Birchbox - January 2012 boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the same box and was equally unimpressed. Birchbox has been disappointing me. I think I'll go in and change up some of the answers in my beauty profile and see if it helps any. 

Originally Posted by BreAnnNicole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got my box and even though I wasn't "cancel-the-service-disappointed" this was my least favorite box to date! I got:

-the Larabar (in coconut cream pie...I won't even try it bc I HATE coconut, but I do love health bars so I'm a little sad I got such a gross flavor, and in general getting food/drink product in my monthly box makes it seem less worth the $10 to me)

-Bourghese moisturizer (which I was happy with bc my secret santa got me the Bourghese mud mask so now I can use them together but the sample was a tad too small for me to consider "deluxe")

- Juicy Couture Viva La Juicy perfume sample (meh!)

- Stila Eyeliner in Peacock (got the color I would've most wanted, but like everyone else's mine broke :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> huge bummer! esp. considering this was the only thing I was actually excited about)

- Jouer Body Butter (smells nice, but there's not really enough product in the sample to try out as a "body" butter. I guess it'll be enough for one time use on my elbows and knees..?)

- Birchbox magnet (did everyone get one?)

SO unimpressed this month, but thats one bad box out of four. I'd say that's fair so we'll see how it goes...

I'm so glad I found this group. This is my first post. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

This will be my 4th Birchbox. Not sure what # I'm getting but it's this one.

I have to say I have not been super happy. 3 out of the 4 boxes I have gotten a food/drink something and the eyeliner this month will make only my 3rd actual makeup item. Out of 20 something samples so far, I was hoping a few more would be makeup. I also noticed today while looking at my history (I just figured out how to see it today) that last month I was supposed to recieve the Oscar Blandi dry shampoo but it wasn't in my box. I emailed Birchbox so we will see what they have to say. Before I signed up in October, I watched tons of videos to see what kind of stuff people were getting and it seems like they were getting such awesome items. I'm kinda sad so I went and signed up for myglam too. Lol. Maybe getting both will make me feel a little better. Ha!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

For people that want to try and get the lava bars.  I have not looked, but i was thinking, check you local gas stations, or even 7-11s some times they will have things no one else will.  I am in a small town and sometimes I have to go there to get things I want.  I hope this helps.  Also, if you have a Fred Myeres check there.  Mine has a health food location within it, so sometimes I can find things that I like there.  If you have a sporting good shop, they may have them. If not ask if they know where to find them.  

I hope this helps.  I have not gotten my box yet to try them. So i dont know if i will.  I liked the Kind bars and have those when I go on long car trips or just out and about.   

My box finally came in yesterday.  The FIX Malibu serum goes on smoothly with a light finish and smells good.  Lets see if it does it's magic.  I am going to try the Algenist cream today.  I tried a bit on my hand and I can tell a difference where I put it at.  The Zoya nail polish went on pretty smooth with one coat.  (but i think I fell in love with my other nail polish I received from Julep).  And I use to wear Juicy Couture before so I am enjoying my sample.  As far as the witchcraft granola.... its a pretty small sample, barely enough to top a yoplait yogurt.  I'll think about trying it but its appearance isn't very appealing to me.  Overall I am not too impressed with the boxes I have received from Birchbox.  The only thing that I really use from my first box in december is the POREfessional and I love it.  Oh and the ageless perfume.  I was hoping for makeup in my January box this time but got two creams, nail polish, perfume, and a snack.  Debating whether to stay with them... February's box is going to be a "make it" or "break it" for Birchbox.  

Received my Birchbox on Friday. I was excited until I saw pieces of glass in the box. The perfume sample bit the dust as did my Zoya  in Kendal. Don't care to much about the perfume since I only wear two kinds but I really wanted the Zoya. I have Kristen and Kennedy from the Feel Collection and Kendal was the last one that I wanted. When I saw what it was I got excited until the smell of perfume and nail polish made me gag.

Oh, I got box 5.  It contained: Fix Malibu Serum, Algenist Firming Cream, Witchcraft granola, the Juicy sample that bit the dust and my Zoya that bit the dust. Not to excited about this one since the FIX serum seems to be a waste to me since I don't wear foundation and need nothing "smoothed". I tried the Algenist Cream and already have acne brewing under the surface of my chin (yippee). The witchcraft granola had to be thrown out because it was soaked in polish and perfume.  I emailed Birchbox in hopes I can get a credit or points or something.

