December 2012 Ipsy bag

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Before I got more into makeup, I thought MAC products were really expensive. They are still on the pricier side but I've gotten to the point where I don't just go into a Sephora, Target, CVS, department store, etc. and just buy whatever my eyes happen to land on (although, very rarely, that still happens and it usually goes one of two ways - either the item is a big regret or an awesome surprise.) When I buy something now it's researched for a while - I look at reviews and swatches online and I try to test the products for myself before purchasing. This is part of the reason why I sub to BB/Ipsy - it's part of my research; I get exposed to new products and brands and if I hate the product I don't feel that bad tossing it. Back to MAC, the first products I tried were their lipsticks and I'd never paid more than $5 for a lip product before and wondered if it was worth $15 for one lip product. When I looked at my makeup stash though I'd realized the amount of makeup that I bought on a whim and didn't use was awful - I could have bought 10+ MAC lipsticks! So now, instead of me taking advantage of every BOGO sale at CVS, I'll research and save up for something I would really use. A lot of times those products are still drugstore brands and products, but I don't feel so bad now spending more money on products that I know will work for me.
I research some products too but my problem is when i see a sale i will go for it. I really need to stop though cause i end up not liking some of the products and in reality you are right. I should save up money to get a products that really works instead of spending so much on makeup i dont like.

Originally Posted by CherBear711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone know how to gift an Ipsy subscription?  I decided that my sister would like Ipsy a lot better than BB and want to gift her a sub this year, but can't figure out how.
I emailed them a few days ago about gift subscriptions and this is what they told me:

Quote:  We think gift subscriptions are a great idea, and are working diligently to have this feature available by the holidays (i.e. Black, or PINK Friday!) Please stay tuned!

Originally Posted by tinkerbll695 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Before I got more into makeup, I thought MAC products were really expensive. They are still on the pricier side but I've gotten to the point where I don't just go into a Sephora, Target, CVS, department store, etc. and just buy whatever my eyes happen to land on (although, very rarely, that still happens and it usually goes one of two ways - either the item is a big regret or an awesome surprise.) When I buy something now it's researched for a while - I look at reviews and swatches online and I try to test the products for myself before purchasing. This is part of the reason why I sub to BB/Ipsy - it's part of my research; I get exposed to new products and brands and if I hate the product I don't feel that bad tossing it. Back to MAC, the first products I tried were their lipsticks and I'd never paid more than $5 for a lip product before and wondered if it was worth $15 for one lip product. When I looked at my makeup stash though I'd realized the amount of makeup that I bought on a whim and didn't use was awful - I could have bought 10+ MAC lipsticks! So now, instead of me taking advantage of every BOGO sale at CVS, I'll research and save up for something I would really use. A lot of times those products are still drugstore brands and products, but I don't feel so bad now spending more money on products that I know will work for me.
I'm such a NYX sucker - I joke around and say that I"m wearing the drug store version of MAC 

Originally Posted by CherBear711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Does anyone know how to gift an Ipsy subscription?  I decided that my sister would like Ipsy a lot better than BB and want to gift her a sub this year, but can't figure out how.
I also emailed them about this and got the same exact reply:

[SIZE=80%]NOV 19, 2012 | 03:50PM PST[/SIZE]

Elizabeth replied:

Hi Katie,
Thanks for contacting ipsyCare! We think gift subscriptions are a great idea, and are working diligently to have this feature available by the holidays (i.e. Black, or PINK Friday!) Please stay tuned!

:::::please rate my response: http://www.nicereply.com/ipsy/10454690/56051:::::

xoxo,Elizabeth

Not to be a Debbie-downer, but I think they've already have the December bag color and style planned out long ago. If you guys wanted to give them ideas, I think October was the prime time to do it.

Also, in Michelle's video, they did mention that they wanted to set up a gift subscription link set up for people who wanted to send Ipsy to friends and family. By the  way, the video gives spoilers for future possible products.

(If the video doesn't play here's the link:

) Edit by Zadidoll: Fixed the video.

You can always save on MAC (and a few other brands, like Bobbi Brown and Clinique) at The Cosmetics Company Store, if you have one in an outlet mall near you.  It's Estee Lauder's outlet store.  I have two within about an hour-and-a-half of me.  There are a bunch around the country - here's the store locator:  http://www.mallseeker.com/cosmeticscompanystore.aspx  I wasn't sure how much cheaper it was, but one review I saw said 25-40% off on the MAC.  Someone on Youtube posted a video a few years ago.  It still looks the same...

I know it's been discussed in several threads before on the boards, but figured a lot of people may not have seen it.

https://www.makeuptalk.com/t/115593/the-cosmetics-company-store

I sooo would love some UD too!

Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm such a NYX sucker - I joke around and say that I"m wearing the drug store version of MAC 
I really want to try out NYX products, but I want to see the product in person before buying it, and there's no store near me that sells NYX, it's so sad:( 

I promise I will not look at spoilers! cuz my subs will be like the only surprises I will get for xmas :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by beautymadn3ss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really want to try out NYX products, but I want to see the product in person before buying it, and there's no store near me that sells NYX, it's so sad:(
If you live near a Ricky's NYC check there since Ricky's recently began to carry NYX.

How can a manufacturer deny authorization to buy and resell their products? At least in the US, the right to sell what you've purchased is firmly established in law - the manufacturer has no say in the matter (much to the consternation of the movie industry which tried to make reselling DVDs illegal). I can see how a manufacturer would choose not to vouch for the authenticity of products they didn't sell directly and to only offer origination discounts to their preferred first-tier distributors, etc. That's very different than intimating that anyone not on the in-list is somehow acting unethically. I mean no defense of people who sell expired or counterfeit products, but it rubs me the wrong way to see companies imply they have legal powers far beyond the bounds of reality.

