Ipsy: NYX Single Eyeshadows in the September Glambag

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just because something isn't made anymore, doesn't make it bad.  There are lots of colors from other vendors who make special limited runs or it is now sold out in that color.

Geez, I am sorry however I have to agree with DonnaD here.   Lots of overreactions.   I used my purple shadow yesterday and I am still around today to talk about it! lol

Quote: Originally Posted by biancardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  just because something isn't made anymore, doesn't make it bad.  There are lots of colors from other vendors who make special limited runs or it is now sold out in that color.

Geez, I am sorry however I have to agree with DonnaD here.   Lots of overreactions.   I used my purple shadow yesterday and I am still around today to talk about it! lol

I don't think anyone is saying anything is "bad". I think people are double-checking, because using an expired product on/near your eyes could cause infections or other problems. Not an "overreaction", just being cautious. 

I got ES63A Cryptonite

has anyone tried looking up the lot number to see when it was produced? I feel like I've seen that done before on MuT (I believe it was related to a retired lipstick color), but I have no idea which resources to utilize and just google isn't cutting it lol

Quote: Originally Posted by ewiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't think anyone is saying anything is "bad". I think people are double-checking, because using an expired product on/near your eyes could cause infections or other problems. Not an "overreaction", just being cautious. 

I know that my readers, those who came to me, were concerned. I know that as of November 30, 2012 the colors were still sold and I believe were discontinued by early summer (2013). As I said to other people, it doesn't mean the products are expired. To me the failure on the shadows with Ipsy is that Ipsy didn't check to see if the items were available for sale. The failure with NYX is providing the shadows to Ipsy in the first place without having these items for sale even as a "limited edition comeback" like MAC did earlier this year with Candy Yum Yum (which has since been made "permanent" again). Both Ipsy AND NYX could have taken all of these discontinued colors and done a special NYX-Ipsy page with essentially a "Once these are gone it's gone! Stock up while supplies last!" type of promotion. People would have been frenzied to get their hands on the shadows at that point because the colors are no longer sold on NYX's main site. I remember when MAC brought back old discontinued favorites for a "limited time" people went nuts and many of the colors sold out. I believe had NYX went that route with these colors that they could have sold whatever stock they have left via such a sale and not one would have been upset by the fact that discontinued colors were sent out in the first place.

Personally, I will be used the shadow sent to me in my Ipsy bag because it's not expired, just discontinued, but I know I'm irked by the fact that I can't get my hands on a few of the other colors sent out like Golden Poppy and Fahrenheit.

For those curious... Last year I created a "master list" for myself because I wanted to buy more NYX shadows and products without duplicating colors (which I have the habit of if it's a color I like). Here is my list as of November 30, 2012 of known NYX shadows. Most are now discontinued.

