Conscious Box

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by yousoldtheworld /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL, maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like I'm the only one not freaked out by things like "Best by" dates.  No, it shouldn't have been sent out...but I'm still going to eat it even if mine says "Best by March". (Assuming that it looks okay, smells okay, tastes okay).  

Side effect of growing up poor, maybe, but I've learned that companies lean way to the over-cautious side when it comes to dates, to cover their butts just in case, but most things are fine well past the "best by" date.  It's best by, not "eat by or die".  Things with a true strict expiration date like milk or meat will say "use or freeze by", which sounds similar to "best by" but really isn't, and I do trust my senses more than I trust any projected date.

But yeah, it shouldn't have been sent out.
I don't think its a side effect of growing up poor! I completely agree with what you said.

My family has worked in the food market for years; we used to sell fresh produce and make packaged slaws and things like that. And the best by date is normally for the retailer not the consumer. They need to take it off their shelves after the best by date is all. Even if you eat food with mold on it you almost never will get sick. The real dangerous bacterias and molds aren't the kind that are found in our homes but would have already come with the food or if you mishandle the food in anyway. 

The quality and shelf life of food that does not require refrigeration can be a year or longer from that best by date. 

LOL, maybe I'm crazy, but I feel like I'm the only one not freaked out by things like "Best by" dates.  No, it shouldn't have been sent out...but I'm still going to eat it even if mine says "Best by March". (Assuming that it looks okay, smells okay, tastes okay).  

Side effect of growing up poor, maybe, but I've learned that companies lean way to the over-cautious side when it comes to dates, to cover their butts just in case, but most things are fine well past the "best by" date.  It's best by, not "eat by or die".  Things with a true strict expiration date like milk or meat will say "use or freeze by", which sounds similar to "best by" but really isn't, and I do trust my senses more than I trust any projected date.

It doesn't freak me out, either. My husband and I are about to eat something that is Best By April 15! My brother used to have vending machines with snack foods. We always ate the ones that didn't get bought by their Best By date.

Normally, I'm okay with food a bit past the best by date, as long as it still looks okay, but I just recently, in the last few months, had food poisoning. Then a few weeks later (about two weeks ago now) I had an allergic reaction to a random food that I had no clue I was allergic to (scariest thing ever) so I refuse to take any chances currently. I'm not having the best of luck with food. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />( The allergic reaction incident made me afraid of all food for over a week, I barely ate, and I'm still very weary. Maybe I'll get back to my trusting self again one day. 
smile.gif
 lol.

Originally Posted by HelloLeilani /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Normally, I'm okay with food a bit past the best by date, as long as it still looks okay, but I just recently, in the last few months, had food poisoning. Then a few weeks later (about two weeks ago now) I had an allergic reaction to a random food that I had no clue I was allergic to (scariest thing ever) so I refuse to take any chances currently. I'm not having the best of luck with food. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />( The allergic reaction incident made me afraid of all food for over a week, I barely ate, and I'm still very weary. Maybe I'll get back to my trusting self again one day. 
smile.gif
 lol.
I don't blame you!  I got sick from a virus on the same day I happened to be eating a lot of mashed potatoes...well, that was three years ago and I still won't touch the things, even though they weren't what made me sick.  It was the association!

I've eaten things well past the "best by" date, eaten cheap things, damaged things, etc. my entire life and I've never been ill from food...except for once from an expensive restaurant. Go figure! LOL.

Also, I just now used the Juice Beauty peel and my face is bright red, like I have a sunburn, and has been that way for the last half hour. I hope it goes away! My face looks horrible. 
icon_eek.gif
 It says for sensitive skin and my skin isn't sensitive in the least. I had zero issues with the DDF in the Sample Society box that a lot of others are having issues with. I just slathered my face with argan oil, as that seems to heal everything with me, and the redness went down only a little bit. Hope I wake up looking normal. 
icon_lol.gif

I don't blame you!  I got sick from a virus on the same day I happened to be eating a lot of mashed potatoes...well, that was three years ago and I still won't touch the things, even though they weren't what made me sick.  It was the association!

I've eaten things well past the "best by" date, eaten cheap things, damaged things, etc. my entire life and I've never been ill from food...except for once from an expensive restaurant. Go figure! LOL.
It's wild how traumatic that allergic reaction was. Not being able to breathe, with a swollen tongue and etc., really messed me up. It's really weird how scared of food I am right now. I'm hoping with time it will get better. I've been eating like a picky 3 year old the last almost two weeks and that is so not me. lol. I guess the good part is hopefully I will lose a few extra pounds until I find my love of food again. 
icon_lol.gif

Ang omg, I'd be so sad if I got sick after mashed taters. I loves them. 

Originally Posted by HelloLeilani /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, I just now used the Juice Beauty peel and my face is bright red, like I have a sunburn, and has been that way for the last half hour. I hope it goes away! My face looks horrible. 
icon_eek.gif
 It says for sensitive skin and my skin isn't sensitive in the least. I had zero issues with the DDF in the Sample Society box that a lot of others are having issues with. I just slathered my face with argan oil, as that seems to heal everything with me, and the redness went down only a little bit. Hope I wake up looking normal. 
icon_lol.gif
Aww :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  I haven't tried the Juice Beauty one yet, but I often get redness after peels/glycolic products.  It has always gone away overnight, though, and my skin always looks and feels awesome in the morning. Hopefully yours will do the same? I know how irritating that is - I once used a bar of soap containing activated charcoal and evening primrose oil, and my skin was bright red for three days!  
icon_cry.gif

oh my god jenna!!! I cant wait any longer. It isn't even possible for the truck to have not arrived to DC. 70 whole miles and we are going on the 6th day! Just scan my damn package already!! Unless the driver got kidnapped or died of a heart attack I'm getting pissed. Let me know if yours updates. I signed up for delivery notifications, but still keep checking the website like a crazy person.

