*Holy Crap (HC)* List

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to also add that although I love NARS, their nail polishes are very average in comparison to most I have used. They don't produce a color payoff as good as others. With Disco Inferno, I had to apply several times in order to achieve a fairly decent color payoff.
YES I AGREE!!! I got Ethno Run Left & Ethno Run Right as an anniversary gift. WORST. FORMULA. EVER. I also feel like the brush is too thin *and* too long to make applications clean and easy. The formula was super runny, super patchy and streaky, and was just overall bad for the $30 price tag. I would've returned it if it wasn't a gift. Seriously the worst polish I've tried.

Cowgirl Ranch Hand Cream-this is a solid lotion and it would not melt in my hands. I had to hold it near a heat source and then I would be able to get a little in my hands but chunks would not melt at all and I ended up with little pieces of wax everywhere. Plus what I was able to get to melt left my hands tacky. I even had my husband give it a go and he experienced the same problems. Finally tossed this crap product, lol

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cowgirl Ranch Hand Cream-this is a solid lotion and it would not melt in my hands. I had to hold it near a heat source and then I would be able to get a little in my hands but chunks would not melt at all and I ended up with little pieces of wax everywhere. Plus what I was able to get to melt left my hands tacky. I even had my husband give it a go and he experienced the same problems. Finally tossed this crap product, lol
That sounds awful!

L'Oreal lipsticks - ew, the smell. The colour riche sticks AND liners smudge almost immediately, too.

Also (maybe it's just me) but the Essie nail polishes seem to be more chippy than others. I don't get why everyone likes it.

@katydid278 I totally agree with you on the L'oreal lipsticks - Im glad I'm not the only one who just can't stand the smell on those things - I was totally bummed when the limited edition LeMatte and LaLaques came out because the colors were so amazing - but I cannot get myself to get passed the smell (and taste) of them.

Quote: Originally Posted by Katydid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  L'Oreal lipsticks - ew, the smell. The colour riche sticks AND liners smudge almost immediately, too.

Also (maybe it's just me) but the Essie nail polishes seem to be more chippy than others. I don't get why everyone likes it.

I agree!  I really like all their colors, but for me they seemed a little too runny.  No matter what I did the polish got all over the skin around my nails (eek!).  I only have one and I haven't used it a little while, so maybe I need to give it another try.  But I too keep wondering why everyone thinks they are so great.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

YES I AGREE!!! I got Ethno Run Left & Ethno Run Right as an anniversary gift. WORST. FORMULA. EVER. I also feel like the brush is too thin *and* too long to make applications clean and easy. The formula was super runny, super patchy and streaky, and was just overall bad for the $30 price tag. I would've returned it if it wasn't a gift. Seriously the worst polish I've tried.

It's definitely one of them. I hope NARS will improve their polish because their other products are fantastic.

Quote: Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hahahaha...Totally agree with this! I have never smelled a Calvin Klein perfume that actually seems 100% like it was made for a woman.
I still like Obsession, although I think it's been reformulated and isn't as rich now as it was 20 or so years ago. And I'll still wear CKOne, mostly during warmer months, on the weekends. It's no longer the go-to that it was in the 90's

Quote: Originally Posted by Bflopolska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I still like Obsession, although I think it's been reformulated and isn't as rich now as it was 20 or so years ago. And I'll still wear CKOne, mostly during warmer months, on the weekends. It's no longer the go-to that it was in the 90's
I can remember like it was yesterday, although it has been more than 20 years, my grandmother always wore Obsession.  I used to watch her get ready and then she would let me play with her makeup, and her vanity area always smelled like Obsession and I always loved the way it smelled.  I don't think it smells the same way anymore either because I will stop at the counter and smell it just to bring back those memories.  

