Birchbox January 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Cathie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can you tell us about it,please? What is it suppose to do? Im sorry I dont mean to grill you..Im just so curious about it.
It's a brightening eye cream, which works well for me and my pasty insomniac self. I use it in the morning and an anti-aging cream at night, and since I started using the sample jar I got in October (!) I've noticed an increase in moisture and decrease in dark circles.

Originally Posted by Meahlea /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's a brightening eye cream, which works well for me and my pasty insomniac self. I use it in the morning and an anti-aging cream at night, and since I started using the sample jar I got in October (!) I've noticed an increase in moisture and decrease in dark circles.
LOL!! Thank you! That is exactly what I have been looking for...I have given up on finding something to get rid of fine lines...it doesnt exist...but I really need something for dark circles...thank you!

i got the email about that nail polish being new to the shop so hopefully we get those!!  i love polish!

Oh great now that my order is set to arrive I see they updated the +2 packs...Talika Lipocils and Jouer!!!! Damn!! My 2 favorite things!!

I know we moved on from talking about how to get your perfect box using your profile but I wanted to put in  my two cents real quick. I have on my profile that my hair is color treated and i am looking for new hair products (I changed it too face products for this months) in both of the boxes i have recived there was a hair product that was formulated for colored hair. I dont think they really is any method to the maddness but to just tell the truth and hope for the best.

Ehhh...I hope to not get polish.  I have hundreds (literally...hundreds) of polishes.  I mean, I won't be that mad over it...but I'd prefer to buy what I know I like.

I have a lot of polish too but did want to try out their new brands. Oh well, if they send them great, if not I'll never purchase them. I don't like to buy something I haven't tried, and then have to give/throw it away or spend money on postage to send it back. I'll just not buy the item. 

I did blank out my questions but maybe I should go back and list the polish as my splurge item. I don't expect a box filled with all my choices on the profile, just think your splurge item should be the one they try to send. 

Originally Posted by Jennifer Love /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ehhh...I hope to not get polish.  I have hundreds (literally...hundreds) of polishes.  I mean, I won't be that mad over it...but I'd prefer to buy what I know I like.
me too. I finally counted a couples weeks ago when I was swatching them to procrastinate on writing a paper, and I had 277, which after a couple of online sales have turned into 287. I always think I want polish in the box, but I always have a dupe for the polishes they send. Nowadays I am pretty particular about which I buy since I have so many.

I resubbed for January after cancelling in September. I found myself missing the fun of saving up points to buy myself a splurge I wouldn't otherwise buy. HOpe I don't regret it! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I don't really want polish, but I'd use it. The one thing that appears to be in the preview that I really don't want is the Carol's Daughter split end treatment...I already have a sample from Ipsy, a sample I got somewhere I can't remember, and a full size from Klout. NO MORE.

Originally Posted by vogliadivintage /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How am I not seeing where the split end treatment is in the picture?
Someone earlier in the thread said they thought they saw it. I frankly can't ID anything in the picture, so I don't know. But one of the items toward the middle is roughly the size and shape of the sample Ipsy sent out.

I hope they send more lip stains/ sticks. I hate trying them out in store because they seem so unsanitary, but it's also really hard to tell what a color will look like on my lips and with my skin-tone. 

Slightly off topic, but if anyone still has their tiny sample of the YuBe cream from a few months back I finally got a chance to use it for what I was saving it for--rubbing on my nose during a nasty cold (the one I've got is a doozy, I think it is my winter break present from the hospital I study at).  If anyone still has it tucked away in their sample stash try it for a rubbed raw nose, it works fantastic!

On topic, I would love to see more hair styling products--mousses, hairsprays, etc.  I'm sick of shampoo and 'oil', but I keep a diverse rotation of styling products for different looks, so I'd love to try something new.

i think the jan bb is going to be a collaboration with ruffian it says about it on the birchbox blog

Originally Posted by antonella /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i think the jan bb is going to be a collaboration with ruffian it says about it on the birchbox blog
Well, I certainly hope it goes over better than the goop box.  Lawdy...what a mess that was!  

Well, I certainly hope it goes over better than the goop box.  Lawdy...what a mess that was!  
yeah it seems like every other themed box was a hot mess.

march teen vogue box - good

may gossip girl box - eh

july glamour box - good

october goop box - horrible

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yeah it seems like every other themed box was a hot mess.

march teen vogue box - good

may gossip girl box - eh

july glamour box - good

october goop box - horrible

*crosses fingers*  Well, if it goes the same pattern then we should be good...maybe!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

*crosses fingers*  Well, if it goes the same pattern then we should be good...maybe!   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  
yup. i hope that the boxes start off on the right track for the new year! 
15d.gif

Originally Posted by Annie92 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hope they send more lip stains/ sticks. I hate trying them out in store because they seem so unsanitary, but it's also really hard to tell what a color will look like on my lips and with my skin-tone. 
Based on their blog post featuring markers, I have a feeling we might be seeing more of those in future boxes, and not limited to lip (I *love* that Pixi marker I got over the summer, although it seems to have been discontinued) and eye (sure, they've sent out the Eyeko marker-style liners, but this is not the only brand that makes them)!

Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On topic, I would love to see more hair styling products--mousses, hairsprays, etc.  I'm sick of shampoo and 'oil', but I keep a diverse rotation of styling products for different looks, so I'd love to try something new.

Ugh, I absolutely despise hair styling products!  The smell (and droplets, if we're talking about a spray) pretty much always triggers a headache.  I had to stop going to a certain unisex barber shop I otherwise loved because of the insane amounts of hairspray they used.  I can feel my throat closing up just *thinking* about it.  And my hair is so silky-fine and thick that it just does whatever it wants.  I've gotten to the point where I've had to start thinking of it as a pet.  I've named it Lucy.  She likes cheap shampoo (whatever Fred Meyer has for under a buck a bottle) every day and a touch of hair serum/oil worked in right after a shower every few days (every other day at the absolute most frequent), but not multipurpose oil like the Nuxe stuff that my skin is fond of in the winter.  

But I do have a couple of ounces of various hair oils/serums from various sample boxes that I collected but never got around to using when my hair was still in a pixie cut (and keep on collecting whenever something of this nature shows up in a box now that I know how well this stuff works for me), so it would be nice to make a dent in my stash before I get any more.  Some hairpins (like the Jane Tran pins currently in the shop) would be neat.  My hair is at the in-between stage where it's just long enough to need to be pulled back, heavy enough to scoff at twistbands, and too short for a ponytail, so I am relying heavily on bobbypins since it's also too silky to stay in barrettes, but bobbypins are a-ok.

Originally Posted by antonella /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the Ruffian box is going to be later in the year, not the January box.  The blog says something like, "Be on the lookout," and they have had precisely zero promotion that I've been able to find about it aside from that blog post.  The other times they've done curated boxes, it's been *all over the place* for what seems like a month ahead of time.  My guess would be September for Fashion Week/Fashion's Night Out.  *Maybe* February for the fall/winter FW, but September seems more likely due to FNO.  At least that's what I would do if I were scheduling this sort of thing. Cross-promotion ahoy!

it doesn't specifically say January. I would be excited for a high fashion collaboration. maybe it will have two nail polishes to do a ruffian manicure with, since thats kind of the only beauty related thing Ruffian is known for, if I am not mistaken.

Back