Birchbox: The June Box discussion

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by ValentineLissar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hhmmmm. I guess I should not use it again.  I wonder what would cause the stinging sensation? The dye? I've never tried stains before, but all the other lip products I've used never had these kinds of effects on me. 
I definitely wouldn't use it if it causes stinging and numbness. It's probably a reaction to something in it.

Originally Posted by ValentineLissar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey did anyone feel a stinging / aggressively tingling sensation when they put the Stainac on their lips? 

I put the Stainac on my lips for the first time last night and I felt my lips sting.  I normally don't wear stains and so I am not sure if this is normally supposed to happen or if I'm slightly allergic to the product.  The color did look awesome on my lips though.  Thanks in advance!
I didn't experience any stinging or numbness, so I'm assuming it's not a normal reaction. It just felt wet at first, and then the color just "sank in" and my lips became dry again, as if there was nothing on them. I think the wet feeling is the only sensation I felt while using it.

On a whim, since we've been talking about emailing companies for samples, I emailed TheBalm and told them how much I love the color we got in our boxes, and asked if they had any samples of the other two colors I could try. They replied that they didn't have samples of the other two colors but they directed me to a store in my area that does have them! Super cool of them...I will have to swing by and see if they actually do have some samples!

The Stainiac did not sting my lips nor have any other stain's I've used. I would say the tingling is a reaction to something in the stain.

Uh Oh...just signed up for a second account LOL! I hope July is awesome! 
claps.gif

Originally Posted by princess2010 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Stainiac did not sting my lips nor have any other stain's I've used. I would say the tingling is a reaction to something in the stain.
Thanks for the replies everyone!  Yeah, I think I'm going to stay away from using it on my lips. But on my fingers and cheeks, I don't feel any tingling so I don't know what's up. 

Is anyone else having issues signing in? I thought I had forgotten my password but then it says it can't even find my email now:( anyone else having issues?

I was incredibly excited to receive my first Birch Box (and a whole 3 days earlier than expected!).  Upon first opening it, it was like Christmas, but the more I've thought about the products the less I like them.

Here's what I received and my opinions of the products:

Stainiac in Beauty Queen. This is the only product that I'm still just as excited about as when I first saw it.  I love stains because my lips are incredibly dry, so I can pair them with chapstick.  I couldn't see myself using such a dark color on my cheeks though.  Definitely plan to purchase the light pink shade from the shop!

Juliette has a gun, not a perfume.  I love fragrance, but upon smelling it I realized it's not for me.  Too heavy and sultry,  I tend to go for light, airy florals.

ModCloth headband (blue deer).  I love headbands, but I can only wear them with my hair up (curly hair), and this one would just look silly worn that way.

Stila BB.  I have yet to try it because I rarely use foundation.  I'm lucky enough to have pretty great skin without much effort, so a light powder is usually more than enough.  I'm still looking forward to sampling my first BB.

Rose Water.  Again, I just don't see myself using it, as I don't have any issues with my skin and rarely wear foundation.  At least it smells nice..? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Overall I liked the box, but next month I'm hoping for products I'll get more use out of! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by LizzieC /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was incredibly excited to receive my first Birch Box (and a whole 3 days earlier than expected!).  Upon first opening it, it was like Christmas, but the more I've thought about the products the less I like them.

Here's what I received and my opinions of the products:

Stainiac in Beauty Queen. This is the only product that I'm still just as excited about as when I first saw it.  I love stains because my lips are incredibly dry, so I can pair them with chapstick.  I couldn't see myself using such a dark color on my cheeks though.  Definitely plan to purchase the light pink shade from the shop!

Juliette has a gun, not a perfume.  I love fragrance, but upon smelling it I realized it's not for me.  Too heavy and sultry,  I tend to go for light, airy florals.

ModCloth headband (blue deer).  I love headbands, but I can only wear them with my hair up (curly hair), and this one would just look silly worn that way.

Stila BB.  I have yet to try it because I rarely use foundation.  I'm lucky enough to have pretty great skin without much effort, so a light powder is usually more than enough.  I'm still looking forward to sampling my first BB.

Rose Water.  Again, I just don't see myself using it, as I don't have any issues with my skin and rarely wear foundation.  At least it smells nice..? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Overall I liked the box, but next month I'm hoping for products I'll get more use out of! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Congrats on your new BB subscription! One of the greatest things about beauty boxes (in my opinion) besides all the great stuff you get, is having the option to cruise over to the trade thread here https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/121990/birchbox-open-trade-thread and trading the things you receive that you won't use for things that you will use! Trading has added LOTS more value to each of my boxes because there is always someone willing to trade for the things you don't particularly want :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Have fun!

PS. Did you try the Stainiac on your cheeks yet? It's not bright red at all! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've been leaving feedback today.  Here's what I had to say about the Luna Bar.  I guess the "LUNA" is supposed to be all capital letters.  That's how they have it on the Birchbox website.  I've just been calling them "Luna Bars."