Quote: Originally Posted by luckyme502 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I can remember like it was yesterday, although it has been more than 20 years, my grandmother always wore Obsession.  I used to watch her get ready and then she would let me play with her makeup, and her vanity area always smelled like Obsession and I always loved the way it smelled.  I don't think it smells the same way anymore either because I will stop at the counter and smell it just to bring back those memories.
My mother would have torn me up had she caught me in her makeup! (Not that she wore much--an eyebrow pencil, a powder compact, and a Kickass Red lipstick, and that was IT.) But she did let me play with her perfume, which began a lifelong obsession (no pun intended) with fragrance and molded me into a genuine perfume whore. She liked her scents very rich and exotic--Youth Dew might have been the one American brand she bought, and there were others from Poland and Russia in cut crystal bottles with bulb atomizers. One of them may have been a vintage Krasnya Moskva/Moscou Rouge. Thanks to this, I horrified both my mother and the nuns who taught me by buying my very first perfume (Emeraude) at the ripe old age of seven. The nuns were horrified becasue it was perfume on a young child; my mother, not because it was perfume but because it was Emeraude, which she believed too mature for a little girl.

All this rambling leads into my putting current formulations of my old beloved Emeraude into this list. The color has been changed from a rich peridot shade to a vibrant green that looks unnatural; it is less spicy, more chemical-y. Until Coty digs into their vaults and resurrects the older recipe, I'll satisfy my desire for the first fragrant love of my youth by trolling for vintage bottles on decanting and antique sites.

Quote: Originally Posted by Wida /img/forum/go_quote.gif

*Organix Tea Tree scalp therapy shampoo/conditioner - actually broke my scalp out with big painful pimples, ouch! I've never, ever experienced that before. It also left my scalp dry, flaky and itchy - also things I've never struggled with. Needless to say, they went into the trash.

Oh no!  This is was a miracle for me--  the only thing that cleared my scalp up after I had a horrible reaction to DevaCurl products.  My scalp was flaky, itchy and bumpy BEFORE I started using the Organix Tea Tree-- definitely not after.  If you didn't have those issues to begin with, maybe the astringent properties in the tea tree oil caused problems. 

Aw naw guys, a lot of Great Lash hate in here.  It works really well for me, as does Benefit They're Real! which a lot of people here also have bad luck with.  Those work for me, but here are some things that don't:

Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara: I hate hate hate to hate this.  It makes my lashes look ridiculous, long, thick, dark, dramatic, amazing.  However, I've thrown away multiple pairs of (expensive astigmatism) contacts when I am out somewhere and it starts flaking into my eyes.  I feel like Cinderella, must get home before my lashes turn back into pumpkins.

Tarte Lipsurgence: I find them drying.  I wouldn't dislike them so much if there weren't so many cheaper knock offs that work BETTER for me.

Loreal True Match Foundatioun: I see this in so many articles about drug store makeup secrets, MUAs favorite bargains, etc.  I love finding a color that matches me so well (C1) but it just sits on top of my skin.  No matter how much I blend or what tool I use it looks blotchy and weird.  I can only use it if I mix it with oil, usually argan or marula, first.  I think my skin is too dry, Korean BB creams full of oil and silicone are my dream.

I think so much of this is chemistry, no wonder I'm addicted to samples.

Quote: Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Aw naw guys, a lot of Great Lash hate in here.  It works really well for me, as does Benefit They're Real! which a lot of people here also have bad luck with.  Those work for me, but here are some things that don't:

Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara: I hate hate hate to hate this.  It makes my lashes look ridiculous, long, thick, dark, dramatic, amazing.  However, I've thrown away multiple pairs of (expensive astigmatism) contacts when I am out somewhere and it starts flaking into my eyes.  I feel like Cinderella, must get home before my lashes turn back into pumpkins.

Tarte Lipsurgence: I find them drying.  I wouldn't dislike them so much if there weren't so many cheaper knock offs that work BETTER for me.

Loreal True Match Foundatioun: I see this in so many articles about drug store makeup secrets, MUAs favorite bargains, etc.  I love finding a color that matches me so well (C1) but it just sits on top of my skin.  No matter how much I blend or what tool I use it looks blotchy and weird.  I can only use it if I mix it with oil, usually argan or marula, first.  I think my skin is too dry, Korean BB creams full of oil and silicone are my dream.

