Birchbox Man

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be stealing the socks from the hubby as he doesn't wear socks (he's a sandals man) except in the winter.

Originally Posted by Angie Tacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am not sure about this being $20......

Just checked what my boyfriend will be getting in his box, and this is the same exact pic that popped up!  I am relieved he's not getting any fragrances as I just scored him a ton of male cologne samples (stuff that I was personally able to pick). I have to say I agree with everyone about the box being pretty bad for $20.  I am pretty disappointed as I thought they would make the box a bit of a better value considering the $10 increase from the women's box...and some women's boxes are worth MORE than this for just the $10 price tag!  To reiterate what someone else said, I also don't understand why they are sending out socks in the middle of spring as temperatures here in Ohio have been hitting close to 80 degrees too.  But, my boyfriend wears tennis shoes constantly so I'm sure he'll get good use out of the socks..  I did check the description for the socks, and it claims they are a lightweight fabric so at least they didn't send out fuzzy wool socks - LOL. 
I told my boyfriend I would pay for the first box as a little gift, but if he actually wants to continue on with it he'll have to pick up the tab.  I think he'll feel good about getting a surprise but I'm not sure he'll be totally into all the contents of this box.  He has been wanting a really good exfoliating face wash so i think he'll be really happy about that product.  But then again, I could totally see him getting addicted to the surprise element of the box and wanting to get another month  which is why  I am not going to tell him I know what is going to be in the box though as I want him to be completely surprised.  Who knows maybe next month will be a big ticket box as birchbox can sometimes be like night and day from month to month.

Like the rest of you ladies, I am quite disappointed. When I saw someone had posted a picture of the box on here, I quickly went to see what my boyfriend got, hoping that wasn't really the box. For the price, I was really hoping for better.  
icon_neutral.gif

Not that I don't see that the value of the box is near or over the $20 monthly fee, but I think its hard to be comfortable with paying that amount and not either getting many smaller samples to try or larger, higher value items. With the women's subscription, I don't expect every box to be grossly over valued, but I think it's easier to not think about it as much when it costs $10. It's just $10... but when it's $20, it gets a little harder not to try to justify the value. Especially when I know what $20 can purchase. And I know that there are probably  subscribers to the Birchman box who are just fine paying the amount requested and getting what was in the first box, but I also know that there are subscribers (or their spouses, partners, family members, etc. who signed them up) have the expectation this would be a little more. I just am not sure that the men's market is that keen on spending higher amounts of money on skin/body/simple lifestyle products as women are. I know that I am more likely to spend $50  on makeup or a eye cream, while my husband is going to tell me I'm crazy. He rather spend $50 on a video game or a concert.

... as I read this, I realize how "involved" I am in my husband's Birchbox, when this is really for him. LOL

Hard to say before it gets here but I think SS and man are on the chopping block for glossybox. 1 more month for each then the hammer comes down.

Hmmm, I am on the fence with this one. I might give it one more month. I guess I was expecting at least 5-6 items like the ladies box. I think for $20, 4 items seems not alot of bang for the buck, even if the value is more than the $20. My husband liked the limited edition box, so I agree that maybe they should lean towards that.

4 items for $20? That Kiehls soap better be full-sized! Birchbox is sucking lately. Maybe $15 would be more reasonable. 

With the CoSTUME NATIONAL Scent Intense I am seeing the value at barely $20. The soap if full size should be almost as big as the socks.

The thing is that I was just at the Kiehls store and bought some sunblock. I was about to pick up the regular one and notice across the way there was a new mens one. I asked the salesperson about the difference and he told me the mens was better and cheaper. They are the same sunblock only the mens has vitamin e, c and caffeine. He went on to tell me how men expect to get more bang for their buck. The whole mens like is more multitasking while being cheaper.

What it all comes down to is men expect more value for what they buy and there needed to be more in there for what the box cost. The box cost double of the women's box and they get 1 or 2 less items.

