Julep: August 2013 (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They should at least release the product details to ease all our anxiety a bit. It can be a deciding factor for a lot of ladies.

Originally Posted by foxyroxy-26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They should at least release the product details to ease all our anxiety a bit. It can be a deciding factor for a lot of ladies.
that actually is a good idea since we could know shade names/details but not see them.  it would be fun, even if they only released one a day for a couple days beforehand.

also, i really don't like the mystery maven in comparison to the gold boxes. it's totally fine for them to do whatever but that was a lot more exciting. that could happen to any of us and would happen to most people over the course of a few years with julep whereas i don't even look at the mystery maven prize since they have what, nearly 20,000 mavens? the slim chances just make it not that fun. even with the march collection, where they were giving more gold boxes but only half the collection instead of the full one, it was a lot more exciting. plus, i don't understand it from a marketing standpoint when higher chances of winning would probably make more people take their boxes each month. one person getting a prize each month, no matter how huge, creates no incentive... right? anyways, not complaining as it's still awesome that they do it; i just would love for them to put out the gold boxes. looking forward to the random freebie each month is more exciting to me than the mystery maven prize.

Originally Posted by r4chel77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

that actually is a good idea since we could know shade names/details but not see them.  it would be fun, even if they only released one a day for a couple days beforehand.

also, i really don't like the mystery maven in comparison to the gold boxes. it's totally fine for them to do whatever but that was a lot more exciting. that could happen to any of us and would happen to most people over the course of a few years with julep whereas i don't even look at the mystery maven prize since they have what, nearly 20,000 mavens? the slim chances just make it not that fun. even with the march collection, where they were giving more gold boxes but only half the collection instead of the full one, it was a lot more exciting. plus, i don't understand it from a marketing standpoint when higher chances of winning would probably make more people take their boxes each month. one person getting a prize each month, no matter how huge, creates no incentive... right? anyways, not complaining as it's still awesome that they do it; i just would love for them to put out the gold boxes. looking forward to the random freebie each month is more exciting to me than the mystery maven prize.
I agree with this.  Ever since they stopped doing the golden boxes, if I am on the fence with the colors I just skip since I know there's basically zero chance of winning the 1 grand prize.  Before that, I always thought 'hey, at least I might get a golden box' and I would go for it.  Of course, if the colors were awesome it wouldnt really matter either way, but the last few months I feel like they were just ok and a shot at and extra incentive would've probably pushed me to take my box.  Plus, I know most people really like the mystery maven goodies, but imo I havent really seen anything in those that was my style or that I would really like even if I somehow did win.  I wish they would do they do the golden boxes again, even if they reduced it to 25 boxes or something because it was always really fun to see the posts of them on Facebook.

This is off topic, but I wish the names were something other than female names.  There's zero chance of me remembering the color I put on was Debra...

I'm glad they did away with the Golden Maven boxes because they didn't offer upgrades for the whole collections when they were doing them. They may have sent more of them out than the Mystery Maven boxes, but I never received one, and it would have ended up costing me a whole lot more than fifty bucks to get everything I wanted. It may not be as exciting, but given my virtually nonexistent luck in winning things, I prefer the upgrade option and Mystery Maven program.

Originally Posted by angismith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Freak accident last night .... just had new manicure dry and was doing some organizing and updating of my Julep box. I still had about three or four colors without Swatch Me stickers. So I put the stickers on and started swatching. I got to Drew, a hot rose pink, and I must have pulled the cap and twisted at the same time .... the glass bottle broke off square at the top of glass and hot pink polish went all over my shirt and one of my newly-manicured nails. No more Drew ... and the perfect manicure for today ruined .... no time to redo it before doctor's appt. at 9am! Be careful taking caps off, ladies!
Yikes! You should email them about that. They'll probably send you a new one and hopefully work on any flaws in their design. Those skinny bottles are always getting knocked over by me because of their weight distribution and I always worry I'll end up cracking one.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad they did away with the Golden Maven boxes because they didn't offer upgrades for the whole collections when they were doing them. They may have sent more of them out than the Mystery Maven boxes, but I never received one, and it would have ended up costing me a whole lot more than fifty bucks to get everything I wanted. It may not be as exciting, but given my virtually nonexistent luck in winning things, I prefer the upgrade option and Mystery Maven program.
even still, i'd rather see that ten to one hundred mavens win a small luxurious prize than one person get something huge. even if the golden box wasn't the upgrade but was a small pair of diamond studs or a gift card for ice cream, it would be much better imo.

Freak accident last night .... just had new manicure dry and was doing some organizing and updating of my Julep box. I still had about three or four colors without Swatch Me stickers. So I put the stickers on and started swatching. I got to Drew, a hot rose pink, and I must have pulled the cap and twisted at the same time .... the glass bottle broke off square at the top of glass and hot pink polish went all over my shirt and one of my newly-manicured nails. No more Drew ... and the perfect manicure for today ruined .... no time to redo it before doctor's appt. at 9am! Be careful taking caps off, ladies!
You should email them. Sometimes glass bottles are defective. I know it happens across brands, and even drugstores will replace them!

