Birchbox - February 2012 boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely still love BB. There are some hits and some misses. But that is expected, you are subscribing to try out a range of products, you aren't expected to love everything you get. That's what the trade boards are for :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've found some new products that I dont understand how I lived without. I'd have never tried them if they weren't sent to me. Even if I had the option at sephora to get them as samples, I'd have probably chosen something else.

I constantly am getting compliments on my makeup and skin and I owe it all to birchbox. I feel like I went from an idiot at makeup and skincare to somewhat knowledgeable. As long as I can afford birchbox I'll be sticking around. 

Yeah it sucks I wont be getting a pink box or a few coupon codes, but their reward system is already massively generous! And with the pink box, there are some boxes that are for everyone that have almost all the same products in them. I received one recently, it just had one less sample is all. 

The thing is, it's a sample service.  Even among similar profiles, people like different things and hate different things, and it's not possible for every box to be a hit for every person.  I've had boxes I've disliked, boxes I've loved, and boxes in between.  That's part of the fun of it.  If you feel that strongly, you'd probably be better suited for Beauty Army or Beautyfix where you get to choose your own samples.

Everyone was given the option to choose between the teen vogue box and the regular.  At least you were given the option to choose...if they hadn't offered the Teen Vogue boxes to everyone, people would have been griping about that.  

The Vichy boxes were offered to people who fit a certain profile in January.  It has nothing to do with being a yearly subscriber - I am a monthly subscriber.  The only difference between the yearly and the monthly is that the yearly members apparently get a pink box on their 13th month.

Originally Posted by mexigrl64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've got to say that after my first box I feel like cancelling.  My box had a perfume sample, a travel puff with a little bit of mineral makeup, some ridiculous eyeliner tattoos - pretty much crap.  This is nothing like I expected.  Now I get an email asking it I want a Teen box??  I'm 47, have aging skin as an issue and face cream as my luxury pick.  What screams "teen" about that?  After this month I'm scared of getting tattoo face art and other such useless stuff again.  However, I'm equally afraid that my March box could suck as much as my Feb box did.  This is certainly not the way to start off with a new customer.  I also am not getting the VIchy box which I really would have appreciated.  It feels like my options are cancel or join for a year - is it correct that the yearly members are treated better?

Thanks!

Totally and sometimes even brands you would have never ever checked out!

Like the dermalogica, I would have never checked that out but I wanted it so bad in my box (didn't get it) but found someone who is willing to trade. Never in a million years would I have thought to get something like that as I don't have problematic skin!

Originally Posted by snllama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I absolutely still love BB. There are some hits and some misses. But that is expected, you are subscribing to try out a range of products, you aren't expected to love everything you get. That's what the trade boards are for :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've found some new products that I dont understand how I lived without. I'd have never tried them if they weren't sent to me. Even if I had the option at sephora to get them as samples, I'd have probably chosen something else.

I constantly am getting compliments on my makeup and skin and I owe it all to birchbox. I feel like I went from an idiot at makeup and skincare to somewhat knowledgeable. As long as I can afford birchbox I'll be sticking around. 

Yeah it sucks I wont be getting a pink box or a few coupon codes, but their reward system is already massively generous! And with the pink box, there are some boxes that are for everyone that have almost all the same products in them. I received one recently, it just had one less sample is all. 

Originally Posted by glamourdolleyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Totally and sometimes even brands you would have never ever checked out!

Like the dermalogica, I would have never checked that out but I wanted it so bad in my box (didn't get it) but found someone who is willing to trade. Never in a million years would I have thought to get something like that as I don't have problematic skin!

I too got the dermalogica. I've never tried out the company, but have wanted to try them out for years and years. I had a friend from Europe that would spend 100-200 every time she came to visit on her dermalogica products. I already bought the full-sized microfoliant! But I'd never have actually splurged without trying it!

Oh bb, you may be an unhealthy addiction, but a good one!

Let us know what they say. I have an email in too, interested to see if the information will be the same from the emails and the phone calls.

I just spoke to someone. Check out the thread on Teen Vogue + Birchbox. I posted what they told me there. Basically, she said if you used the link to make a 2nd account(for the TV box) and then opted out on your main account you SHOULD be getting both, they cant make gaurentees but she said they felt certain I'd get both boxes.

Originally Posted by Jwls750 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just spoke to someone. Check out the thread on Teen Vogue + Birchbox. I posted what they told me there. Basically, she said if you used the link to make a 2nd account(for the TV box) and then opted out on your main account you SHOULD be getting both, they cant make gaurentees but she said they felt certain I'd get both boxes.

Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Hopefully they'll get it right then. 

I didn't tell her I had a second account, just that I signed up for the tv box and she opted me in but also said its not guarenteed. Hopefully we all get it if we wanted it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I'm a monthly subscriber and I got the Vichy box.  My profile lists anti-aging and dry, so I fit the profile demographic they were looking at for these lifting, firming, moisture rich products.  If they ever offer a free box aimed at oily, combo, or younger skin, I doubt I'd be invited to get that one.

