Hair Tips & Homemade Treatments

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of great info here, thanks!
smile.gif

After my hair is dry, I put about 3-4 drops of jojoba oil in my hands and rub my hands together well. Then I rub the oil all over my hair from the top of my ears down. My hair is BSL, coarse and prone to frizziness, and the oil makes my hair soft and smooth and shiny. If you have thin hair you may only want to put in 1-2 drops of oil.

In the above, instead of jojoba, some people like to use coconut oil or shea butter. The best kind of shea butter is unrefined from Africa with the healing properties intact. You can use a small amount as a leave in to make your hair look soft and shiny, or overnight as a conditioning treatment.

If leaving overnight, saturate your hair, put in a shower cap, then wash upon wakening the next morning.

After I wash my hair, I like to use clear Aloe Vera gel (not the green color) as a leave in. This takes care of the frizzies. It also adds some body and curl definition. One brand I like to use is Fruit of the Earth.

I might occasionally put a small amount on the canopy of my hair for frizz control also.

some great tips, sometimes i dont think i look after my hair as much as i should

Thank you all for the great tips. I am new to the site and I have some hair challenges and I can't wait to try some of the tips I have read.

I literally do the shea butter or the jojoba oil every day and my hair is loving it. Its natural and it works great. I messed up my hair by getting highlights and instead of getting just the roots done the hairstylist was doing from the roots to the ends each time. So now I have dry and damaged hair from the bleach. I have stopped highlighting, and am just dyeing my hair now. Its less damaging.

So, watch out for excessive dyeing and highlighting, they should just do the roots for touchups. I didn't know that
frown.gif

i second you on shea butter gina. it's surprising how a simple thing can make your hair so stunning. i also love using helianthus oil, and coconut oil, my favorite because it also leaves a delicate smell of coconut on your hair.

I am new here and I have to say this forum is great..
smile.gif

I will try to use lemon when I rinse my hair and the mask with avocado and other tips..Where do you find shea butter? I've only heard about it as an ingredient in cosmetics. It is also called karite.

An other great mask that I use regularly contains eggs and castor-oil..it has great results.
wink.gif

I'd like to know what else you've tried..
biggrin.gif

thanks for the great black hair tips. i am also researching natural products for skin, hair and overall health. this is great. thanks again.

For all the girls w/curls....SALINE SOLUTION. I use it as a curl activating rinse after conditioning my hair. Works wonders!

Originally Posted by Gail Evans /img/forum/go_quote.gif Hi guys, could you tell me what this mysterious 'amla' is, and where is it available?GE.

For all ye people mystified by the mysterious "AMLA", it is a fruit very commonly found in India. It is also powdered and sold for medicinal/aesthitic uses. Try looking for Amla powder (or powdered amla) packets at Indian grocery stores or at a health food store. If you do go to an Indian grocery store, you can also find some hair oils with Amla in them. Areetha (Reetha) and Shikakai are fruits as well. We get these in India and I believe even these are sold in powdered form. Again, the source would be an Indian grocery store. There are some Indian brands of shampoos that have Areetha and Shikakai as ingredients. I am not sure about a hair oil having these, but it is a possiblity. I buy the hair oil with Amla and douse my hair with it occassionally. That does the trick. Occassionally, I use a seven oils mixture I bought at Sally's. Amla helps in preventing hair graying. The powder can also be consumed. It is slightly tart, but you can gulp it down with water. My mom sent me another form of Amla, which is cut and dried and salted and eaten as a refreshment. I munch on this a lot and my hair gets the necessary nutrition from just devouring the amla.Hope this helps.

PS: Try an internet search. You might find something and but the stuff online.

EDIT: Try looking for Amla juice too. That works just as well.

Awesome thread. BTW, does anyone know if a recipe for making "Hair Serum" for frizzy hair exists? Thanks.

Back