Birchbox October 2012

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by jkwynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I finally got around to trying the JV daily serum and I LOVE THE SMELL of it - and how light it feels.  I'm going to keep using the rest of this sample but I hope I don't fall in love with it since it's kind of $pendy, lol.  I have to say my first impression is pretty good, though.
I finally got around to trying the serum today, too. Is it a vanilla-y smell? I can't quite place it. I really like it and can't wait to see if it does any good. I'm with you, though... I hope I don't find it a necessary part of my routine, or I will have to make a big decision about whether or not to fork over that much money for it!

Somewhat related, I really like Philosophy's "Help Me" night treatment and find it is worth the money. It's one of the only products I've ever used that has made a clear difference in the clarity and radiance of my skin.

I have my Joanna Vargas serum up for swap if anyone is interested. I loved getting a full-sized Essie in my Birchbox, although I did trade mine since I have a polish in that shade. I like Luna bars and the different foods that they send, but I understand why some would not wish to receive them. I detested the smell of the body oil, but it broke before my box got to me, so customer service is giving me a free box.

My oil spilled all over my box too!  They wrote me yesterday saying that they were out of inventory and that they were giving me 100 points to say they're sorry.  Maybe it's not a free box because I'm not subscribed annually?  Hey, I'm happy with the 10 bucks.  I'll use them at some point.

Originally Posted by vogliadivintage /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My oil spilled all over my box too!  They wrote me yesterday saying that they were out of inventory and that they were giving me 100 points to say they're sorry.  Maybe it's not a free box because I'm not subscribed annually?  Hey, I'm happy with the 10 bucks.  I'll use them at some point.
Interesting...my oil spilled all over too.  It totally soaked through the inner box to the outer "goop" box.  There was only a few drops remaining.

Hoping to see a few points, but not worrying about it.  Not expecting to hear much with Sandy.  Speaking of which, are all the NY and NJ MUTers okay?

My south Jersey neighborhood made out pretty good compared to everyone else. Tons of downed trees and power outages but thankfully not much property damage. I didn't lose power myself.

Originally Posted by LAtPoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting...my oil spilled all over too.  It totally soaked through the inner box to the outer "goop" box.  There was only a few drops remaining.

Hoping to see a few points, but not worrying about it.  Not expecting to hear much with Sandy.  Speaking of which, are all the NY and NJ MUTers okay?

There's a thread about the hurricane.. https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/130179/hurricane-sandy

The tracking info for my replacement box has finally updated. It says it's been processed trough the USPS facility in Bellmawr, NJ as of today, so I'm guessing that means the post offices there are starting to get back to business. I'm mostly excited that postal service is starting to resume. 

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I thought I would add this. My mom got a shipping notification on the 17th, then after no box she emailed and said it actually didn't ship and that they ran out of boxes. They weren't even going to refund her just not charge for November. I reply feel they should have given her a refund and a free box in November or at least some points. She thought it was ridiculous and canceled today. 

Originally Posted by xoxoelyse /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but I thought I would add this. My mom got a shipping notification on the 17th, then after no box she emailed and said it actually didn't ship and that they ran out of boxes. They weren't even going to refund her just not charge for November. I reply feel they should have given her a refund and a free box in November or at least some points. She thought it was ridiculous and canceled today. 
I had a similar issue. My box got shipped out but went to the wrong city and has been MIA ever since. They didn't offer me a replacement nor refund but are giving me a November box for free..I had already unsubbed so I'm less than thrilled :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Would have rather taken 100 points and spent it on a full-size item I know I'd enjoy!

Has anyone here ordered the full size Vasanti Brighten Up? I got my order last week with my BB points and my Vasanti is only filled halfway. I emailed BB, even though filling bottles isn't exactly their domain, but with Sandy I don't expect to hear back for a bit. I did get a response from Vasanti that this is normal but it just doesn't make any sense! Had I known I was spending $34 for a small, half-filled product.. I wouldn't have! Disappointing :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was just curious if anyone had a similar problem?!

Originally Posted by salth04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has anyone here ordered the full size Vasanti Brighten Up? I got my order last week with my BB points and my Vasanti is only filled halfway. I emailed BB, even though filling bottles isn't exactly their domain, but with Sandy I don't expect to hear back for a bit. I did get a response from Vasanti that this is normal but it just doesn't make any sense! Had I known I was spending $34 for a small, half-filled product.. I wouldn't have! Disappointing :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I was just curious if anyone had a similar problem?!
Thanks for letting us know. I was considering using points on this.

