*Holy Crap (HC)* List

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UGH The Yes To Carrots Shampoo and Conditioner -- I still haven't recovered from the bad hair days it caused!! I got it during the $2 sale, but I haven't been able to chuck it because I hate wasting money. I'll probably give it to my sister and hope it works for her. Because of it, I sold my Yes to Blueberry S/C on ebay and will probably do the same with my two YTB face wipes. I'm too scared to use any of their products ever again!
SAME. ok I thought I was the only one. I bought it because the Gloss Moderne high gloss shampoo was making me a *little* flaky. Using the Yes to Carrots shampoo & conditioner made my scalp look like it was breaking off or something. Giant flakes. I also had a ton of bumps that would turn into giant scalp-zits. It was painful and DISGUSTING. I have since switched to Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo and conditioner. My scalp calmed down immediately and normalcy (and typically nice hair) returned.

I got the YTC shampoo and conditioner during the $2 sale as well but haven't tried it yet...you guys are making me afraid to try it!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

SAME. ok I thought I was the only one. I bought it because the Gloss Moderne high gloss shampoo was making me a *little* flaky. Using the Yes to Carrots shampoo & conditioner made my scalp look like it was breaking off or something. Giant flakes. I also had a ton of bumps that would turn into giant scalp-zits. It was painful and DISGUSTING. I have since switched to Trader Joe's tea tree shampoo and conditioner. My scalp calmed down immediately and normalcy (and typically nice hair) returned
The same scalp zit thing happened to me with Deva Curl products.  I used Organix Tea Tree to fix it, I wish I had a Trader Joe's near me. I hear so much good about their products. 

Quote: Originally Posted by mrst909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I got the YTC shampoo and conditioner during the $2 sale as well but haven't tried it yet...you guys are making me afraid to try it!
I've also used the YTC shampoo/conditioner and I didn't have a bad reaction to it, I just didn't like it enough to rebuy.  Give it a try, it might be your HG, you never know!  And if your scalp doesn't like it, there's two of us who were able to fix angry scalps with tea tree products. 

Quote: Originally Posted by mrst909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I haven't tried the carrots one, but I LOVE the cucumber one! It works really nicely on my hair and it's the only thing I've tried so far that will let my hair go for more than 24 hours without being a total greaseball while simultaneously not stripping or drying it out.

I haven't tried the carrots one, but I LOVE the cucumber one! It works really nicely on my hair and it's the only thing I've tried so far that will let my hair go for more than 24 hours without being a total greaseball while simultaneously not stripping or drying it out.
I have been using the blueberry ones and I like them.

The same scalp zit thing happened to me with Deva Curl products.  I used Organix Tea Tree to fix it, I wish I had a Trader Joe's near me. I hear so much good about their products.  I've also used the YTC shampoo/conditioner and I didn't have a bad reaction to it, I just didn't like it enough to rebuy.  Give it a try, it might be your HG, you never know!  And if your scalp doesn't like it, there's two of us who were able to fix angry scalps with tea tree products. 
I will definitely try it, the horror stories are just making me a little nervous :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I will definitely try it, the horror stories are just making me a little nervous :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
TBH I loved it when I first tried it! I might have posted that it felt like a cure! You never know. Plus, tea tree oil products helped clear out the reaction straight away.

La Vanilla deodorant at Sephora b/c it broke out my underarms really bad. I wanted to try this out because I heard aluminium in deodorants is bad for you and I went back to using dove despite it having that bad ingredient in the deodorant, but i'm no longer dealing with skin irritation that causes me pain.

NARS Sheer Glow. Everyone raves about this stuff, so I got a couple of samples from Sephora to give it a go. Tried the first color (Gobi) and it looked amazing. At first. By the end of the day my skin had taken on this horrifying, disgusting grayish-greenish color that I really can't even describe. The best explanation would be that my skin looked like a zombie extra from The Walking Dead. :scared:

I thought maybe the weird color was because it was a yellow base, and I am neutral/leaning yellow. So I tried Sibera. It was a bit pale, but didn't look bad. However, at the end of the day my skin looked as bad, if not worse than with Gobi. I am devastated, 'til this very day! That is one foundation that I would never wear again.

Oh, the Fresh Sugar hate makes me sad. I am slavishly devoted to that stuff, and I have crazy dry lips thanks to Accutane in my teens. It's the only thing that has an effect longer than 5 minutes.