Originally Posted by sakurak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can a manufacturer deny authorization to buy and resell their products? At least in the US, the right to sell what you've purchased is firmly established in law - the manufacturer has no say in the matter (much to the consternation of the movie industry which tried to make reselling DVDs illegal). I can see how a manufacturer would choose not to vouch for the authenticity of products they didn't sell directly and to only offer origination discounts to their preferred first-tier distributors, etc. That's very different than intimating that anyone not on the in-list is somehow acting unethically.

I mean no defense of people who sell expired or counterfeit products, but it rubs me the wrong way to see companies imply they have legal powers far beyond the bounds of reality.
I'm sure there are little boutiques and whatnot that sell mac that has been purchased by an individual, all I know is that MAC does not guarantee authenticity of any product sold beyond the very limited distribution they have (cco's dept. stores)

Target could never sell MAC, basically is what the gist of it is. No random "companies" can sell their products legitimately, because face it, selling a product implies some sort of approval from the company (at least from a consumers point of view)

Also DVD's I would think are a much more convoluted situation, there are a tons of different rights holders and people trying to get paid. MAC is a company, they make their makeup, they sell their makeup. They choose not (like a lot of luxury brands, Louis Vuitton, Chanel, etc) to allow any random person to be a legitimate vendor of their stuff, it keeps up the prestige and value of the brand and their retail locations, and with all the counterfit law out there, it wouldn't surprise me if the laws are such that they are totally legal in how they operate. 

Seems pretty legit to me. I would never buy an ipad from a corner store, so why should it be any different for other brands. 

Originally Posted by sakurak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can a manufacturer deny authorization to buy and resell their products? At least in the US, the right to sell what you've purchased is firmly established in law - the manufacturer has no say in the matter (much to the consternation of the movie industry which tried to make reselling DVDs illegal). I can see how a manufacturer would choose not to vouch for the authenticity of products they didn't sell directly and to only offer origination discounts to their preferred first-tier distributors, etc. That's very different than intimating that anyone not on the in-list is somehow acting unethically.

I mean no defense of people who sell expired or counterfeit products, but it rubs me the wrong way to see companies imply they have legal powers far beyond the bounds of reality.
A company can deny authorization to buy and resell their products because it's THEIR products. They own the rights to their trademark, their copyright - everything and anything to do with their company. That's what it boils down to.

For example, if Walmart began selling M•A•C in their stores without M•A•C's permission then Walmart could face a cease and desist or possible lawsuit because the product may or may not be legitimate M•A•C products. It boils down to where did Walmart obtain M•A•C? Did they buy it from a company who bought from Chinese counterfeiter? Is it real? Is it expired? Is the product what it's suppose to be?

Look at how Coach and other designers fiercely protect their products from being sold on EBay. They won't let ANYONE sell their products EVEN if the item is legitimate. A few months back I read how a girl who WORKED for a Coach store bought a purse, used it then decided to sell it on EBay only to have Coach contact EBay to have that purse removed on the grounds it was counterfeit. The girl was able to prove it was a real Coach purse but EBay wouldn't allow her to relist the item. She may own the product but she doesn't own the rights to the product.

Look at what happened last month with The Look Store's The Look Bag. They are not authorized by Stila or Freeman Beauty to distribute products from those companies. TLS/TLB bought their products from a 3rd party vendor - which could be EBay, a Chinese counterfeiter, a wholesale distributor, we just don't know - and what happened? The Stila shadow was discontinued "at least three years ago" and is EXPIRED (mine smelled like black pepper), the Freeman Beauty product was also discontinued a while back and the address on the back of the packaging was one Freeman Beauty hasn't had in a long time. PopBeauty even said the nail polish was discontinued. I never did hear back from the other company about the lip balm but products with SPF do have a shelf life and DO expire losing it's effectiveness at the minimum. So who is at fault for the products being expired and had someone had a negative reaction to one of the expired products? The Look Bag? The 3rd party vendor? The manufacturer?

So if a company doesn't want another company to sell or distribute their products that company - the manufacturer - has the right to put a stop to the retailer from distributing their products.

Sorry I opened this can of worms!  Eeep! 
icon_redface.gif

I promise I will not look at spoilers! cuz my subs will be like the only surprises I will get for xmas :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
Cherryculture.com and Amazon.com sell it.  I know what you mean about wanting to see it in person though.  I will say their matte eyeshadow needs wet application and the creamy eyeshadow (with the doe foot applicator) is not the best.  I like NYX because they are SO pigmented. 

I know that I will probably end up looking at the spoilers because I don't have that kind of strength.  

You can always look for swatches and reviews. Personally I love their slide-on pencil and many says it's a dupe of UD's 24/7. I'd say it's creamier with slightly different colors than UD ones, but definitely a good alternative seeing that you can always get NYX for lower than it's MSRP.

Love Love Love their lip product, though some round lip stick go on weird but hey I got it for $3 so I don't even feel bad tossing it away if it doesn't work. Their "The Curve" liquid eyeliner is my HG liquid eyeliner now. I totally think Ipsy should send out some of their eyeliner pencil or "The Curve", since many hesitated to try :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you live near a Ricky's NYC check there since Ricky's recently began to carry NYX.
I wish I was in NYC, I'm in upstate NY, but thank you for the info, I wanna go to NYC one of these days so might convince the bf to drive me there :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back