Originally Posted by salth04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can't you return it?

Can't you return it?
OMG. I just ordered that. I don't expect to get my order yet because of the hurricane, but now I am concerned about shady business practices again, an issue Birchbox needs to be more wary of. Why fill a full-size product half full? I do know it only calls for a pea-sized amount and the sample I got in my September Birchbox is still going, but come one, I expect a full-size product when I order a full-size product. Is Vasanti trying do deceive people by packaging double the size of the product?

Ooh, good job, Birchbox:  Changing your free shipping policy to include any of the *brands* -- not just *products* -- from the October boxes?  Good way to boost shop sales!  I approve this new policy.  There have been many,*many* times when I've thought, "Y'know, I would buy this and this and this if the entire *brand* was on sale and not just that one item."  I just hope they keep it around for a few months -- and that any resulting orders don't slam the warehouse/shipping facility beyond their capacity when they're still trying to recover from the hurricane.  Time to go see whether they have any goodies tempting enough to get me to clear out my points in an account or two!

As a side note, I honestly cannot believe that they're planning on starting shipping monthly boxes on the 7th.  It just seems really, *really* quick!  They must have had some super fast  -- sorry, my brain is operating with a growing screaming headache, so I can't think of any fast (or just *any*, for that matter) superheroes at the moment -- helping over there.

My replacement box finally arrived! Unfortunately, my Mary Lou-Manizer had the fingerprint of doom in it, so I'm not sure I want to use it. But hey, at least my box finally arrived. 

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ooh, good job, Birchbox:  Changing your free shipping policy to include any of the *brands* -- not just *products* -- from the October boxes?  Good way to boost shop sales!  I approve this new policy.  There have been many,*many* times when I've thought, "Y'know, I would buy this and this and this if the entire *brand* was on sale and not just that one item."  I just hope they keep it around for a few months -- and that any resulting orders don't slam the warehouse/shipping facility beyond their capacity when they're still trying to recover from the hurricane.  Time to go see whether they have any goodies tempting enough to get me to clear out my points in an account or two!

As a side note, I honestly cannot believe that they're planning on starting shipping monthly boxes on the 7th.  It just seems really, *really* quick!  They must have had some super fast  -- sorry, my brain is operating with a growing screaming headache, so I can't think of any fast (or just *any*, for that matter) superheroes at the moment -- helping over there.
What I am assuming is they are going to start shipping ASAP because they are behind because of everything and they may have gotten a head start because of the problems last month. If the warehouses have been affected in any way they might not have as much storage space and want to get things out of there.

I think making featured brands eligible for free shipping is a good idea, too. Part of falling in love with a sample is the idea you want to further explore the brand and other products. Good job BB..make that permanent, please!

I finally got around to trying the serum today, too. Is it a vanilla-y smell? I can't quite place it. I really like it and can't wait to see if it does any good. I'm with you, though... I hope I don't find it a necessary part of my routine, or I will have to make a big decision about whether or not to fork over that much money for it! Somewhat related, I really like Philosophy's "Help Me" night treatment and find it is worth the money. It's one of the only products I've ever used that has made a clear difference in the clarity and radiance of my skin.
I put it on my bf the other day (lol he secretly loves being pampered) and he said mmmmm Creamsicles! I had been trying to figure out the smell for almost a week. I think the green color threw me off.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think making featured brands eligible for free shipping is a good idea, too. Part of falling in love with a sample is the idea you want to further explore the brand and other products. Good job BB..make that permanent, please!
I agree -- much more tempting to buy stuff when you have a little freedom to choose!

Originally Posted by lovestarbrooke /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I put it on my bf the other day (lol he secretly loves being pampered) and he said mmmmm Creamsicles! I had been trying to figure out the smell for almost a week. I think the green color threw me off.
Yeah! I was thinking cream soda the last couple of days. I think the color threw me off, too.

It's awesome that you used your bf as a guinea pig, hee hee! I got my husband to get a pedicure with me a couple of times, but I don't think I could get him to put anything on his face... I don't think he even washes his face with anything other than water! If I did that, I'd have zits all over the place!

How you do like the serum? It has made my skin super duper velvety soft, but I haven't seen any visible results yet. I'm trying to decide whether I should buy the Philosophy serum I used regularly for a while and loved or spend a bit extra for this one.

Back