It does seem unfair that only the yearly subscribers get the pink box after a year because ANYONE who stays for a year is a valued client, imo.  Especially since we monthly subbers could cancel at any time.  We should be rewarded for staying with them.  But this is certainly not a deal-breaker for me. I'll be getting my 5th box in March, and despite my dud (for me) Feb box, I have really enjoyed BB so far.

I did get my 3 month coupon, which I promptly used.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Anyone who didn't get their "anniversary" promo codes should definitely contact CS and request theirs.

Originally Posted by pinktergal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm a monthly subscriber and I got the Vichy box.  My profile lists anti-aging and dry, so I fit the profile demographic they were looking at for these lifting, firming, moisture rich products.  If they ever offer a free box aimed at oily, combo, or younger skin, I doubt I'd be invited to get that one.

It does seem unfair that only the yearly subscribers get the pink box after a year because ANYONE who stays for a year is a valued client, imo.  Especially since we monthly subbers could cancel at any time.  We should be rewarded for staying with them.  But this is certainly not a deal-breaker for me. I'll be getting my 5th box in March, and despite my dud (for me) Feb box, I have really enjoyed BB so far.

I did get my 3 month coupon, which I promptly used.  :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Anyone who didn't get their "anniversary" promo codes should definitely contact CS and request theirs.
How much is the 3 month coupon?  Can you use it in conjunction with BB points?

Originally Posted by pinktergal /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I completely agree! Those who stay month-to-month are paying far more than yearly subscribers so it would be nice for Birchbox to treat month-to-month members who stay a year with a special box.

The thing about month to month subscribers, though, is that they aren't committing. I totally understand from a business point of view. When you pay for a full year you're saying "I absolutley 100% for sure am going to be a subscriber for this whole year, no matter how many shitty boxes I get". When you pay month to month, you're giving yourself the option to opt out at any given time.

Originally Posted by BrittneyMarie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The thing about month to month subscribers, though, is that they aren't committing. I totally understand from a business point of view. When you pay for a full year you're saying "I absolutley 100% for sure am going to be a subscriber for this whole year, no matter how many shitty boxes I get". When you pay month to month, you're giving yourself the option to opt out at any given time.

I understand your point, however, if you don't opt out and you are still a customer at the 3, 6, or 12 month mark you are no different than that customer who has paid upfront and should be treated no differently.

Originally Posted by GinaM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I understand your point, however, if you don't opt out and you are still a customer at the 3, 6, or 12 month mark you are no different than that customer who has paid upfront and should be treated no differently.
I think that this is similar to saying that yearly subscribers shouldn't save $10. The pink box is a bonus for yearly subscribers. Could they have done a better job at communicating this? Absolutely. But it's just a pink box. It's not even any better than the other ones most of the time.

What happens if I switch over from a monthly subscription to a yearly one, after say 3 or 4 months of the month by month basis?  When would I receive the coveted "pink box", on my 13th month total or my 13th month after purchasing the year?

I was supposed to get December's box and didn't, got January's and was very pleased and now I'm happy with my February box as well.  Boxes, I should say, as I'm one of the ones who has multiple subscriptions.  It ensures (hopefully! I'm only two months into the two box system, with an extra box for a friend that I bring back home to her when I visit the States as well) that I have a better chance of getting what I want, and in the case of doubles I'm putting aside some things for treats for friends here or maybe use some things for a trade if I can and if it's something that I absolutely fell in love with, well, two is better than one anyway and I get a better chance to really try it out.  I live outside of the country but visit the U.S. for a few days every two months and pick up all of my packages then. 

I'm one of the minority that was looking forward to getting both the Violent Lips and the Eye Rock eyeliners.  Now that I've seen the liners in tutorials, I'm not as excited, they're a bit crazy, but isn't that what Birchbox is for, trying new things, maybe things that we wouldn't personally try otherwise?  I can't wait to actually see the Violent Lips, as my preview for the box doesn't say which pattern I received, just that they're the Violent Lips regular lip tattoos and not the glitter ones.  I bought a set of the glitter ones when they were on sale at Sephora (still are actually) for $7.  I still haven't worn them, not sure where I will, a party, perhaps? but they seemed fun and I needed a bit more on my order to push it over the $50 minimum for free shipping.  I ended up with the Beauty Blender, Dermalogica, Violent Lips, two of the bronzer puffs, two sets of Eye Rock Liners, Orofluido, two Jouer tiny tinted moisturizers, a gloss in Birchbox pink and those fashion tapes along with a Viva La Juicy perfume sample.  February's intro box was a mish mash of past things since it was my first box in that subscription, so I feel like I got a taste of December's box anyway, lol.

