GlossyBox-Gate Scandal???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by Linabunnie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Maybe we should accidentally post our thread link in their comments LOL!!
 They'd just delete it before too many people got to see it. I say post the thread link and a comment on a bunch of Glossybox youtube videos! I myself have a video for each box I've gotten but I'll also be doing a video on the June/LAST Glossybox and I'll be truthful about everything.

Wow can't wait to see what is in our boxes!  I was a person charged 2x (one dropped off) and was offered the "awesome" 100 Glossydots (yet to be credited to my account).  Am checking my CC daily to make sure there are no charges I didn't make.  They are certainly not doing a lot to help their situation by sending out generic, poorly written and not allowing people to post on their FB wall and I heard the Twitter @glossyboxushelp that was created is 404ing too.

wow, glossybox's responses to this serious situation are completely unprofessional. i'm really glad i decided not to sub.

i think we all know that no company is perfect, birchbox has made plenty of mistakes, but they have generally fixed them accordingly. glossybox needs to pay attention.

WOW. Flip side of the coin has happened to me today!! GB CS contacted me to make certain I want 2 June boxes.

They also volunteered that they are shipping next week. I feel much better.. I hope they are getting some mature people in to help resolve the issues.

Hey for those of you having CS and CC issues - I noticed this contact info on the bottom of the email Glossybox sent me today (posted earlier).

For further questions, please contact our customer care service. 

E-Mail: [email protected]

Company information: 
Beauty Trend USA Inc. 
231 W 29th Street 
New York, NY 10001 

URL: www.glossybox.com
E-Mail: [email protected]

Maybe you guys could try getting ahold of this BeautyTrend USA Inc. company?

Originally Posted by LauraBrooks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

WOW. Flip side of the coin has happened to me today!! GB CS contacted me to make certain I want 2 June boxes.

They also volunteered that they are shipping next week. I feel much better.. I hope they are getting some mature people in to help resolve the issues.
Good to know. Maybe they're taking a (small) step in the right direction.

Originally Posted by JessP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good to know. Maybe they're taking a (small) step in the right direction.
I was shocked about the entire discourse. I even called them to tell them my response instead of an email reply. The CS person seemed really surprised that I would " keep" 2 subs,..

That led me to believe that they have been handling a lot of complainst about charges.

I had  a great rapport going with her so I told her how much I had liked my first Glossybox, and how most of my Internet friends did too, but some of them were worried about rumors of CC #s being used in the UK ( I couldn't just come out and accuse her company).  I told her that it's so prevalent that it's showing up in Google searches for Glossybox USA , which it is..

I asked her multiple times if they would please help; make their customers feel more secure by emailing or posting some kind of specific apology or explanation, and FIX the problem, if they can fix it.  She didn't jump on the suggestion with a " Hurrah" but she didn't shoot it down or deny the need for it either.

This is exactly what happened to me. Was this a Sony Entertainment storefront?

Originally Posted by BuffaloBeautyQT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Personally, my card number was stolen and someone attempted to charge $1 at some gaming store.  I've heard this is common for credit card thieves, as they "test" the cc number to see if it works by charging a very small amount they hope will slip under the radar. Once they get confirmation that it goes through, they go for broke and start charging big-ticket items.  Fortunately, my cc company caught the $1 charge and was able to cancel the card before anything else hit.  I think the multiple GB charges (which was a mistake and I think has been resolved for everyone) is a very seperate issue from the people who have gotten their card info stolen.

I'm not one of the people affected, and I'm not planning on unsubscribing anytime soon. For the people who charged multiple times for their glossybox,  I can understand why some people are upset, especially the people who got charged overdraft fees, and I think there should be some compensation for those who were charged overdraft fees.

I can also see why the people who had weird charges are upset too. It sucks to be a victim of credit fraud. However, I don't think Glossybox is a fraudulent company. It sounds like whoever they pay to process payments got compromised in a short time frame. That is a shame, however, Glossybox themselves aren't to blame if they do in fact pay a company to process their payments. If said processing company was completely shady and everyone had charges from companies they didn't purchase from, then Glossybox clearly had bad judgment in deciding which processing company to use, then GB should be held accountable. To me, this sounds like it happened beyond GB's control, and they just had no idea how to respond to customers.

