December 2012 Ipsy bag

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I sooo would love some UD too!

I really want to try out NYX products, but I want to see the product in person before buying it, and there's no store near me that sells NYX, it's so sad:( 

I promise I will not look at spoilers! cuz my subs will be like the only surprises I will get for xmas :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I see NYX cosmetics at my local Urban Outfitters all the time.

Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cherryculture.com and Amazon.com sell it.  I know what you mean about wanting to see it in person though.  I will say their matte eyeshadow needs wet application and the creamy eyeshadow (with the doe foot applicator) is not the best.  I like NYX because they are SO pigmented. 

I know that I will probably end up looking at the spoilers because I don't have that kind of strength.  

Originally Posted by yoru /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can always look for swatches and reviews. Personally I love their slide-on pencil and many says it's a dupe of UD's 24/7. I'd say it's creamier with slightly different colors than UD ones, but definitely a good alternative seeing that you can always get NYX for lower than it's MSRP.

Love Love Love their lip product, though some round lip stick go on weird but hey I got it for $3 so I don't even feel bad tossing it away if it doesn't work. Their "The Curve" liquid eyeliner is my HG liquid eyeliner now. I totally think Ipsy should send out some of their eyeliner pencil or "The Curve", since many hesitated to try :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Thx so much for the help girls :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I will look into those products :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> and lots of swatches I guess :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup because they would get low ratings all the time Lol
laughing.gif
 Probably lol

Originally Posted by quene8106 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup because they would get low ratings all the time Lol
Maybe. I wish BB had the same thing! I've had both good and bad experiences. It would be nice to let them know who was amazing so they can offer incentives and the like.

Originally Posted by lovelywhim /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe. I wish BB had the same thing! I've had both good and bad experiences. It would be nice to let them know who was amazing so they can offer incentives and the like.
Yeah, the majority of them send canned messages but there are few OA's that are good like Paulina and Sarah & the girl that gave me a detailed response the other day, Alexandra.

Originally Posted by gypsiemagic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sure there are little boutiques and whatnot that sell mac that has been purchased by an individual, all I know is that MAC does not guarantee authenticity of any product sold beyond the very limited distribution they have (cco's dept. stores)

Target could never sell MAC, basically is what the gist of it is. No random "companies" can sell their products legitimately, because face it, selling a product implies some sort of approval from the company (at least from a consumers point of view)

Also DVD's I would think are a much more convoluted situation, there are a tons of different rights holders and people trying to get paid. MAC is a company, they make their makeup, they sell their makeup. They choose not (like a lot of luxury brands, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, etc) to allow any random person to be a legitimate vendor of their stuff, it keeps up the prestige and value of the brand and their retail locations, and with all the counterfit law out there, it wouldn't surprise me if the laws are such that they are totally legal in how they operate. 

Seems pretty legit to me. I would never buy an ipad from a corner store, so why should it be any different for other brands. 
Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A company can deny authorization to buy and resell their products because it's THEIR products. They own the rights to their trademark, their copyright - everything and anything to do with their company. That's what it boils down to.

For example, if Walmart began selling M•A•C in their stores without M•A•C's permission then Walmart could face a cease and desist or possible lawsuit because the product may or may not be legitimate M•A•C products. It boils down to where did Walmart obtain M•A•C? Did they buy it from a company who bought from Chinese counterfeiter? Is it real? Is it expired? Is the product what it's suppose to be?

Look at how Coach and other designers fiercely protect their products from being sold on EBay. They won't let ANYONE sell their products EVEN if the item is legitimate. A few months back I read how a girl who WORKED for a Coach store bought a purse, used it then decided to sell it on EBay only to have Coach contact EBay to have that purse removed on the grounds it was counterfeit. The girl was able to prove it was a real Coach purse but EBay wouldn't allow her to relist the item. She may own the product but she doesn't own the rights to the product.

Look at what happened last month with The Look Store's The Look Bag. They are not authorized by Stila or Freeman Beauty to distribute products from those companies. TLS/TLB bought their products from a 3rd party vendor - which could be EBay, a Chinese counterfeiter, a wholesale distributor, we just don't know - and what happened? The Stila shadow was discontinued "at least three years ago" and is EXPIRED (mine smelled like black pepper), the Freeman Beauty product was also discontinued a while back and the address on the back of the packaging was one Freeman Beauty hasn't had in a long time. PopBeauty even said the nail polish was discontinued. I never did hear back from the other company about the lip balm but products with SPF do have a shelf life and DO expire losing it's effectiveness at the minimum. So who is at fault for the products being expired and had someone had a negative reaction to one of the expired products? The Look Bag? The 3rd party vendor? The manufacturer?