HC products for me:

The blue "cooling" Boscia mask, oh my goodness, I had to do labor breathing to get through the first few minutes. Like Icy Hot on your face...times a thousand. My skin didn't react badly or anything, it was just a really unpleasant experience.

Stila lip glazes and that god-awful clicky pen. Horrible applicator aside, I just haven't found the colors to be anything special and they're neither very pigmented nor very glossy. Just sorta there.

Smashbox powder highlighters--not sure if they still make these or what they were called, but I had a quad from a while back that was just nonexistent on the skin, no matter which color. No sheen, no glow, no color, nada.

Bite Agave Lip Mask--I mentioned my chronic dry lips, right? I thought this sounded perfect and it got great reviews, so even though it was expensive I bought it. I did NOT realize that it's essentially glorified lanolin. And it performs exactly like lanolin....lanolin that I can get for a fraction of the price (and even have on hand already, left over from breastfeeding hell with my littles). So, not necessarily a terrible product, just waaaay overpriced and overhyped.

I can't stand the Maybelline BB cream. It went on all streaky and wore off within a few hours. It also left my face feeling sticky. I also can't stand ELFs baked bronzer. It is waaaay to shimmery and didn't go on very well.

Both have already been mention.  My vote goes to:

Nars lip gloss in orgasm.  I believe this shade was made popular by Kim Kardashian.  This product gives lip gloss a bad name due to its smell, tacky feel and messy application.  I am glad I gave Lip Gloss in other brands a chance after this stink bomb.  The Nars blush in the same color was deemed great for any complexion.  I didn't find it great for mine.  I don't look a thing like Kim so, it was probably a stretch anyway.

Great Lash by Maybelline.  I stopped wearing mascara for many years because I thought there was something wrong with my face that caused this mascara to make me look like Rocky Raccoon.  It was so darn popular it had to be me. It took getting a few free samples in gift sets to realize that not all mascaras would do this. 

TheBalm in Hot Mama!! I love this color, it's beautiful but my face turns red where I apply it and becomes hot and inflamed so you don't see the blush you see my skin turning red!

Michael Marcus eyeliner (tried it in the shade Midnight) - I received it in a beauty sub box and it was just awful. It says that it's made from Japanese wax to help glide on effortlessly. Ohhhh, my. I was tugging on my eyelid so much just to SEE the darn thing and I really couldn't see that I had any on at all. Barely any pigment whatsoever.

Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream - so ORANGE, just SO ORANGE. In pretty much almost every shade. Who has that much orange in their skin tone other than Oompa Loompas? LOL

Ole Henriksen Truth Creme Advanced Hydration - I know some people love it, I do. I actually adore their Truth Serum...however the smell of the Truth Creme is HORRIBLE to me. I can typically overlook a smell if the product works well, but this is like....I don't know....it's like rotting, moldy bitter oranges with no sweetness whatsoever.

Nicka K Makeup Cleansing Tissues - The weave of the tissue is super scratchy. My face is always red afterwards even if I'm barely applying any pressure at all. You can use these on your eyes at all since it pulls on the skin too much to remove makeup.

Starlooks False Eyelashes - I have never had a problem applying falsies. I learned how to apply them when I was 12 at my ballet studio. I had SUCH a hellish time using their eyelash glue and getting the eyelashes to apply. The glue took forever to dry and when it did it peels off the skin way too easily. They just popped right off within the hour of applying.

Haha, I will probably add more to this list later...but these are the first things that pop into my head!
Oh man, I'm so with you on that Ole Henriksen Truth Creme. I also use and love the serum but the smell to me reminds me of orange flavored medicine or something. 

Benefit They're Real Mascara - I think it hates me. 

Urban Decay Eyeliners - They seem to fade and smudge really easily. 

Sephora Liquid Eyeliners - I got 2 on sale and, while the colors are really pretty, they flake off once they're dry and smear horribly when wet.

Laura Mercier Foundation Primer Radiance Bronze - Um, no. Dries WAY too quickly, streaks horribly and gives an orange tint to any foundation I put on top of it. 

Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade - One of those things I just don't get what the hype is all about. I love the duo powders, and even the brow pencils, but the pomade looks way too unnatural and harsh, even when blended out with a brush.

Revitalash - No change in eyelash growth or density. Made my eyes water and sting. 

