• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to MakeUp Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Black Friday/Cyber Monday 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not having the best of luck with my black friday/cyber monday purchases.  My Urban Decay package was empty, my Darby Smart order had a wrong item, my sephora cyber monday bag was missing an item and was pretty lackluster, my birchbox order looks like it was run over, and my L'occitane box was probably cancelled (who knows? they haven't sent any communication).

It's weird because I'm a pretty regular online shopper and I've only had one mail issue prior to this.  Kudos to Urban Decay and Darby Smart for responding quickly and making things right.  Boo to L'occitane for not even bothering to send any communication.

I'm probably not going to contact Sephora and Birchbox as the issues seem pretty minor in comparison.  The only part of my Bbox order that was damaged was the Conscious Collective box and it seems silly to complain about the box being damaged when the actual contents are fine.  I just really like the Bbox limited edition boxes and like using them for storage.

My BF orders are trickling in, and no problems so far! My UD Ammo palette arrived safe and sound, and my Diptyque order was so beautifully packaged I just want to slide it under the Christmas tree!

UD eyeliner order should be here Monday and me Sephora orders came earlier in the week - all present and accounted for. So now just waiting on Coastal Scents, UD Vice LTD (which has shipped) and the indie orders I made.

My first UD Hookup card was good for $20 off my purchase. It is not redeemable until January 1st, so I have plenty of time to decide what I want. If some of the Holiday kits go on sale, that might be a good contender... can't wait to see what else I win!

Had my first bad luck with my last Black Friday order. I ordered something for my secret Santa from one of my favorite stores. When I ordered everything was instock and ok. The next day, I received an email that one of my items was OOS and would not ship until 12/16/14. They were going to ship out half the order now and half later. I thought bummer, but ok, I'll just put a note that a last gift would arive later for my Santee.

Forward to a couple of hours ago, I just got home from picking up last minute wrapping paper and sweets to include in my gift. I checked my email and they re-emailed me that my back ordered item won't be shipped out until 2015. As in March 2015. -_- /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Seriously peeved because when you go on the website, you can still purchase the item and it states it will ship out in December. Grr...

Gonna email them to see if I can just exchange the item for something else before my original half order ships. I knew I should have just walked in to the store and grabbed them but I was super tired and "stored" out to go to another shop.

My UD Electric Palette order.... I'm not even sure what's going on with it anymore. They emailed that they couldn't process it. I called and gave them my fiance's card info instead. Then they emailed that my order had been canceled as requested (I hadn't requested that.) Then I called and they said they'd do a new order, but would have to charge me the full amount and then do a partial refund after the order goes out. I said I'm fine with that. They say my total now is [full price] and my refund will be for [less than I expected, because they WILL honor the Cyber Monday price but they will NOT honor the UD20 20% discount]. I say I understand, but am not interested if they are unable to match the pricing of my original order. I ask that my order remains cancelled. Okay, sounds fine, no problem, I thank the agent for her time, we both move on with our lives...  I then receive a new email thanking me for my order for a full price Electric Palette.

I originally had a typo in my card info, so the inital mixup is totally my fault. I appreciate that they were super nice, and willing to honor their sale price later for me, and apologized several times for something that wasn't actually their fault. I don't understand why they didn't send out individual discount codes if the UD20 code was intended only for specific customers. I don't understand why the opposite of what I ask for happens when I call them. And I don't understand why they have such terrible, terrible hold music.

@@TooMuchElectric oh no that's awful! I hope it works out... You need that palette, it's so fun! You'd think UD would have awesome hold music (^_-)

Got a big    :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />   when catching up on this thread today - my business packaging is apparently being used by the company I purchased it from for their new ad-banners, and I just got one served to me here on MUT!  (See pink arrows...)

Kind of an interesting "when worlds collide"...
Thats awesome!

@@TooMuchElectric - my nieces turned me on to a british band with similar eyeshadows...

http://www.sleekmakeup.com/acid-i-divine-palett-acid-i-divine-palette

I haven't used it myself but I did gift it - and shipping was very reasonable considering its coming from the UK.  I think its a decent dupe for UD electric for 11.99!  They have a tonne of other crazy fun coloured palettes.  I think it took just over a week to arrive in the USA from London.

I've read that their pout paints are similar to liptar too but priced better (and not as many colours).  

