Julep: August 2013 (Spoilers)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the top coat question!  I'm not only new to MUT *and* Julep Maven, I'm also new to regular nail polish use (and boy am I building up one hell of a collection!), so I appreciate hearing opinions on what does and doesn't work with top coats.

Originally Posted by foxyroxy-26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Text Julep to 33733 & you should receive a 50% off coupon code.
Thanks will try it.
icon_smile.gif

i'm totally in need of spoilers, as lame as that is. except you're all nutso about julep just as much as me!

Originally Posted by greatbleuheron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ah, more information!  Thanks!  I could maybe do ten bucks.
Yes, $10 is much more reasonable for a top coat that you use with every manicure! Has anybody compared the Freedom top coat side-by-side with Seche Vite? I don't know that I am willing to give up Seche Vite for an unknown product.

Originally Posted by Jac13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks will try it.
icon_smile.gif
Sorry, I'm a little late to this party.  Can someone tell me what kind of coupon code you get if you text Julep to that number?  Is it a coupon that will work on any order from Julep, or is it just about getting started on the Maven program?  If it's workable on any order, I'll try it too!

Thanks to everyone who weighed in on the top coat question!  I'm not only new to MUT *and* Julep Maven, I'm also new to regular nail polish use (and boy am I building up one hell of a collection!), so I appreciate hearing opinions on what does and doesn't work with top coats.
I am only two months old, greatbleuheron! I got the intro box in May, the June box through customer service because the Maven window had already closed, so July was my first experience as a Maven. Julep has tapped into a great marketing technique with a product that has survived the recession and is booming full speed ahead, as is my knowledge about manicures and polishes and colors and COLLECTIONS! Ha! I admit I did learn a lot from YouTube from MissJenFABULOUS's basic hand care video, and Robin Moses's videos about basic tips. I signed up for Birchbox and Ipsy at the same time as Julep. I love the subscription programs, but have decided after 3 boxes from all of them, to let my Birchbox and Ipsy subscriptions go so that I can concentrate on my manicure collection! Mostly Julep!!! This will allow me to get the add-ons every month with the money I would have spent on the other two products. I came up with nothing in three months of those two subscriptions that I fell in love with, only confirmed that I didn't like Oscar de la Renta's Something Blue which I really wanted to love. I got my first Mystery Box this month from July. I have hit the Secret Store both in June and July, I have ordered several "special" one day onlies ads from Julep, I hit the Warehouse Sale in June. So Julep goodies FAR OUT RANK the other programs. There is no comparison! I read that lipstick is used as a measurement of government evaluations of consumer spending because lipstick survived previous hard financial times. It has not done as well this time, but I think the secret is that nail polish has taken it's place as the one luxury item that women of all financial situations is still willing to find the money to buy. It transcends all age groups and finances.

i saw in self or women's health that polish is one of the few things to have seen an increase in purchasing

i saw in self or women's health that polish is one of the few things to have seen an increase in purchasing
Historically, lipstick used to be the big recession-proof product. I'm not surprised that it's changed to nail polish now for several reasons I need to type out on my laptop instead of peck out on my phone.

Quote:Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Historically, lipstick used to be the big recession-proof product. I'm not surprised that it's changed to nail polish now for several reasons I need to type out on my laptop instead of peck out on my phone.

Meaganola, I gave up trying to type on a smartphone .... except when I am waiting in doctor's offices or something like that. If I'm not bored to death, whatever I have to say can usually wait until I get back home to my laptop!

Originally Posted by r4chel77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think my purchasing alone could account for those stats.
icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep. I'm not sure what your reasons are, but I think one of the really valid reasons is that the average price of lipstick has become more expensive than the average price of nail polish. In drugstores, the "average" polish is under $5, while the average lipstick is probably between $7-10. That has to be a huge contributing factor, more than anything else.

