Conscious Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are any of you vegetarians? This box is great for that. I enjoy natural products too, and I know a lot about them, but I'm not militantly nature-oriented, so it's a great way to make myself use quality/green products.

Originally Posted by Wida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Climb On skin repair salve works awesome on your cuticles!
I think it is a great balm/salve, I've only used it so far on cuts I got from shaving.

Originally Posted by snllama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didnt get the worry doll :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

My salve is rock hard. It looks more like a little round thing of soap... 
Send them an email, and they will send you the missing doll. I found that my banana bar was expired and the glob paint was missing. I sent them a quick email, and now they are sending me the missing paint and a non expired Banana Bar. 

Send them an email about the salve!  I really like it.  I am also in love with the Parsley All Purpose cleaner.  It smells so good!  I clean my son's high chair with it and it does a good job and I know that there aren't any chemicals that will hurt him.  I may have to get a full size of this one.

I feel guilty since i got my box for free!

What is the consistency of the salve for you guys? 

It really reminds me of butter.  Soft butter.  It's got an oily consistency and seems to start to melt almost as soon as I touch it.

Mine is hard at first but it melts when I touch it. I'm sure it's not to be rock solid but the little piece of paper in the bag says expect inconsistencies in texture and color. I hope you don't take that to mean I think you should just deal with it, 
icon_redface.gif
 if you're unhappy with how it is I totally agree and say e-mail them.

I emailed them and they said they would send me replacement products for the worry doll and the salve and some extras! 

Im so thinking about getting a subscription. I just hope I dont get stuck with a ton of non-vegan food items! This month the only non-vegan food was the kettle corn and the salve is not safe for anyone who doesn't use beeswax.

Alright so here is my review. Took me forever and half to do. But Im glad I took time with it since it made me realize that the box didn't have too many things in it that interested me. Plus, I figured the value to be just over $20. Not that great when the cost of the box is $19. If it was just $12 I'd more likely to want to sub. 

I do love the lip glaze, all purpose cleaner, Cladestino Banana Bar, SeedBallz and the Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel. But I don't think it would have been worth $19 to get those few things and be left with all the extra random stuff. Plus, I couldn't eat the popcorn. Who knows how many products in the future I won't be able to use. 

http://mesjoiesdevivre.blogspot.com/2012/04/conscious-box-april-2012.html

So after I posted my review I got a comment from someone that must work for Conscious Box.

I mentioned in my review that the value is low and almost equal to what we paid. And since I found so few products that I was genuinely interested in Im not sure I'd have been happy if I had paid for the box. I don't think it would have been worth it to pay almost $20 to find out about the products I liked when I could buy all the full-sized versions of those products for not even $15 total. And this is what they said:

Quote: Thanks for the detailed and thorough review! However I always feel somewhat disapointed when people dont see any value in the work it takes us to put these boxes togethor and source out conscious companies. In addition, we put a lot of effort into making sure its a wonderful experience. Our special window box costs us nearly $2.00 to make and is completely sustainable. Shipping also costs us upwards of $9.50

I don't know. What do you guys think? I don't think I said I don't value the work, I think monetary value and the value of the service are two separate things... :/

Guess I can't keep everyone happy. At least I was honest.

The free box marketing sure worked on me. My brother and I are going to split the price of a monthly box, since we each found about half of the items personally appealing or useful. All the beauty products are automatically for me, food items are for him unless it's cheese or chocolate. He really likes the unusual stuff, and the super "granola" stuff, so to speak. He was fascinated with the blueberry paint and the seedballz (I love that these are handmade by developmentally disabled adults). For whoever commented to snllama, we both loved the window box and it is fun to get a heavy box, which accounts for the shipping cost.

So after I posted my review I got a comment from someone that must work for Conscious Box.

I mentioned in my review that the value is low and almost equal to what we paid. And since I found so few products that I was genuinely interested in Im not sure I'd have been happy if I had paid for the box. I don't think it would have been worth it to pay almost $20 to find out about the products I liked when I could buy all the full-sized versions of those products for not even $15 total. And this is what they said:

I don't know. What do you guys think? I don't think I said I don't value the work, I think monetary value and the value of the service are two separate things... :/

I think that is a weird response. I read all of your reviews, and I think you are honest and thoughtful. Sure, they put a lot of work into the box, but if you don't find value in it, then you shouldn't have to say nice things. 

That response kind of makes me : at them. Don't be so defensive, not everyone will like your product, just like every other business. 

That type of response from Conscious Box does not sit well with me. I liked your review very much and agreed with the analysis.

I feel the history of expired products sent to customers, promising all vegan products for certain months and not delivering on their promise, and of course this months shipping debacle - the value of their work is not consistent at times. However, I understand that their service in presenting the idea of both the sustainability of the box and the integrity of the companies used to procure samples.

Yes, as a consumer I recognize the value of both but in the end I'm still the consumer and if I was to judge the service I'm purchasing I will judge on the value of samples first - (which not everyone in my household can eat - that factor detracts from value), then the box comes last. All consumers of course judge differently the value of their purchase. I'll give them points for the companies they work with and the samples but the actual box to me is just part of the branding - a great bonus of purchasing their service.

Also, still reiterating - mentioning shipping after their last shipment was not worth the $9.50 they stated is kinda ballsy on their part. I actually canceled my subscription after my second month due to finding out the box they stated on facebook was vegan was not, and the shipping odyssey turned me off.

Yeah I remember seeing somewhere that we'd be happy since the entire box was vegan this month, but half of the products had beeswax (i do use bee products, so not an issue for me, but I dont think a company should consider those products vegan) and the popcorn clearly had milk. 

Maybe if I had someone else to enjoy the other half of the box (like sleepykat) I'd be more inclined to purchase it. But as it is right now it wouldn't be a good investment for me.

They have posted several times on their facebook in reply to people and in posts that a box for a particular month is all vegan. Then when the box ships and you're already charged for the box, there's an oops where sorry post, and then we are notified the box is in fact not all vegan.

It's happened for more than one month? That is really frustrating!! Too bad they can't use a survey like GoodeBox uses to ensure that their vegan customers are happy. Two separate boxes subbing out the non-vegan items wouldn't be that hard. Oogie's has a vegan popcorn flavor, I bet Climb On! has a vegan offering, as well as all the other brands. I bet they'd be more than happy to supply two different products if it meant more possible consumers.

I planted my Seedballz today.  I'm such a nerd, but I'm super excited to see what pops up from them.  I love the idea and may end up ordering more of them.

Latest posts

Back