Birchbox - The March boxes

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah! Honestly, I haven't been disappointed really except with the December box.  I still have the show stoppers! I never used to them to this day but who knows. I love birchbox but neons! I would try it but who knows.

Originally Posted by Lychae /img/forum/go_quote.gif

go to birchbox's main website,

left side it says "NEW"

click then expand to "view all"

you'll it almost all the way at the bottom of the page.

what did you get in dec box?  im trying to remember dec.. hahaaaaa

Yeah! Honestly, I haven't been disappointed really except with the December box.  I still have the show stoppers! I never used to them to this day but who knows. I love birchbox but neons! I would try it but who knows.

Could you imagine someone who isn't a teen who is in their mid to late 20's signing up for a regular BB getting neons? I couldn't imagine ever my 42 year old mom using a neon nail polish ever. Just muted nudes, and some other brighter colors but not neons. I think that BB is too diverse though to put neon in their regular BB. I bet a lot of subscribers would be upset.

Originally Posted by yanelib27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I feel the same way, that would go up on the BB trade thread for sure!

showstoppers, benefit POREprofessional, Olie biologique huile moderne, yogini, eboost (which tasted sour imo, wasn't a hit for me), and the BB pink jour lipgloss which I think I may buy because it was so beautiful!

Originally Posted by Dena Fletcher /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what did you get in dec box?  im trying to remember dec.. hahaaaaa

I am 27 and wouldn't mind a neon. It's nice to try at least once, you might even like it.

My mom is 55 and I could see her wearing a neon too.

Could you imagine someone who isn't a teen who is in their mid to late 20's signing up for a regular BB getting neons? I couldn't imagine ever my 42 year old mom using a neon nail polish ever. Just muted nudes, and some other brighter colors but not neons. I think that BB is too diverse though to put neon in their regular BB. I bet a lot of subscribers would be upset.

I'm a pretty neutral girl but with fun things..I loved the incoco nail decals in September. I bought a few. Neon just isn't my thing.

Originally Posted by jayeldubya /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Am I weird for actually liking the neon nail polish colors and not the pink glitter one?

No, I like them too!

Originally Posted by jayeldubya /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Am I weird for actually liking the neon nail polish colors and not the pink glitter one?

Not at all! I like the neons better than the glitter but I still would enjoy the glitter for a fun change up. I only own 1 glitter polish.

I hope I don't get any boscia blotting linens. I have 2 of the sample packs & 1 peppermint pack that I need to use.

So is everything in the TV box the same? Or do they have a variety of boxes for that as well? Just curious. I haven't been a Birchbox member long enough to have ever received a "special" box before.

I'm 30 and I love neon nail polish! I would wear all of those colors except for the yellow since yellow looks odd with my skintone. I think that it's nice that they have a variety, because I have way too many nudes and neutrals. I prefer fun colors I can wear in the summertime! I'm actually really stoked for those colors and would be super excited if I get one in my regular box! *shrug* But they should probably have a question that asks if people prefer bold colors or neutrals somewhere in the profile, so that way they can gauge people better. 

I feel you about being bummed when others don't fall in love with their boxes.  It's such a fun concept, I want everyone to be happy.  But as we've seen on here, one person's dream box could be another person's nightmare.  Thank goodness for the trading options, it makes many people happier with their final outcomes, I'm sure.  I'd love to do it if I lived full time in the U.S. but the hassle of sending it from abroad would make it too expensive and I'm only in the States for a few days every other month and standing in line at the post office isn't a chore I love, lol.

I am currently signed up for as many Beauty subs as I can find.  I'm loving Beauty Army, loved the first  December Glam Bag but am not so excited about February's, and have a slew of other ones waiting for me to pick them up.  I tried to do the BeautyFix one, but it wasn't accepting my coupon code and I really wanted to get the 19.99 price without having to fight with them over a refund on my debit card.  I may try again, their products look amazing.  Sindulge, Beauty Box 5, Test Tube, Beauty Bar Sample Society, Julep and VoxBox the Love Box are others that I'm involved in as of the moment.  I'm going to try them all out for a few months and then whittle down the subs so I can use some of that money to actually buy full size products!  I've definitely been bitten by the sample bug, and I'm not able to go ask for samples and I'm a bit shy, so I don't mind paying for them.  I've had Birchboxes that are worth over $30 and to me it's worth it to have the extra second box just to be able to double my chances of a great product, like for February I got both the Dermologica and the Beauty Blender which I had been wanting, that alone was worth the 10 bucks plus I got all the other samples including Violent Lips and the crazy Eye Rock eyeliners that I've got to try, just for kicks.  Trying all of the new things in the boxes has got me buying more beauty products as well, as another poster mentioned, and this community has turned me on to some great products and brands too.

