Birchbox October 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by astokes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, I got a 25% off code! & I have $30 in points!

I don't know what to buy. Lol.
Maybe a perfume if they have one you like. That's a good chunk of money off an always pricey item.

So I did get my box a week or so ago but never paid too much attention to the contents and set my box aside for later use. My box was Box 1.

• essie® fall picks Nail Polish Collection -- 885 Power Clutch
  • Joanna Vargas Daily Serum -- 5 ml
  • Kiehl's Aromatic Blends: Orange Flower & Lychee - Liquid Body Cleanser -- 2.2 oz
  • LUNA Fiber Chocolate Raspberry
  • Naked Princess Naked Shine Luscious Lip Gloss -- Barely Coral
So my thoughts.

Birchbox introduced me to Essie as prior to getting my first Essie from them I only bought OPI, China Glaze, Wet n Wild, Sinful Colors and from time to time Sally Hansen, Fingerpaints and anything else that caught my eye. Normally I wouldn't care for this dark shade of gray since it reminds me of sidewalks on a rainy day when it turns that dark gray with the rain. I think it might work as a base for a glitter polish or for a lighter color that I want an extra bit of pop but I don't think I'll use it strictly on it's own.

The Joanna Vargas Daily Serum is a small tube but I have found that like many eye cream products you literally only need a couple of pea size amounts for both eyes and face so this should last at least a week if not longer enough for me to decide if I want to continue to use it by purchasing a full size amount or not. To clarify, this is a face product but like eye creams you need to use only a small amount since serums tend to be concentrated.

The Kiehl's Aromatic Blends: Orange Flower & Lychee is one of the items I'm really happy with. It smells so good that just on it's smell I'd buy a full size (eventually). It's a good size for a sample and it's not another foil packet.

LUNA Fiber Chocolate Raspberry. This one I do have a problem with. This has been my major complaint with Birchbox and that food products should not be sent to customers since people with food allergies can't eat those products. In my case I'm allergic to raspberries and ingesting raspberries breaks me out into hives, my throat swells up, my hands swell up. I wasn't always allergic to raspberries but have been since I was nine. I avoid raspberries in food products and in cosmetic products. So the LUNA bar I gave to my daughter who isn't allergic to raspberries. I really wish they would stop sending food products out OR give members the option to opt out of getting food items.

Once I saw the packaging of the Naked Princess Naked Shine Luscious Lip Gloss I remembered that a different company had sent me out a mini set of four which included the Barely Coral. Birchbox sent me one which is exactly the same size as the ones from the other company. I'm happy with the sample color I liked the Barely Coral the first time I got it and I still like it. I don't think I'd buy a full size one though due to the cost ($26).

Overall it's a pretty good box and if I weren't allergic to raspberries I'd give eat the LUNA bar but I'd still complain that they shouldn't include food items.

Originally Posted by queenofperil /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by astokes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, I got a 25% off code! & I have $30 in points!

I don't know what to buy. Lol.
Maybe a perfume if they have one you like. That's a good chunk of money off an always pricey item.

I'm torn between getting a Juliette has a gun perfume and getting the Jouer LMT, eyeko eyeliner, and some other stuff.

I'll probably get the latter because I still have a bunch left in the Juliette has a gun sample perfumes.

My box page finally updated, and I even got a shipping confirmation, even though it hasn't updated yet! Everyone, your lighting of candles and rain dancing to the Birchbox gods has worked (because I'm sure you all did that, right?). I'm getting new products, apparently. The heck? 

I guess I'm getting box 22. If you can't see the picture, it has:

• Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel (I live in dry SoCal weather and have fine hair. Derp)
  • theBalm cosmetics Mary-Lou Manizer (YEAH GIRL)
  • Lucy B. Cosmetics Roll On Perfume Oil Duo
  • Vitivia Vitamin capsules (No real use for these, but whatever)
  • LUNA Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter

My box page finally updated, and I even got a shipping confirmation, even though it hasn't updated yet! Everyone, your lighting of candles and rain dancing to the Birchbox gods has worked (because I'm sure you all did that, right?). I'm getting new products, apparently. The heck? 

I guess I'm getting box 22. If you can't see the picture, it has:

• Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel (I live in dry SoCal weather and have fine hair. Derp)
  • theBalm cosmetics Mary-Lou Manizer (YEAH GIRL)
  • Lucy B. Cosmetics Roll On Perfume Oil Duo
  • Vitivia Vitamin capsules (No real use for these, but whatever)
  • LUNA Protein Chocolate Peanut Butter
Woo hoo!  Congrats!  I actually liked the Vitivia capsules after I tried them.  Not enough to buy them for $55...but I thought they were pretty good!

Because of the new box contents, that means I get fifty more points in reviews. Sweet!
...did you already review your old stuff...?