I think so much of this is chemistry, no wonder I'm addicted to samples
I agree with Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara. So many flakes.

Quote: Originally Posted by Meggpi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Loreal True Match Foundatioun: I see this in so many articles about drug store makeup secrets, MUAs favorite bargains, etc.  I love finding a color that matches me so well (C1) but it just sits on top of my skin.  No matter how much I blend or what tool I use it looks blotchy and weird.  
Agree! Honestly, though, I think they changed their formula. Used to love the stuff. Even better than many dept store brands, because it would last all day, and totally matched my skin. It's not like that anymore. Then again, maybe my skin chemistry changed?

It's funny how much L'Oreal is on my Holy Crap list, and yet there's a few products (Their double extend mascara, for example) that I just adore!

Ok I have a new addition which kind of shocked me because its raved about and so loved on YouTube.

Essence gel liner 

This dried up on my faster than anything I've every experienced. It wasn't expensive but I definitely would not be repurchasing, I  hadn't used it that often  and have sooooo much product left but I can't use it - its so thick and dry it does not apply well.

So bummed - meanwhile my Elf gel liner which i don't  like as much, is still smooth as silk and i've had it way longer.

Quote: Originally Posted by MUMami /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've only had the EOS strawberry -I wouldn't recommend this for moisturizing dry chapped lips, I found it best to use a base under a drying long wear ormatte lipstick where you want some moisture but not so much that it messes up the lipstick or make it slip too much.

Weird - for me it's about 100x better than the Fresh Sugar balm I'd been using. Maybe it just likes my LUSH lip scrub. ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Quote: Originally Posted by MUMami /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  If I remember I think it was just the original scent - but the experience was so horrifying Im to afraid to try different scent. Cat pee on pits = not cute.

The apricot variety is worse. It smells like dirty undies.