Disappointed but hopefully I get another Zoya or something.

I got the same box. The one thing I noticed about the Zoya was how they described it. Kendal is not a periwinkle cream. It's more of a rose quartz. Kristen is more of a periwinkle blue. Ive already started breaking out from the Algenist. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone else does.

Originally Posted by monica75052 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My box finally came in yesterday.  The FIX Malibu serum goes on smoothly with a light finish and smells good.  Lets see if it does it's magic.  I am going to try the Algenist cream today.  I tried a bit on my hand and I can tell a difference where I put it at.  The Zoya nail polish went on pretty smooth with one coat.  (but i think I fell in love with my other nail polish I received from Julep).  And I use to wear Juicy Couture before so I am enjoying my sample.  As far as the witchcraft granola.... its a pretty small sample, barely enough to top a yoplait yogurt.  I'll think about trying it but its appearance isn't very appealing to me.  Overall I am not too impressed with the boxes I have received from Birchbox.  The only thing that I really use from my first box in december is the POREfessional and I love it.  Oh and the ageless perfume.  I was hoping for makeup in my January box this time but got two creams, nail polish, perfume, and a snack.  Debating whether to stay with them... February's box is going to be a "make it" or "break it" for Birchbox.  

I would have loved the shampoo and conditioner HOWEVER if it's two types of packaging I hate on shampoos and conditioners and it's hard, rigid plastic (like my Love & Toast samples) or glass. lol Still, I'm a sucker for lavender.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would have loved the shampoo and conditioner HOWEVER if it's two types of packaging I hate on shampoos and conditioners and it's hard, rigid plastic (like my Love & Toast samples) or glass. lol Still, I'm a sucker for lavender.

yeah, the lavender is really nice, but i feel you on the plastic.  with an old apothecary, you'd think they would go for glass, but everyone is cheap these days.   ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  with that said, i'm a huge fan of hair product samples.  if i had to choose one thing to like about my external appearance, i'd say my hair.  it's the one thing i've truly made an all-out effort to take care of - even after having kids.   the redken shine flash sample i got a few months ago was awesome!   still iffy on the loreal mythic itty bitty sample - orofluido would have been much nicer.  but yeah... now i'm just babbling and don't know where i was going with this.  haha!

btw, if any of you ladies have blogs i'd love to know!  i need all the beauty advice i can get!  please post them here and i'll be sure to check them out!

i am starting to seriously fall in love with the fix malibu treatment and it bums me out a ton. $125 is SO much money. not that my skin is not worth it to me, but hell - unlike other ladies - noone here in particular, more thinking of "haulers" who easily drop $200 a week on something "just because" - i feel terrible spending that much money on something even IF i have it (meaning i could buy it and not starve for a week, but also meaning that would be my treat for the month). ughhh.

lets see how long i can make this sample last, and with my BB points, and valentine's coming up.. maybe BB will have some sort of promo again. mmmhhh.. 

I have a blog, but I mostly do reviews.  If I am really loving something.  Im trying to show photos of myself with makeup, but have not really wanted to do that.  here is my blog if you want to check it out.  I have just started with my blog, after years of people telling me I need to have one lol. *link removed by mod*

I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by allthingsaimee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

btw, if any of you ladies have blogs i'd love to know!  i need all the beauty advice i can get!  please post them here and i'll be sure to check them out!

I just started blogging on a regular basis at *link removed by mod*. It is kind of random though, and not totally based on beauty! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have a small blog. I only post every so often about random stuff and of course my Zoyas and whatever I buy beauty wise.

*link removed by mod*

Originally Posted by allthingsaimee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Ladies! If you'd like to post your blog link please put all blog addresses in the Blog Roll thread, please don't spam our forums. Make sure if you post your blog on the blog roll that you have link back to Makeuptalk.com on your blog. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by tawnyanshawn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have a blog, but I mostly do reviews.  If I am really loving something.  Im trying to show photos of myself with makeup, but have not really wanted to do that.  here is my blog if you want to check it out.  I have just started with my blog, after years of people telling me I need to have one lol.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Monday.

Originally Posted by Autumn Dahy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just started blogging on a regular basis at . It is kind of random though, and not totally based on beauty! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Latest posts

Back