This is my personal opinion, and granted, I use a secured credit card with a 200$ limit for all my internet purchases, so I don't have to worry that much about this happening to me. I think Glossybox just ran into a lot of bad luck..with their site launching too early, the other website issues (ie beauty profile, accounts being put on hold) and now their credit processing company. Hopefully, they'll get everything sorted out soon.

Actually, they are both legally and ethically responsible for informing clients of compromised personal information. It is, in fact, grounds for a lawsuit. If they don't know how to respond, then they should not be in business. There are things called professionalism, responsibility and retaining adequate and competent legal counsel.

Originally Posted by eluveitie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not one of the people affected, and I'm not planning on unsubscribing anytime soon. For the people who charged multiple times for their glossybox,  I can understand why some people are upset, especially the people who got charged overdraft fees, and I think there should be some compensation for those who were charged overdraft fees.

I can also see why the people who had weird charges are upset too. It sucks to be a victim of credit fraud. However, I don't think Glossybox is a fraudulent company. It sounds like whoever they pay to process payments got compromised in a short time frame. That is a shame, however, Glossybox themselves aren't to blame if they do in fact pay a company to process their payments. If said processing company was completely shady and everyone had charges from companies they didn't purchase from, then Glossybox clearly had bad judgment in deciding which processing company to use, then GB should be held accountable. To me, this sounds like it happened beyond GB's control, and they just had no idea how to respond to customers.

This is my personal opinion, and granted, I use a secured credit card with a 200$ limit for all my internet purchases, so I don't have to worry that much about this happening to me. I think Glossybox just ran into a lot of bad luck..with their site launching too early, the other website issues (ie beauty profile, accounts being put on hold) and now their credit processing company. Hopefully, they'll get everything sorted out soon.

Originally Posted by Angie Tacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Actually, they are both legally and ethically responsible for informing clients of compromised personal information. It is, in fact, grounds for a lawsuit. If they don't know how to respond, then they should not be in business. There are things called professionalism, responsibility and retaining adequate and competent legal counsel.
Thank you!  That's what I've been trying to get across here.  I know a lot of subscribers haven't been affected, so some folks may figure there's no real problem and it won't happen to them and they're good as long as they get their awesome box.  Even if it was the payment processor that was compromised, that doesn't let GB off the hook!  They are still liable to us, the subscribers.

If you are in business, you are responsible for your product and your operations and if one of your vendors screws up, you work your a$$ off to make it right, you don't pretend nothing happened.  Identity theft is serious stuff and I am flabbergasted by GB's silence on this matter.

OMG!!! This is the exact thing that happened to me!! Our CC company said someone was using our card to try to open a line of credit or something with Sony online...so the $1 test charge totally makes sense. I'm so glad I've read through this thread. I will not resub to this company until I KNOW for sure it's secure and they've taken some sort of accountability for this so obvious issue. Wow! I can't believe this. I'm calling on Monday! Very sad as I was soooooooo excited:( for this company

Originally Posted by Angie Tacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yep-same here!  had to close my account...

I will grant GB this--they say they've already processed my cancellation (from the email, NOT from the CONTACT US form, FYI).

I found the relevant NY statute on disclosure but have not had time to research whether use of a third-party vendor limits liability.

It does not negate the ethical obligation. I posted this on Facebook and am emailing it.

Hi! When are you going to inform customers of the credit card breech? Someone got my number and compromised my account  and this must have happened through Glossybox. This happened three OTHER friends of mine. The only common charges we have are Glossybox and the Sony Entertainment charge that canceled our accounts. One friend is in Hawaii, one New York and I am in Georgia. New York DOES have a data breach notification law. I am reading the statute now and it is pretty specific re: ownership of data and liability for disclosure. The statute assigns notification liability to the OWNER of the data. In our cases, you are in fact the owner of the data.

Yikes. Ths is all making me very nervous after having just subscribed when they reopened subs. Thank you ladies for sharing your stories, I am keeping a close eye on my CC account.

Back