EOS lip balms, for sure. To my nose, these smell like a cross between musty socks & crusty underwear. Needless to say, that smell turns the flavor of these things into something that's utterly gagtastic to me *bleh* They also do absolutely nothing to moisturize my lips, or even keep them from drying out during the day. Useless product. I second the Tarte Lipsurgence. They dry my lips & feel gritty *all day long* Even after the color wears off. Hate them. Disappointing because Tarte does make other products which are quite nice. All Covergirl & Maybelline mascaras. ALL Covergirl products, for that matter. The only Maybelline product I'll use is the Color Tattoos, but not that many of them. I also second any brand's long-wearing gloss-type garbage, drugstore brands or otherwise. They peel & flake all day long. All Urban Decay products. There are so many I can't stand that I can't pick just one. If I wanted to walk around looking like a 10 year old glitter-bomb who just got her first ever makeup, I'd take a shower in the stuff. Their liners also never stay put on me. Really don't like anything they make. Benefit products. Every single thing I've tried from them, from face to eye to lip products bit goat balls. Horrible staying-power/texture/etc. Big fat pass! Guerlain loose powders. Hate them. Nothing but overpriced, cheaply made, talc-based rubbish. I do like their Meteorites, though. Although they're also talc-based, they're good products. Started collecting past limited edition ones last year. Found a couple that double as really gorgeous blushes. Can't stand NARS for the most part. I've returned everything I bought from them except one limited edition blush (Boys Don't Cry), a limited edition blush/bronzer/highlighter palette (not because I liked it; I was lazy), their radiant loose & pressed powders, as well as one of their eye paints. Other than that....*big wet fart*....I've never been impressed with their collection or quality of blushes, eyeshadows, lip products, shadow pencils, liners or foundations. With the exception of a very *very* few, they're products are incredibly disappointing. Calvin Klein perfumes, *except* for Obsession for women & men, all smell very urinal-like to me. This brand does make some nice cosmetics, though. I've got some CK eyeshadow singles that are AMAZING. Smashbox, the majority of their products. I believe somebody mentioned their gel liners. I second that, along with their pencil liners. Then there's their nasty primer *yuck* that breaks me out, their crappily formulated lip glosses, their cream shadows that actually wear off, their beyond useless eye primer, foundations, sad little cream liner palette etc. The list never ends. I've got one eyeshadow palette from them that is great - I think it's Smokebox, and that's it. Their 2013 Christmas offerings were just as pathetic as the vast majority of their stuff. Hourglass face primer. Yucky, silicone texture. Breaks me out. Does nothing to extend the wear of my foundation. Way overpriced for what it is/does. The only thing they make which I've learned to like are their Ambient Lighting powders, although I prefer Guerlain Meteorites & NARS radiant face powder (loose & pressed). Bobbi Brown blushes & cream shadows. Her blushes are seriously overpriced for the amount of product you get, and they're nothing special. Wet n Wild makes far more pigmented blushes which also wear longer. BB cream shadows are, I've found, horrific. They dry the skin around my eyes, feel like they're pulling the skin around them, & are a witch to build up to any kind of intensity without looking like you got hit in the face with a frying pan. Her Shimmer Bricks are another thing that don't impress me, but they're far better than those stinking cream shadows she cranks out. I like her 'bronzers' however, even though the bulk of them are far from 'bronzing'. At least with those you get a nice texture and far more product for your money. I also like some of her lip glosses & lipsticks, which really wear for a long time & (some) are really well pigmented. Everything Lush, except for Angels On Bare Skin. Their products are yet more that gag me with their scents & quality. I work with natural raw ingredients & essential oils & would torch anything I made if it came out smelling as god-awful as Lush's rubbish. Nearly everything they make irritates my eyes & nose and gives me screaming migraine headaches to boot. Stila lip products. A goopy, nasty, gritty nightmare with the WORST applicator ever. I wind up with more hair on my lips than actual gloss. Love the new lipsticks they came out with a couple of years back, though. Super moisturizing & amazing pigmentation. I've got a couple. Their cream blush is also great. MUF Aqua cream shadows. Drying on my eyes, not enough time to blend them out, crappy plastic jars, the product dries out in the jars at the speed of light, etc. For that price, they better get far better packaging & tweak the formula. NYX lip products. Hate the smell/taste/texture of all of them. Some actually make my lips & tip of my tongue numb, with a nasty chemical taste in my mouth. In addition, I've found that every themed shadow palette they've released is horrible. Powdery, lacking pigmentation, bad quality overall. And those ridiculous roller-ball loose shadows & glitter palettes? Phht! I do like a lot of their other products, though. Blush, shadow singles, cream blush sticks, slide-on liners (they don't budge), fat shadow sticks, several more. They should really improve their lip products & pare down their product line. MAC. Foundations, eyeshadows, eyeshadow palettes (THE WORST), pressed powders, lip glosses, etc. Too many products to mention them all. They're just more overpriced fodder for the toilet which either break me out, cake up, magnify my pores, or which are constantly stuck in my hair. There is very little that they've come out with in the last couple of years that I've been impressed by. I will say, however, that I've gone through 4 tubes of Bare Again lipstick in a very short amount of time. Best everyday product I've found that I can wear with anything from a full face of makeup to a totally bare face. As for Paint Pots, I've only liked a couple out of all the ones they've released over the years. Unfortunately, as with NARS, I've returned almost everything I've bought from them since about 2010-2013. Their product quality & formulations have gone in the toilet for the most part, while Estee Lauder has largely been getting better. Go figger.... Speaking of Estee Lauder....their lip products make me gag with that fake *fig* smell that never goes away. It just lingers like the wet fart above....disappointing, because I do like the formula otherwise. I also love their blushes, which blow most of MAC's away. I like their Double Wear products, too. They really do wear for a very long time, without breaking me out. Juice Beauty lipstick, pressed powder & cream highlighting stick from the Alicia Silverstone line. The worst 'natural', so-called 'organic' product line I've tried. Lipstick: not even the slightest bit moisturizing. It feels like a dry oil going on, and like the pigments weren't properly mixed into the crappy base oils they used. Once applied, it feels like a waxy mess. After it wears off, my lips feel dried out. I seriously make better stuff right in my kitchen with raw, organic bees wax, organic plant-derived oils & mica/iron oxides/pigments. If I can do this, what's their excuse for turning out such rubbish? The highlighter is also a waxy mess with non-existent highlighting. Hell, you can't even use it as a lip product, or a blush, or anything else. Crappy texture with zero emolience. Like trying to color your face with a slightly mushy candle & getting nothing. I expected far, far more from this brand. To make things even worse, Juice Beauty absolutely refuses to publish anything but 5* reviews on it's website. I know because I tried to leave reviews on their site twice, both rejected. And all I saw there was 5* reviews. How convenient....very dishonest company that's pumping out a lot of crap. Hate Dior's lash primer. Complete & utter useless crap. Love their mascaras, though. A lot. Great formulation & brushes. Never flake, smudge or goop my lashes together. Lancome's & Estee Lauder's lash primers are both amazing, however. Giorgio Armani pressed blushes & eyeshadow palettes. How can such products at such a ridiculous price point suck so badly? I'll pay for high quality products, no problem. Unfortunately, these ain't them! Disappointed from the first time I used them. So many many more craptastic products out there. It's shocking, especially when you consider the sheer volume of products on the shelves of so many stores. When are cosmetic/hair care/skin care companies going to get it right? With the technology & ingredients available to even the average person, it's more than possible to turn out nothing but products that are high in quality & fair value for the prices we pay. There's simply no excuse for doing anything otherwise.