I'm going to keep at least two of my Birchboxes for now, I'm supplying a few less fortunate friends with goodies here and they're loving it too, so it's fun to share the beauty wealth.  A friend here was getting the third Birchbox and I'd bring it back here for her but she wants to drop it because she prefers MyGlam, so I'll have to decide what to do with her sub, maybe give it to one of my friends here.  Products here in Belize tend to cost 3 times the amount in the States due to importing costs and duties and are usually older, having sat on the shelf for a long time because people don't want to pay that much.  Plus, many things just aren't available.  So it's a good gift to give to my girlfriends.  I love sharing what I love with people I love.  And quite a few are hardworking Moms and don't get to spoil themselves very much, so I love to be there to give them a little pick me up now and again.  It makes it fun to look at everything and think, "Ooh, this would be perfect for this friend, and I know she would love this nail color . . ."

I would be so psyched if I got a neon!!!  I'd much prefer that to the pink glitter (pink, yuck).  And I am WAY past my teenage years.

http://shine.yahoo.com/birchbox-co-founder-katia-beauchamp-spring-2012-beauty-155800279.html

for the linkaphobic:

Warmer temperatures and milder weather are right around the corner, so make sure you're well-stocked on some of the season's hottest beauty trends. Since this is the year for a 1980s flashback, we're seeing neons and brights popping up in the fashion department as well as at the beauty counter. I talked to Katia Beauchamp, Co-Founder of Birchbox, to find out her beauty picks for spring and also get some tips on lightening up our makeup bags for the season.

Here's the scoop:

Hot Beauty Trends for 2012

When it comes to hair, the messy, tousled look is your best bet for day or night. Katia says that you need to use a good texturing spray to make it look "effortless." Use a dry shampoo and a texturing spray to create that slightly-messy coif and you'll be good to go. She says an easy way to achieve this look is to, "let your hair dry in a bun to create a more natural wave. You can also use hot rollers to create more texture." Her product pick to achieve this fuss-free look: Oribe Texturing Spray (also comes in a travel size).

Another trend to play with this season is the cat eye - with a twist. This is the season for the "1950s cat eye re-imagined," says Katia. She recommends doing the cat eye with a pop of color, not just with a plain black pencil. Play with neons and brighter hues to play up the eye area and show off your flirty side.

If neons for the eyes aren't your thing, brighten up with your look with neon-colored nail polish. Katia says the Birchbox team is crazy about neon nail polish this spring - you might even find it in your own Birchbox shipment this season. "I love the neon polishes. It's just so fun to see that teal and other bright colors when you're sitting at the computer. It's like wearing statement jewelry." If you're not too keen on sporting neon colors at the office -- or want a more demure look -- she recommends trying something like a "purple neon that won't be as crazy."

This spring, Katia says, "We're obsessed with brows! Bold brows filled in to frame your face," are the way to go. You'll want to maintain your natural arch and just use a brow powder and gel to create that bolder, just-off-the-runway look. The keyword here is: Definiton. Her product pick for this trend is Anastasia Brow Gel. You can also pick up a complete kit that includes a brow powder and other brow-shaping essentials.

Other Tips for Lightening Up Your Makeup Bag for Spring

It's almost time to ditch the heavy foundation for a few months but you don't have to stick with mineral makeup to lighten up your look. Katia says, "We love tinted moisturizer. It gives just enough coverage." You can also get away with a good beauty cream that contains luminous ingredients.

Trading multiple products for all-in-one beauty goodies is also a great way to lighten up for spring. "When I'm in a rush, I love multi-purpose products", says Katia. Her top picks for the season include bright, cream blushes, and highlighters like Benefit's Watt's Up, a "soft focus" highlighter you can use to accentuate your cheeks, brow bone, and even down your nose to create a natural, dewy look. She says this is also one of her favorite products for the season and perfect for any busy mom or working professional on the go.

Right now I'm signed up for two Birchboxes (one regular, one TV), Julep, Beautyfix, & Sindulge. I signed up for the Julep & Sindulge because I got them for a penny each. Beautyfix I got for $19.99 but only after having to call customer service & having them honor the coupon code that is on their blog.

