For those with Afro-(curly/coily)textured hair

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread BTW! Currently, I'm using and liking L'oreal Vive for women of color shampoo and conditioner. Because I work out, I rinse my hair everyday (I'm a natural), shampoo once a week and do a conditioner wash two-three times a week. Depending if I wig it or not, I use ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing lotion and Hot Six Oil if I'm braiding my hair and putting it under a wig, and I use Short Looks Twist-n-Shine Gel Creme if I'm wearing it out with a headband.

I've been natural for about two years, and my only hair complaint has been I wish my hair would grow quicker! My hair, despite maintenance trims, seems to grow quicker on one side than the other, and I'm ready to wear afro puffs. So, if anyone knows of anything, technique or product, to speed up or help the hair growth process, please let me know.

One thing I do envy is the range of products that you have available in the USA compared to over here in the UK, not just the products specifically for afro hair but the other things like Suave; I have their clarifying shampoo but the coconut conditioner sounds so nice.
icon_sad.gif

I use mostly Keracare and Nexxus. I used to use lots of Dominican products, but I decided to try somethng new.

Originally Posted by sugarquayn Great thread BTW! Currently, I'm using and liking L'oreal Vive for women of color shampoo and conditioner. Because I work out, I rinse my hair everyday (I'm a natural), shampoo once a week and do a conditioner wash two-three times a week. Depending if I wig it or not, I use ORS Olive Oil Moisturizing lotion and Hot Six Oil if I'm braiding my hair and putting it under a wig, and I use Short Looks Twist-n-Shine Gel Creme if I'm wearing it out with a headband.
I've been natural for about two years, and my only hair complaint has been I wish my hair would grow quicker! My hair, despite maintenance trims, seems to grow quicker on one side than the other, and I'm ready to wear afro puffs. So, if anyone knows of anything, technique or product, to speed up or help the hair growth process, please let me know.

I don't buy into products that claim to grow hair faster, but some people say MTG can increase hair growth.

Originally Posted by LOVECHIC I don't buy into products that claim to grow hair faster, but some people say MTG can increase hair growth. I own MTG and it has made my hair grow way, way faster than normal. It stinks but it definitely works.
icon_smile.gif

Originally Posted by lilchocolatema I own MTG and it has made my hair grow way, way faster than normal. It stinks but it definitely works.
icon_smile.gif
That's great!
claps.gif
I will just stick to my average growth rate. Shoot, that's good enough for me. Just as long as it's healthy.

LOL@ "it stinks"
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by lilchocolatema I own MTG and it has made my hair grow way, way faster than normal. It stinks but it definitely works.
icon_smile.gif
Have you tried Surge, if so how does it compare to MTG?

Hi,

Nice to compare with someone natural like myself. I use Nautral Oasis products--shampoo, hair lotion and pomade. I have shoulder length natural coily hair that craves moisture. I wear my hair in many styles, braids, twist, flat ironed, etc. I condition my hair biweekly by coating it with raw shea butter, covering with a plastic cap and sitting under a dryer for 15-30 minutes before washing. I am also a fan of pure olive oil hot oil treatments. Both of these leave your hair with great sheen, soft and smooth textured!

Hi there,

I have really curly hair as well. I no longer shampoo it (I'm half black, half white). I use Devachan products. Made specifically for curly girls like us!

They are incredible. After using for a few months, I shampooed my hair (ran out of Devachan product). My hair literally felt like straw. This is what I'd been doing to it all these years!

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

Lydia

Originally Posted by sugarquayn What is MTG? Hey sugarquayn! Check out this link to find out what MTG is:
http://www.shapelys.com/

I don't use this stuff, looks scary to me, but since you wanted to know... From what I understand, this stuff was originally marketed toward men to grow hair, but since the smell was so wretched, it never took off. People started using it on their horses and it is now marketed to horse owners and sold at equestrian stores. Women swear by this stuff, but you couldn't get me to use it if you paid me.

As for your question about what can increase hair growth, have you tried scalp massage? Believe it or not, it really works. I don't know how much water you drink, but that works too. Some people take vitamins internally that are supposed to aid in hair growth, but I don't so I don't have a link or anything for you.