WnW MegaLast liquid lipsticks. They SUCK! They made my lips look patchy and weird.

Quote: Originally Posted by satojoko /img/forum/go_quote.gif

MAC. Foundations, eyeshadows, eyeshadow palettes (THE WORST), pressed powders, lip glosses, etc. Too many products to mention them all. They're just more overpriced fodder for the toilet which either break me out, cake up, magnify my pores, or which are constantly stuck in my hair. There is very little that they've come out with in the last couple of years that I've been impressed by. I will say, however, that I've gone through 4 tubes of Bare Again lipstick in a very short amount of time. Best everyday product I've found that I can wear with anything from a full face of makeup to a totally bare face. As for Paint Pots, I've only liked a couple out of all the ones they've released over the years. Unfortunately, as with NARS, I've returned almost everything I've bought from them since about 2010-2013. Their product quality & formulations have gone in the toilet for the most part, while Estee Lauder has largely been getting better. Go figger....
I've never cared a great deal for MAC shadows. The staying power is terrible on me (though to be fair, I have never tried them yet with a primer which may make all the difference.) I do like Fetish lipstick, however!
Juice Beauty lipstick, pressed powder & cream highlighting stick from the Alicia Silverstone line. The worst 'natural', so-called 'organic' product line I've tried. Lipstick: not even the slightest bit moisturizing. It feels like a dry oil going on, and like the pigments weren't properly mixed into the crappy base oils they used. Once applied, it feels like a waxy mess. After it wears off, my lips feel dried out. I seriously make better stuff right in my kitchen with raw, organic bees wax, organic plant-derived oils & mica/iron oxides/pigments. If I can do this, what's their excuse for turning out such rubbish? The highlighter is also a waxy mess with non-existent highlighting. Hell, you can't even use it as a lip product, or a blush, or anything else. Crappy texture with zero emolience. Like trying to color your face with a slightly mushy candle & getting nothing. I expected far, far more from this brand. To make things even worse, Juice Beauty absolutely refuses to publish anything but 5* reviews on it's website. I know because I tried to leave reviews on their site twice, both rejected. And all I saw there was 5* reviews. How convenient....very dishonest company that's pumping out a lot of crap.
Juice Beauty pressed powder...worst. product. EVER. It breaks apart far too easily; apparently there is something in how it's blended, or some imbalance of ingredients there, that makes it ridiculously soft. A brush swiped acrossd the surface broke it up unto large flakes. I gave up. If I wanted a loose product, I'd buy Bare Minerals!

Latest posts

Back