Obviously no fault of Conscious Box they have no control over Fedex being douches! But every time I vow not to look at a box's content it takes ages to get to me and I start going a bit insane. Probably so bad for this box since it contains FOOD. lol

I don't think it's a side effect of growing up poor either, I had this discussion with my dad the other day when the "Best Buy" date was past a a couple of days, he said it would be fine to eat since it's for the retailer, when they need to sell then and is still fine to eat. Like you said if it needs to be consume by a certain date it would say "use by"

I really hope my package comes today it's been a state over for like 5 days, says it's the delivery date is today so I'm hoping it's true.

As long as it's not dairy, I'll generally eat things passed their expiration date. My parents have a jar of jelly from 2005 they are still working on lmao, and we've never gotten sick from it. 

Also my box has been in my state since the 14th, and I find it hilarious at this point that it still isn't here. I could've drove back and forth to get it like...50 times by now. 

Finally got my box - after its long adventure in Jersey. With the shipping aside, I enjoyed many products - the kettle corn was fantastic. However, while munching my way through the box I also came across the Banana Bar with the March 2012 date and was turned off right away and the paint was missing as well - I emailed them this morning hoping for replacements. However, from what I'm reading above it looks like I'll get similar responses to the banana bar.

I actually just got over a stomach virus - so a tad bit worried about eating expired goods but I do understand that the expiration dates usually are cautionary. For those who ate the "expired" bannana bars, how did it taste? look? I really want to try it but.....theres a part of me that screams no.

I got my box today, though I wasn't expecting it until Saturday.  My banana bar had a best by date of July 2012...and it was really good. No ingredients but ripe bananas.

And i'm happy with the box!  I like the variety.

^ Glad to hear you liked your box! I just ordered my first ever Conscious Box which just happens to be a "Mystery" box. I have no idea when it will ship or what to expect! Any way you can post a pic or list the items you received?
wub.gif

Originally Posted by Scawolita /img/forum/go_quote.gif

^ Glad to hear you liked your box! I just ordered my first ever Conscious Box which just happens to be a "Mystery" box. I have no idea when it will ship or what to expect! Any way you can post a pic or list the items you received?
wub.gif
Yeah!  I will actually post pics of all the products I got on my blog when I get home from work tonight (link is in my signature), so check there late tonight/in the morning for pictures.  As for contents, here are some of the things I received.

Juice Beauty Green Apple peel, Oogie's Gourmet Kettle Corn, Planet Dishwashing soap, Parsley Plus All Surface Cleaner, Glob natural paint powder, Cloud 9 Raw Fudge, Climb On! skin repair cream, HImalayan Crystal Salt, generationMe laundry soap, SeedBallz, a little worry doll, and some small samples of lip glaze, soap, conditioner, etc. And coupons.

All sounds very useful! I especially would love to try the Green Apple peel! Thanks for the info
arco.gif

Finally got my box today, I like the variety of the box but I think it's a little too costly for me at the moment. I am considering about subbing for a while in the future. Oh, checked my banana bar had an expiration date of July 2012, can't wait to try it.

Got my box today. It's ok. There were a lot of things in it so it was fun to unpack but I can't help but feel I'm looking at a pile of junk. I also felt they had a lot of paper and cardboard involved for being an eco type box.

Received my box the other day when I got home from traveling for work. It's my first one but I already ordered the Mystery Box which was offered this week so I should have another one coming soon.

I enjoy the variety of products but I do find some of them less useful (for me) than others.

L-> R

Back Row:

Oogie's Kettle Corn, Original (3 oz / 75g): looking forward to munching on this later

Generation Me Laundry Soap powder / crystals (~2 Tbsp): I used half of the packet for my current load of laundry

Inside Box:

Parsley Plus All Purpose Cleaner (4 fl. oz / 118mL): I hope this cleans my kitchen counters well!

Sparklehearts Hair Conditioner (~1-2 use packet, depending on hair type): will be taking this with me when I'm on the road

Seedballz Clay Seed Balls in satchel (3 balls.. though my 3rd one was broken and half of that was powderized): already planted these outside the garage

Planet Ultra Dish Washing Liquid (~120mL, similar size to the Parsley Plus): excited to try this when I hand wash; hope it doesn't dry my hands out as much as the Palmolive

Juice Beauty Green Apple Peel Sensitive (0.25 fl. oz / 7mL): can't wait to try this! my 2nd Juice Beauty product this month as I got the Oil-free Moisturizer in my BirchBox

Cloud 9 Raw Chocolate Fudge (2 bites): this will be consumed today as I catch up on my DVR shows

Outside Box:

Original Himalayan Crystal Salt (~1 Tbsp): will be using this to season some veggies later today

Glob Natural Colors Paint Powder in Tangerine (5g packet, makes 1-3oz paint when mixed with water): not sure when I'll use this as I hardly paint

Groovy Planet Worry Doll (1 doll, ~15mm)

Bare Body Soaps Organics Soap sample in Almond (2 in x 0.5in sample): I'll add this to my small collection of soap bits

Clandestino Banana Bar (1.06oz / 30 g): looking forward to eating this later, mine expires 07/2012

Climb On Intensive Skin Repair Balm (1 in diameter disc in tin): the consistency of this is a bit hard, even after warming in my hands. Smells like cocoa butter which is one of its main ingredients

Team Green Nature Trading Cards in Butterfly: I don't 'get' trading cards but that's just me

Natural Joy Beauty ColourFusion Lip Glaze in Guava (dime-sized sample): nice rosey plum color; I'll be trying this during the week for work

Latest posts

Back