Disney Princess Looks

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did two things, the silver in my shadow is mixed with a shimmer blue to give an icy silver look.

also, the blue for the mask required three different brushes to get this look...i used a flat round brush to stipple it in along with an large eyeshadow fluff and blusher brush for blending.

is it ok to use your own face in a portfolio?? i was always under the impression a porfolio has to be photos of applications you've done on others. which i do, it's just not often as i live in a small town and so dont get much clientele...i have to travel to San Francisco or Sacramento to work with models and so far it's been difficult to book photoshoots. hopefully there will be some bridal business coming my way to build my professional portfolio with, i got a tip yesterday that a local photographer may want to use me for weddings she does :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Well... not that you would use these pictures in your wedding portfolio...LOL... but yes, as you start you can use your own face - its still work that you do that you can show off.

As your clientele grows - then replace images with those of your clients.

You can have a "fun" portfolio and place pictures like the ones above and as you move your own images out of the pro portfolio move them into the "fun" portfolio.  As an artist I like to see the range of images and work that other people do.  Having two portfolios cant hurt.  One of them can even be just a plain scrap book with notes on the products you used and application techniques for reference.

Originally Posted by xina751 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

is it ok to use your own face in a portfolio?? i was always under the impression a porfolio has to be photos of applications you've done on others. which i do, it's just not often as i live in a small town and so dont get much clientele...i have to travel to San Francisco or Sacramento to work with models and so far it's been difficult to book photoshoots. hopefully there will be some bridal business coming my way to build my professional portfolio with, i got a tip yesterday that a local photographer may want to use me for weddings she does :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

Amazing job!!! It definitely looks like you put a lot of work into this! You'e got quite the talent!

As far as your portfolio, here's my .10.

I keep a "behind scenes/snapshots" portfolio in case a bride wants to see "real women" pictures...no editing/photoshop/models, etc. These are photos I take myself when I'm on jobs. However, you must get permission to use and show these pictures from whoever is in them. (I know I would freak out if I knew someone was going around showing/sending my pictures to other people w/out my consent..it's just not ethical. And in this technological age people mess with photos so easily online, etc.) I always make sure to ask the client if I can take their photo, and ask them what ways they would be comfortable with me sharing it (i.e., just in my personal book, email, my own website, etc.)

For a professional Makeup Artist's book, my suggestion is to find out which type of market you will be working in. For example, commercial photographers are scared away by "artistic/creative" looks we do because that's not what they're shooting. If a photographer or agency gets a book with images showing work they don't even represent, they immediately know you haven't researched the agency, photographer, or know the difference between various types of work. They will quickly move on to the next book if this happens. Be verrry picky about what goes in your book. Only select the best. I'd suggest waiting for a while until you work with some bigger named/well known local photogs who's work an agency would recognize.  Also you have to make sure the photographer sends you the right size photos (industry standard is 11x14). One last thing, I wouldn't recommend putting any black and white photos in your book. As much as I looove B & W they don't show the intricacies of our work :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I save those for posting here on MuT :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And on a final note: I know models are hard to schedule with along with photographers, but be very very picky about the models you choose to work with--If a model isn't up to par, it's not worth your time (portfolio wise) because she won't end up in your book. I know it sounds harsh, but you need to only have the best for yourself :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sorry about my endless ramblings LOL! MUA Portfolio books are a HUGE topic. One last thing, try to get all of your photos in both digital and prints. PDF's are becoming the new digital "standard."

Great Work again!  

Oh wow xtina....I really love that!!!

She-Ra (Princess Adora) is my favourite princess but I suggested her in the 'Super' looks thread!

Ooohhhh....how about Xena Warrior Princess?

Thanks one and all!

Green eye lady...thanks for your portfolio input. i'm running late for dinner right now but i will come back and read this in full. thank you soooooo much!

Amazing job Xina!!!

greeneyedlady & Dream - Thanks for the great advice!

OOOOOOH xena warrior princess is my alter ego!!! lol my sister started calling me XINA when i was young, and friends always made fun of that. i'll look up some pictures and post a warrior princess look here soon :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> thanks for the idea!

and greeneyedlady...i finally read your advice. thank you so much for your input! it was great advice and i will save it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

That's lovely, Xina751! I used to obsess over The Little Mermaid when I was little! I don't know that I have a favorite Disney Princess anymore, but Ariel's definitely one of my most lovable. =)

Wow, GREAT job!!!!  What about Mulan?  You know in that scene where she gets made up to see the matchmaker?

Originally Posted by xina751 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Face: Generic Dimethicone Moisturizer, All About Eyes cream Clinique, Custom Mix Full Coverage Luminous Foundation, Covergirl Oil Control pressed powder (classic Ivory)

Eyes: Revlon Cream shadows "Black Magic" (irridescent pink cream-all over lid), CS Smokey Palette (light silver-lid, irridescent pink-crease, matte hot pink-crease, slightly pinked white-brow bone), CS Brow Tones (mix red/black), Femme Couture gel eyeliner (navy), Covergirl Falsies and Maybelline Greatlash Mascara mixed, very black.

Cheeks: Elf shimmer cream (lilac), CS 6 blush contour palette, Lacome blush (cosmopolitan pink-outer edges of cheek bones), Costco Brand blush (technicolor peach-all over cheek)

Lips: Beautique lipliner (rose) and homemade fuchsia pink gloss

You look like a real princess. I won't wear this make up in the day time, but definitely, I like it
claps.gif
. Thank you
flowers.gif

Xina, You look like a real princess
smilehappyyes.gif
I won't be wear this make up at day time, but i definitely LIKE it
claps.gif
Thank you
flowers.gif

thanks you for the support! i'm sorry i don't update these threads enough but i'm so busy...i'll try to do more soon :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

and just as a reminder, anyone who feels the creative bug bite them can feel free to post their looks as well :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

here's a sleeping beauty inspired look. if you guys really want to know what i used i can let ya'll know later cuz i'm in a massive rush right now!

Back