Julep: August 2013 (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by kellerman83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm new to MUT and Julep and it took me two months to become sickenly obsessed.  I don't know how it happened, but Julep has a great thing going for them, for sure.  Seriously, how can I be so excited over nail polish??  Meh, who cares!  Is it the 19th / 20th yet???
Haha, exactly!

Originally Posted by kellerman83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting.  I just emailed photos of my Drew to cs.  My brush was frayed.  I wonder if there's just a problem with Drew?
I think so. I got Drew a couple months ago, and the brush was also frayed. Julep sent out a replacement brush :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I was browsing the Julep website tonight and under the Maven Exclusive shop the Boho and Classic intro boxes have a new product in them, It is the Mint Condition Pedi Crème. Maybe this will be a product in the August box.

I don't like summer colours in general, which is what Julep has been pushing since.............January lol. Remember that neons set.

So yeah, completely over summer, bring on the fall. (Though I have to say, July was way more fall-esque than summer for me. I just didn't care much for the combos.) 

http://www.julep.com/boho-glam-intro-box-7803.html

http://www.julep.com/classic-with-a-twist-intro-box-7805.html

They are starting to introduce pricey items that aren't part of monthly boxes (like the brush for example). So who knows

A lot of the beauty sites have been talking about nudes for summer. Does Julep have a good nude creme?
For a nude polish, I'm obsessed with RGB in Doll!! Julep does have a great nude selection but I don't have any of them so I can't make a referral.

Originally Posted by MrsYaYaMom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was browsing the Julep website tonight and under the Maven Exclusive shop the Boho and Classic intro boxes have a new product in them, It is the Mint Condition Pedi Crème. Maybe this will be a product in the August box.
 I love their Instant Warming Foot Scrub so I wouldn't mind that at all :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />. I love trying out new products for my feet more than I do for my hands,face or my hair - hope that's not too weird! But I like giving myself weekly pedicures especially in the summertime!

Originally Posted by jessicalriley /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oxblood is an apt name for the specific color it describes. All of the other reds listed refer to a different shade on the red-brown spectrum for me.
hm that is a good point you bring up. When I think of Mahogany, Maroon or Crimson I think of it as being more red then brown while I suppose Oxblood is more brown then red.

I just got an e-mail advertising Julep's Freedom Polymer Topcoat.  I wonder if the fact that they're pushing it means that it will be an option in the August box?  I'm new to Julep and the Maven program, so I haven't yet built up experience of their patterns for including things they're pushing on their customers.  It just seems crazy to me that someone would pay $18 for a topcoat in their teensy little bottle, while if it was an add-on for five bucks, I'd happily give it a try.

Has anyone tried the topcoat?  I seem to recall having read some reviews in people's blogs that said it didn't work, that polish dried slowly and then smudged.  Julep, of course, maintains that it works.

Originally Posted by greatbleuheron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just got an e-mail advertising Julep's Freedom Polymer Topcoat.  I wonder if the fact that they're pushing it means that it will be an option in the August box?  I'm new to Julep and the Maven program, so I haven't yet built up experience of their patterns for including things they're pushing on their customers.  It just seems crazy to me that someone would pay $18 for a topcoat in their teensy little bottle, while if it was an add-on for five bucks, I'd happily give it a try.

Has anyone tried the topcoat?  I seem to recall having read some reviews in people's blogs that said it didn't work, that polish dried slowly and then smudged.  Julep, of course, maintains that it works.
They included it in our boxes when it first came out.  I personally really love this topcoat.  It works best if you wait a little for you polish to dry- most importantly for nail art- but using the quick dry drops have worked great for me to get it dry enough.  People want to compare it to seche vite, but even if seche works better I won't use it because of all the chemicals.  It does help my manicure last much longer than a normal topcoat, and I have found very little shrinkage, I only get it if I'm not careful about covering the whole nail.  I have been waiting for it to be an add on or in the secret store.

Originally Posted by greatbleuheron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didnt get the email, but they send a lot of emails like that.  The top coat is usually an add-on for 9.99 I think.  I do like the freedom topcoat a lot because it is super shiny but it doesnt dry as fast as Seche Vite (at least for me).

Originally Posted by gemstone /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They included it in our boxes when it first came out.  I personally really love this topcoat.  It works best if you wait a little for you polish to dry- most importantly for nail art- but using the quick dry drops have worked great for me to get it dry enough.  People want to compare it to seche vite, but even if seche works better I won't use it because of all the chemicals.  It does help my manicure last much longer than a normal topcoat, and I have found very little shrinkage, I only get it if I'm not careful about covering the whole nail.  I have been waiting for it to be an add on or in the secret store.
Thank you!  It's good to know that some people have found that it does work.  Yes, I'd love it if it were an add-on or in the secret store--I'd definitely try it then.  Eighteen bucks?  No way.

Originally Posted by Lolo22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I didnt get the email, but they send a lot of emails like that.  The top coat is usually an add-on for 9.99 I think.  I do like the freedom topcoat a lot because it is super shiny but it doesnt dry as fast as Seche Vite (at least for me).
Ah, more information!  Thanks!  I could maybe do ten bucks.

they topcoat doesn't work for me. took forever to dry and mudded up my polish.

Julep sent me an unordered quick-dry top coat when it was first launched and told me to keep it, so I tossed it in with my other top coats unopened and forgot about it. I found it the other day: It was only half full and completely unusable. I know it was completely full when I got it, and I didn't use it, so it dried out in the bottle in storage. Lesson learned: Tighten the caps when you get them if they're not sealed.

I love the freedom top coat.  It is important to wait 5-10 minutes for your polish to dry (depending on the brand's dry time) before applying it though.  You don't put it on when your nails are still wet.

I also don't bother with the whole "dries in 2 minutes under a light bulb" thing anymore either.  I did that for like the first month or two, and would always mess them up by hitting my nails on the light bulb.  If you just paint it on and sit your hands still for 5 minutes, it really does dry hard and shiny and you're good to go.  I like to paint my nails while watching TV.  It times out easily by commercials/coats of polish, and keeps me sitting my hands still.

I only have shrinkage if I don't cover the entire nail. Last time I used it I missed a tiny streak along the edge of one nail, and it caused a thin line of space between that uncovered spot and the rest of the nail.  Also, make sure you don't get it on the skin of your cuticle, because it will allow moisture under it and it will start to peel off. 

The only other top coat I have good luck with is Sally Hansen's Insta-dry in the red bottle.  It dries fast too, but the shine doesn't last as long as Julep's freedom. 

I love Sally Hansen's insta dry. I've never used the julep freedom top coat though.  I might have to add it on this month... Unless I spend all my money on other add ons.  
rolleyes.gif
 I'm so impatient!!

8mL for $10 is not worth it to me. There are so many other just-as-good TC options where the product-to-ratio quality is much better. I have mine (and grabbed another in a box, but I'll probably be selling that). Mreh.

Also, I know it's to protect the TC, but I hate not being able to see how much of it I have left.

Originally Posted by Genevieve Barba /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I love Sally Hansen's insta dry. I've never used the julep freedom top coat though.  I might have to add it on this month... Unless I spend all my money on other add ons.  
rolleyes.gif
 I'm so impatient!!
The Sally Hansen is my HG top coat I have been using it for years, I try new ones but I always go back to that one.

Back