguna. Black eyeliner - nope. Stainaic - no way, I don't do those. the cream eyeshadow might be nice, but if it is only in silver, I will pass on that one, I think.

I would need to look at a swatch or something first.
They swatched the silver cream shadow in the video!

I'm actually excited about this. The only one of those 4 that I already have is the Laura Geller liquid eye shadow because it was in my first Blush Mystery Box a few months ago in the same color. I'll definitely do Stainiac on one account since I'm always happy to try more stuff from The Balm and I'm happy to try the Noir eyeliner and ModelCo bronzer since I don't have HGs for either of those so I'll do that on my other 2 accounts and that way I'll be guaranteed 3 different boxes.

I'll wait for more spoilers before I decide if I should resub with a 4th account. The 3 month gift sub I used for the Kate Spade necklace I never got just ended so that one hasn't been renewed or anything. But usually once the boxes load, that pushes me to get another account lol.

I think I will get the cream eyeshadow - it looks to be a nice taupey-shimmer shade that I would wear.

I'm not totally jazzed about any of these, but I do like cream/liqud shadow and haven't tried anything from Laura Geller, so I think I'm going with that.  

I've never actually tried the balm stainmatic (wasn't subbed when BB sent it out) so I'm excited to try that. Now hopefully there are no mixups with the PYS since I unsubbed/resubbed with code this month.

Back