And this makes me really sad but the Too Faced Melted Longwear Lipsticks! I love love love the colors but they didn't last long at all and left my lips feeling really gritty and dry, even with a lip balm underneath. So sad  :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I love this thread! Here are the ones that are definitely not going on my list of loves:

Benefit Bad Gal Lash. I've gotten a few little deluxe sizes and even a couple of full sizes over the years and they'll continue to be passed along to friends. It just feels incredibly thick and heavy on my lashes, takes forever to dry and they always ended up clumpy. Not really all that impressed.

Be A Bombshell Cosmetics. Pretty much... anything. I've gotten a few products in Ipsy bags from back when I was still subscribed and they performed poorly, the packaging felt so super cheap, and I looked them up to see how much they cost and I was shocked at how much they cost. I've passed on/thrown out all the stuff that I have gotten from them.

Fresh Lip Tints. This is what? Just some overpriced lip balm, at least that's how it seemed. The Sugar Rose is kind of a pretty color, but not enough to justify the price.

Dermologica. I can't remember what it's exactly called, it's that powder that's like a scrub or something? Yeah, but anyway, it made my face freak out and I got some of the nastiest cystic acne from it. Ew.

Tarte Lipsurgences. These aren't awful, they're pretty okay and they do come in some nice colors but they're a little expensive and a lot of the ones that I got in a holiday set last year are pretty drying. I prefer the Clinique Chubby sticks.

I'm sure there's more that I'll come across now that I'm trying to clear up my stash, but for now that's all I can think of off the top of my head!

I love this thread! Here are the ones that are definitely not going on my list of loves:

Benefit Bad Gal Lash. I've gotten a few little deluxe sizes and even a couple of full sizes over the years and they'll continue to be passed along to friends. It just feels incredibly thick and heavy on my lashes, takes forever to dry and they always ended up clumpy. Not really all that impressed.

Be A Bombshell Cosmetics. Pretty much... anything. I've gotten a few products in Ipsy bags from back when I was still subscribed and they performed poorly, the packaging felt so super cheap, and I looked them up to see how much they cost and I was shocked at how much they cost. I've passed on/thrown out all the stuff that I have gotten from them.

Fresh Lip Tints. This is what? Just some overpriced lip balm, at least that's how it seemed. The Sugar Rose is kind of a pretty color, but not enough to justify the price.

Dermologica. I can't remember what it's exactly called, it's that powder that's like a scrub or something? Yeah, but anyway, it made my face freak out and I got some of the nastiest cystic acne from it. Ew.

Tarte Lipsurgences. These aren't awful, they're pretty okay and they do come in some nice colors but they're a little expensive and a lot of the ones that I got in a holiday set last year are pretty drying. I prefer the Clinique Chubby sticks.

I'm sure there's more that I'll come across now that I'm trying to clear up my stash, but for now that's all I can think of off the top of my head!
So the consensus about the Be A Bombshell line is that no one likes it! Except for me lol. I actually really like the sample lip crayon I got in my ipsy bag. I also liked the highlighter stick that I got in my ipsy bag a while back, though you have to be very light handed when you apply it. 

Guess I'm the weird one! 

So the consensus about the Be A Bombshell line is that no one likes it! Except for me lol. I actually really like the sample lip crayon I got in my ipsy bag. I also liked the highlighter stick that I got in my ipsy bag a while back, though you have to be very light handed when you apply it. 

Guess I'm the weird one! 
I've liked some of the BaB products I've got too, though I think they are way overpriced. The "one stick" was awful, and the eyeshadow was just okay, but I really liked the crayon, the lip gloss, and a pink blush that I think I got in a Birchbox ages ago. I also have a liquid liner pen sitting in my drawer, but I haven't tried it yet.

I've come to the conclusion I hate Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes. HATE. I know so many people love this but I just can not. My lashes are long and thin (unlike me!) and this stuff just gets ALL over my eyelids, no matter how I apply it. It's just wayyy too wet for me and it seems like it never dries. I always end up with mascara smudgies all over my eyelids. Sucks because I like how it makes my eyelashes look....it just gets EVERYWHERE on me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Last edited by a moderator:

Guess I'm the weird one! 
I like the BaB blush and the Bora Bora eye shadow quad I got!  But their prices are definitely just too high. 

To keep on topic:: 

Adding the Maybelline FitMe foundation stick to my HC list.  This stuff would NOT stay put on my face. My skin is combo, leaning oily.  I was excited that it was advertised with the "shine free" core thinking that would help mattify.  I tried so many different primers and it just like oozed off of my face after 1-2 hours.  Yuck! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back