Well, I actually used the products in my old box. I only got a partial one time use out of the Caudalie Serum since mine was basically empty, but I wouldn't have reviewed them if I couldn't try them. That seems like it's not very helpful to anyone.

Helpful to me! 
rocknroll2.gif

Originally Posted by Scooby384 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Helpful to me! 
rocknroll2.gif
LOL my thoughts exactly. I at least look at the sample before reviewing, but honestly? I don't think it's really cheating to fill out the survey before trying it. Most of the questions are about your knowledge of the brand & product, and how you felt about the size of the sample. It's not like there's a question that asks, "Did this sample change your life after three uses?"

If my box ships super late (like the past 2 months), I review my items early so I don't forget. If it ships around normal time, I wait and try the products before reviewing them. I feel like their surveys need to be updated though. It doesn't really ask much.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I did get my box a week or so ago but never paid too much attention to the contents and set my box aside for later use. My box was Box 1.

• essie® fall picks Nail Polish Collection -- 885 Power Clutch
  • Joanna Vargas Daily Serum -- 5 ml
  • Kiehl's Aromatic Blends: Orange Flower & Lychee - Liquid Body Cleanser -- 2.2 oz
  • LUNA Fiber Chocolate Raspberry
  • Naked Princess Naked Shine Luscious Lip Gloss -- Barely Coral

So my thoughts.

Birchbox introduced me to Essie as prior to getting my first Essie from them I only bought OPI, China Glaze, Wet n Wild, Sinful Colors and from time to time Sally Hansen, Fingerpaints and anything else that caught my eye. Normally I wouldn't care for this dark shade of gray since it reminds me of sidewalks on a rainy day when it turns that dark gray with the rain. I think it might work as a base for a glitter polish or for a lighter color that I want an extra bit of pop but I don't think I'll use it strictly on it's own.

The Joanna Vargas Daily Serum is a small tube but I have found that many eye cream products you literally only need a couple of pea size amounts for both eyes so this should last at least a week if not longer enough for me to decide if I want to continue to use it by purchasing a full size amount or not.

The Kiehl's Aromatic Blends: Orange Flower & Lychee is one of the items I'm really happy with. It smells so good that just on it's smell I'd buy a full size (eventually). It's a good size for a sample and it's not another foil packet.

LUNA Fiber Chocolate Raspberry. This one I do have a problem with. This has been my major complaint with Birchbox and that food products should not be sent to customers since people with food allergies can't eat those products. In my case I'm allergic to raspberries and ingesting raspberries breaks me out into hives, my throat swells up, my hands swell up. I wasn't always allergic to raspberries but have been since I was nine. I avoid raspberries in food products and in cosmetic products. So the LUNA bar I gave to my daughter who isn't allergic to raspberries. I really wish they would stop sending food products out OR give members the option to opt out of getting food items.

Once I saw the packaging of the Naked Princess Naked Shine Luscious Lip Gloss I remembered that a different company had sent me out a mini set of four which included the Barely Coral. Birchbox sent me one which is exactly the same size as the ones from the other company. I'm happy with the sample color I liked the Barely Coral the first time I got it and I still like it. I don't think I'd buy a full size one though due to the cost ($26).

Overall it's a pretty good box and if I weren't allergic to raspberries I'd give eat the LUNA bar but I'd still complain that they shouldn't include food items.
Is the Joanna Vargas just for the eyes? I thought it was a face serum...
icon_scratch.gif

I wasn't clear on that was I. Oops.

Yes, it's a face product but like eye creams this you only need a small amount. Serums are very concentrated so you don't need much.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wasn't clear on that was I. Oops.

Yes, it's a face product but like eye creams this you only need a small amount. Serums are very concentrated so you don't need much.
Oh, OK.. I was just wondering (wouldn't want to use a heavy eye serum on my whole face, especially since I break out pretty easy)! You're right though, a few drops should be enough, so this is probably going to last a while. I was glad to find out that you can use the top as a lid to close the tube, but then my kitten chewed on that part, so it wouldn't be sanitary to do that now... well, he's so cute, he can get away with anything! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I sent an email to Paulina, the girl who's been helping me with getting my replacement box, wishing her the best right now. I feel like an as***** for complaining so much about my damn replacement box when they're experiencing a hurricane and its aftermath. Hopefully all of the Birchbox team is okay.

I sent an email to Paulina, the girl who's been helping me with getting my replacement box, wishing her the best right now. I feel like an as***** for complaining so much about my damn replacement box when they're experiencing a hurricane and its aftermath. Hopefully all of the Birchbox team is okay.
That's quite nice of you. In fairness to you, it sounds like your issues occured pre-Hurricane, but all the same, I bet they appreciate it. =)

I finally got around to trying the JV daily serum and I LOVE THE SMELL of it - and how light it feels.  I'm going to keep using the rest of this sample but I hope I don't fall in love with it since it's kind of $pendy, lol.  I have to say my first impression is pretty good, though.

Latest posts

Back