Birchbox January 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

YAY it works for you too!, I am fairly sure I was the one who started this trend, most people said to pick something you dislike as your splurge, I found out accidently that my account that had a lot of blank answers was getting tons of awesome stuff (as in the coveted samples and nearly 1 full size item each month) 

Now both accounts have blank splurges, and they both get really great boxes each month.
That was you??? I was wondering who started that trend.

Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just leave my splurge item blank. I've gotten better (at least to me) boxes since. I think this was mentioned elsewhere a while ago, but it might seem like BB doesn't give you the splurge items in your boxes because you've stated that you'll spend money on that type of item - you'll buy those items anyway. So they might try to send you items other than your splurge items to get you to spend money on other things as well, items that you typically wouldn't splurge on.
I wish that were true or else I wouldn't have gotten the icky Nicole perfume in my box when I had perfume down as my splurge

LOL! Sounds like their logic; 'Hey, she said she'll buy nail polish so lets send her samples of everything but! And when we do send her a bottle, lets make it the one she can get locally for less than half of what we charge. Yeah!'

Oh wow, Kyuu, I got that stinky perfume this month. It is horrid.

I've had the blank splurge with my main account and my bonus account, which had almost identical info in it, except a much higher income. They both have gotten pretty good boxes, IMO. I've been getting full sized items from time to time. Not this month, but last month my main account got full size mascara, and the bonus account got full size lip gloss. I was a little surprised they didn't send me a full sized lip gloss this month, too. But not disappointed. My first box had a full size nail polish. I think that's pretty good if I'm getting full size 50% of the time.

Originally Posted by msbelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh wow, Kyuu, I got that stinky perfume this month. It is horrid.
Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wish that were true or else I wouldn't have gotten the icky Nicole perfume in my box when I had perfume down as my splurge
That perfume will NOT wash off of me omg, it's been 24 hours and it's still stuck on the back of my hand like chewing gum on a school desk.

Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I know that most of us haven't even gotten the December 2012 box yet (like me
icon_sad.gif
) but I found this picture on instagram and thought I'd share!

Any guesses as to what the January samples could be??
oooh, I think I spy Deborah Lippman stripper nail polish remover pads and I'm fairly certain the tall white tube to the left is Embryolisse (sp?) moisturizer.  Next to that looks like the bottle of the Aerie shimmer fragrance....is that a banana and yogurt on the far left lol ??

i really hope that they add more of embryolisse's line to the birchbox shop. i'm in love with the lair creme-concentre

i really hope that they add more of embryolisse's line to the birchbox shop. i'm in love with the lair creme-concentre
Me too! I just ordered another tube of it today. My first tube lasted about 6 weeks ( and there's still some in there) and my skin has never looked better.i want to try the anti aging one but its $80 :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> sooo not in my price range.

I think it's fair to say they might 'try' to match your profile to at least one of the items you get....but I think it's unreasonable to want them to match all 4 or 5 products to your profile. That would be a personally tailored box for every subscriber. Just chiming in to get this thread up on my dashboard :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> lol

Originally Posted by Meshybelle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That was you??? I was wondering who started that trend.
yess that was me, discovered by accident. I only figured it out when I realized that one of my profiles (second, newer one) was getting all of the good stuff, including 3 full size stilas in the span of like 4 months. I wanted to see if I could make my 1st profile any more like the second, until I realized 1/2 the answers were blank on the second account, including splurge. 

people can say it doesn't matter, but I have managed to get close to the "best" boxes every month, even the month everybody cancelled, I had awesome boxes!

(and never duplicates!)

Originally Posted by Scooby384 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it's fair to say they might 'try' to match your profile to at least one of the items you get....but I think it's unreasonable to want them to match all 4 or 5 products to your profile. That would be a personally tailored box for every subscriber. Just chiming in to get this thread up on my dashboard :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> lol
I agree that I think they at least try. I also am pretty sure that you can't change your profile and expect instantaneous results for that month, I would think they have things planned ahead of time and it might take at least a box or two before any profile changes to kick in.