• Birchbox I love so far. I wasn't thrilled with my Feb box but I do love a lot of products that other people get & they make me curious enough to buy them for myself. I bought the Walgreens beauty blender & am in love!, I really like the Juicy blemish clearing stuff & plan on ordering some as soon as  save up enough points. Also, I bought the eyebrow pencil, Jouer  lip gloss, & Zoya nail polish in Izzy. I LOVE all three. I wouldn't have known about any of these products if I didn't have birchbox & stalk these thread discussions daily. I'm going to cancel one of my TV box account after this month but only because I can't afford it right now. Hopefully I will be able to have 2 boxes a month sooner than later.
  • Julep is wonderful but I will probably suspend it every other month. I only paint my toe nails because I'm way to hard on my finger nails. So nail polishes end up lasting me a very long time. I don't need 2-3 new nail polishes a month. My collection is already pretty extensive & if I keep it up a lot will end up going bad before I'm able to use a decent amount & then I will just be wasting money.
  • I'm almost positive I will cancel or at least suspend Beautyfix. After finding out that they are only adding 10 new items I'm somewhat disappointed. All of the items I got were full size & since I only ordered them last month I have plenty left. Also, their customer service is less than satisfying.
  • Sindulge I have no clue about. I will just have to wait & see how it all goes.

I'm super excited about getting nail polish in my TV box & would love to get some in my regular BB too. Neon is an awesome color on toes during the summer & you can pull it off at pretty much any age. You can hide them when it's appropriate & flaunt it while wearing sandals when you want. Win-win to me!

I signed up for Julep and Sindulge as well. I think I will cancel both of them and just keep my 2 BB subs, maybe add a 3rd BB in their place. Julep isn't worth $19.99 in my opinion. You get 2-3 new polishes BUT they are only .25 oz, not .5 oz like Essie, Zoya, OPI, etc. Don't get me wrong, their polish is really nice, but for $20 I could go buy two bottles at Ulta, spend less money, and get double the polish.

Sindulge.. I will just have to see how they end up. They are pretty new so I haven't really heard much about them. They are $12 a month, so if they end up being better than BB I might keep that sub. So far I have had good experience with their customer service. I couldn't get throught to have my consultation so I emailed them and they contacted me right away to do it on the spot. I like that my box/bag will be customized and the rep. even said she will put a dark spot corrector in my samples for me (something I need but haven't been lucky enough to get in my BB)!

Originally Posted by Amber Barrera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Right now I'm signed up for two Birchboxes (one regular, one TV), Julep, Beautyfix, & Sindulge. I signed up for the Julep & Sindulge because I got them for a penny each. Beautyfix I got for $19.99 but only after having to call customer service & having them honor the coupon code that is on their blog.

• Birchbox I love so far. I wasn't thrilled with my Feb box but I do love a lot of products that other people get & they make me curious enough to buy them for myself. I bought the Walgreens beauty blender & am in love!, I really like the Juicy blemish clearing stuff & plan on ordering some as soon as  save up enough points. Also, I bought the eyebrow pencil, Jouer  lip gloss, & Zoya nail polish in Izzy. I LOVE all three. I wouldn't have known about any of these products if I didn't have birchbox & stalk these thread discussions daily. I'm going to cancel one of my TV box account after this month but only because I can't afford it right now. Hopefully I will be able to have 2 boxes a month sooner than later.
  • Julep is wonderful but I will probably suspend it every other month. I only paint my toe nails because I'm way to hard on my finger nails. So nail polishes end up lasting me a very long time. I don't need 2-3 new nail polishes a month. My collection is already pretty extensive & if I keep it up a lot will end up going bad before I'm able to use a decent amount & then I will just be wasting money.
  • I'm almost positive I will cancel or at least suspend Beautyfix. After finding out that they are only adding 10 new items I'm somewhat disappointed. All of the items I got were full size & since I only ordered them last month I have plenty left. Also, their customer service is less than satisfying.
  • Sindulge I have no clue about. I will just have to wait & see how it all goes.

I'm super excited about getting nail polish in my TV box & would love to get some in my regular BB too. Neon is an awesome color on toes during the summer & you can pull it off at pretty much any age. You can hide them when it's appropriate & flaunt it while wearing sandals when you want. Win-win to me!

Back