Originally Posted by angismith /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am only two months old, greatbleuheron! I got the intro box in May, the June box through customer service because the Maven window had already closed, so July was my first experience as a Maven. Julep has tapped into a great marketing technique with a product that has survived the recession and is booming full speed ahead, as is my knowledge about manicures and polishes and colors and COLLECTIONS! Ha! I admit I did learn a lot from YouTube from MissJenFABULOUS's basic hand care video, and Robin Moses's videos about basic tips. I signed up for Birchbox and Ipsy at the same time as Julep. I love the subscription programs, but have decided after 3 boxes from all of them, to let my Birchbox and Ipsy subscriptions go so that I can concentrate on my manicure collection! Mostly Julep!!! This will allow me to get the add-ons every month with the money I would have spent on the other two products. I came up with nothing in three months of those two subscriptions that I fell in love with, only confirmed that I didn't like Oscar de la Renta's Something Blue which I really wanted to love. I got my first Mystery Box this month from July. I have hit the Secret Store both in June and July, I have ordered several "special" one day onlies ads from Julep, I hit the Warehouse Sale in June. So Julep goodies FAR OUT RANK the other programs. There is no comparison! I read that lipstick is used as a measurement of government evaluations of consumer spending because lipstick survived previous hard financial times. It has not done as well this time, but I think the secret is that nail polish has taken it's place as the one luxury item that women of all financial situations is still willing to find the money to buy. It transcends all age groups and finances.
Hi angismith!  You and I are piling up Julep polishes at an alarming rate!  I got the intro box in June, and my first real Maven box at the end of June/beginning of July.  But all of this was initiating by seeing some random internet stranger's link to the warehouse sale, where I did major damage. 

You make a good point that these smaller make-up items are fairly recession proof.  Personally, I'd rather buy lots of nail polish than lots of lipstick, since I generally know what lipstick I like and don't want to experiment in ways that make my face look nasty!  Meanwhile, you can go hog wild with all kinds of different nail polish colors and all that might go wrong is that your nails get a little bit stained.

Hi angismith!  You and I are piling up Julep polishes at an alarming rate!  I got the intro box in June, and my first real Maven box at the end of June/beginning of July.  But all of this was initiating by seeing some random internet stranger's link to the warehouse sale, where I did major damage. 

You make a good point that these smaller make-up items are fairly recession proof.  Personally, I'd rather buy lots of nail polish than lots of lipstick, since I generally know what lipstick I like and don't want to experiment in ways that make my face look nasty!  Meanwhile, you can go hog wild with all kinds of different nail polish colors and all that might go wrong is that your nails get a little bit stained.
Exactly! I am very picky about my lipstick (still haven't found my favorite yet though). How we feel about our beauty is interwined with our self-image and lipstick is part of that. But like you say, what can go wrong with your nails but a little bit stained? Gel polishes are, however, another story for another day. I like the freedom to do a basic manicure or an intricate nail art. And if you screw up buying the wrong color for you ... well, there's usually someone - a mother, sister, niece, BFF, church member, teenagers - that would be happy to take it off your hands, so to speak!

My friend just signed up for the intro boho glam box and is getting the picture below. I don't ever remember this cream. Maybe it's in the August box? Or perhaps just a new addition...its not on sale individually on the site.

Originally Posted by Alicia Loves /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My friend just signed up for the intro boho glam box and is getting the picture below. I don't ever remember this cream. Maybe it's in the August box? Or perhaps just a new addition...its not on sale individually on the site.

I think you may be the first to break the first of the August surprises, Alicia! Mint Condition along with that beautiful mint polish .... and the blue matches the packaging. I did notice during the Summer Days/Summer Nights, that everyone got Glycolic Hand Scrub in updated packaging. It has been available on the site, but marketed in black and white tube. Ooooh, I can feel the excitement building. Am I going to upgrade to everything? I thought I never would, BUT ... you know the saying .... NEVER say NEVER!

Haha, and now I'm ridiculously happy that I finally have my first heart. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I was the same way when I got mine, LOL! Silly, isn't it, how the tiniest things can just make our DAY!

I just can't resist the Julep sales and specials. Today was an especially bad medical day. it took three tries to get my IV in and I had to drink the three huge bottles of disgusting barium stuff. I guess it's time for more nail polish. Btw Angie.HowI did that medical appointment with the messed up nail polish go?

Originally Posted by swimsalot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just can't resist the Julep sales and specials. Today was an especially bad medical day. it took three tries to get my IV in and I had to drink the three huge bottles of disgusting barium stuff. I guess it's time for more nail polish.

Btw Angie. I did that medical appointment with the messed up nail polish go?
Are you talking about when the bottle of Drew broke on me Sunday night? I got all the Drew cleaned up except on my index finger. No one even noticed. I worried for nothing! I contacted Customer Service and they are shipping me a new bottle of Drew! How cool is that?!

Try to hang on until Friday night/Saturday morning before you buy any more polish! The Maven window will be open .... and the decisions will have to be made! Do we stay strong? Or cave ...... anybody know if you can use partial Jules/partial payment to pay for an upgrade?

I can see them accidentally letting us see the boxes early, but I really don't think an intro box would have a brand new product that hasn't been in a maven box yet.. but a pedi cream is totally appropriate for August imo so who knows!

Latest posts

Back