Rate your familiarity with the LUNA brand prior to Birchbox.
1 - Totally new to me before sampling.

When was the last time you purchased a LUNA  product? 
1 - Never.

Rate your familiarity with the LUNA Bar prior to Birchbox.

What do you think of LUNA Bar?
5 - Awesome Product

On a scale of 1-5, would you recommend LUNA Bar to your friends?
5 - Extremely Likely

Are you planning to purchase LUNA Bar after sampling through Birchbox?
2 - Yes, planning to purchase from somewhere else

Do you feel the LUNA Bar added extra value to your Birchbox?
1 - No.  It didn't see the point of it. 

Share Your Opinion:

It's small, 0.7 oz/20grams.  The full-size bars are $1.25 to $1.50 at places like CVS, Walgreens, and Wal-Mart.  I'm guessing this sample is worth about 50 cents.  I do not appreciate getting food in my Birchbox.  I subscribe for "deluxe samples", not itty bitty food samples.  I got the peanut butter Luna Bar this month.  It tasted good, much better than a lot of granola bars I've tried, but I'm still mad about getting a food sample.  It was not crunchy, which I liked when I ate it.  I really do not like crunchy granola bars.  The best thing about this sample is that I get 10 Birchbox Points for reviewing it.  I will be buying Luna Bars, but not through Birchbox.  I live 1 block from a CVS and I go to Walgreens and Wal-Mart at least 3 times a month, so I will be buying them there.  Despite the fact that I do not want food in my Birchbox, I am happy to have been introduced to Luna Bars.  It is the best granola bar I've ever tried.

Tammy

ThePeridotCricket

More Feedback.  This time it's the Comodynes.  Ick. 

Edit:

I have added this to the tiny pile of stuff to trade once I get my July Birchbox.  If anybody wants them right now, PM me.  I'm working on a trade with the tanning towlettes. 

Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towlettes
Rate your familiarity with the Comodynes brand prior to Birchbox.
1 - Totally new to me before sampling. When was the last time you purchased a Comodynes product? 
1 - Never.

Rate your familiarity with the Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette prior to Birchbox.

What do you think of the Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette?
1 - Definitely not for me On a scale of 1-5, would you recommend the Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette to your friends?
 1 - Not at all likely Are you planning to purchase Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette after sampling through Birchbox?
1 - No, not planning to purchase.  

Share Your Opinion: Self-tanners might be a good idea.  I can see how they are a great safe alternative to actually tanning the natural way, but I better not get a sample like this again or I will be phoning Birchbox and saying some very rude words about the crap they keep sending out in the boxes.  I tan, I use sunblock, I don't lay out in the sun or go to tanning beds, I do not want a fake tan.   Tammy ThePeridotCricket

Originally Posted by peridotcricket /img/forum/go_quote.gif

More Feedback.  This time it's the Comodynes.  Ick.  I have added this to the tiny pile of stuff to trade once I get my July Birchbox.  If anybody wants them right now, PM me.

Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towlettes Rate your familiarity with the Comodynes brand prior to Birchbox.

When was the last time you purchased a Comodynes product? 

1 - Never.

Rate your familiarity with the Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette prior to Birchbox.

What do you think of the Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette?1 - Definitely not for me On a scale of 1-5, would you recommend the Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette to your friends?

1 - Not at all likely

Are you planning to purchase Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette after sampling through Birchbox?

1 - No, not planning to purchase.  

Share Your Opinion: Self-tanners might be a good idea.  I can see how they are a great safe alternative to actually tanning the natural way, but I better not get a sample like this again or I will be phoning Birchbox and saying some very rude words about the crap they keep sending out in the boxes.  I tan, I use sunblock, I don't lay out in the sun or go to tanning beds, I do not want a fake tan.   Tammy ThePeridotCricket
I honestly don't think anyone has a right to say "I better not get a sample like this again or..." since we know before ever signing up that we will be receiving surprise samples each month. Some samples might not be useful to everyone, and that's just how it is. If you want to get exactly what you want and only that, then I would respectfully recommend you cancel the sub and spend your money on exactly what you want. There is also always the trade option, which I see you are already using. (I think trading is a new level of fun to the sub boxes!) It makes me sad to see people getting upset over factors that should have been clear from the start of the sub service. I'm not trying to attack you at all, and I think it's cool that you shared your opinions in the appropriate vessel. However, if I were a BB employee looking through these opinions, this would mean nothing to me. "Delete. Next!" would be my mental thought process. That said, I sincerely hope you can find happiness in your next box.

Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I honestly don't think anyone has a right to say "I better not get a sample like this again or..." since we know before ever signing up that we will be receiving surprise samples each month. Some samples might not be useful to everyone, and that's just how it is. If you want to get exactly what you want and only that, then I would respectfully recommend you cancel the sub and spend your money on exactly what you want. There is also always the trade option, which I see you are already using. (I think trading is a new level of fun to the sub boxes!) It makes me sad to see people getting upset over factors that should have been clear from the start of the sub service. I'm not trying to attack you at all, and I think it's cool that you shared your opinions in the appropriate vessel. However, if I were a BB employee looking through these opinions, this would mean nothing to me. "Delete. Next!" would be my mental thought process. That said, I sincerely hope you can find happiness in your next box.
I can see that. There are some things I think that, since they have a beauty profile system (ish), they should know - like skin tone, hair type, etc. Samples should be based around that when possible. There are some things, though, that it's just IMPOSSIBLE to know about everyone, such as whether they'd be interested in a fake tan or not. Some people loved them, some people hated them, but it's just too specific a thing to base boxes on. Think about how many questions we'd have to answer if they were even going to attempt that! XD "Do you like the color pink?" "Do you like light pink or hot pink?" "Would you wear light pink or hot pink?"

More Feedback.  This time it's the Comodynes.  Ick.  I have added this to the tiny pile of stuff to trade once I get my July Birchbox.  If anybody wants them right now, PM me. Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towlettes Rate your familiarity with the Comodynes brand prior to Birchbox. 1 - Totally new to me before sampling. When was the last time you purchased a Comodynes product?  1 - Never. Rate your familiarity with the Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette prior to Birchbox. 1 - Totally new to me before sampling. What do you think of the Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette? 1 - Definitely not for me On a scale of 1-5, would you recommend the Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette to your friends?  1 - Not at all likely Are you planning to purchase Comodynes Self-Tanning Intensive Towelette after sampling through Birchbox? 1 - No, not planning to purchase.     Share Your Opinion: Self-tanners might be a good idea.  I can see how they are a great safe alternative to actually tanning the natural way, but I better not get a sample like this again or I will be phoning Birchbox and saying some very rude words about the crap they keep sending out in the boxes.  I tan, I use sunblock, I don't lay out in the sun or go to tanning beds, I do not want a fake tan.   Tammy ThePeridotCricket
While I certainly agree in using feedback to express pleasure or displeasure in regard to Birchbox samples, I don't think "phoning and saying some very rude words" is the way to go.

You know how companies offer mystery bags? I personally feel that sub companies basically offer the same thing on a monthly basis. I really enjoyed the tan towelettes and was able to swap for more. For whatever reason, my legs stay "caspar the ghost" regardless of time spent in the sun lol. On a realistic level, not all of us are going to be thrilled by every item received, but the companies are banking on the idea that we'll discover something we like/love. What works for me, might not work for others. Barring allergies, every item sent can be used. It's just a matter of personal taste!! Hope everyone enjoyed the holiday!

Update...Jouer just responded to my email from last Thursday regarding some gloss samples:

MeHello! I am interested in purchasing several of your lip glosses, and I was wondering if you were able to provide samples of the lip colors before purchase to make sure the colors are right for me? The colors I am interested in are Peony, Mirage, and Riviera. Thanks for your time! (address included) 

Them: 
Thank you so much for your e-mail and your interest in our Moisturizing Lip Glosses.

I actually have our Peony and Mirage shade available in a mini version and I would be more than happy to mail those out to you to try.  These shades are currently out of stock, but will be available once again next week. Stay tuned!
Unfortunately, we don't have our Riviera shade available in a mini, but it is a great anyone can wear sheer red.

I'll get your mini's together right away and make sure they get out into the mail for you shortly. Hope you enjoy!

Best wishes,

Sweet! I have been wanting to try those colors :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Well, they have the right to say it but that doesn't mean anyone is going to listen. The point of these reviews is for BB to use them for market research for the companies that supply the products; putting complaints about contents into "feedback" won't get you far.  You can complain directly about your box contents, but it really is a crapshoot. If you can't live with that, then MV is right about canceling and finding something that works better for you!

Originally Posted by MyriadVoices /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Originally Posted by nelliebelle1197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, they have the right to say it but that doesn't mean anyone is going to listen. The point of these reviews is for BB to use them for market research for the companies that supply the products; putting complaints about contents into "feedback" won't get you far.  You can complain directly about your box contents, but it really is a crapshoot. If you can't live with that, then MV is right about canceling and finding something that works better for you!
Definitely agree with that one. We receive boxes and give feedback on items, which BB turns over to the companies and they don't have to spend X amount of money doing market research. So we kind of end up being guinea pigs for them. I think the profiles we fill out are more tied into that aspect, than personal choice/preference. I've been very satisfied with all my boxes received on both accounts, even when I didn't want some of the items. Reuse, repurpose them!! Gift or swap them, that way it's a win-win. I like that I can now make beauty bags and spoil my gf's with them on occasions, without having to spend a booty ton of money. Lol, I can't really get any of them to get on the sub wagon like me, because they're getting their own personallized goodie bags from me! I could drop more of my subs, but part of my problem is the trade forum lol. I can always find something I didn't get or want more of and offload other stuff there.

Back