Birchbox Man

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my guy was not impressed and neither was i about his box.  I feel it's just a little better than the female one but way more expensive.  He's not a sock guy and my feet are too small to fit into those socks. 

I did like the slide out box more than the female one. it'll be good for storage.

I think I've decided (for both of us) that we're not sorry we skipped this. The old man's perspective was, "Do it if you want, but I reserve the right to mock it if it's lame." Then I told him the cost, and he was like, "NO!" 

Thing is, he's totally open to trying stuff, but he'd almost rather that I check stuff out and then put a goodie box together for him. He isn't averse to gender-neutral stuff (like Kiehl's), so while I understand the "There are fewer products that are marketed for men", I'm not sure I can buy that as a rationale for the box being more expensive or not good. 

I mean, think about it--our boxes SOMETIMES include makeup, sometimes not. Almost always a lifestyle extra (most of which are gender-neutral). Skin care (if you include neutral items and not the things that are just marketed towards men), untinted lip balms, cuticle creams, and hair care have an absolute PLETHORA of products available, not to mention how we frequently moan about, "Oh, Lord, not ANOTHER fragrance sample"! Yes, part of it depends on which brands they can get, but I just don't feel this is a good value at this time.

That said, and NOT being familiar with "Get Fresh Kit", I see that they also charge $20 for 4 to 6.

I'm disappointed in the Birchbox Man items. If it were $10 I'd be happier, but for TWICE the price of a Birchbox I expected MORE items than this:

(L -> R):

Richer Poor Socks (1 pair)

Billy Jealousy Liquid Sand Exfoliating Facial Cleanser (2 oz / 60mL)

Kiehl's Ultimate Man Body Scrub Soap (3.2 oz / 90g)

CoSTUME NATIONAL Eau de Parfum sample (~1mL)

H put the socks on right away as we were headed out the door to a wedding.  So did not match his suit!  He said he prefers the RL socks he buys at Marshalls and are cheaper.

He did have fun opening the box.  I will give it one more month unless he hates all the other products after trying them.

I think I've decided (for both of us) that we're not sorry we skipped this. The old man's perspective was, "Do it if you want, but I reserve the right to mock it if it's lame." Then I told him the cost, and he was like, "NO!" 

Thing is, he's totally open to trying stuff, but he'd almost rather that I check stuff out and then put a goodie box together for him. He isn't averse to gender-neutral stuff (like Kiehl's), so while I understand the "There are fewer products that are marketed for men", I'm not sure I can buy that as a rationale for the box being more expensive or not good. 

I mean, think about it--our boxes SOMETIMES include makeup, sometimes not. Almost always a lifestyle extra (most of which are gender-neutral). Skin care (if you include neutral items and not the things that are just marketed towards men), untinted lip balms, cuticle creams, and hair care have an absolute PLETHORA of products available, not to mention how we frequently moan about, "Oh, Lord, not ANOTHER fragrance sample"! Yes, part of it depends on which brands they can get, but I just don't feel this is a good value at this time.

That said, and NOT being familiar with "Get Fresh Kit", I see that they also charge $20 for 4 to 6.
That is such a great idea!!! You know your husband/boyfriend better than some profile and you can get things he really likes! It would be like Christmas of beauty/grooming items! My husband got his yesterday and he was so excited. We sat at the kitchen table and opened the box, I read all the descriptions to him as he was taking it out. He got the shave gel and not the cologne but would have enjoyed each. He had tried the Billy Jealousy stuff before and LOVES Billy Jealousy but wasn't much of a fan of that face wash but for some reason he seemed to be excited for it. Was it worth $20, maybe, maybe not. But seeing my husband get all excited about getting his box in the mail just like me, was PRICELESS. I loved it. He checked the mail 3 times yesterday!

Gave the box I ordered to my brother and he loved everything. (received the same one as AsianGirl posted above) His words were, "I'm a Birchbox convert!" Dunno if he'll buy the full-sized versions but he really enjoyed the excuse to get a bit spiffier than usual. And while he's pretty thrifty in general, he didn't get sticker shock at all — he's going to pay for the sub after this box. Obviously there are some who are kinda sore that at twice the price it's not twice as great/valuable as the women's box, but I feel like he got what I paid for. And with feedback points and free shipping it's still a good deal, even if it's not an out-of-this-world deal like some women's boxes are. Guess we'll see what future months bring!

Originally Posted by glamourdolleyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is such a great idea!!! You know your husband/boyfriend better than some profile and you can get things he really likes! It would be like Christmas of beauty/grooming items!

My husband got his yesterday and he was so excited. We sat at the kitchen table and opened the box, I read all the descriptions to him as he was taking it out. He got the shave gel and not the cologne but would have enjoyed each. He had tried the Billy Jealousy stuff before and LOVES Billy Jealousy but wasn't much of a fan of that face wash but for some reason he seemed to be excited for it.

Was it worth $20, maybe, maybe not. But seeing my husband get all excited about getting his box in the mail just like me, was PRICELESS. I loved it. He checked the mail 3 times yesterday!