ES01 Black ES52 Deep Purple ES115 Yellow Marigold ES02 White ES53A Velvet Suede ES116 Wild Fire ES03 Nude ES54 Cherry ES119A Mellow Yellow ES04 Taupe ES55 Spring Flower ES122 Morocco ES05 Brown ES56 Ocean ES123 Beauty Queen ES06 Dark Brown ES57 Barely There ES124A Dark Navy ES07 Highlight ES58A Peach Bronze ES125 Red Bean Pie ES08A Autumn Sky ES59 Hot Pink ES128A Pure Gold ES09 Deep Bronze ES60A Yellow Funk ES129A Taupe Pearl ES10 Silk ES62A Deep Space ES130A Golden Amber ES11 Iced Mocha ES63A Cryptonite ES131A Dust Sparkle ES12 Golden ES66 Luster ES132A Gunmetal ES13 Root Beer ES67A Vanilla Shimmer ES133A Bright Green ES15 Rust ES68 Golden Orange ES134A Sparkle Cedar ES16 Copper ES70 Princess Pink ES140A Snow Candy ES17 Walnut ES71 Aloha ES141 Asphalt ES18 Sahara ES72A Light Green ES143 Eggplant ES19 Flamingo ES73 Red Head ES144 Daffodil ES21 Frosted Lilac ES76 Prune ES145A Smokey Mountain ES22 Baby Blue ES77A Blue Marine ES146A Sparkle Whie ES23 Pacific ES78A Sensual ES147A Sweet Olender ES24 Herb ES79A Deep Purple ES148 Daisy ES25 Silver ES80A TRUE Taupe ES149 My Favorite Color ES27 White Pearl ES81 Chic ES150A Utopia Gold ES29 Carcoal ES82A Exotic Green ES151A Earthy Shimmer ES30A Hunter Green ES83A Pure Skin ES154 Volcando ES31 Lime Green ES84A Toffee Shimmer ES155A Ultimatum ES32 Purple ES86 Lanikai ES156A Super Creamy ES33 Frosted Flakes ES87 Lime Juice ES159 Midnight ES35 Platinum Pink ES88A Lake Algae ES160 Africa ES36A Charcoal Brown ES90A Extreme Apricot   ES37A Lagoon Sparkle ES93 Atlantic   ES38 Cotton Candy ES94 Luxor   ES39A Fantasy ES95 Hot Crystal   ES40A Frosted Ocean ES96 Hot Pink Glitter   ES41 Tropical ES97 Hot Orange   ES42A Dark Gray ES101 Mermaid Green   ES44 Black Sparkle ES102 Hawaiian Coffee   ES45 Opal ES103 Hollywood   ES46A Navy Blue ES105 Rock   ES47 Kiwi ES106 Golden Dune   ES48 Violet ES107 Vanilla Sky   ES49 Antique Gold ES109 Sunrise   ES50A Skin Tight ES110 Gypsy   ES51A Summer Green ES111 Irises  

Quote: Originally Posted by mommamowad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
   >>>i cant find anyone who also got Fahrenheit  am i the only one??? pretty color but i don't think it will work with my coloring

That color looks so pretty! 

Quote: Originally Posted by DonnaD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  ES128A Pure Gold.  I don't see it on their site but I'm 50 years old.  Makeup never had expiration dates up until what?  10 or so years ago?  I'm alive and kicking, not blind, no lip cancer or arsenic/lead poisoning.  I also don't have OMG my eyeshadow is 2 years old and might kill me issues.  

Yes, I know that there have been more "awareness" issues of ingredients and such in recent years but I believe that younger people freak out needlessly.  I'm more worried about what's in my water than I m about how old my eyeshadow is.  Seriously.

Yeah, I'm 48 and will be 49 in a cpl months. I had eyeshadows from the 80s up until the Federal Floods in New Orleans (2005) I had keep some GORGEOUS Diane Von Furstenberg, Ultima II, and other designer colors from discontinued lines. My eyes never fell out. LOL 

icon_eek.gif
 <----------------------- i still haz tu 

Quote: Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

>>>Personally, I will be used the shadow sent to me in my Ipsy bag because it's not expired, just discontinued, but I know I'm irked by the fact that I can't get my hands on a few of the other colors sent out like Golden Poppy and Fahrenheit.

I do agree that it was poor marketing by both companies. It does seem like Nyx has a lot of seasonal changes with their colors. Most of the very high end designer makeup lines (the ones that are associated with couturiers) often have ONLY seasonal colors, so you snooze you loose. I would also love to be able to purchase the Farenheit color. 

How is this an overreaction? People are just being cautious. That's great that you used yours and didn't have any issues, but there are lots of people who would rather make SURE the product is 100% ok before putting it near their eyes.. Not worth risking an infection over a cheap eye shadow. 

I'm more irritated about the fact that Ipsy is sending out products that aren't even available for purchase directly from the company any more. Part of the reason I sub to Ipsy is to try NEW things...not items that are on their way out. If I wanted to buy stuff like that, I'd hit the clearance rack at Ulta. 

:clap

ES128A Pure Gold.  I don't see it on their site but I'm 50 years old.  Makeup never had expiration dates up until what?  10 or so years ago?  I'm alive and kicking, not blind, no lip cancer or arsenic/lead poisoning.  I also don't have OMG my eyeshadow is 2 years old and might kill me issues.   Yes, I know that there have been more "awareness" issues of ingredients and such in recent years but I believe that younger people freak out needlessly.  I'm more worried about what's in my water than I m about how old my eyeshadow is.  Seriously.
:clap. Couldn't agree more! The chances of a POWDER product going "bad" are like zilch! I promise people, you'll survive.

