Birchbox June 2014 - Spoilers!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was sent as a promo type code.  You'll have to put it in the promo code box, and skip on any other codes for discounts. :-\    
If it's a promo code but it's just $20 off $20, use it to buy gift cards and then use the gift cards in an order with a promo code :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Does anyone know if the code they sent was a gift card code, or a coupon code?

I mean, I understand why they didn't comp $45 considering it was a promo and we didn't actually pay for it. I was expecting like "sorry here's 100 points" so the $20 was nicer than I expected, although I would genuinely rather have the necklace. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's a gift card code!  I just tried it out along with other gift card codes and found out you can stack it just like any other gift card codes.  =)

What's the general consensus on using the LAQA Lip Lube pencil which clearly states " Made in China"?

Are most who got it using it or skipping it? I got bright purple and don't love the color.. Was going to buy one in the BB store in a softer hue until I saw the country of origin. 

Is it safe or is it iffy? Need opinions. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thanks.

Hmm, good to know.  The email I got said it was a promo code, not gift code.  
They might've wanted it to sound like a promo code so you won't stack them or something of the sort since they know Makeup Talkers would be all over doing just that haha.  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

For those with the $20 codes, did you get the necklace as an add on or with the sign up promo. I last heard from someone a week ago saying they were checking with the warehouse on it.. And nothing since.

For those with the $20 codes, did you get the necklace as an add on or with the sign up promo. I last heard from someone a week ago saying they were checking with the warehouse on it.. And nothing since.
The codes are coming for the people who used the code on new subscriptions to get the necklace for free.

What's the general consensus on using the LAQA Lip Lube pencil which clearly states " Made in China"?

Are most who got it using it or skipping it? I got bright purple and don't love the color.. Was going to buy one in the BB store in a softer hue until I saw the country of origin. 

Is it safe or is it iffy? Need opinions. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Thanks.
check the ingredients. if the quality of the product is good, then being made in China is not an automatic red flag. Lots of high end items are manufactured in China, (if you are against the exploitation of chinese factory workers on the other hand then I couldn't tell you what to do with it.)

check the ingredients. if the quality of the product is good, then being made in China is not an automatic red flag. Lots of high end items are manufactured in China, (if you are against the exploitation of chinese factory workers on the other hand then I couldn't tell you what to do with it.)
Thanks. I do not remember enough about chemistry to know if all the ingredients are safe.The only thing which jumps out at me is . Butyl Hydroxy Toluene, but I think the FDA allows BHA and BHT in USA-produced cosmetics. It might be  an environmental hazard for those working with chemicals long- term.

I have the Menatour  pencil and Birchbox says it contains:

Menatour: Octyl Palmitate, Polyisobutene, BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2, MICA, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Ozokerite, Ceresin, Polyethylene, Beeswax, MENTHA PIPERITA, Propylparaben, Butyl Hydroxy Toluene, D&C Red No. 27 Al Lake (CI 45410), Titanium Dioxid (CI 77891), FD&C BLUE No.1 Al Lake (CI 42090)

I actually really love the purple Laqa lip balm. It's moisturizing and a really wearable shade, looks much softer on. And it's minty fresh!! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:
There was one other person on the board besides myself that I remember that requested the necklace as an add on and both of us got a refund and 100 sorry points.  I had signed up for my account with a 100 point code so logically  I know it works out the same as a 20$ gc but kinda annoying for some reason :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thanks for answering :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Problem is, the ingredients on the label may not be what's in the product......that's been the issue with some Chinese-made cosmetic/health&beauty/food products.  Substitution of cheaper ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I do not remember enough about chemistry to know if all the ingredients are safe.The only thing which jumps out at me is . Butyl Hydroxy Toluene, but I think the FDA allows BHA and BHT in USA-produced cosmetics. It might be  an environmental hazard for those working with chemicals long- term.

I have the Menatour  pencil and Birchbox says it contains:

Menatour: Octyl Palmitate, Polyisobutene, BIS-DIGLYCERYL POLYACYLADIPATE-2, MICA, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Ozokerite, Ceresin, Polyethylene, Beeswax, MENTHA PIPERITA, Propylparaben, Butyl Hydroxy Toluene, D&C Red No. 27 Al Lake (CI 45410), Titanium Dioxid (CI 77891), FD&C BLUE No.1 Al Lake (CI 42090)
I can't answer the China question for you... that's really a personal choice! I avoid but love LAQA products.  EWG hasn't examined this newer product, but the others are rated with a 1 which is pretty great, and makes me happy because I love their stuff and try to only use clean products. 

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/search.php?query=LAQA&h=Search

Does anyone know what the cutoff is for ordering a month's box? Like when can I order a new sub but get July's box as my first box, not June's?

I want to use that BBJET code for a new sub but I don't need another June box, and I know I'm walking a dangerous line of waiting too long and the code won't work anymore.

Does anyone know what the cutoff is for ordering a month's box? Like when can I order a new sub but get July's box as my first box, not June's?

I want to use that BBJET code for a new sub but I don't need another June box, and I know I'm walking a dangerous line of waiting too long and the code won't work anymore.
Are you resubscribing on an account that already received a June box? If so, they won't send another one. You'll just be pre-paying for July. If not, they seem to move it around, and even when the confirmation screen says July, they might still decide to send June if the month hasn't ended.

Are you resubscribing on an account that already received a June box? If so, they won't send another one. You'll just be pre-paying for July. If not, they seem to move it around, and even when the confirmation screen says July, they might still decide to send June if the month hasn't ended.
Nope brand new account- trying to get 50 points for a referral + 100 bbjetblue points.

I got the canned email response earlier in the week about "reaching out to the warehouse" or someplace and I got the $20.00 code yesterday. I used the FB promo code for the free necklace with the new sub. I later rage cancelled that sub, so I really never thought I would get the necklace, so I feel pretty good about the whole thing.  Now I just need a promo code to stack with this gift code and I'm all set! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I got an e-mail with a different promo, and it said to order by June 23rd. I have no idea when BBJET expires, though.

Cross posted from the Warehouse Thread - 

Just got off the phone with the rep who coincidentally was the rep I had been emailing with this whole time. She apologized a lot and did say they had been going back on forth on what do with this promo. I think everyone (hopefully) who actually paid for the necklace eventually ended up getting it, but they couldn't get KS to give them an accurate date on when they'd be able to ship us promo-people the necklace. Instead of continuing the run around of it will ship in X weeks, they decided to bite the bullet and send us the email. 

She did sound very sincere in her apology and disappointed that she couldn't get us the necklaces. It sounded like a case of a promo gone rogue (aka posted on multiple promo sites/code kept working long after it was supposed to expire) + supplier not meeting the higher demand + mercury in retrograde. All in all, while I am still slightly sad to not have le pretty necklace, I now have a crap ton of points to spend and TREAT MAH SELF.

Glad the necklace code/gift card worked with my main account. I cancelled the account I bought the necklace on and it only has 70 points and no free shipping. I ended up buying Løv Organic tea and the small rosanna vessel and something from my Summer Swapees wishilist but I forgot to add a pick two! I got 20% off used 100 points and payed $1.92 out of pocket!

Latest posts

Back