I have natural hair too, shoulder length when stretched. Your hair looks gorgeous in your avitar, btw!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Originally Posted by PopModePrincess Hey sugarquayn! Check out this link to find out what MTG is:
http://www.shapelys.com/

I don't use this stuff, looks scary to me, but since you wanted to know... From what I understand, this stuff was originally marketed toward men to grow hair, but since the smell was so wretched, it never took off. People started using it on their horses and it is now marketed to horse owners and sold at equestrian stores. Women swear by this stuff, but you couldn't get me to use it if you paid me.

Me either, girl!

You are so right. I remember when this stuff, Mane and Tail was all the rage. I picked up a bottle, read the ingredients and thought hmm.Then I smelled it--whew!!!
icon_eek.gif
No way I was going to use something so horrible. The horse might not mind but I certainly did!!

Originally Posted by speerrituall1 You are so right. I remember when this stuff, Mane and Tail was all the rage. I picked up a bottle, read the ingredients and thought hmm.Then I smelled it--whew!!!
icon_eek.gif
No way I was going to use something so horrible. The horse might not mind but I certainly did!! LOL!

i have NO clue how to maintain my hair..

ive been relaxing my hair every few months with motions...i really should stop. i would love to go all natural but its just so dry and hard to maintain. my hair is a little past my shoulders and its doing that annoying half-straight and relaxed/half natural and curly thing which i hate. i wish it would just stick with one or the other. i'll probably stop relaxing it in the next few months so any suggestions on what to use to keep it soft and smooth while its natural? every blue moon i'll straighten it with my chi iron but i usually just shampoo and condition and put it up in a ponytail while its still wet and just let it dry naturally(i know im horrible)...and then when its dry its...DRY and strawlike and it just looks gross. i really want something to make it shiny and touchable but NOT greasy...hellllllllllllllllllp.

Originally Posted by cocobella i have NO clue how to maintain my hair..
ive been relaxing my hair every few months with motions...i really should stop. i would love to go all natural but its just so dry and hard to maintain. my hair is a little past my shoulders and its doing that annoying half-straight and relaxed/half natural and curly thing which i hate. i wish it would just stick with one or the other. i'll probably stop relaxing it in the next few months so any suggestions on what to use to keep it soft and smooth while its natural? every blue moon i'll straighten it with my chi iron but i usually just shampoo and condition and put it up in a ponytail while its still wet and just let it dry naturally(i know im horrible)...and then when its dry its...DRY and strawlike and it just looks gross. i really want something to make it shiny and touchable but NOT greasy...hellllllllllllllllllp.

You should definitely give chemicals a break! Start doing regular/weekly deep conditioning and don't go overboard with heat usage ( that USED to be my problem)! While natural, you can blowdry roots and straightening with your ceramic flat iron, but you should not do this OFTEN! Maybe a couple times a month when you want to wear your hair out! And most importantly, keep your hair well moisturized...Daily! Hope this Helps! Feel free to PM, me girl!

You must decide will I be natural or relaxed
icon_confused.gif
. Your hair is craving moisture. Start giving yourself bi-weekly deep conditioning treatments with things like pure olive oil--cheap can be purchased at the grocery store. Once your hair has become more pliable, switch to monthly treatments. The dangerous place is where the two types of hair meet, natural new growth and relaxed. Your hair will snap off at this point. Your hair is very fragile. Stay away from the heat, wet sets and braids are great for growing out of relaxers. Be patient and love your hair, it takes time!

Originally Posted by LOVECHIC Me either, girl! Some people are so desperate, they will risk growing a hoof out of the top of their head for a little more hair! LMAO!!!!!!
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by cocobella i have NO clue how to maintain my hair..

If you're looking to "transition" out of your relaxer, then I would suggest getting your hair rod set. A lot of transitioners use this style. Here's a link to a site that has ALL the information you need : www.nappturality.com. Spend some time there and you will find all the answers to your questions.
As for a good moisturizer, try raw shea butter. It works really well for my hair. Deep conditioning once a week is also key to keeping your hair healthy, especially while trying to grow out a relaxer. HTH!

Originally Posted by sticksorslate Hi there,
I have really curly hair as well. I no longer shampoo it (I'm half black, half white). I use Devachan products. Made specifically for curly girls like us!

They are incredible. After using for a few months, I shampooed my hair (ran out of Devachan product). My hair literally felt like straw. This is what I'd been doing to it all these years!

Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.

Lydia

Hey Lydia! Just wanted to say welcome to MUT! I'm Raquel from NJ! Thanks for the recommendation, I'm sure it will help one of the curly/kinky girls here!
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Back