So if a company doesn't want another company to sell or distribute their products that company - the manufacturer - has the right to put a stop to the retailer from distributing their products.
I think it's incorrect to imply that MAC is not sold at Wal-mart simply because the MAC products are counterfeit.  I think that gypsie was right in that many high-end retailers refuse to allow their products to be sold at big box retailers like Wal-mart and Target because of reputation that those stores carry. Selling Coach bags and MAC make-up would devalue the reputation and prestige behind the name of the product even those products have the same quality of those that are sold in their small boutiques. They want people to buy the brand's name and whatever value that society places on those companies.

I remember there was a great deal of fuss going on about David Bridals or something that was going out of business. Instead of selling those wedding gowns (which had Vera Wang and other high end designers) to big box retailers or something, they chose to take the pristine white dresses and spray paint them with red to prevent anyone from ever repurchasing them. By the way, Vera Wang and the designers already made their profit when they originally sold their dresses to the David's Bridal.  David's Bridal were then intentionally ruining the dresses to prevent any of them going onto the secondary market and to prevent anyone who normally wouldn't be able to afford it from purchasing it.

Thus, the point I am trying to get across is that prestige brands don't allow just anyone to sell their products because they want to protect the brand's image.  As a result, they actively pursue counterfeit products is to protect the brand name.  They want their products to only be purchased by a certain "demographic," and things being sold on E-Bay (which can be sold for far lower than the retail bag) are not acceptable because they don't want people to purchase their products for less than the price they've set.

Originally Posted by ValentineLissar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think it's incorrect to imply that MAC is not sold at Wal-mart simply because the MAC products are counterfeit.  I think that gypsie was right in that many high-end retailers refuse to allow their products to be sold at big box retailers like Wal-mart and Target because of reputation that those stores carry. Selling Coach bags and MAC make-up would devalue the reputation and prestige behind the name of the product even those products have the same quality of those that are sold in their small boutiques. They want people to buy the brand's name and whatever value that society places on those companies.

I remember there was a great deal of fuss going on about David Bridals or something that was going out of business. Instead of selling those wedding gowns (which had Vera Wang and other high end designers) to big box retailers or something, they chose to take the pristine white dresses and spray paint them with red to prevent anyone from ever repurchasing them. By the way, Vera Wang and the designers already made their profit with they original sold their dresses to the David's Bridal.  They were intentionally ruining the dresses to prevent any of them going onto the secondary market and to prevent anyone who normally wouldn't be able to afford it from purchasing it.

Thus, the point I am trying to get across is that prestige brands don't allow just anyone to sell their products because they want to protect the brand's image.  As a result, they actively pursue counterfeit products is to protect the brand name.  They want their products to only be purchased by a certain "demographic," and things being sold on E-Bay (which can be sold for far lower than the retail bag) are not acceptable because they don't want people to purchase their products for less than the price they've set.

This is exactly my point. MAC makes it publicly known that they don't authorize any retailers other than a specific few, because the instance of counterfitting is so high. They cover all their bases by not engaging at all with secondary sellers/resellers etc.  

Louis Vuitton does this with every single limited edition collection at the end of its sale period. All the extra fabric and leftover bags are doused in gasoline and burned. It's the only way the company can insure that the value of the extremely expensive good will remain valuable. 

While it seems a waste, its something prestigous brands do to remain prestigous and to keep the profit in their own hands. 

It's business.

I appreciate the 40% discount I get at MAC (It's not hard to get, so I recommend it to every makeup lover out there) so, I can't even shop anywhere but physical mac stores, the pro discount only applies in store. I know every mac item I own is legit. I see so many people tricked by their lack of knowledge and blinded by a "good deal" its sickening.

Wow all this information is really interesting!

On another note:

The bags really keep getting better!

I am so ready for spoilers for the December bag! I remember seeing a video on youtube and it was an unboxing of the Glossybox anniversary box (British). With that box, they included a totebag and balloons with the Glossybox logo, and confetti... a very cute way to celebrate their anniversary! December is my birthday month too so I'm pretty excited! I know Glossybox and Birchbox had NARS products at one point so it'd be nice to see if IPSY could get ahold of some
icon_cheers.gif

Can you give a gift to yourself? 

My annual subscription ends in December (next billing date is January), and I was thinking of renewing it.  If I get a gift for myself, I was hoping to get the flat iron...I don't know if it's possible to game the system? I wouldn't want to get two December bags though.... What do you guys think?

Originally Posted by ValentineLissar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Can you give a gift to yourself? 

My annual subscription ends in December (next billing date is January), and I was thinking of renewing it.  If I get a gift for myself, I was hoping to get the flat iron...I don't know if it's possible to game the system? I wouldn't want to get two December bags though.... What do you guys think?
 What flat iron?

Originally Posted by soccerkidtlk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You get a flat iron if you gift a 12 or 24 month subscription
does everyone get one if you get a 12 or 24 month?

Just the person that sends the gift subscription if i'm reading it right, but you can't send a gift subscription to yourself unless you have 2 addresses...

You can have 2 separate subscriptions to ipsy being sent to the same physical address. All you need is a different email address for each account. 

Latest posts

Back