I loved the Clark's Botanicals Marine Cream in January's box, although I was a bit disappointed when I first saw it because it's not flashy like nail polish or eyeliner, but it's really a great product.  I think I've taught myself not to judge a box by first impressions, because although I was disappointed, it ended up being one of my favorites.

If anyone would like to put together things from their boxes that they didn't particularly like and name a price, I'd be more apt to do that than trade because of my limited time when I'm in the U.S. I could pay with Paypal into your account.  I'm sure there are some of our younger Birchboxers who got the Marine Cream and the FIX Malibu and things like that who would rather have a bit more cash to go and buy what they really want rather than having it just sit there.  Is that okay to post?

Sorry for the long, rambling post for my first one!  I meant for it to be a bit of an introduction.  My name is Jill and I live on a small island in Central America.  I'm American but am a resident here and will soon have dual American/Belizean citizenship.  I'm in my 30's but am mistaken for younger and am just starting on using the wrinkle creams so I can stay as smooth as possible for as long as possible, hard to do in such a sunny country!  Now if we could just find someone in the U.K. who could keep our GlossyBoxes for us and send them over in a bigger package every 6 months or so . . . :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Can you tell I've been bitten by the sample box bug?  I'd take GlossyBoxes from anywhere, even India as another poster had mentioned.  Wouldn't that be fun?

Thanks, Zadiodoll, for being our resident Nancy Drew and sleuthing out the contents of the boxes.  I know it must be a lot of work and I really appreciate all you do.  It's so fun.  I love the anticipation, the comparisons, the fun camaraderie and the helpful tips and topics on these boards.  Cheers, everyone!

I opened a second BB account using a BB gift sub that I got for my birthday
biggrin.gif
 So i opted out of the TV box on my original account, since the e-mail I got from BB for the new account says that the march BB I will get will be the TV box. Hopefully I will get one regular box now and one TV box. I made the beauty profile on my new account the opposite of my original account, that way I should get two different boxes each month.

Originally Posted by SmokeyEye22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow, I'm a monthly subscriber too and was looking forward to my 'pink box' when it hit my year. The fact that they only give it to yearly subscribers is not right in my opinion because we stuck around for a year just like them only with the option to cancel and we did not. In my opinion that makes us a little more loyal for sticking around even when the boxes weren't to our liking.

WORD. I propose that we get 100 bonus points once we hit the year mark. I know if you sign up for the yearly membership you get 110 points right away right? I say, if we stick around for a whole year with the monthly membership, despite having the ability to cancel anytime, we should be awarded at the close of the year with 100 bonus points. I don't even think that's unreasonable!

I have been a member since February 2011 and I too thought I was getting a pretty pink box (which we have talked about this a few times already in this thread so I won't go on about that) and I wish the information on the website was a little clearer, as well as the communication I had with a BB employee that made me think I was getting one.

Also, being a member since then, I have never received a special coupon code for 3 months, 6 months, 12 months. I get emails from BB on a regular basis, however, none have contained a special something for being a loyal subscriber, nor have I ever been invited to a "special box" (which is fine because I think they have only had one?).

To mexigrl64:

There are a lot of "misses" with BB, but there are also a lot of hits. It isn't for everyone and you're not going to win them all but I feel like the hits definitely outweigh the misses. Just hang in there, you will love the good boxes!!

I was on a gift membership and then I switched to monthly. At 3 months and at 6 months I got an anniversary code from Birchbox. I've utilized them both times and if you spend $50 you get free shipping so that along with your points usually get a pretty good deal. I would DEFINITELY contact Birchbox and request that they fix this for you. In my opinion, this is most definitely one of the reasons why I stick with Birchbox! It's rare you get discounts on cosmetic/skincare items you know? I will definitely be looking out for another code at my 9 month mark! Does anyone know if they continue the anniversary codes past the 1st year?

Originally Posted by oOliveColored /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the Vinchy box was selected based on the answers in your profile questions. Everything in the box is geared towards sensitive, anti-aging, and moisturizing skincare. If you have oily/combo/normal skin types there is nothing in the box you would want to use on your skin.

I did have anti-aging selected but I have combination skin and I was still selected... Ugh, I feel so sad for the people that didn't get it because I would have been SOOO bummed/pissed.

Originally Posted by GinaM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How much is the 3 month coupon?  Can you use it in conjunction with BB points?

My 3 month and 6 month anniversary codes were for 20% off each. You can also get free shipping on orders over $50 and use your points so it's TOTALLY worth it!

Originally Posted by DangimMEAN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My 3 month and 6 month anniversary codes were for 20% off each. You can also get free shipping on orders over $50 and use your points so it's TOTALLY worth it!

Yeah I had a 6mos gift and I got both of my 3 and 6 month coupon, but I didnt use them and wanted to wait until I had more points. Although, now Im wishing I did buy two full-sized items this week.

Latest posts

Back