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of my Black Friday orders came in while I was out of town this week. Yippee! Ulta's sampler included a foil of hair oil, a foil of bb cream, and (I think) a perfume sample. My Sephora order swapped out a cleanser sample I had added for a face cream, boo. I don't need moisturizer, those are not comparable samples! I also got Art of Shaving samples and foundation samples plus a mini bottle of Givenchy Dahlia Divin.

I got my Urban Decay Ammo palette just fine and today I played around with Shattered. I have been wanting a blue eyeshadow for ages! I'm almost as excited for Mildew. I broke out the $10 Clean rollerball trio from my Sephora order. I have only tried the White Woods so far but I love it. I hope the others smell just as great.

My ModCloth order was delayed and won't arrive until Tuesday, boo. My Body Shop order arrived but I sent it to my boyfriend's house since half of the stuff is gifts for his family. I have a job interview Tuesday and I am terrified. After it's over I will get to try on my new dresses, test my Bed Head shampoo from Ulta, and body washes/scrubs/butters from The Body Shop. Wednesday morning I am making bacon with breakfast. Focusing on the light at the end of the tunnel. I always get so darn nervous!

I'm not having the best of luck with my black friday/cyber monday purchases.  My Urban Decay package was empty, my Darby Smart order had a wrong item, my sephora cyber monday bag was missing an item and was pretty lackluster, my birchbox order looks like it was run over, and my L'occitane box was probably cancelled (who knows? they haven't sent any communication).

It's weird because I'm a pretty regular online shopper and I've only had one mail issue prior to this.  Kudos to Urban Decay and Darby Smart for responding quickly and making things right.  Boo to L'occitane for not even bothering to send any communication.

I'm probably not going to contact Sephora and Birchbox as the issues seem pretty minor in comparison.  The only part of my Bbox order that was damaged was the Conscious Collective box and it seems silly to complain about the box being damaged when the actual contents are fine.  I just really like the Bbox limited edition boxes and like using them for storage.
Sorry to hear that.

I placed an order on Cyber Monday on ulta website for the lorac palettes, and had no update email from them at all, but usps has emailed me (I registered with usps) yesterday that they picked up a package on Sunday and it is scheduled to deliver on Friday. I am pretty sure this is ulta package because I don't have any order coming in. I had called Ulta CS on Saturday, they said they didn't know when they are shipping, and just couldn't answer any question I had specifically. They just said they are receiving 6000 orders everyday since black friday. (Good for them.) I still have not got any email from ulta but hope this will ease your mind a bit? Hope your orders get shipped soon-- 

My UD order says it was delivered yesterday and left at my door.  It wasn't.  It was only 2 eyeliners so, I am sure the small package got lost in the delivery shuffle.  I had two boxes that were delivered by my UPS guy yesterday.  I was here when he came.  What are the chances my UD package will come today? 

Edited to ask:  Did anyone else just get the two liners and can tell me what kind of packaging it arrived in?  If my guy comes again today, I want to catch him and let him know.
I ordered 2 liners from UD and they came shipped in a box about 1000 times larger than needed.  It was definitely a much bigger box than I thought it would be.

My Sephora Black Friday order was just delivered by 2 UPS guys... Driving a U-Haul truck. I'm so confused.

ETA: they also rang the doorbell (first time in months) and yelled "UPS" through the door...
I just saw a U-Haul with a UPS guy unloading it when I was on my way to work!! (And remembered your post on this thread.) I just tweeted UPS and they answered that it was to manage the increased volume through the month of December. 

Is it just me or does 6000 not seem like a lot? Really Ulta is a fairly large company *and should be able to get those orders filled.

Is it just me or does 6000 not seem like a lot? Really Ulta is a fairly large company *and should be able to get those orders filled.
I agree!  I work in a warehouse and we manage to ship out thousands and thousands of parts daily with a pretty small crew of pullers and shippers.  I don't think 6000 is very many orders for a company as big as Ulta.

Edited to fix my horrible grammar......

@@TooMuchElectric - my nieces turned me on to a british band with similar eyeshadows...

http://www.sleekmakeup.com/acid-i-divine-palett-acid-i-divine-palette

I haven't used it myself but I did gift it - and shipping was very reasonable considering its coming from the UK.  I think its a decent dupe for UD electric for 11.99!  They have a tonne of other crazy fun coloured palettes.  I think it took just over a week to arrive in the USA from London.

I've read that their pout paints are similar to liptar too but priced better (and not as many colours).  

Not sure how much the shipping was, but Sleek is also on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Sleek-Divine-Acid-Eyeshadow-Palette/dp/B003DBUKTY/

It's $3 more expensive, but shipping is free

Latest posts

Back