This is my opinion...BB is a business and like every other business out there they want to make a profit. They arent making a huge profit on boxes when you factor in the cost of advertising, product samples, employee wages, warehouses, postage..etc. By filling out the profiles it gives them a basic idea of things you like and would buy.The point of the spoilers and the actual samples themselves is to get you excited to try new and different things you normally wouldnt try. And that is how they make their profit, by getting the consumer to buy items from their store that they featured....and that is why I keep getting nasty lipglosses and such...cause I damn sure wouldnt buy em...but there are other women who would!

Originally Posted by Cathie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is my opinion...BB is a business and like every other business out there they want to make a profit. They arent making a huge profit on boxes when you factor in the cost of advertising, product samples, employee wages, warehouses, postage..etc. By filling out the profiles it gives them a basic idea of things you like and would buy.The point of the spoilers and the actual samples themselves is to get you excited to try new and different things you normally wouldnt try. And that is how they make their profit, by getting the consumer to buy items from their store that they featured....and that is why I keep getting nasty lipglosses and such...cause I damn sure wouldnt buy em...but there are other women who would!

LOL I'm the same way with perfume samples. I even told them that sending me perfume is pointless because I have never and will never buy a perfume from them unless it's Ineke Hothouse (obsessed with that perfume now). When I make my purchases on Birchbox it's cosmetics - eye shadows, foundations and even lip balm or hair care products; I've even bought toothpaste from them. I rather try more samples of items I'm more likely to buy.

I rather try more samples of items I'm more likely to buy....same here.. I have eye creams as my splurge and if they had sent me the Its potent eyecream to try out ,I would damn sure have bought it!!!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL I'm the same way with perfume samples. I even told them that sending me perfume is pointless because I have never and will never buy a perfume from them unless it's Ineke Hothouse (obsessed with that perfume now). When I make my purchases on Birchbox it's cosmetics - eye shadows, foundations and even lip balm or hair care products; I've even bought toothpaste from them. I rather try more samples of items I'm more likely to buy.
I got Hothouse in my Beauty Army box and I LOVE it! It's such a fresh floral - I think I might buy the full size, but it's a tie between Ineke and Juicy Jewel for me. I'll probably get both, lol.

Originally Posted by Cathie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I rather try more samples of items I'm more likely to buy....same here.. I have eye creams as my splurge and if they had sent me the Its potent eyecream to try out ,I would damn sure have bought it!!!
It's 50% of my eye cream routine. And it feels amazing. I would recommend buying it with or without the sample. Although the sample size will last you for MONTHS. so.

I know that before I ever started to get BB I couldnt just run out and buy a eye cream only to find it didnt suit me, I didnt even know alot of companines gave samples out. But once I started getting BB I have been introduced to a whole lot of thing I didnt know existed and I get to try them .And thanx to MUT I figured what Im suppose to do with them..lol

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yess that was me, discovered by accident. I only figured it out when I realized that one of my profiles (second, newer one) was getting all of the good stuff, including 3 full size stilas in the span of like 4 months. I wanted to see if I could make my 1st profile any more like the second, until I realized 1/2 the answers were blank on the second account, including splurge. 

people can say it doesn't matter, but I have managed to get close to the "best" boxes every month, even the month everybody cancelled, I had awesome boxes!

(and never duplicates!)
Thanks for the tip! I've always had Eye cream as my splurge and gotten pretty good boxes up til now but never the best ones. I went and changed it now to blank, so we'll see if it affects my box in January :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Meahlea /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's 50% of my eye cream routine. And it feels amazing. I would recommend buying it with or without the sample. Although the sample size will last you for MONTHS. so.
Can you tell us about it,please? What is it suppose to do? Im sorry I dont mean to grill you..Im just so curious about it.

Back