Uh oh... that sounds like trouble. Just don't tell him about the other men's grooming box services out there. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by glamourdolleyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That is such a great idea!!! You know your husband/boyfriend better than some profile and you can get things he really likes! It would be like Christmas of beauty/grooming items!
My husband got his yesterday and he was so excited. We sat at the kitchen table and opened the box, I read all the descriptions to him as he was taking it out. He got the shave gel and not the cologne but would have enjoyed each. He had tried the Billy Jealousy stuff before and LOVES Billy Jealousy but wasn't much of a fan of that face wash but for some reason he seemed to be excited for it.
Was it worth $20, maybe, maybe not. But seeing my husband get all excited about getting his box in the mail just like me, was PRICELESS. I loved it. He checked the mail 3 times yesterday!
Yeah, I do know his tastes, so I can better tailor it--I have a slight advantage for the "surprise element" since he lives in California and I live in Arizona--I'm still able to send him goodie boxes "whenever". And I have started throwing in "beauty" products lately--sometimes the gender-neutral stuff that I get, sometimes full-size drugstore stuff that he needs or that I want him to try. And, ok, with my couponing and thrifting, I probably do put together a box that is well above a $20 price point :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I do actually agree that you can't put a price on experience--if your fella was that excited, then it was clearly money well spent.

Originally Posted by cjeanette /img/forum/go_quote.gif

H put the socks on right away as we were headed out the door to a wedding.  So did not match his suit!  He said he prefers the RL socks he buys at Marshalls and are cheaper.

He did have fun opening the box.  I will give it one more month unless he hates all the other products after trying them.
I told my hubby about the BB Man and he said no, he doesnt like it. I told him what are the possible stuff he might receive and he said, "I can get better stuff in Marshalls whenever I need it". Kinda bummed me but its  true. We recently bought 3 pairs of RL socks for $8.00 and he loves em. We keep on buying whenever we shop there (or Ross/TJMaxx/Burlington).

I mean, for this kind of box, i think what was paid was for the name of the items.

He works in a hospital so the perfume thingy is totally useless and his skin routine is very simple -- he's just not into this.

I think we are canceling. I was really disappointed
icon_cry.gif

My guy loved is Man BB, he was always curious when I received mine and he asked if there was one for guys.  When I submitted his e-mail he signed up right away. He can't wait to see what other suprises he gets.
claps.gif

Originally Posted by iPretty949 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I told my hubby about the BB Man and he said no, he doesnt like it. I told him what are the possible stuff he might receive and he said, "I can get better stuff in Marshalls whenever I need it". Kinda bummed me but its  true. We recently bought 3 pairs of RL socks for $8.00 and he loves em. We keep on buying whenever we shop there (or Ross/TJMaxx/Burlington).can 

I mean, for this kind of box, i think what was paid was for the name of the items.

He works in a hospital so the perfume thingy is totally useless and his skin routine is very simple -- he's just not into this.
Yes!  He exact quote was "I can buy 3 pair RL socks for $8 and they a comfier"

Verdict is in...he slapped on the socks and the cologne right away (had to wash the cologne off as it didn't smell that good), and he'll give the BJ facial sand scrub and soap bar a whirl. He was expecting more for $20, so we'll give it one more month :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well...I'd like to try another month too hoping for great hair products for him but the bf wants to cancel. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

At least he got blue socks instead of the green. He would have been real mad at me if he didnt like ANY thing. hehe

Here is what our pair of socks looked like:

Originally Posted by miss6aby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well...I'd like to try another month too hoping for great hair products for him but the bf wants to cancel. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  

At least he got blue socks instead of the green. He would have been real mad at me if he didnt like ANY thing. hehe

Here is what our pair of socks looked like:

I wanted the blue! We got the green and it was so funny...he was on his way out the door for Boy Scouts and was wearing a green shirt and kahkis already, tried the socks and they went great with the outfit with some brown shoes haha. The GF approves! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My husband loved it.  I think it was more of the fact that he was getting something in the mail.  But it was a huge hit in our house.  He even liked the socks.  He got a cream pair with little purple and yellow lines.  So for now, we'll continue the subscription.

Originally Posted by jlvb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My husband loved it.  I think it was more of the fact that he was getting something in the mail.  But it was a huge hit in our house.  He even liked the socks.  He got a cream pair with little purple and yellow lines.  So for now, we'll continue the subscription.
Oh! when you get a minute could you post your socks? That sounds like a pretty cool combo. Im thinking about doing one more month whether he wants to or not. LOL.

Then he'll have enough points to get the Tatcha blotting papers. lol he used all mine! So he asked if he could get his own. 

I loved all the packing materials in the mens box it looked so nice.  My boyfriend was the most excited about the socks but he loves crazy socks...the pair he received are a crazy purple stripe.  The other products I think will take him more time to use and figure out but it was cute to see when he added them to his shower products.

I was kinda underwhelmed with the first box but maybe the next one will be a little more interesting.

My dude loved the kheils soap bar already said he would want the full size of that. I think he's also happy to finally have a manly face wash because he usually uses mine. Dunno why he refuses to buy his own, as if he doesn't need one but then will use mine up lol oh well at least now he has one he will use and that is made for men. He did say that he likes his GetFresh kit better though, so will probably cancel BB

Back