Originally Posted by SeptEllis /img/forum/go_quote.gif. I just am not sure that the men's market is that keen on spending higher amounts of money on skin/body/simple lifestyle products as women are. I know that I am more likely to spend $50  on makeup or a eye cream, while my husband is going to tell me I'm crazy. He rather spend $50 on a video game or a concert.
I think that the above may be part of the reason the men's box is more expensive to begin with...the guys are probably less likely to buy the products...especially a more expensive beauty product. My husband likes the idea of getting a little present each month, which is why he wanted a sub. Is he going to spend $50+ on a "beauty" product? Nope. So the higher cost may help offset whatever money BB makes on the purchase side.

Yep, and there's just not the sheer VARIETY for men...It's probably a lot harder to find good men's samples than it is to find women's.

My boyfriend's box is out for delivery!
yey.gif
He won't be home until after 8 though. I'm so anxious to see what is in his box!

My boyfriends box just arrived and I'm going to try not to open it arrrgh!  It came super fast too..I got the email on the 25th and it arrived today.

Same here, got his notice on the 25th and it just got here but he's not going to be home for quite a few more hours. I promised him I wouldn't open it without him though! I have an idea of what is in his box but he said he wanted to be surprised.

Eeee so my boyfriend's Butchbox (yep :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />) came today. I received the email on the 25th and my boxes tend to come within two days so it made the same time. I'll start by saying my boyfriend sees how giddy I get waiting, opening, and using my birchbox, so when I saw birchbox man, I got on the waitlist immediately because, let's face it, I was going to get him it no matter what (mainly for my satisfaction haha), but when I asked him if he'd try it, he said why not? So we're going to try it out fr a few monthes and see how it goes. I can't post a picture from my phone right now but he got: 1) Richer Poorer socks in a cream color with purple and orange dashes. So perfect because those are his favorite colors. Mine too, so I will refrain from stealing them like I do his comfy t shirts and boxers. Muhahaha. 2) Zirh Shave Gel in a itsy bitsy sample. My boyfriend has a beard and generally doesn't shape it with a razor let alone shave gel. It does smell good (nice and light), but he said he was probably going to give it to my dad, bit I reminded him he could still get a razor and see if he likes it. We both would have preferred a cologne sample, which I expected given he has a beard and that is clear on his profile. But hey, its birchbox, where perfume samples reproduce like bunnies in springtime, so I digress. 3) Billy Jealousy Liquid Sand Exfoliating Facial Cleanser. Right up my boyfriend's alley. He generally just use my Origins or Garnier facewash, but I know his inner Viking is screaming for a manly-named, manly-smelling facial cleanser. I know this because I have talked him into using a girly peel off face mask by convincing him it's really cool to peel it off, so he did, but the whole time he was uncomfortable and made sure no one saw him in a face mask. Haha I enjoyed it. But to get back to the point, it smells very nice and light. We both think he'll love it. I'll more than likely use it too. Muhaha (I'm just chock full of Muhaha). 4) Kiehl's Ultimate Man Body Scrub Soap. Enter manly Viking boyfriend again. This, too, is right up my boyfraaan's alley. The name draws him to it, and he loves a good manly smelling soap. Plus it has pumice, and believe you me, his feet could stand to pay a visit to Mr. Pumice. Also, people were complaining that this better be a full size bar. I don't think it's full size, but it IS big. If you don't think so, well then I guess just tell yourself big things come in small packages! Overall we are both happy with it and are curious to see how it evolves. Though how many samplesh do guys really need, they don't have a huge product range like us. My boyfriend said it best "okay beeb, we can cancel now, I have a face scrub, body scrub, and some socks. I'm set for 6 months" Hahahah. Final note: I love that the explanation card is so simple and to the point. It says "What: product name" and "How: how to use it". No sparkles, no frills. Basic sentences guys like (and sometimes need!). Birchbox Man aka Butchbox round one: win for us!

my regular birchbox takes almost a whole week just to get to california. the man one took 2 days to get here. hopefully it'll be delivered soon. i can't wait!

So my boyfriend loved his box! He is excited to save them haha and I'm super jealous that the men's are bigger! I want a bigger one for storage!

He received a pair of socks, the kiehls soap, billy jealousy cleanser and a shave gel. I think he just likes getting a present each month!

Back