Quote: Originally Posted by allistra44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How is this an overreaction? People are just being cautious. That's great that you used yours and didn't have any issues, but there are lots of people who would rather make SURE the product is 100% ok before putting it near their eyes.. Not worth risking an infection over a cheap eye shadow. 

I'm more irritated about the fact that Ipsy is sending out products that aren't even available for purchase directly from the company any more. Part of the reason I sub to Ipsy is to try NEW things...not items that are on their way out. If I wanted to buy stuff like that, I'd hit the clearance rack at Ulta. 

Seriously. It's just tacky and cheap of them to send out discontinued items. It was bad enough that they started clearing out their own backstock by putting it in the bags, now this.

This. I'm one of the ones who wanted the Fahrenheit color and it sucks to not be able to purchase it :/

I received Hot Crystal.  I'm glad, because I just read on totalbeauty that white is in!

Quote: Originally Posted by ewiggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

discontinued doesn't mean expired.  There are many sites that have sales on items that are discontinued.  I do not believe that nyx would put its reputation on the line by infecting its customers.

In my opinion, some of the comments on this thread are a tad bit over-reactionary.   What is great is that we are all entitled to our opinions so long we are not insulting to members directly.

Quote: Originally Posted by allistra44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The latter I can understand - I totally get that.

However, the former - do you think that NYX would put its reputation on the line by infecting its customers?  And many places have huge sales on items that will be discontinued.  Discontinued doesn't mean that it is expired. 

The overreaction is some of the comments here - just email NYX and ipsy to find out.  Simple.  Not everyone got an eyeshadow that was "discontinued", so I feel that these were not expired items

btw, I am not the only one that thinks this nor was I the first one on this thread to say it.  Not sure why I am being singled out here.  This is an opinion and if I felt this strongly about this product, I would just toss it - not even swap it.     I am not here to argue about a 5 dollar eyeshadow and I would not have even said anything (but I thought it) until another member mentioned it first (and I thought she was more blunt about it that I was)

Quote: Originally Posted by mindcaviar /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I'm 48 and will be 49 in a cpl months. I had eyeshadows from the 80s up until the Federal Floods in New Orleans (2005) I had keep some GORGEOUS Diane Von Furstenberg, Ultima II, and other designer colors from discontinued lines. My eyes never fell out. LOL 

icon_eek.gif
 <----------------------- i still haz tu 
honey dont get me started on Ultima ll i still have PALETTES of that ! im 49 and they will go to the grave with me ! my daughters love the eighties colors but i admit the fallout is terrible now because of the age. i have to mix it with primer first

Quote: Originally Posted by MissTrix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Seriously. It's just tacky and cheap of them to send out discontinued items. It was bad enough that they started clearing out their own backstock by putting it in the bags, now this.
Considering the clusterf*ck of DHL shipping last month, IPSY could/should have added an NYX eyeshadow as a 6th item to each bag, let us all know it was new but discontinued and most people would have been thrilled.

I agree that putting a discontinued item isn't unsafe or wrong but yes it's oh so tacky.

Quote: Originally Posted by MakeupGalore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

claps.gif
. Couldn't agree more! The chances of a POWDER product going "bad" are like zilch! I promise people, you'll survive.

The Look Bag sent out a Stila eyeshadow that had been discontinued for "at least three years" (according to the Stila rep) and it DID go bad. It reeked like black pepper when it shouldn't have in the first place. Thankfully, the NYX shadows are not expired as they were discontinued earlier this summer.

The Look Bag sent out a Stila eyeshadow that had been discontinued for "at least three years" (according to the Stila rep) and it DID go bad. It reeked like black pepper when it shouldn't have in the first place. Thankfully, the NYX shadows are not expired as they were discontinued earlier this summer.
It very well could be that these shades were not discontinued when ipsy decided to put them in the bags. I am guessing it takes many months for items to go from testing to actually appearing on our doorstep. These could have been newer colors if ipsy tested them last year, but a company like NYX moves through colors so fast. It's not as if they discontinued these shadows all together. Has anyone found a dupe for Fahrenheit?

Back