Originally Posted by kellerman83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is off topic, but I wish the names were something other than female names.  There's zero chance of me remembering the color I put on was Debra...
I agree. It is so hard to remember the names. But I am starting to after my second month of having a Maven window open to review before you get your box. And talking on here helps too. 

Originally Posted by Alicia Loves /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yikes! You should email them about that. They'll probably send you a new one and hopefully work on any flaws in their design. Those skinny bottles are always getting knocked over by me because of their weight distribution and I always worry I'll end up cracking one.
I just sent an email to customer service, Alicia. We'll see what they do. I only asked to have Drew replaced since it was part of a set.

even still, i'd rather see that ten to one hundred mavens win a small luxurious prize than one person get something huge. even if the golden box wasn't the upgrade but was a small pair of diamond studs or a gift card for ice cream, it would be much better imo.
This is the first I have heard of the Golden Maven boxes. I like that idea! So much better than seeing just one person win a lot.

I got my Summer Nights Mystery Box, Version 1 yesterday. I had ordered the Coco offer and they shipped together. Coco is oxblood, which is supposed to be a hot color this fall according to May Allure magazine. In my mystery box, in addition to Kyla and Monica, the two glitters, I got Lucy, a deep burgundy creme, and Ellie, a pale frosty pink. Both gorgeous. I thought Lucy and Coco were very similar, but Lucy is so dark it is nearly black. And I got my first lip gloss, Zinnia. I thought it would be as dark as the bottle, but was not and was really gorgeous and TASTED good. I had moisturizer-tasting lipstick/gloss! Meanwhile, only 5 days until the new window opens! GO, JULEP!

technically three days since it seems we get to see the collection on the 19th

... yay!

also, on the names- i find it super super easy to remember the julep ones over other brands'. i have 53 julep polishes and you can pull any one of them out and i'll know the name lol

I got my Summer Nights Mystery Box, Version 1 yesterday. I had ordered the Coco offer and they shipped together. Coco is oxblood, which is supposed to be a hot color this fall according to May Allure magazine. In my mystery box, in addition to Kyla and Monica, the two glitters, I got Lucy, a deep burgundy creme, and Ellie, a pale frosty pink. Both gorgeous. I thought Lucy and Coco were very similar, but Lucy is so dark it is nearly black. And I got my first lip gloss, Zinnia. I thought it would be as dark as the bottle, but was not and was really gorgeous and TASTED good. I had moisturizer-tasting lipstick/gloss! Meanwhile, only 5 days until the new window opens! GO, JULEP!
I thought oxblood was last year?

I don't know about oxblood last year. Just started renewing my interest in beauty products after many years of doing NOTHING because I thought ONLY my child's needs mattered. Now he is grown, and I am trying to find a new direction. I just subscribed to Allure, Ipsy, Birchbox, and Julep. Julep is far and away my favorite of the subscription programs. I have problems with my eyes which is in the process of getting corrected, so my reading is slow and the May issue of Allure was my first in a long, long time. They sent (I am wrong, it is the June issue) June and July on the same day. I am just now getting toward the end of the June issue and it has a feature article about how hot oxblood lips and nails on the Fall 2013 runways were. This was read a week after Julep ran the special on Coco for $7 for one day only, which I, of course, being the obsessive-compulsive person that I am, rapidly grabbed as soon as I received the email! I don't know when it debuted for Julep.

I don't know about oxblood last year. Just started renewing my interest in beauty products after many years of doing NOTHING because I thought ONLY my child's needs mattered. Now he is grown, and I am trying to find a new direction. I just subscribed to Allure, Ipsy, Birchbox, and Julep. Julep is far and away my favorite of the subscription programs. I have problems with my eyes which is in the process of getting corrected, so my reading is slow and the May issue of Allure was my first in a long, long time. They sent (I am wrong, it is the June issue) June and July on the same day. I am just now getting toward the end of the June issue and it has a feature article about how hot oxblood lips and nails on the Fall 2013 runways were. This was read a week after Julep ran the special on Coco for $7 for one day only, which I, of course, being the obsessive-compulsive person that I am, rapidly grabbed as soon as I received the email! I don't know when it debuted for Julep.
Coco was in that fabulous May 2013 collection! It was my first maven box.

technically three days since it seems we get to see the collection on the 19th

... yay!

also, on the names- i find it super super easy to remember the julep ones over other brands'. i have 53 julep polishes and you can pull any one of them out and i'll know the name lol
I am exactly like you. I know all the names of all the colours of polishes I have and I think I've crossed the 100 polish mark. I even know the month they came out in and what year. I'm a little obsessed like that. But women's names are a lot easier to remember then sayings or corky play on word names like other polish brands.

& to add to that I like that they are women's names because I have a hope inside of me that they will release polishes with the names of the women in my life so I can give them a polish with their name on their birthday or any other occasion. Plus I am praying they release a polish with my name..

Back